The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
United Plugins presents: Front DAW by Soundevice Digital - Free for a limited time
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Unfortunately, Win 7 will be officially not supported by Microsoft very soon, I wouldn't as a pro user use them.
But...it says PROFESSIONAL on the Windows 7 start up splash screen!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I don't exactly think Windows 7 users, in 2019, have a very good case to be made for things always working as planned.

Wish I had more to say about this plugin but I won't get to really test it until the next week or two.

On the plus side I'll be putting in some time with my Sound Devices MixPre 6 but that's for another thread.

I do have a small comment on the plugin. It doesn't make a great "front end" for guitar amp simulators in the box. I found that it was coloring my electric guitar sounds a bit much, being "between" the guitar/DI and the virtual amplifier setup. Tends to darken things a bit too much. EDIT: obviously I should have tried placing it after the amp in the chain.

That's not the intended use of this plugin anyway. I think using it across tracks in a full mix is going to be where the money is. I'm really excited about the feedback this plugin is getting. I have added it to my Cubase template so any future projects will be tests of a few dozen of these plugins.

Request for update: Get it going like the Brainworx TMT stuff with a button for randomizing all instances at once. Maybe an undo button as well to find some random "sweet spot."

Last edited by monkeyxx; 1 week ago at 04:43 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

HI Carloff,

Thanks for this. Im having no issues so far using with latest versions of Logic and Mac OS.

I like what this plug in does. What would be great for the paid version IMO is...

Output level.

Option to switch emulations globally. So it would allow the whole mix to be changed via one plug in. Also a global bypass would be nice too.

Low pass as well as high pass.

Extra emulations in the future would be welcomed.

I just knocked up a quick mock up of an idea. Maybe gives a better idea of what I mean.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
United Plugins presents: Front DAW by Soundevice Digital - Free for a limited time-frontdaw.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Global mode switch is something I really want too. It would be a pain in the a$$ to manually toggle 20 of these plugins when trying to mix.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Most pro users are either Windows 7 or Windows 10. Not supporting Win 7 is a mistake.
+1 - also amateur users. win7 is still the only one I trust, (and it's what we use at work too, professionally).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I registered on the UP website, all pretty straightforward really.

The install was easy, helpful instructions on their website.

I threw it on a CR78 rhythm in USA mode - instant punch, grit, and girth.

Thanks UP for the freebie, I'll check out your other plugs ASAP.

PS, I'm on Win7 64 Home Premium, Pro Tools 11, Front DAW is working fine.

Last edited by Tubthumper; 1 week ago at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Added OS info
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Global mode switch is something I really want too. It would be a pain in the a$$ to manually toggle 20 of these plugins when trying to mix.
Yes...this is part of the evil plan to hook us in with free high-quality sound...then sell a control mechanism. Bwah-ha-ha-ha

Still, easier than swapping consoles...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

You should also be able to link input and output knobs. Can't think of any reason against that feature..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Sounds good! Of course it's too loud when you insert it, but gain matched it does something very nice. Also want an output trim (the way VCC deals with gain and grouping is the best) but this might sound better?!?!
Pretty much my thoughts as well. Something nice happening here in small doses.

Thanks for the gift Boris.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbox View Post
You should also be able to link input and output knobs. Can't think of any reason against that feature..
Not arguing against it in principle, I'm sure it'd be a useful feature; also, there is something interesting that happens when the knobs are independent...like the hardware.

The Front DAW interface is very similar to my BAE 1073mpf. The gain is stepped and the output attenuator dial is continuous. In operation, the output dial attenuates independently within each stepped gain range (as it only has to act on the selected resistor-value rather than the entire gain range). The Front DAW seems to emulate this.
Old 1 week ago
Thanks for this one. It sounds great. +1 on the output trim.
Old 1 week ago
Thanks, sounds cool and it's a new saturation tone, another vote for the output trim.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Sound nice - especially in GE mode.

If you do add an output control, please have a link button so when you turn the input down the output goes up by an equal amount and vice versa.

I find it sounds nice with the input trimmed back to making it less intense, but it still adds a nice amount of presence. I would like to be able to change the input without changing the apparent loudness too much.

Thanks for the free plug!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Works fine without the output trim. Bring down the input some and start cranking up the mojo. The mojo ads harmonics independently is the input.

Everything from download to install went smoothly. The only exception is I can’t freeze a track when this plugin is inserted in S1.
I think the GE is the real winner here but Also like the crispy highs from the NR.
What else can I say I really like free stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Another vote for gain compensation
Old 6 days ago
I registered and downloaded the plugin but have no license in my account???
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

gave it a thorough run through and its not for me.it has the same issue i have with all these console emulations.they seem to push things back,even when the harmonics themselves bring up low level detail(like the GE setting for instance) and plugins in general seem to push things back,so i don't need another one doing the same.also the attack on certain bass instruments becomes somewhat mushy too.that could possibly be whatever DC blocking this thing is doing as that is something i run into regularly with "analog modelled"plugins.i think i will stick with the Airwindows consoles.they lack the colour,but they don't have any of the caveats i just listed
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend Bump View Post
Bring down the input some and start cranking up the mojo. The mojo adds harmonics independently of the input.
This. Output trim isn't needed if you use the plugin this way.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

How can a deafult be saved ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
This. Output trim isn't needed if you use the plugin this way.
So driving or taming the input doesn't have any effect?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Sure it does. Past digital "0" usually isn't a good idea though. But the generated harmonics are the point of the plugin, be they subtle or somewhat noticeable.

Mojo = Drive for those familiar with Slate Digital's VCC plugin.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm not sure as I use it just as I use my analog, so I dont hit it at higher then 0vu. Even if I crank the mojo I dont get any of the nasty artifacts people r commenting about and I dont need to adjust the out tbreally as I'm not getting much of a gain change this way
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
When I was looking at it with the analyzer with Mojo off the harmonics where all but gone, clean gain. as Mojo is increased so are the harmonics.
Doesn't seem like a distortion box as more of a color box. Ive been using GE input gain somewhere between -3 & -6 and Mojo around 8. If the source is bright then Mojo gets backed off. Pretty simple.

Last edited by Lowend Bump; 6 days ago at 04:04 AM.. Reason: ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't seem like a distortion box as more of a color box.
? Distortion IS making a "color box" (unless you're talking about blunt, over-driven distortion)

Quote:
Ive been using GE input gain somewhere between -3 & -6 and Mojo around 8. If the source is bright then Mojo gets backed off. Pretty simple.
That's pretty much my findings.

IMO anyone who experience "losing depth" - they are obviously driving the plug WAY too hard. at -18dBFS to -20dBFS it makes subtle-to-prominent difference.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

@ carloff

are the free updates for it?
I love what this thing does
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluggdude View Post
@ carloff

are the free updates for it?
I love what this thing does
Yes there will be of course maintenance updates for the exact plugin.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Yes there will be of course maintenance updates for the exact plugin.
nice.

but are you saying this is the final version (w/maintenance updates like you said) of the plugin we're using, meaning there will be another plugin like this with added features?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluggdude View Post
nice.

but are you saying this is the final version (w/maintenance updates like you said) of the plugin we're using, meaning there will be another plugin like this with added features?
I don’t say anything time will show
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru
guys I'd assume this will be expanded upon. It's too good not to. GS is a wonderful beta test platform to release into the wild a finished product and get feedback. These guys are serious and released other great products so can't imagine it's a one-off!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post
? Distortion IS making a "color box" (unless you're talking about blunt, over-driven distortion)
yeah it’s not a fuzz box.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search