The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Genelec announces 8351B and 8361A coaxial monitors and W371A Adaptive Woofer System
Old 5th September 2019
News Desk Editor

Genelec announces 8351B and 8361A coaxial monitors and W371A Adaptive Woofer System

Genelec announces 8351B and 8361A coaxial monitors and W371A Adaptive Woofer System-press-image2.jpg

Genelec, the world leader in professional audio monitoring, has expanded The Ones series of Ultimate Point Source Monitors to bring uncompromised precision listening to a much wider range of room sizes, listening distances and SPL requirements. The announcement of the new 8351B and 8361A coaxial three-way monitors alongside the complementary W371A Adaptive Woofer System means that The Ones family now delivers uniquely uncoloured and neutral reference monitoring performance - from ultra-nearfield through to mastering-calibre and main monitor applications.

The Ones range was launched in 2014 with the introduction of the 8351A, whose extraordinary imaging, extended frequency response, controlled directivity and fatigue-free listening enabled professionals to work faster and make more informed, consistent decisions when recording and mixing. In 2017 the 8351A was joined by the 8331A and 8341A models, creating a trio of compact nearfield monitors that stunned users worldwide with their outstanding performance, garnering multiple industry awards along the way. By colouring neither direct sound nor reflections, The Ones rapidly gained a well-earned reputation for making a good room sound incredible. Today, the new 8361A three-way coaxial monitor refines the point source concept even further, offering the most advanced acoustic performance of any studio monitor currently available - with extremely high dynamic range, unrivalled directivity and imaging and a short term SPL of 118 dB with peak levels even higher. Now the largest coaxial monitor in The Ones family, the 8361A will deliver an exquisite monitoring experience at any listening distance up to 5 metres, making it perfect for small to medium sized rooms.

The 8361A features two newly-designed Acoustically Concealed Woofers - generating high SPL output with extremely low distortion - and brand new MDC coaxial midrange and tweeter drivers which provide smooth directivity, low distortion, high SPL and extended frequency response up to 40 kHz. Like all models in The Ones range, the 8361A’s unique Minimum Diffraction Enclosure eliminates colouration and its entire front baffle acts as a Directivity Control Waveguide - producing a fantastically wide, uncoloured sweet spot. Efficient proprietary Class D amplification is complemented by advanced DSP processing, including delay equalisation and twenty precision EQs for room compensation.

The newly upgraded 8351B shares much of the technology of its other Ones siblings and benefits from the many recent advances in electronic, mechanical and acoustical design that Genelec has continued to pioneer. Drawing inspiration from the electronic design of the 8341A and the driver technology of the 8361A, the 8351B revision has managed to improve on the exemplary performance of its predecessor by offering increased SPL, additional room compensation EQs, equalised delay and enhanced HF response.

The W371A Adaptive Woofer System is a truly unique concept, designed specifically to seamlessly complement 8341, 8351 and 8361 monitors, and in conjunction with these models creates a series of full-range monitoring solutions with unrivalled neutrality and supreme levels of control over directivity and the effects of room acoustics. For the first time ever, studios can now experience all the benefits of a main monitor, but with the freedom to locate this free-standing system in optimal positions within the control room; even providing the option to switch between nearfield and main monitors without image-shifting.

Standing at 1100 mm (43 1/4 inches) high and featuring dual high performance woofers, one forward-facing and one rear-facing, the W371A introduces a palette of novel ways to custom- tailor system performance carefully to the room over the critical lowest four octaves. As a result, the W371A offers vastly superior performance compared to standard free-standing loudspeakers or supporting subwoofers, since it offers a flatter and smoother in-room frequency response with more coherent low frequency imaging - yet achieves this without sacrificing envelopment.

Augmenting the dual woofers of The Ones coaxial models with a complementary W371A yields four woofers in total per channel, and these are combined using advanced acoustic measurement to reduce destructive cancellation and standing wave artefacts - through a host of tools including crossover frequencies, polar response and directivity. As a result, the W371A goes further than any other monitoring system in removing the detrimental influences of the listening room on low frequency reproduction – universally recognised as a key issue in all modern studios.

As part of Genelec’s Smart Active Monitoring family, all models in The Ones range integrate tightly with Genelec’s GLM software application, which can configure, calibrate and control entire Genelec smart monitoring systems. Based on experience from thousands of studios around the world, GLM is able to minimise the listening room’s influence on the sound, enabling the user to produce mixes that translate perfectly to other systems, whether the format is mono, stereo or high channel count immersive.

Commenting on the launch, Genelec Managing Director Siamak Naghian said:

“No other family of studio monitors can offer this level of coherency, control, neutrality and sheer ability to adapt to any acoustic environment. From the ultra-nearfield precision of the 8331A to a full-range system comprising the 8361A and W371A, our point source technology is now fully scalable, broadening its appeal still further and maintaining The Ones’ position as the industry’s benchmark for truthful reference monitoring.”

For more information please visit: www.genelec.com
Attached Thumbnails
Genelec announces 8351B and 8361A coaxial monitors and W371A Adaptive Woofer System-press-image2.jpg  
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Genelec is killing it!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Absolutely killing it.. and potentially my wallet. Damn!!! Have been seriously considering their latest system as I've always ended up using Genelecs in the end as they've been 100% reliable (not ever had a Genelec monitor fail on me ever) and with the latest One series innovations I wouldn't even have to sacrifice sound quality, on the contrary.

Damn! This is seriously impressive stuff.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Please find links to individual product pages for the new models:

https://www.genelec.com/8351B
https://www.genelec.com/8361
https://www.genelec.com/w371

Link to the product family brochure where you can find more information as well as detailed technical specifications:

https://www.genelec.com/sites/defaul...2019_web_0.pdf

Last edited by Ilkka; 5th September 2019 at 09:26 PM..
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Is that the 51 turned sideways on top of the new woofer or the 61? Looks amazing like that.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Is that the 51 turned sideways on top of the new woofer or the 61? Looks amazing like that.
It is the 8351B. The 8361A would look much bigger.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Love to know more about this giant sub. What does it mean u can place it anywhere? Can it circumvent physics and fix nulls?
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Love to know more about this giant sub. What does it mean u can place it anywhere? Can it circumvent physics and fix nulls?
Please see the product brochure, page 10. There you can find the technical explanation for the operation and the three different modes.

ps. It is not a sub!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
The 8351B looks to now match the 8331 and 8341. So glad it got an upgrade.

Genelec on top of their game as always.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

Stunning products Ikka! Congratulations to everybody at Genelec.

Will there be a upgrade possible for 8351a users?
Will the 8351b be priced similar to the 8351a?
Does the new 371 only work with 8351b or also A?
Do you need 2 x 371 for a full stereo system?

Thanks
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

>>No, there is no upgrade possibility because everything inside the monitor has been changed. It would not make sense to upgrade them for the cost alone.

>> It will be priced slightly higher.

>> At the moment it can work with 8341A, 8351B and 8361A monitors. Later on we will be adding more supported monitors.

>> Yes.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

What is the continuous SPL limit (and for what frequency bandwidth) for the 8361?
I only see short term and peak listed.

Also, does the 8351b come in black (verses "Genelec" grey)? Last picture on the website (after the white one) looks like an actual black.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
What is the continuous SPL limit (and for what frequency bandwidth) for the 8361?
I only see short term and peak listed.
Maximum continuous SPL is 109.5 dB measured with IEC weighted noise.

Quote:
Also, does the 8351b come in black (verses "Genelec" grey)? Last picture on the website (after the white one) looks like an actual black.
Yes, it is also available in black.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
Please see the product brochure, page 10. There you can find the technical explanation for the operation and the three different modes.

ps. It is not a sub!
Looks incredible. I'm demoing the 8351 in my room very soon.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear
Thanks.... I was just curious about understanding what this meant

"The Complementary Mode can circumvent any reduction in sound level at certain frequencies (known as ‘acoustic notching’) at the listening location, by placing the two independent woofers within the W371 at different physical locations in the room - and by then using the woofer that is best able to radiate audio to the listening location"

This is obviously related to having two W371s I'm figuring, not referring to the two woofers inside one unit? Am I right in assuming, this is designed to work in a stereo configuration with two Ws71s
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Nut

Wow that 61 is big!
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
>>No, there is no upgrade possibility because everything inside the monitor has been changed. It would not make sense to upgrade them for the cost alone.

>> It will be priced slightly higher.

>> At the moment it can work with 8341A, 8351B and 8361A monitors. Later on we will be adding more supported monitors.

>> Yes.
is there a plan to get it working with the 8351a? I cant imagine a better world.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Guru

white cones !!!
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Nut

I guess I need to listen to these in my room.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Nut

Are the D to A converters in the 8351B the same as the D to A converters in the 8341?
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Is there any way to orient the 8361a horizontally? I noticed there aren't any screw holes in the back to mount the isopod horizontally. Will there be a stand or accessory that allows this?
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

I have and love my 8341s. I run them with 2 7350 subs. Having a second woofer in a different location in the room did a lot of good to my low end reproduction, so I can understand that the concept of this new w371 is very promising. But how much will it cost?
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Also, from the graphs it looks like the new 8351b has a smoother curve and more even off axis response / freq dispersion than the previous model and definitely better than the 8341. Time to upgrade?
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

8050B's still going strong!Although these look fantastic
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

This is really impressive! What a shame, I only bought my 8351As a few months ago - will there be any programme for a swap & pay a little extra for people who recently bought 8351As? I would then also order the 2xW371 to pair them up! Is there any info on the approximate pricing for the W371 yet?
Old 7th September 2019
Wow, the subs... Question, might the subs be working with 8260 at a later stage?
Old 8th September 2019
Omg the white ones..... DROOL ALERT
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Found this in a comment confirmed by Genelec on their Facebook page.

The European list prices are: 8351B -3450€, 8361A - 4100€ and W371 - 7600€.

Per monitor of course.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Oh, the W371 looks so interesting but the price is a bit too high to be possible for me. :( I had hoped for something in the 3k range. But looks like really impressive technology, so happy that finally more and more companies look at new ways to solve the low frequency issues in a room.

Great stuff.
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

DAC

I would really be interested if the 8351B and 8361 have updated DACs and ADCs compared to the 8351A. I always felt that the conversion is holding back the performance on these speakers. In the past years that has been huge progress in DAC technology.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search