The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SKnote release MainEQ, great control on the mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Wet/Dry slider (W/S) scales all the absolutes value of the gains, so it is not a parallel processing, no phase involved at all.
I always wanted a global scaling control on an EQ.

Last edited by quintosardo; 3 days ago at 09:03 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Maybe on more:
It is difficult to see what filter is what point and which are active and which are disabled. It can get cluttered when you have more complex filtering.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I agree
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Launch offer extended to 10 Oct because of previous lack of a demo version
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ok, I think this is really special. I mean, a different way of using a modern EQ.

Working on a raw mix, we use several instances of MainEQ to fit and gue tracks competing with the main one, the vocals.

Acoustic guitar, choir, electric guitar are set to work well with the vocals, while keeping overall levels unaffected.

1) Insert MainEQ on vocals track, engage the analyser, reset the maxes by double-clicking on the screen, wait until a significative curve is acquired.
2) Press "Flat" in the analyser section to automatically set the whole EQ to the shape of vocals' track.
3) Press Copy to get a copy of the whole instance (the overall new preset) to system's clipboard (lets us go from an instance to another one). DISABLE the EQ on this track, MainEQ was needed only to track the spectrum.
4) Insert an instance of MainEQ on each one of the competing tracks (acoustic guitar, choir, electric guitar). On every instance, press Paste and then Invert. Sets the EQ on each track as the opposite of the spectrum of the main, vocals track.

Quick and effective, sets the track to complimentary spectra. The tracks get easily glued together while increasing clarity for vocals without increasing real levels.

Yes, of course, nothing can replace an expert mixing engineer (even the idea wouldn't be nice) but this can be an extremely useful reference.

(Track by Ron Marinelli)

Last edited by quintosardo; 6 days ago at 05:09 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Answering to avrequest for more details, In this example, this is what we did:

The spectrum analyser stores max levels for all bands so, after some meaningful signal has passed through it contains the frequency envelope of the track.
The "Flat" function automatically engages all the filters and sets them to the opposite of the shape of the spectrum.
We don't keep it here (the instance is set to slot b for a disabled preset) but simply copy the settings with the Copy button.
Another instance is inserted on a competing track (e.g. guitar) and the preset is pasted, then inverted. The net result is to apply something that follows the spectrum of the first ttack, so carving valleys where that signal is less strong, so leaving space where it is needed.

The workflow of this test is straightforward: follow the spectrum envelope, copy/paste elsewhere.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A first set of presets being released in a couple days. Please let me know if there is any request about specific uses.
Working on presets for single tracks, inter-track, mixing and for mastering, too. Including complex de-essing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also please let me know if the ten minutes demo mode looks comfortable
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As requested, we are adding the 24 dB vertical scale and the 6 dB for mastering.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Main EQ Demo (randomly) crashes Logic.
Any fix for this in the pipeline ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Uh, no reports like this anymore.

Could you please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it for details?

Absolutely hot fixes.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Uh, no reports like this anymore.

Could you please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it for details?

Absolutely hot fixes.
Thanks Quinto,
To be more clear, I am talking about the Demo-Version which is labeled V 2.01.
I like it, but I still hesitate to purchase bc of the occasional crashes.
If you promise this is fixed in the commercial version I'll give it a go.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.simmons View Post
Thanks Quinto,
To be more clear, I am talking about the Demo-Version which is labeled V 2.01.
I like it, but I still hesitate to purchase bc of the occasional crashes.
If you promise this is fixed in the commercial version I'll give it a go.
Of course it must be fixed NOW, but yours is the only report like this so a few details would be helpful
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Reset band to zero would be a nice addition IMO.
Double or single right clicking might be good for this ?

Also reset individual controls in the filter box, freq,gain,target,ceiling ,treshold (double or single right click again?)

Also can possibly be put in utilities for more workflow options to reset each band individually in the drop down menu.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Nice, that menu can grow forever. A "reset current band" could be handy.

On another subject: I don't feel the interface crowded at all. Curious about what you are thinking about this. A button to switch single curves to invisible: would it be so important to justify a dedicated control?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice, that menu can grow forever. A "reset current band" could be handy.

On another subject: I don't feel the interface crowded at all. Curious about what you are thinking about this. A button to switch single curves to invisible: would it be so important to justify a dedicated control?
or colored control points can help a little. Best is dont display filter if it is not used/active/added - so delete/add functions and clean plate (or limited) to start with.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
I was thinking when band is active color F1,F2,etc. the same color than the band.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Uploading the video: MainEQ as a drums re-tuner by formant shifting...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Uploading the video: MainEQ as a drums re-tuner by formant shifting...
Where is it ?? Cheers Al.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Here we go with some basic examples about using MainEQ for "formant shifting", to change the perceived tuning of a snare in a mix (processing the snare in the whole drums stereo group).

The first one is the most possible basic use: a single band. Key to the process is setting a couple of dynamic bands to act the opposite, with the same threshold and ceiling and with the target band controlled by the source band.

In the video we set the snare to sit better in the mix by moving it a few semitones away from the acoustic guitar (note that in MainEQ a vertical line is an octave).

----------------------

The second video is a more detailed use: a set of three narrow bands was set to catch the main conponents of snare's sound. They are grouped together in a Poly.
Another set of filters is set to the opposite, so they null out when superimposed.

All filters are controlled by the main one (lowest freq cut filter, MainEQ's inter-band control feature is key here) and have thresholds and settings set the same (to move together).

More detail can be added by setting a more precise source Poly and always setting the controlled poly to the opposite.

Moving the controlled poly around changes the perceived Snare's tuning.

Let me know if this all makes sense and if you like more examples along this line.

(Song by Ron Marinelli)

Last edited by quintosardo; 4 days ago at 01:41 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Last day with the introductory offer!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

@ quintosardo great examples. I'm still wrapping my head around some of the unique features of MainEQ. I personally find MainEQ to be very unique in use when compared to other dynamic EQ plugins. I tend to use it differently than I would other dynamic EQ's that I own.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Yes, it is quite unique, don't overlook the pages of info you get by the Search field on the homepage, by writing "MainEQ".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search