The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SKnote release MainEQ, great control on the mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Not crashed here since downloading the new one. Thanks Q! Nice tool, this!
YEAH!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here is a quick video showing one of the many, many reasons why we really love this tool: using it to balance the sound of an instrument in a mix.

It is a raw multitrack recording we made in the studio. Quite buggy and raw sounding. In this video we work on the lead guitar. The first thing I would do would be engaging an EQ and starting with listening and moving filters aroung to get a good, balanced sound.

In this video, an instance of MainEQ is inserted and its "Flat" feature is used to automatically set all the filters.

- Insert MainEQ on guitar's channel.
- Engage the analyser, in Input/Output mode.
- Double click on the spectrum to reset the maxes.
- Let some of the part play, enough to store a significant snapshot of the maxes.
- Press "Flat" in the analyser region.
- All filters are set and grouped together in a "Poly". Adjust them a bit vetrically.
- Adjust manually, here the Hi-pass and Lo-pass filters are engaged.

The slots are used in the video to continuosly compare the new settings with neutral setup.
Also note that Autogain is engaged.
The perceived big boost in volume is not real. The level of the track is the same. It could even be lowered now, leaving space for something else in the mix or for higher final level.

Note how the goal is _not_ getting a crisp target spectrum but working in "analog mode", like manually moving the filters for a smooth balance.
The analyser has a log frequency scale to keep the same resolution on all frequencies, useful for such balancing jobs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Does this have presets? SKNote stuff is really dense sometimes and this and Sound Brigade are tough for a dumb musician like me to wrap my head around.
I'd love to have this do something like Soothe or Gullfoss. I just suck at eqing and always overdo it.......
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Current version has some templates in the Utilities section.

We are working on lots of presets and examples. While they maybe a strange idea for an EQ, they are not for a dynamic EQ.
For newest features, we are recording videos like this one, more useful as a tutorial than a preset. This thing can be really deep.
There are a few basic videos about the features on MainEQ's main page.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Ok, so the FLAT feature is awesome. Like, awesome!

Unfortunately I get crashes again. With FLAT having generated a curve and then playing, clicking on it can still kill Logic off in one swift stab.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, work for tomorrow morning.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

what can be different from Fabfilter 3 besides the great price?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

No demo available. I'm testing right now different dynamic EQs and MB comp. But I see no demo here?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicStrike View Post
what can be different from Fabfilter 3 besides the great price?
The concept is a bit different.
Beside the sound, it is a tool aimed to making balancing a mix easier and faster. E.g. automatic track and intertrack settings. Through-clipboard copy and paste, together with the invert button also help (e.g. copy tge EQ from a track, paste to another and invert).
Polys (groups of filters), with moving modes, make complex filters a new thing (e.g. octave filters).

Note that this is more for balancing than for correcting mistakes or defects, like using notches.
But we are used to do that as track editing, before starting to mix, usually with standard DAW EQ.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
No demo available. I'm testing right now different dynamic EQs and MB comp. But I see no demo here?
Probably out today.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Answering to a request on YouTube, here we go wqith some use on a bass guitar in a mix.

The inter-band control is used here, together with multiband dynamic EQ-ing and slight Lo-pass.

- A boost is set to identify the midrange (filter 7).
- A cut is set (filter 3) to remove some critical low frequency range. It is set to dynamic, controlled by previous filter's detector. On attacks, tracked by sensitive filter 7, low range is controlled down. Getting clarity.
- Filter 7 (midrange) is also set to dynamic, to add presence while keeping its action transparent. Threshold and action are set to get a little average boost (see the moving curve).
- A Low-shelf big boost is set to give body. An opposite dynamic target is set and parameters are programmed to get a null average action. Thanks to MainEQ's kind of dynamic response, this gives sustain and control to the low range.
- Low-pass is engaged and set for some control on extreme highs.

When comparing to the dry track in the mix, the new sound is a lot better controlled, without all those variable boosts on frequencies. More effective than simple compression on the overall sound.
Also various notes have a more homogeneous level.

Honestly I'm extremely happy because of how quick and easy it was (it is reconstructed in the video, of course, but it was a quite straightforward process when I did it).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just downloaded again, but it's still crashing on pressing Load.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Just downloaded again, but it's still crashing on pressing Load.
Please use email quintosardo at yahoo dot it so I can ask you some more details and get it perfect today

***EDIT

Updated online. VST/AU for Mac, please download it again

Last edited by quintosardo; 2 weeks ago at 03:15 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok, we have demo versions for VST/AU online now!

Demo for AAX following tomorrow.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Sure, but not with the quick changes, this is a whole new set of filters, let me work on it...
Awesome! Looking forward to it :-)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
Demo out!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Ok, so the FLAT feature is awesome. Like, awesome!
This! Kind of like, when you bypass it, the original sounds, well, flat and lifeless (or perhaps it's because my guitars just sound awful to start with). But yeah, this is pretty awesome.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here we go with a quick mastering example:

MainEQ used for mastering on a stereo mix.

Two instances are used here:

- The firts one uses the "Flat" (flatten) feature after some memory of the spectrum is acquired. A little bit of manual adjustment is made on the low range after the auto process.

- Another unit is used with two functions: use the inter-band control to have high-frequency peaks to control down bass range a bit (to get clarity). A low-shelf is set to a boost, with opposite target, in dynamic mode and set to get some bass-range compression and sustain.

(Thanks to Ron Marinelli for the song).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is another quick example on the same stereo mix: using Mid/Side dynamic EQing:

I use Mid/Side equalization to add stereo width to the high range and focus and a bit of compression to the low range.

A first band is set to boost the high range, then a lower target is set in dynamic mode for a more transparent effect. This band is set to act almost 100% on Side to be less noticeable and act mostly on ambience.

Another band is set to boost the lowest range, with a lower target in dynamic mode to get some compression. This band is then set to full Mid to get focus on its range (instead of boosting the low range of the ambience, too).

Last edited by quintosardo; 2 weeks ago at 06:16 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Requested features we are adding:

- Horizontal or vertical lock with modifier keys while dragging a filter.
- Band solo.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

While SKnote plugins have that sound, they are not always computer friendly. MainEQ seems to move SKnote to the level we wanted him to be...congratulations ol boy now make the rest as phenomenal as this!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks analag, that's our goal

Meanwhile, working on lots of presets for MainEQ. Loving it more and more myself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
This! Kind of like, when you bypass it, the original sounds, well, flat and lifeless (or perhaps it's because my guitars just sound awful to start with). But yeah, this is pretty awesome.
Also the nice of dynamic is making these effects more transparent.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AAX DEMO versions available on the website! (Together with VST/AU).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Latest version’s working perfectly for me in Studio One. No crashing when clicking load anymore .
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Nice transparent and smooth tone shaper even for master buss (and even for mastering). I will buy for that price of few beers to support further products on this dynamic monster. Dynamic distortion??

And now few questions and requests - how dare I...

- It would be cool if I can get text to parameters for automation (Win VST) and even their propagation I dont see them moving in Bitwig Studio like other normal VSTs.

- How to fine move or type exact numbers? Especially tilt filter is very difiicult to set up on laptop.

- Wet dry on every filter popup: I thought it is for every filter / what a genious idea and how did you do it. Were my first thought. Until I realize that this is for whole instance of plugin. This could be down with input_output_autogain. Like AUTOGAIN IN ( ) OUT ( ) WET ( ).

- For more settings comparing it would be cool to have second list box and some icon to click (once) to switch between them. You close eyes and than just click and compare two settings by one click.

- Also sometimes I almost lost filter when I pull them too high, low, left, right (dont know how to solve it and I can live with it).
n
Otherwise first things (sound0 first. Also nice sharp vector GUI graphics - can it be scaled in future?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Yes Q, being able to type in number values for parameters is a must! To me, being able to grab a band's gain number and going up or down while holding it with the mouse would also be a massive plus, as that is deeply engrained.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok, we hear you!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Latest version’s working perfectly for me in Studio One. No crashing when clicking load anymore .
Now we are talking. Looks like a rock.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tip: I'm really having fun using Flat->Copy->Paste to another instance->Invert

Lots of tutorials needed here, wow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search