The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Toontrack releases new SDX and EZX by Al Schmitt
Old 3 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Software Toontrack releases new SDX and EZX by Al Schmitt

Toontrack releases new SDX and EZX by Al Schmitt-unnamed-2.jpg

Today Toontrack released the much-anticipated Decades SDX, a sound library expansion for Superior Drummer 3 recorded at legendary Capitol Studios by one of the most prolific audio craftsmen of our time: Al Schmitt. Also available as of today is the Big Band EZX, an all-new expansion for EZdrummer 2 featuring two of the kits from the Decades SDX but tailored for a mix-ready big band-inspired sound.

About Al Schmitt
With a career that took its start in the mid-’50s and with 727 recordings, 160 gold/platinum albums, 23 Grammy Awards and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame to his name, Al Schmitt is undoubtedly one of the most awarded and prolific audio craftsmen of our time. His hands and ears have literally shaped our collective music history. From now immortal icons like Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra and Sam Cooke to Madonna, Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, Barbara Streisand and Paul McCartney – Al has worked with them all.

About the Decades SDX
The Decades SDX was recorded at Capitol Studios and comes with five drum kits, all handpicked to represent a specific sound or era in Al’s career. Expect a palette of immaculate drum sounds encapsulating not only a lifetime of experience working at the apex of the industry, but just as much a personal and reflective collection of kits that in a way represents his entire body of work. From jazz and big band to rock, fusion, pop, funk and AOR – the Decades SDX covers all the styles that can be traced back to Al’s illustrious lifetime achievement.

FEATURE SPOTLIGHT
• Produced by 23-time Grammy Award-winning engineer/mixer Al Schmitt
• Recorded at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, CA
• Five (5) kits
• 12 snares, nine (9) kicks as well as a broad collection of hi-hats and cymbals
• Includes several iconic original instruments, like the original snare drum used by Jeff Porcaro on Toto’s “Rosanna” as well as Steve Ferrone’s personal drum kit
• Brushes and/or mallets available on select kits/instruments
• Drums from the 1920s through the late 1990s
• Recorded with an additional seven room microphones for playback in stereo up to 9.1 systems

Link:https://www.toontrack.com/product/decades-sdx/

Toontrack releases new SDX and EZX by Al Schmitt-screenshot-2019-09-17-15.35.34.jpg

About the Big Band EZX
Although the origin of the term “jazz” is still up for debate, the leading candidate for its source is “jasm,” a word dating back to 1860 that relates to spirit, energy and vigor. Whether this is the true origin or not, those descriptive words are hallmarks that go together with jazz just as much today as they have through its entire history. The heritage of jazz and its impact on music as we know it is monumental. Arguably, no style of music has managed to seep through cultural tiers, outlive fads and trends or historically been more seminal in spawning great instrumentalists such as jazz has. Quite simply, it’s in our DNA and is the common thread in the fabric of our musical history.

This EZX is an homage to jazz on a whole and, in particular, the golden big band era. This did not only produce some of the most iconic artists in recorded history but also immortalized drumming as more than part of the rhythm section – it brought it to stage center. The Big Band EZX brings you two kits from the swing era of the ’30s and ’40s, both handpicked and tailored to provide an authentic slice of what the big band sound was and, indeed, still is. Expect two fundamentally different kits covering the entire tonal range from the round, warm and intimate to the thunderous, explosive and fiercely energetic – just like the genre itself.

Can you hear it? That steady rattle of the snare, the sizzling melody of the ride and the subtle, round boom of the large open bass drum? Welcome to the Big Band EZX, which will enable you to produce the timeless swing that has been the epitome of jazz for close to a century and a half.

FEATURE SPOTLIGHT
• Two complete kits from the 1930s-1940s era
• Recorded at Capitol Studios by legendary producer/engineer Al Schmitt
• Includes kit configurations recorded with sticks and brushes as well as with snare wires on and off
• Mix-ready presets tailored for a big band-inspired sound
• Includes a selection of big band-inspired MIDI drum grooves
Link: https://www.toontrack.com/product/big-band-ezx/
Attached Thumbnails
Toontrack releases new SDX and EZX by Al Schmitt-unnamed-2.jpg   Toontrack releases new SDX and EZX by Al Schmitt-screenshot-2019-09-17-15.35.34.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One of the best sounding kits you'll hear anywhere. Al an TT nailed this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Mho
Lives for gear

Sounds amazing!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If I had to recommend just one SDX it would be Decades. It covers so many genres and just sounds amazing! Two thumbs way up!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I watched the "making of" video and really enjoyed it. I loved just listening to Al talk. Good stuff!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any discount for those of us who own other
expansions? Or is it a flat $180?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Any discount for those of us who own other
expansions? Or is it a flat $180?
Just bought it for €115 EUR at Time & Space:
https://www.timespace.com/products/t...-by-al-schmitt
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post
Just bought it for €115 EUR at Time & Space:
https://www.timespace.com/products/t...-by-al-schmitt
$150 USD. A bargain.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I got it for $139 at Best Service - https://www.bestservice.com/sdx_deca...l_schmitt.html

Instant delivery of the serial number, which appears in your Best Service account. You can then register and download it using the Toontrack Product Manager.

REALLY good expansion - loving it so far!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
$150 USD. A bargain.
$149 USD (or €139 EUR) is initial bargain. I paid €115 EUR exc. VAT due I'm not a EU resident.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Amazing set of mic and bleed setups, and articulations. It sounds incredible. Al's presets are are a great starting point.

My only complaint is that it comes up really short on rock/blues/pop MIDI. The jazz, big band and brush/mallet MIDI is fantastic if that's your thing.

Bought at Best Service without issues. Expect a couple of hours to download and install — 98 Gb for a full install!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The ad on Best Service says Al has been at it for 70 decades. This man has seen some drums...

This one is tempting, probably will be quite some time before it's seriously discounted.
Old 3 weeks ago
Mho
Lives for gear

This, the indiependent, and the orquestal percussion are amazing. I think we have enough 80's, metal and larger than life sounds. We need more smooth, dry and natural sounds.

Oth an Eric Valentine expansion would be great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'm not seeing any way to pass on downloading the extra surround mics. Is that not possible? I assume I don't have to install them, but the extra download time sucks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I saw no option to download partials. But, yeah, you do have choices during installation. Best to start the download and go to bed or out to dinner! I mainlined my router via Ethernet, and bypassed wi-fi for this one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
I saw no option to download partials. But, yeah, you do have choices during installation. Best to start the download and go to bed or out to dinner! I mainlined my router via Ethernet, and bypassed wi-fi for this one.
Ah, thanks. Good to know. Not too big of a deal, but they should fix that like the main SD3 install.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Will definitely be buying this one
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Got it right after release and this one is...outstanding...

Last edited by In_Sight; 3 weeks ago at 02:49 PM.. Reason: cover edit
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Sight View Post
Got it right after release and this one is...outstanding...

I really like the way you treated the drums! I recognised some of the plugins (Gulfoss, Acoustica Audio Tape and Magenta), some I did not. Are you willing to share this chain? Is it RC-20 the main "culprit" of the lo-fi sound?

cheers,
Lox
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I wish there was an option to install all the bleeds just for stereo without having to download all the surround mics and their bleeds. The stereo option also doesn't include the reverb.

Does the reverb sound like it's from one of the Capitol chambers? I've got to clear some hard-drive space before I can check it myself. I'm pretty sure I remember them saying so, but now they aren't giving any detail. Maybe Capitol has a deal with Universal Audio that precludes them from saying so.

Anyway, sounds great. It's pretty much everything I was missing from the core library. There is just so much more character and life. Although, I do understand why they made the core library so neutral.

I opened my first Al Schmitt preset, thought "Wow, this is pretty good". So I check out what he did on the mix tab, basically nothing, balancing and light compression on the buss. It's all in the recording. No, I'm not complaining.
Old 3 weeks ago
Mho
Lives for gear

I also would like to have full bleed in stereo configuration.

Sounds sweet btw, I have deleted the original sd3 library in favor of this one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I own SD2 and my DAW is Pro Tools 9, which is 32 bit, so I SD3 is not a choice. It´s a real pity, I guess there must be people with the same issue.

Is it possible to design a 32 version, even though it may not sound the same?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Listening to the examples on Best Service and this seems like the best sample drum library yet, especially for mallets and wires off. I'm going to have to purchase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mho View Post
an eric valentine expansion would be great.
+111111111111111111
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
seems like the best sample drum library yet, especially for mallets and wires off.
I'd have to agree. There's a lot of data in these samples. That becomes more obvious when you start to eq them. It's a superbly captured and assembled library.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The mallets and brushes are amazing. And they're just icing on the cake.

I appreciate how (at least on the drums I've mixed with so far), there is only one direct kick drum mic to mess with (not the usual kick in, kick out, kick sub). That one kick drum mic is perfect; no more needed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
I own SD2 and my DAW is Pro Tools 9, which is 32 bit, so I SD3 is not a choice. It´s a real pity, I guess there must be people with the same issue.

Is it possible to design a 32 version, even though it may not sound the same?
Sorry to say, but you’re about a decade late with that question.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sure there are still many people working with just Pro Tools 9, that´s why there are companies offering their new plug-ins both 32 and 64 bits.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Sure there are still many people working with just Pro Tools 9, that´s why there are companies offering their new plug-ins both 32 and 64 bits.
You won't see a 32-bit version of S3 I'm afraid. RAM based instruments are different from effect plugins. With the RAM limitations of a 32-bit DAW, it won't happen.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
You won't see a 32-bit version of S3 I'm afraid. RAM based instruments are different from effect plugins. With the RAM limitations of a 32-bit DAW, it won't happen.

Thanks Scott, although my DAW is 32 bit my operating system is 64 bit, so maybe my OS could meet the RAM requirementsI, I don´t know.

Aside from RAM issue, technically, is it possible Toontrack would take the sounds (recorded files ) from Decades SDX, or any other SD3 expansion, to SD2 ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search