The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Analog Matrix from Access Analog - connect to analog hardware in the cloud!
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
From a legal standpoint, I think holding the poll off Kickstarter is also the smarter idea. Kickstarter project data is permanent...if a company ever sends a cease and desist, you at least want control over deletion.
I've read a couple of post regarding possible legal issues. I'm not sure I'm following what potential problems could arise where a manufacturer could make a company like this cease and desist?

Maybe from using logos and such on the actual plugin interface (please know that I have not yet tried the service or installed the plugin). But if they are technically a recording studio they are free to list any and all gear purchased and in use. If cameras broadcast the logos that is fair use as well I would think.

Curious about what I might be missing?
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
I've read a couple of post regarding possible legal issues. I'm not sure I'm following what potential problems could arise where a manufacturer could make a company like this cease and desist?

Maybe from using logos and such on the actual plugin interface (please know that I have not yet tried the service or installed the plugin). But if they are technically a recording studio they are free to list any and all gear purchased and in use. If cameras broadcast the logos that is fair use as well I would think.

Curious about what I might be missing?
Logo usage would be the main thing. Most studios list their gear and certainly so do rental houses. The logos can be a real issue though.

Kickstarter may be a little different. As long as they include legal language like "This campaign is not endorsed by..." then they MAY be OK. The problem is, you can't erase or modify Kickstarter project language after the fact. You can add text but not remove it. You can't even delete a project once it is launched.

Cloud usage of hardware is relatively new territory, so I would tread lightly. No doubt the hardware makers aren't going to be too happy with the unwashed masses being able to use their gear for pennies on the dollar. So they may get sue happy...because it's the American way!

By the way, I really like how reviews of the hardware and the user manual is linked directly on each gear page. It saves me time having to Google search everything.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cloud usage of hardware is relatively new territory, so I would tread lightly. No doubt the hardware makers aren't going to be too happy with the unwashed masses being able to use their gear for pennies on the dollar. So they may get sue happy...because it's the American way!
I agree they certainly could try and sue. But I think they are in good shape because they are renting the gear in real time. Meaning there is no difference in selling the usage of gear via online connection than physically being in the 'studio'. Following though because it's interesting and lawyers are crafty!

When they manage to hook up the Neve MBP I'll be in line and ready to work!
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post

BTW. I think these guys have a franchise that can be deployed. I wouldn't be surprised to see manufacturers of gear and even retailers getting in on this.
I was thinking you guys could even approach interesting gear manufacturers and ask whether they are into some sort of deal to put one or more of their boxes in your rig. They would get untold exposure out of it and I reckon more sales when people get hooked on their tools in this format and in the end just want the thing in the studio. See if the box shopping bill can be at least reduced that way.....so get phoning POM about that POMPYE already. :-)
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I was thinking you guys could even approach interesting gear manufacturers and ask whether they are into some sort of deal to put one or more of their boxes in your rig. They would get untold exposure out of it and I reckon more sales when people get hooked on their tools in this format and in the end just want the thing in the studio. See if the box shopping bill can be at least reduced that way.....so get phoning POM about that POMPYE already. :-)
That's a very good idea indeed.
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Brilliant. Forward thinking. Magic Death Eye?
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, this is pretty much our thinking. As our user base grows, we can give manufacturers exposure. People cannot fall in love with equipment if they can't hear it and use it, particularly in their own listening environment. Someone may come to us first, discover the gear, and eventually decide to buy it. Someone may also go to the manufacturer first, contemplate a purchase, and ask for a demo unit to hear it first. We can serve as that demo without the manufacturer needing to ship demo units.

We have had some of this conversation with manufacturers big and small. We have great respect for them, so we want to have a positive impact on thier business. Most are just as excited about the possibilities of our service as we are. We have only met one manufacturer that was not supportive about what we are doing.
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessAnalog View Post
Yes, this is pretty much our thinking. As our user base grows, we can give manufacturers exposure. People cannot fall in love with equipment if they can't hear it and use it, particularly in their own listening environment. Someone may come to us first, discover the gear, and eventually decide to buy it. Someone may also go to the manufacturer first, contemplate a purchase, and ask for a demo unit to hear it first. We can serve as that demo without the manufacturer needing to ship demo units.

We have had some of this conversation with manufacturers big and small. We have great respect for them, so we want to have a positive impact on thier business. Most are just as excited about the possibilities of our service as we are. We have only met one manufacturer that was not supportive about what we are doing.
No barrier to becoming an authorized dealer of some of the gear in the rack
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Guru

Great to hear you're on the same page on that one! Now if you could persaude POM to get a POMPYE out, Q2 to get one of their new Compex's to you and the man from Hendyamps to give you a Pollock compressor I might threaten to find you guys to plant a smacker on yer cheeks. Maybe even a box of chocolates.
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Finally tried this service today. Really awesome! I've got an online bounce through a Silver Bullet going right now.

I would love to see different sample rate options implemented. I don't like the idea of upsampling if I'm working in 44.1k ... although things seem to sound fine. I'll test a bit more too, and maybe some people more knowledgeable about conversion can chime in. Does the Lynx do the SRC?

Might send in a gear request for a Michelangelo. I don't know where the Access Analog people are located, but Michelangelos are really reasonably priced for what you get. Would also love a great mastering compressor. Just throwing all that out there!
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Finally tried this service today. Really awesome! I've got an online bounce through a Silver Bullet going right now.

I would love to see different sample rate options implemented. I don't like the idea of upsampling if I'm working in 44.1k ... although things seem to sound fine. I'll test a bit more too, and maybe some people more knowledgeable about conversion can chime in. Does the Lynx do the SRC?

Might send in a gear request for a Michelangelo. I don't know where the Access Analog people are located, but Michelangelos are really reasonably priced for what you get. Would also love a great mastering compressor. Just throwing all that out there!
Awesome, so glad you tried out the service! All users end up going through the Lynx Aurora(n) 32 channel converter, so there must be a common sample rate at the moment. Having a separate 1/2 channel converter for each box would be both unwieldy and expensive. What we really want is a single box like the Aurora, but you can set a different sample rate on each channel. Or at least a multiple...i.e. you can have 44.1, 88.2, ... choices or you can have 48, 96, ... choices. Maybe we are the only ones in the world that would like this type of box.

The SRC is done at the entry and exit of the plugin, which is not uncommon for DSP plugins to upsample and do math at a higher fidelity. We chose 48k as a happy medium between fidelity and manageable internet bandwidth.

So many great gear choices in this thread. We lust after the gear as much as anyone else, and we love the robotic challenge of each piece. Just finished the API 5500 and it is just now available for use. We hope to connect with more manufacturers at AES next week - stop by our booth if you are at the show!

[edit] ...also the G compressor and Distressors will be going offline later this week, as they are traveling to the AES show. If you need these, you might want to jump on them in the next few days.
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Head

I tried this an hour session. It did sound a lot like it was really analog. But I could not book more than one unit for the session no matter what I tried. And is there sample rate conversions going on? I work at 96kHz 32 Bit-Float so I don’t know how to keep things in line there...
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just finished the API 5500 and it is just now available for use. We hope to connect with more manufacturers at AES next week - stop by our booth if you are at the show!

[edit] ...also the G compressor and Distressors will be going offline later this week, as they are traveling to the AES show. If you need these, you might want to jump on them in the next few days.
on the 5500 going up.

I may stop by your booth. Will you have the compressors set up so we can control them (or you can show us to avoid germs, since I know AESitis is a thing) with the software and see gears cranking?
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
on the 5500 going up.

I may stop by your booth. Will you have the compressors set up so we can control them (or you can show us to avoid germs, since I know AESitis is a thing) with the software and see gears cranking?
We wil have the full setup for you to use. Both of us found out the hard way about trade show germs at NAMM. 13.5 hour drive from LA to Colorado with a cold/fever. Good times!
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
We wil have the full setup for you to use. Both of us found out the hard way about trade show germs at NAMM. 13.5 hour drive from LA to Colorado with a cold/fever. Good times!
Cool!

The bathrooms at AES are disgusting...perhaps the source of the problem? I must have counted over 5 people who walked out within a 2 minute period of time without using the sink. Right from stall or urinal to the door. I made sure to use my jacket sleeve to touch the door handles!
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Next on the agenda, create a robot-controlled Memorymoog that we can bounce MIDI tracks through.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just thought of another suggestion: the Rodney Dangerfield of compressors, the LA-3A. That compressor gets no respect but if you look at some of the top engineers' racks, they love them. Guitars (electric acoustic or bass), vocals and certain drums love the LA-3A. It would be a great addition to the collection. The UA reissues have the Ed Evan gain mod built in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I would add that if you add these types of classics it would be a VERY much cooler option if you got the real deals on there, in this case the old Teletronix labelled 3A. Might sound like gearsnobbery, but those things conjure up an entirely different world to new ones. Of course they also necessitate noticeable investment. But I reckon chances are people would book those out solidly 24/7 then, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would add that if you add these types of classics it would be a VERY much cooler option if you got the real deals on there, in this case the old Teletronix labelled 3A. Might sound like gearsnobbery, but those things conjure up an entirely different world to new ones. Of course they also necessitate noticeable investment. But I reckon chances are people would book those out solidly 24/7 then, too.
Might be a good Kickstarter poll option. Vintage vs. modern reissue LA-3A with price difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pulse View Post
Next on the agenda, create a robot-controlled Memorymoog that we can bounce MIDI tracks through.
This has crossed our mind and we've got our eyes on adding keyboards sometime in the (distant) future. Would you rather see guitar pedals, reverbs, or synths first?

Quote:
I just thought of another suggestion: the Rodney Dangerfield of compressors, the LA-3A. That compressor gets no respect but if you look at some of the top engineers' racks, they love them. Guitars (electric acoustic or bass), vocals and certain drums love the LA-3A. It would be a great addition to the collection. The UA reissues have the Ed Evan gain mod built in.

Quote:

Quote:
Might be a good Kickstarter poll option. Vintage vs. modern reissue LA-3A with price difference.
We agree - the LA3A is really a great compressor that deserves the same love that the LA2A gets! Eventually we'd love to have both the vintage and modern versions of boxes like the LA3A.

We love hearing your ideas for what equipment should be added - please continue to share! (and feel free to mention Access Analog to your favorite hardware manufacturer )
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
This has crossed our mind and we've got our eyes on adding keyboards sometime in the (distant) future. Would you rather see guitar pedals, reverbs, or synths first?
yamaha cs-80 first and foremost, please
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd be very keen paying for MIDI time on big polysynths (Memorymoog, CS80, Synthex, Jupiters) and plate/chamber reverbs... Stuff that's too big and expensive to buy or even rent. I don't really see many guitar pedals fitting that niche, and if there are, how many people would want to use them in a reamp setting?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Midi time through some nice synths would be really cool.

I'm mostly interested in boutique gear. But that's me, personally. Actually, I'm a huge fan of the LA3A too, but I'm mostly interested in the made-to-order pieces that I can run full tracks through. Like Hendyamps' stuff, or Fearn stuff, etc. That's just me though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pulse View Post
I'd be very keen paying for MIDI time on big polysynths (Memorymoog, CS80, Synthex, Jupiters) and plate/chamber reverbs... Stuff that's too big and expensive to buy or even rent. I don't really see many guitar pedals fitting that niche, and if there are, how many people would want to use them in a reamp setting?
Agreed. Now, I could see people renting $1,500+ guitar amps + a load box like a Torpedo but not $300 or under pedals.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The main attraction of this system for me is to demo gear!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
The main attraction of this system for me is to demo gear!
I bet you wouldn't be alone either. That's why small gear makers who want to get word around about how nice their tools sound to up sales could do worse than have their box on here I reckon......
Old 4 weeks ago
I basically tried almost every piece of gear in the list
what a wonderful time we live in great service and technology

I see myself using this in "mastering" situation besides actual demoing the gear
Silver Bullet, SSL Fusion, Black Box HG-2, API 5500 - this is crazy good!

I feel very inspiring after testing the service
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bet you wouldn't be alone either. That's why small gear makers who want to get word around about how nice their tools sound to up sales could do worse than have their box on here I reckon......
If just temporarily! I see these new hardware posts on here and I'm like "OK...but I can't try it without hassle".

It would save a lot of money and time on demo units because HAVE YOU SEEN SHIPPING PRICES LATELY?!?!
Old 4 weeks ago
I see 33609 coming, right?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

After using your service this summer I bought a Black Box HG-2, and a Bettermaker Limiter after using your competitions's service...... so feel free to use me as a real world example to manufactures that your customers WILL buy hardware they can test online.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search