The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Audio releases Mu, the ultimate glue compressor
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dror520 View Post
I don't see the API 2500 as an option in Trackcomp.
It is beta. New version of TrackComp will include api2500, zener, 1176 (another rev... as I remember rev a).
Check DMGaudio TrackComp thread here on gearslutz, Products Older Than 2 Months... There is a link to beta version. Also eqs will be updated (beta as well).
Old 9th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Sorry but... Who cares you don't like it.. ?
That kind of comment gives the impression that you do.
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Sorry but... Who cares you don't like it.. ?
Sorry ... Who's talking with you?
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Addict

I'm mixing a rap song atm and I'm in love with the character this Mu showing on the master bus. Slowest attack, fastest release with 2 dB of GR
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiccoloComin View Post
Good morning, gentlemen AND ladies too !

We are not going to engage in this huge debate about the pros and cons of iLok .

As some of you noticed already, we released an update of Mu (1.0.4) today. We'd like to add a few details we forgot to mention in the release notes. Some of your feature requests were accepted!

You can now link the input and output knob together to keep the volume constant by holding down the SHIFT key.

Also, we've prepared a little game for you! Here are some blind tests between the Mu and the hardware, with identical threshold / attack / release settings between the machine and the plugin.

Will you be able to distinguish the hardware from the plugin? Which clips sound best according to you?

PM to get the answers!

Niccolò
On cheap Audio Technica headphones with iPhone:

Bass B = hardware

Drums A = hardware

Mix A = hardware

When are the results?!
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
OK, let's get some clarification here:

*Which* hardware unit is this thing trying to duplicate: the vari-mu? the fairchild? some sort of pultec?

I'm guessing Vari-Mu. But it would be nice to get some sort of official statement.

I listened to the demo on the website through a reasonably good set of headphones. The "embedded hardware" version sounded the closest to the original on 3 of the 4 tracks. However, there was something way off on track three (metal drum loop): both the "native competitor" and "embedded competitor" sounded drastically different, even distorted. I'm chalking that up to some sort of production/distribution error of the files.

So on the three tracks that were not mauled, the "embedded competitor" consistently sounded closest. The Pulsar version sounded a bit thicker and less controlled than the original... a little less treble, and a little more bass compared to the original. Very close, but not as close as the "embedded hardware" and subtly not quite as good.

This is subtle stuff, a first listen, and on prosumer headphones. I'm interested in listening to this in a better context.

The economics:
Hardware Vari-Mu (if this is what is actually being modeled): $4400 for one "instance", plus cabling.
UAD Vari-Mu: $300 for unlimited instances (plus the implied cost of the UAD hardware).
Apollo MU: $55 for unimited instances, no additional hardware cost.
10 years gearslutz badge and you re askin what sort of pultec this might be emulating ?
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
That kind of comment gives the impression that you do.
Fair enough
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I'm mixing a rap song atm and I'm in love with the character this Mu showing on the master bus. Slowest attack, fastest release with 2 dB of GR
It rocks on everything that need to be softened and hasn't been recorded in the "analog realm" (you get my point). So I guess it should do wonders here indeed !

I also used it on a voice-over track (not sexy I know) and it has a very nice way to make the vocal smoother (especially if you use the sidechain EQ but it may not be even necessary sometimes).
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
It rocks on everything that need to be softened and hasn't been recorded in the "analog realm" (you get my point). So I guess it should do wonders here indeed !

I also used it on a voice-over track (not sexy I know) and it has a very nice way to make the vocal smoother (especially if you use the sidechain EQ but it may not be even necessary sometimes).
Now this is luxury !!
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Now this is luxury !!
Hahaha !

I remember I wanted to spice things up during one of those Voice-Over sessions.

I recorded the vocal with Neumann M 149 to a Thermionik Tube Pre -> GML 8200 EQ -> Distressor -> API 550A (early 70s one).

Then I processed the recorded vocal through a Chandler Limited TG12345 EQ going into a Tube-Tech Multiband Band Optical Tube Compressor.

Next to that running a Thermionik Culture Vulture and a Thermionik Phoenix Vari-Mu in parallel (and maybe another Distressor in parallel too, I don't really remember). Printing everything back to one mono track.

THAT is luxury .

I had to try at least, that's when you try that you learn or discover =).
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hahaha !

I recorded the vocal with Neumann TLM 149 to a Thermionik Tube Pre -> GML 8200 EQ -> Distressor -> API 550A (early 70s one).

Then I processed the recorded vocal through a Chandler Limited TG12345 EQ going into a Tube-Tech Multiband Band Optical Tube Compressor.

Next to that running a Thermionik Culture Vulture and a Thermionik Phoenix Vari-Mu in parallel (and maybe another Distressor in parallel too, I don't really remember). Printing everything back to one mono track.

THAT is luxury .

Must have been an expensive voice over...
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
Must have been an expensive voice over...
Haha same price as the other for them. I just felt keen to experiment that day.

I always thought that VO are the best moment to experiment or try crazy stuff. Because they usually don't really care if you used a saturated compressor or a clean one. As soon as the vocal sound clear and detailed that's about it.
I remember doing an old post about this on my IG : https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjp57PWH4Lb/
Even though since this post I tried few different things haha.

Boosting the hell out of 50hz on an API 550A is for instance something I like on VO that I discovered by trying. I now am able to use this trick if the singer need a super close-big vocal sound during a sparse interlude in a song.

Anyway that's a bit OT sorry ^^.
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Haha same price as the other for them. I just felt keen to experiment that day.

I always thought that VO are the best moment to experiment or try crazy stuff. Because they usually don't really care if you used a saturated compressor or a clean one. As soon as the vocal sound clear and detailed that's about it.
I remember doing an old post about this on my IG : https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjp57PWH4Lb/
Even though since this post I tried few different things haha.

Boosting the hell out of 50hz on an API 550A is for instance something I like on VO that I discovered by trying. I now am able to use this trick if the singer need a super close-big vocal sound during a sparse interlude in a song.

Anyway that's a bit OT sorry ^^.
Always good to experiment. That's how some of the best music ever has been created.
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hahaha !

I recorded the vocal with Neumann M 149 to a Thermionik Tube Pre -> GML 8200 EQ -> Distressor -> API 550A (early 70s one).

THAT is luxury .

Sauvage va !! Ca devrait etre interdit !! Lol
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

has anyone tested this on some heavier genres? Great intro price!!
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
has anyone tested this on some heavier genres? Great intro price!!
I compared it extensively with the softube weiss and tdr kotelnikov on heavy rock stuff on the master bus and liked the softube the best every time.
It's a great comp though !
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Still incredible after two weeks of using the Mu on the master and other places, a can't live without plug-in along with IK Tapes, track through tapes put Mu on the master instant smile!
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Which settings did you use for the comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
I compared it extensively with the softube weiss and tdr kotelnikov on heavy rock stuff on the master bus and liked the softube the best every time.
It's a great comp though !
Old 11th October 2019
unr
Gear Maniac

I used the Limiter preset on a Techno track master channel before going into Pro-L2 and it was great (just adjusted Attack/Release a bit afair). Sounded big and could reduce the gain in the Pro-L.
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

This thing really needs calibration or ceiling threshold.

Edit: user error :¬)

Last edited by b0se; 11th October 2019 at 02:47 PM..
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
This thing really needs calibration or ceiling threshold.
Why do you think so ?

I haven't encountered any problems with it personally. Maybe I missed something out.
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do you think so ?

I haven't encountered any problems with it personally. Maybe I missed something out.
I would like to know, too.

Just drive the input, no?
Old 11th October 2019
Here for the gear

Hello everyone,

Thanks to all those who participated in the blind test, that was fun ! Here are the correct answers.

I accounted for the PM and thread responses, 16 answers in total.

Bass
A : Hardware
B : Pulsar Mu
36% guessed the hardware correctly
87% preferred the Mu

Drums
A : Pulsar Mu
B : Hardware
25% guessed the hardware correctly
50% preferred the Mu

Mixbuss
50% guessed the hardware correctly
55% preferred the Mu
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks to all those who participated in the blind test, that was fun ! Here are the correct answers.

Bass
87% preferred the Mu

Drums
50% preferred the Mu

Mixbuss
55% preferred the Mu

wow ! nice
Old 11th October 2019
unr
Gear Maniac

So Mu is BAA

Had some fun revisiting the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBorg View Post
Gosh this is hard! I'm in no way implying I got golden ears and I would be suprised if I got this right but here we go!

Bass = B (Most sure of this one for some reason. B seems to bring out low level stuff nicely and controls it more to my taste and I expect it to be HW)

Drums = A (This one was a little tougher, but I made my choice after listening to how the resonance of the kick drum was brought out in example A and it felt more like HW)

Mix = A (Very tough, but like all examples one seemed more compressed and the other more open and preference may affect my judgement here. "A" seemed more compressed/glued and I liked the punch and it seemed smooth and HW like. But very unsure of this one... )

Thats my 2 cent at least, hope i'm not 100% wrong!
Quote:
Thanks for doing this! Enjoy these.

Bass: Although mono, B sounds bigger, it fills the room more and has extra weight.

Drums: Tougher. A sounds darker, slightly tighter compression.

Mixbus: A sounds bigger and has a slightly better groove. Wanted to bop to that more than B. Transients controlled a tad more. Nice track, who is it?

So I would guess that the HW is BAA. Happy to be completely wrong
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do you think so ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
I would like to know, too.

Just drive the input, no?
My fault, VUMT was bypassed! I was hitting the plugin at very low levels. At 0VU all is fine and dandy

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Bass
87% preferred the Mu

Drums
50% preferred the Mu

Mixbuss
55% preferred the Mu
Congrats! I had by A/B wrong with drums (BBA were my pics), but still picked Mu on both mixbus and bass!

I've been reaching for this more and more over the last week.
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Bass
87% preferred the Mu

Drums
50% preferred the Mu

Mixbuss
55% preferred the Mu
So I was 100% wrong lol, which makes me a very happy plugin user!
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
My fault, VUMT was bypassed! I was hitting the plugin at very low levels. At 0VU all is fine and dandy

Congrats! I had by A/B wrong with drums (BBA were my pics), but still picked Mu on both mixbus and bass!

I've been reaching for this more and more over the last week.
Hahaha gotcha !
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's a great plugin, but to me, the hardware had a lot more glue on the mixbuss.

It was the only one that I preferred the hardware, but actually the only one that matters, because I normally just use the Manley Vari-Mu (UAD or IK until now) on the stereo bus.

Not to say that I wouldn't get a similar result with the plugin tweaking it more.
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Bass
87% preferred the Mu

Drums
50% preferred the Mu

Mixbuss
55% preferred the Mu
I was wrong on the bass (prefered Mu) and Drums I did not known but very largely preferred Mu.

On the mixbus tho' I highly preferred the hardware and got it right.

So I am very happy to have this plugin. I rarely buy new compressors plugins. I often try them and ditch them. But this one is a keeper for me (I know it's a ultra common sentence here in GS haha). Well done !
I really think they should upload those files on the website instead of the one they used.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search