The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Toontrack releases new SDX and EZX by Al Schmitt
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
And I also don’t need surround mics or six options for room mics. I need a 10x or a 100x more samples in the pool or something that makes the response more realistic.
To be honest I don't think the amount of round robins will make all the difference. In fact XLN even argued that they got a less desirable result when they increased the number of round robins.
The thing that is lacking from sampled drums is the way they resonate with frequent hits and the way they interact as a kit. This requires a different approach and is in my opinion best solved with modeling, which is not quite there yet.
It will not sound natural if each hit sounds like you are hitting the kit piece for the first time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sampled piano libraries have done well with resonance accumulation. I don't think it would take modelling to accomplish for drums. Hopefully, because I agree that modelled drums are not there. I really struggled to warm up to Modo drums but they never got close to entering a real session. Still far too artificial.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Sampled piano libraries have done well with resonance accumulation. I don't think it would take modelling to accomplish for drums. Hopefully, because I agree that modelled drums are not there. I really struggled to warm up to Modo drums but they never got close to entering a real session. Still far too artificial.
I'd say that drums are more complex because they are not as controlled. And I've heard countless of experienced piano players who say that the prefer modelled pianos over sampled because they respond more like a real piano. I do personally not notice that much difference between a real and a well sampled piano, but I certainly do with drums.

I think a hybrid approach might be ideal until fully modelled drums are up there with the sampled ones (might take decades). SD3 and BFD3 are already using modeling to some extent, with cymbals and tom resonance for example. But there's still a long way to go.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
I'd say that drums are more complex because they are not as controlled. And I've heard countless of experienced piano players who say that the prefer modelled pianos over sampled because they respond more like a real piano.
As a piano player, I've followed that topic very closely -- here, elsewhere, and with friends and other pros in the biz -- and the overwhelming preference has been for the high-end samples. Modelled pianos do have a quick response, but that novelty quickly falls by the wayside for nearly everyone once the focus shifts to audio. In fact, one thing that's not unheard of is recording with a modelled piano then switching to samples when the sound counts most. But even that hybrid approach seems to be rare in the real world.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

This is a great library - really like the calfskin toms.

Does anyone else want the SD3 tune button to also do simple up/down a half step/semitone?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If I ever feel the need to tune the SD3 drums, I tune them to a pitch or note .... and then by ear to the song.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
If I ever feel the need to tune the SD3 drums, I tune them to a pitch or note .... and then by ear to the song.
Yup, thats what we all do - then the singer needs everything transposed and I'm fiddling with knobs rather than a simple button press.

Would also be nice to quickly tune tom pitches to audition what works best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search