The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Airwindows Channel7: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST
Old 4 weeks ago
Airwindows

Software Airwindows Channel7: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

TL;DW: Channel7 improves slew clipping and lets you blend Channel 6 and 5.

Channel7.zip(352k)

Short and sweet. You know how Interstage got an update because the slew clipping was too intense on high sample rates? This applied to Channel, too. So, Channel7 now handles high sample rates better than any previous Channel.

There's more: Channel5 was the last one with the 'Density' algorithm, that's extra fat-sounding. Channel6 got the Spiral algorithm, much purer and clearer… but without that fatness effect Density gets. My attempts to make a special algorithm that does both gave me Mojo and Dyno… neither of which are Channel or a replacement for either Spiral or Density.

So, Channel7 simply goes to 200%, not 100%. Up to 100% it's the same as Channel6, but with the slew clipping fix. From 100% to 200% it does a crossfade into Channel5's Density algorithm—so it ends up being best of all possible worlds. You can seamlessly go from perfectly clean, to the purest saturation there is, and beyond that to add any degree of fatness you like to the sound (and it fades between Spiral and Density, so there's extra subtlety to the way it transitions).

Channel7: yeah, you're pretty much going to want this upgrade no matter which Channel you liked. It is all of the best, more effective than ever.

If you ever jumped on the Patreon because of a version of Channel… you should take this for free 'cos it's an update to something you already have I guess if you never joined the Patreon, and you were impressed by Monitoring, and you never tried Channel, and all of it leads to you wanting to throw money, then go ahead and join (or I have a Ko-Fi as a backup plan you could use, or paypal or something). But this one's Channel version 7. If you use Channel you should have this and not feel like I'm trying to squeeze more money out of you so definitely DON'T feel obligated to up your patronage just over this. Keep an eye out and I'll try to do more that justifies more support. This one's me giving back. You should get updates for free when I'm able to improve things a little more each time. Enjoy
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

Is the Channel 7 plugin supposed to be used in conjunction with the Console Channel/Bus plugins? Or is it just it's own thing that you can just use to color tracks without it being apart of a console? Thanks, sounds really really good btw.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
Hi,

Is the Channel 7 plugin supposed to be used in conjunction with the Console Channel/Bus plugins? Or is it just it's own thing that you can just use to color tracks without it being apart of a console? Thanks, sounds really really good btw.
Channel 7 is completely separate from the AW consoles.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Chris, is it possible to add autogain output compensation in future?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Do you all ever use the Channel plugins with BussColors?

Or, is that "too much." I know "too much" is subjective. Feel free to interpret "too much" any way you like. Your perspectives and scenarios are helpful.

For me, my goal is to have a better console than what is in offerings such as Brainworx SSL 4000, et al. To that end, I am currently thinking some combination of Airwindows EQ, Channel, Interstage, Logical, and possibly BussColors might be the ticket.

But, I don't want to end up with MUSH lol.

On the BussColors comments, I found this set of comments:

Quote:
What is the difference between Channel4 and Busscolors4?
Quote:
BussColors dynamically constructs impulse responses based on recordings of real hardware. Channel just applies a simple highpass and slew clipping based on what that gear’s roughly limited to. In some ways Channel sounds better, but it does far less to get that result.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1313 View Post
For me, my goal is to have a better console than what is in offerings such as Brainworx SSL 4000, et al. To that end, I am currently thinking some combination of Airwindows EQ, Channel, Interstage, Logical, and possibly BussColors might be the ticket.
I would use Airwindows Desk4 followed by PurestConsole on every channel/buss. Here and there I would sprinkle this basic setup with Crystal, Interstage, Dyno, Mojo and Spiral2.

If the idea is to only use Airwindows plugins I would also add: EQ, Groovewear, Toneslant, Biquad, Slew2, Pyewacket, Logical, Buttercomp2, Pressure, FromTape/ToTape.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for the update! It's hard to say but in my environment ch6's slew clipping works better response at different sampling rate. It seems with ch7 higher sample rate version is harder to kick in slew clipping than lower one.

I attached the files which was made phase flip difference between ch7(SSL) with slew clipping and ch7 w/o slew clipping at 44.1kHz and 88.2kHz.

I'd like to ask Chris about gain staging thing.. When using ch7(or any channel series) at VU=-18dBFS gain staging, it's really rarely kick in slew clipping. If I would like to get obvious audible slew clipping, I need to set VU=-11 - 0(!) dBFS. I don't know actual slew clipping in real hardware so I can't get right purpose. What's your recommended gain staging for Channel series(and interstage)? Is slew clipping function just bonus which is not intend to use frequently?

Any info about slew clipping is appreciated
Attached Files

ch7_diff_441.wav (2.52 MB, 2091 views)

ch7_diff_882.wav (2.52 MB, 2099 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Chris- Thanks for the update!

So, is the idea that we can slide between the two behaviors per track, like to taste? Or, is it the kind of thing where it's best to pick your poison for a project and keep it consistent between different channels and the master bus?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojei View Post
Thanks for the update! It's hard to say but in my environment ch6's slew clipping works better response at different sampling rate. It seems with ch7 higher sample rate version is harder to kick in slew clipping than lower one.
I thought this one was supposed to address that?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Chris, how about to implement slightly different approach:

Add "Blend" slider.
Turned full left will give you 100% Spiral saturation and 0% Density.
Turned full right: 0% Spiral, 100% Density.
At the middle (starting position) 50% Spiral, 50% Density.

Gain slider will control total amount of saturation (total 100%, as it was before), while Blend - colour balance between algorithms.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Also, I suggest to add new mode, called "None"

In this mode no slew clipping and no highpass applied at all. Channel starts to work as traditional saturation plugin adding only harmonic distortion, but not altering input signal by other means. No console emulation in this mode.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxgvr View Post

In this mode no slew clipping and no highpass applied at all. Channel starts to work as traditional saturation plugin adding only harmonic distortion, but not altering input signal by other means. No console emulation in this mode.
Do most people use either the Channel plugins or the Console plugins, or do some use both?

I am planning on using both. I know we should "use our ears," but it is still helpful knowing what others are doing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

my dude, that is what the Density and Spiral plugins are. you can download them already from the Airwindows website and add how much of one, the other, or both that you want. the "channel" series just integrates the saturation algorithms of these other plugins inside a box that also performs the additional console processing
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepCircle View Post
the "channel" series just integrates the saturation algorithms of these other plugins inside a box that also performs the additional console processing
Do the Channel plugins do the Console processing as you stated?

What's the difference between the Channel and Console plugins?

Do people use them together?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
well the plugin series actually named "Console" is slightly different in that they do not do any particular real world console, they do a sort of nonlinear summing (the only actual plugin series I know of that actually does 'non-linear summing' and doesn't just slap some saturation on a regularly summed bus), whereas the Channel plugins model the rough statistics of three different real-world consoles as well as applying variations on the algorithms from airwindows' Density and Spiral plugins. So if you want the saturation without the console emulation, one of those two plugins will do it for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

From reading some other threads, it seems to me that things work thus:
  • You can use Channel in front of ConsoleChannel.
  • Channel is for saturation.
  • ConsoleChannel is for adding the "depth" that comes from summing.

If anyone wants to clarify or comment on that, I'd appreciate it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Yep, that's right.

(Again, if you want the saturation without the slew and high pass stuff in the 'Channel', you can use Density (for more 'fat' sound) or Spiral (for very pure, bright saturation), because those are the saturation algorithms that the Channel series uses.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone tried Channel7 on a BUS ?

I sandwiched two of 'em between 2 BCA Gain (send/receive) and played with
the different console types/saturation options. most interesting...

Gotta say, the wealth of colors can be confusing...

Channel7
Interstage
Dyno
Mojo
Podcast
Remap
PodcastDeluxe
Curve
Recurve
Smooth
Compresaturator
BlockParty
PurestSquish
Cojones
Pafnuty
StudioTan (not strictly "colour" but can be)
Crystal
ButterComp2
Pop
VariMu
Spiral/Spiral2
DrumSlam
Single Ended Triode
Righteous4
Wider (again, not strictly colour but as Drive's algo is incorperated - it is)
ConsoleX
OneCornerClip
Hard Vacuum
PurestDrive
PurestX
NC-17
ADClip 7
Logical
Desk/Desk4
ToTape
BussColors
Iron Oxide/Iron Oxide Classic
Loud
Trans/Tube Desk
Fracture
Drive
Density
ClipOnly
Pressure4

Your everyday little AW colouring list...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepCircle View Post
my dude, that is what the Density and Spiral plugins are. you can download them already from the Airwindows website and add how much of one, the other, or both that you want. the "channel" series just integrates the saturation algorithms of these other plugins inside a box that also performs the additional console processing
Why do we need Channel 7 then?
If the only difference in highpass and slew clipping.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Why do we need Channel 7 then?
If the only difference in highpass and slew clipping.
Because of the ability to morph between clipping/saturation algos ?...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLov3r View Post
Because of the ability to morph between clipping/saturation algos ?...
Then why did we need Channel6?

Channe6 six does not have that morphing feature.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Then why did we need Channel6?

Channe6 six does not have that morphing feature.
Ummm... Because Chris can predict the future and he knew there would be a Channel7, therefore he felt compelled to make a Channel6 before, orherwise people would demand to know why he skipped the number 6...

Serioulsly now... He said it all in the OP.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ummm... Because Chris can predict the future and he knew there would be a Channel7, therefore he felt compelled to make a Channel6 before, orherwise people wouls demand to know why he skipped the number 6...

Serioulsly now... He said it all in the OP.
I'm simply trying to understand the different use cases.

I watched the videos on all of these plugins and started supporting on Patreon a few days ago, after only learning about Airwindows a couple weeks ago.

Before Channel7, why use the Channel6 plugin when you can just use Spiral, plus a Slew2, plus an EQ?

I know we should "use our ears," but knowing the details is helpful, especially so that I avoid adding a bunch of duplicating stuff to a bunch of tracks, to then realize that my mix sounds like mush after 20 tracks.

I completely understand and support how Chris operates with his releases; although, some more clear, basic written documentation would be welcome.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
That is not the point I am trying to make. I'm simply trying to understand the different use cases.
That's a moot question.

As I wrote a few posts before [here in this thread], there's a wealth of colours in AW's portfolio one can acheive. Trying to find "use cases" is futile.

When I asked Chris the very same question [somewhere else, a while back] he replied "I just make tools..." [Anyone else have here strong de ja vu to the legendary quote from the original Blade Runner "eyes .. I just make eyes" ? ]

Thats how it goes with ALL tools. when the sheer number of tools becomes overbearing...you go by gut feeling.

Its imposible to discern tools otherwise [A while back I was pondering over Weiss. But I was able to get the same pleasing results with a chain I built with AW's tools. Case closed].

What I am saying: if you FEEL you want to use it and the results are to your liking... Just use it. If not - use another tool [AW or other company]. Simple as that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's a moot question.
I think it is entirely reasonable for users to want to have a basic understanding of a) what the knobs do in the Airwindows plugins b) how those plugins fit into the overall context of the Airwindows suite, all without having to trawl around various forum posts to get that information.

I think the videos and the descriptions do some of a and b, but I have found them a bit lacking. For example, if a new user coming to Airwindows is interested in Channel7, he or she would be a bit lost and have to go digging through past videos and forum posts to understand the context.

Again, I am a supporter, and I am not trying to be annoying or whatever.

Telling people to just "use their ears" is not and should be the end of the story. Everyone producing music knows that their ears should be the final arbiter.

An example of what I am taking about is something like the below. Having that basic information would be really helpful, especially the overlaps, so that we know which plugins to focus on for the "latest and greatest."

Plugin x: My latest best z type plugin. It does z.
Plugin type: Distortion
Knob 1: Turning to the left does x; turning to the right does y.
Knob 2: Dry wet.
Context: This plugin was based on some algorithms I had been developing to provide the character of x, y, and z devices.
Overlaps: If you use this plugin, then you might not need to use these. Or, this plugin includes the same stuff as these, plus this other stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

A fair number of Airwindows releases feature consolidations of several previous plugins. So yes, you could ostensibly combine highpass, slew clipping, and Spiral/Density as standalone plugins, but Channel is Chris' way of combining those different functions into a particular combination and range that he finds most useful.

I think of this as a good solution to the option anxiety mentioned earlier in this thread. If you really want to get surgical and experimental, you can break down different minute functions amongst multiple plugins. If you want a simple solution that combines a lot of functions into a concise interface, there are things like Channel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelafosse View Post
A fair number of Airwindows releases feature consolidations of several previous plugins. So yes, you could ostensibly combine highpass, slew clipping, and Spiral/Density as standalone plugins, but Channel is Chris' way of combining those different functions into a particular combination and range that he finds most useful.

I think of this as a good solution to the option anxiety mentioned earlier in this thread. If you really want to get surgical and experimental, you can break down different minute functions amongst multiple plugins. If you want a simple solution that combines a lot of functions into a concise interface, there are things like Channel.
Agree.

My point is not that I think (FWIW) Chris should change what plugins he makes or how he combines them; rather, all I am saying is it should be easier for users to learn what these things do, without having to trawl around the internet or spend hours watching videos. (I do personally like and appreciate the videos.)

I have a producer friend who I think would really love Airwindows, and I have told him about them. But, he does not have time to go digging around to figure out everything. And, he thinks it is silly that I have spent as much time as I have. I can't completely blame him. If he knew how awesome Airwindows were, then he might feel differently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Chris has so many plugins doing almost same thing. Especially saturation plugins. Why not combine some of them?

For example, if Channel plugin doing same thing Density does, but has Slew clipping / Highpass on top of it, why not to add option to Channel to switch off Slew and Highpass to get pure Density sound? Why should I nesessary use Channel if I need API/SSL/Neve flavour, but use another plugin then I just want saturation without additional colouring? If Channel is able to do that - do that Density/Spiral harmonic distortion without Slew clipping (just add option Neve/API/SSL/Clean)

P.S. Maybe add main ToTape algorithm also (not Fat/Flutter, just main "rounding" effect) as optional feature.

P.P.S. Groove Wear from ToVinyl4 would be great addition as well
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

Quote:
Chris has so many plugins doing almost same thing. Especially saturation plugins. Why not combine some of them?

For example, if Channel plugin doing same thing Density does, but has Slew clipping / Highpass on top of it, why not to add option to Channel to switch off Slew and Highpass to get pure Density sound? Why should I nesessary use Channel if I need API/SSL/Neve flavour, but use another plugin then I just want saturation without additional colouring? If Channel is able to do that - do that Density/Spiral harmonic distortion without Slew clipping (just add option Neve/API/SSL/Clean)

P.S. Maybe add main ToTape algorithm also (not Fat/Flutter, just main "rounding" effect) as optional feature.

P.P.S. Groove Wear from ToVinyl4 would be great addition as well
Two different separate Groove Wear plugins exist outside of ToVinyl, plus the acceleration limiter of ToVinyl lives outside of ToVinyl

Sometimes you just want to have only the exact processing, sometimes you want a complete package. I rarely do combined things, but Monitoring took PeaksOnly and SubsOnly and NJAD and SlewOnly etc etc and added Cans and some bandwidth narrowing things that didn't stand alone as their own thing (and could be done directly using Biquad), and people still wanted Silhouette included even though PeaksOnly is the newer, nicer way to learn what Silhouette showed you
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Two different separate Groove Wear plugins exist outside of ToVinyl, plus the acceleration limiter of ToVinyl lives outside of ToVinyl

Sometimes you just want to have only the exact processing, sometimes you want a complete package. I rarely do combined things, but Monitoring took PeaksOnly and SubsOnly and NJAD and SlewOnly etc etc and added Cans and some bandwidth narrowing things that didn't stand alone as their own thing (and could be done directly using Biquad), and people still wanted Silhouette included even though PeaksOnly is the newer, nicer way to learn what Silhouette showed you
Would be wonderfull to have "Analog" package as you did for Monitoring

I don't mean to remove ToVinyl, ToTape, Channel, etc. Don't mean to replace them with one big plugin. It will live by its own.

Speaking of Console plugins. Imagine Console plugin which have Groove Wear, Soft from ToTape, Slew/highpass options from Channel. And all of that controlled from Bus version of the plugin for each instance of ConsoleChannel.

You put Console Channel on every track, and from Console Bus manipulate those parameters on each track simultaneously.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search