The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Overloud - COMP LA Opto Compressor - 2A and 3A version in one plugin!
Old 4 weeks ago
Mho
Lives for gear

For me this is all about the LA3a, which has very few alternatives. How it compares to CLA 3a an the Black Rooster version?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
For me this is all about the LA3a, which has very few alternatives. How it compares to CLA 3a an the Black Rooster version?
I've been waiting YEARS for UAD to update their LA-3A plugin, it's GUI is unusable for me it's so microscopic!
I've been waiting for a native alternative and Overloud delivers here.
I'm not even sure I care too much about the LA-2A as I use the UAD MK2 when needed this is all about the LA-3A for me
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
Brighton is also my fav itb for vocals. I meant did u compare the overloud to the opto32
No need, I only test new releases vs the current go to.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

let's be honest the differences aren't night and day between all LA-2A plugins .. And in reality the LA-2A HW is the least exciting opto compressor specially if you put it against STA-Level, ACME Opticom, CL1B and a few others are all have way more personality and attitude than LA-2A. What's special about the LA-2A is the ease of use in the first place and being versatile to a good variety of sources.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Logic Pro X Stock compressor LA2A emulation with soft saturation still does it for me better than any other algo emu
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
let's be honest the differences aren't night and day between all LA-2A plugins .. And in reality the LA-2A HW is the least exciting opto compressor specially if you put it against STA-Level, ACME Opticom, CL1B and a few others are all have way more personality and attitude than LA-2A. What's special about the LA-2A is the ease of use in the first place and being versatile to a good variety of sources.
Exact and this is this safety that i like when going fast in the process i know what it have to do and know its gonna do it ... i never ask crazy stuff to it but it can if needed be deeper ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Its really amazing to see that Overloud has started to address the oversamplig issue. This is the one thing that has stopped me from using their stuff recently. step in the right direction! Haven't had the chance to try this out against the Black Rooster la-3a - which has been my go to for a long while now, along witht heir la-2a.
To be honest, i also find myself using DMG track comp for a lot of stuff now (la-2a, SSL Chanel, G Comp, 1176, 160) I find it to be superb and if i am honest, i am trying to get out of using such a vast quantity of tools.

I really hope overloud adds this tech to their existing tools, always liked the API eq, G Comp....in fact, i like literally all of the tools they made. If they added this oversampling functionality to their whole line i would grab the lot.

Has anyone compared it to the rooster? I am interested in the differences between the two. I see someone mentioned the IK - although a lot of their earlier stuff doesn't seem to model the non linear distortions, i have to say they have nailed the action of a number of comps really well - highly underrated.

I do also agree that it would be really nice to see some other stuff modeled too! There are so many amazing comps that nobody has even tried yet, but still every year we get more 1176's, La2a on and on
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
Logic Pro X Stock compressor LA2A emulation with soft saturation still does it for me better than any other algo emu
Thanks for this, too much La2/3a in my folder.. The soft saturation plus the mouvement of this one won the match on a groovy Bass guitar track 'am working on.. Beautifully achieved Handy tool we've got Logic users
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

The LA-3A is a beast!
Does Overloud have decent sales?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Thanks for this, too much La2/3a in my folder.. The soft saturation plus the mouvement of this one won the match on a groovy Bass guitar track 'am working on.. Beautifully achieved Handy tool we've got Logic users
As a Cubase user I’ve been jealous of logics stock plugins for ages now
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6x View Post
As a Cubase user I’ve been jealous of logics stock plugins for ages now
I tried cubase stock plugins and it's more than usable ....

Also what i found in all albums that i love is that a lot of time it's done by not vet young guyz that don't "respect "to much old toools .... and use a lot of time stock stuff (Fruity a lot lol)

it's loaded with stock plugins and sounds comes even from sampletank oldies ...that said mixing : i can't say it wasn't done with high end gear ....
Attached Files

01 - African Giant.mp3 (5.91 MB, 5365 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6x View Post
The LA-3A is a beast!
Does Overloud have decent sales?
It's currently on sale during the introduction period. If you own existing Overloud plugins it's even cheaper from the Overloud store otherwise AudioDeluxe currently have it for a bit less than $76.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post

Also what i found in all albums that i love is that a lot of time it's done by not vet young guyz that don't "respect "to much old toools .... and use a lot of time stock stuff (Fruity a lot lol)

it's loaded with stock plugins and sounds comes even from sampletank oldies ...that said mixing : i can't say it wasn't done with high end gear ....

Yeah, my first hit song, I just went to town abusing every plugin I could, this was back in 2006. I had sounds in my head and I went to for those sounds by any means necessary. I did not care about artifacts or anything people obsess over now. All in 44.1 kHZ Sample Rate. And guess what NOBODY world-wide ever complained about Aliasing, and still don't. I honestly never hit any brick-wall creatively until I started obsessing over sound "Quality" and wanting to impress other professionals... well especially when it came to wanting a stable career out of this all. Now sure I get the productions done sounding great. But the creativity its rare.
I enjoy the music in that post but definitely not the vocals.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post

Jeezo... are you saying you mixed for Burna?
Old 3 weeks ago
Mho
Lives for gear

How this La3a compares to the waves version?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Guy View Post
Yeah, my first hit song, I just went to town abusing every plugin I could, this was back in 2006. I had sounds in my head and I went to for those sounds by any means necessary. I did not care about artifacts or anything people obsess over now. All in 44.1 kHZ Sample Rate. And guess what NOBODY world-wide ever complained about Aliasing, and still don't. I honestly never hit any brick-wall creatively until I started obsessing over sound "Quality" and wanting to impress other professionals... well especially when it came to wanting a stable career out of this all. Now sure I get the productions done sounding great. But the creativity its rare.
I enjoy the music in that post but definitely not the vocals.
Ahah same here , zero plugin , i gave Mystikal and Soulja Slim the two track , not even stems or eact tracks ...and it went hit .... 2002 ....

Your re pointing something hudge and underestimated around , people , ingeneer and producer also are focus on sound too much , i m petsonnally focus on interfacing witch i know is the real area to expend ....this is exactly why i said to some friends that for me , the best synth this years wasnt pigments , massive x ect ...but parallels , Softube created an instruments with this one , not a softsynth ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayTheLordBe View Post
Jeezo... are you saying you mixed for Burna?
Ahaha nope , you ll find some of my work more in NEw Orleans
I do find the mixes a little too much on the bright side , witch sticks well with the west larket but not with the African warmth But still a classic Album ...

But i had some Nigerian students at SAE back then , and i saw it coming ...they have a purety in going production that reminds me the golden era of hip hop for exemple with the NO limit Sound if ya know what i mean (no vulgarous fx all around , musicality , no beaten to death chord ....man i hate chord so much because of abuse all around lol )

Few years ago when trap emerged , after crunk , my friends were like wtf is that crap ... it reach then a level were it was more mature , and while a lot of those tracks are pure crap lyricalyb, i told them that to me this was the soinds of hip hop that went the closest to African roots , i heard everything you can hear in african music , just differently packaged ... all this to the natural link that is made today ...

And yep after honey moon , i even love the LA mpre lol happy user here ...

Last edited by Jeezo; 3 weeks ago at 12:45 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
To be honest, i also find myself using DMG track comp for a lot of stuff now (la-2a, SSL Chanel, G Comp, 1176, 160) I find it to be superb and if i am honest, i am trying to get out of using such a vast quantity of tools.
I really dig the LA-2A in TrackComp. Has a great vibe and response. I'm really psyched about the upcoming updates.

I'm also glad to hear the oversampling is much improved in this new collection. I'm really hoping they go back and update the older GEM plugins with improved oversampling, particularly the 670, which I otherwise think is terrific.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Here I was thinking this plugin would get massive raves, but ends up with only 3 pages and barely any discussion on the plugin itself. Oh well
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here crowded by LA2As..

Last edited by jsblack; 3 weeks ago at 02:53 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Here I was thinking this plugin would get massive raves, but ends up with only 3 pages and barely any discussion on the plugin itself. Oh well
Overloud doesn't get hyped around ... some brands as well while others not necessarily better are ... might be marketing / fanboyism / prices / hype ...don't know ..
Old 3 weeks ago
Just me who dont get along with the flipswitch between the 2A and 3A. Flipswitch is so hardware and change the model and gui seems so software. Dont like that at all.
Said that I think Im gonna by this. The slate subscription dont have either of these compressors so this is almost a nobrainer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Anyone else liking these comps. Mostly played around with the LA3 and it sits perfect on Electric guitar.
Also got a 20$ discount just because I picked up their API5500 for free some time ago. Thank you overloud
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Anyone else liking these comps. Mostly played around with the LA3 and it sits perfect on Electric guitar.
Also got a 20$ discount just because I picked up their API5500 for free some time ago. Thank you overloud
I believe that's actually an additional 20% off, and you get that ongoingly by entering the discount code from your account page whenever you purchase from them. Very decent of them, and especially sweet when used with intro prices!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes sir! The LA-3A is getting a lot of use here. It’s killing it on Bass Guitars especially.
The LA-3A is GOLD
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes sir! The LA-3A is getting a lot of use here. It’s killing it on Bass Guitars especially.
The LA-3A is GOLD
I tried some of their plugins. The 670 emulation also sounded pretty cool.
Do all their plugins have this kind of quality to them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
I believe that's actually an additional 20% off, and you get that ongoingly by entering the discount code from your account page whenever you purchase from them. Very decent of them, and especially sweet when used with intro prices!
Thats just great
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I tried some of their plugins. The 670 emulation also sounded pretty cool.
Do all their plugins have this kind of quality to them?
I own most of the GEM series plugins -and I'd say yes.

Quality-wise, they are all solid and you can "make a record" with just them and it will sound great. In the various threads discussing each as they've come out, there's typically not a lot of hype, as Jeezo observed, but there is generally plenty of love. Also usually a good number of comments that "yeah, this is good but such and such plugin from so and so" is "better." And that's valid. So many Neve, API, SSL, etc. emu's out there, with even the hardware varying somewhat from unit to unit, that we can have several plugins accurately modeling different units, all with an authentic 'vibe.' People then have their preferences for which flavor of 'authentic vibe' they prefer.

But I'd say Tapedesk, EQ495 (modeled on a Neumann mastering EQ), and now Comp LA bring something special in relation to what else is out there. Seems to me that for the 3A, anyway, it's Overloud's and Apogee's emu's as the top two presently (I'm not in the Nebula world, so can't speak to anything there).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
one of the best posts I've read in over 10 years here
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
I own most of the GEM series plugins -and I'd say yes.

Quality-wise, they are all solid and you can "make a record" with just them and it will sound great. In the various threads discussing each as they've come out, there's typically not a lot of hype, as Jeezo observed, but there is generally plenty of love. Also usually a good number of comments that "yeah, this is good but such and such plugin from so and so" is "better." And that's valid. So many Neve, API, SSL, etc. emu's out there, with even the hardware varying somewhat from unit to unit, that we can have several plugins accurately modeling different units, all with an authentic 'vibe.' People then have their preferences for which flavor of 'authentic vibe' they prefer.

But I'd say Tapedesk, EQ495 (modeled on a Neumann mastering EQ), and now Comp LA bring something special in relation to what else is out there. Seems to me that for the 3A, anyway, it's Overloud's and Apogee's emu's as the top two presently (I'm not in the Nebula world, so can't speak to anything there).
And notice one thing , Overloud were coding for cakewalk the prochannel modules (tape and console emu taking to make tapedesk) as well as other stuff ..TH3 wasnpart of sonar also /..///and you know what , when Gibson ditched cakewalk and sonar was about to die ...the Bandlab came ...they decided to let their tools in !!! while a lot of brands went out the wagon ./... Don't know if it was monetised or not (i don't think so si Cakewalk gave it to bandelab) but this is to be noticed ...

Great guis
Low CPU
Great sounding stuff with moderne features
Easy and convenient portection scheme , totally user manageable
Solid coding
Fair prices
catalog growing , solid from time based fx to Amp sim !!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search