The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
United Plugins presents: Front DAW by Soundevice Digital - Free for a limited time
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Pliz put an Abbey Road console init !

Like so :

My band [Pink noise Floyd] is anxiously waiting to be processed by FD with ARC setting ! [we play all types of pink noise music. which is, of course, the best type of music imaginable. And its best processed by any type of audio processor, which - of course - makes it the best music currently available]

[J/K]

Joking aside, For all ya guys who demand an output knob:
Insert one BitShiftGain. Set it to -6dB ["-1" setting on the slider]
Insert one FrontDaw.
Crank the input trim of FD [with or without Mojo cranked. Default is also good] till you get a pleasing tone. Flick the console type to your liking [You'll have to twist a controller anyway, be it an output knob or an external gain slider so it is a good, effortless solution].

Check your peak readings. Rejoice.

Job done.
Move on.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I can confirm that V 1.1 does NOT null in ProTools ultimate 2019.6! Neither if you create a new instance for each track nor if you copy the plugin across to another track. The plugins settings default to noon and set like that, when phase inverting one stereo track peaking just under 0 against another, I am left with -42 for BR, -38 for US and -28 for GE. GE is clearly a lot dirtier that the rest.

This basically means that is works as it should - except for the missing output trim... :D
Your post got me very excited... but then I tried it in my copy of PT Ultimate 2019.6 and it nulls 100% I tried it on up to 10 tracks mono and stereo and on all models at default and maxing out the mojo and lowering the input til I was just about hitting 0. Total Silence every single time.

I went a little crazy and...

- I tried quitting and restarting just in case frontdaw had to scan instances...
- using dual mono instances, mono, stereo and even a dual mono and stereo
- I tried at 96k 32bit, 44.1 32bit (in case the plugin worked differently)
- I tried 44.1 24 bit.

These were always new sessions and I grouped the automation parameters so I could raise and lower them exactly the same and from minimum to default to max = same results.

Would you mind sharing if you are on mac or pc? I'm running Mojave 10.14.6

Maybe they could just add a RANDOMIZE button and call it a day? The acronym would still work : VARM (Variable Analogue RandomIZED Modeling)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

How is their Royal compressor? It’s a Mu right? I might need to check that out
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Your post got me very excited... but then I tried it in my copy of PT Ultimate 2019.6 and it nulls 100% I tried it on up to 10 tracks mono and stereo and on all models at default and maxing out the mojo and lowering the input til I was just about hitting 0. Total Silence every single time.

I went a little crazy and...

- I tried quitting and restarting just in case frontdaw had to scan instances...
- using dual mono instances, mono, stereo and even a dual mono and stereo
- I tried at 96k 32bit, 44.1 32bit (in case the plugin worked differently)
- I tried 44.1 24 bit.

These were always new sessions and I grouped the automation parameters so I could raise and lower them exactly the same and from minimum to default to max = same results.

Would you mind sharing if you are on mac or pc? I'm running Mojave 10.14.6

Maybe they could just add a RANDOMIZE button and call it a day? The acronym would still work : VARM (Variable Analogue RandomIZED Modeling)
That is very weird, indeed... I am on a Mac Pro 2012 cheese grater running 10.14.6 as well an PT 19.6, so... ??? If you like, you could send me the PT session you have for me to check it out over here. Just those test tracks..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

It’s just a saturation who gives a care about VARM.. using it on all tracks could ruin your dynamics and make things “mushy” sounding
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6x View Post
It’s just a saturation who gives a care about VARM.. using it on all tracks could ruin your dynamics and make things “mushy” sounding
Only if you drive it [way ?] too hard, chopping transient info which leads to lost depth and "mushiness".

MusicLov3r's advice is a good starting point. try it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
I have a huge aversion to randomization like VARM and all that.
Hey Stoney, I see you active in the Airwindows threads and a lot of what you and Chris talk about is way over my head but I enjoy learning what I can heh. So is VARM doing a similar thing to what the AW ConsoleChannel/ConsoleBuss combos do? Just curious as why you are averse to the slight randomizations between channels? Is it just because it's something you want to have control over in some way? Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Hey Stoney, I see you active in the Airwindows threads and a lot of what you and Chris talk about is way over my head but I enjoy learning what I can heh. So is VARM doing a similar thing to what the AW ConsoleChannel/ConsoleBuss combos do? Just curious as why you are averse to the slight randomizations between channels? Is it just because it's something you want to have control over in some way? Thanks!
Hey! Thanks for the shout.

Airwindows Console stuff is totally unique in DAW land for all I know. Those tools technically do nothing on a single channel, but kick in once more than one signal is summed together at the buss. A direct comparison between AW and FrontDAW is probably the Airwindows Channel series - could be a cool A/B comparison between AW Channel and FrontDAW, for those into that stuff.

Yes, you got it on the VARM thing - I actually LIKE predictability in the DAW. Especially when the plugin is doing some kind of resonant filtering - I like tuning my resonant filters to musical values, ones that might relate to the song in some way. However, that's just me being a little OCD I guess. I'm sure tons of other folks would shoot me down telling me how irrelevant it is, but I just don't like the "magic black box" approach, I prefer to know what the thing is doing when I use it.

Feel free to dive in on the threads or send a PM if you want to get in on some discussions on any of that stuff - always more than happy to talk audio with anybody who will listen!

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is very weird, indeed... I am on a Mac Pro 2012 cheese grater running 10.14.6 as well an PT 19.6, so... ??? If you like, you could send me the PT session you have for me to check it out over here. Just those test tracks..
I very much appreciate the offer - sent you a PM and a link to your email from your website.

Hoping I've overlooked something dumb
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

VARM doesn't work on the full version of Front DAW. Null all the time. REAPER Win 10 64.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I very much appreciate the offer - sent you a PM and a link to your email from your website.

Hoping I've overlooked something dumb
I checked your session out. It nulls. Then I deactivated your instances and added 2 new ones. It still nulled. Then I did it again, a second try, so to speak and then it no longer nulls. Thrird try still does not null... So - it seems you have to wake the beast up, or it only works as it should some times. Your original instances still null... Even after waking the beast up... You had your instances grouped so you were able to change them all at once. Perhaps that is the problem? Try to instantiate new ones and see if that helps! Try it twice!!

Update! I turns out that I had my instances after the Phase invert and further testing shows me that having the phase invert after the Front DAW nulls, whereas phase inversion first then FDAW does not null. Weird.

Last edited by World Studios; 1 week ago at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Update!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

What must a guy do to get FrontDAW technical support at your company? I’ve twice emailed your support team over the past week and received no response. And no, I check my spam folder regularly and the email has not ended up there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Update! I turns out that I had my instances after the Phase invert and further testing shows me that having the phase invert after the Front DAW nulls, whereas phase inversion first then FDAW does not null. Weird.
I’ve noticed the same.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think when asymmetrical clipping is involved, a phase inverted signal would get a different treatment that the original version. Haven't tested this with other plugins so it's just a hunch. In any case if VARM is working then it should not null after the plugin.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
I think when asymmetrical clipping is involved, a phase inverted signal would get a different treatment that the original version. Haven't tested this with other plugins so it's just a hunch. In any case if VARM is working then it should not null after the plugin.
That makes sense... Good spot!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
It should not but it did. At least on my system.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealsongs View Post
What must a guy do to get FrontDAW technical support at your company? I’ve twice emailed your support team over the past week and received no response. And no, I check my spam folder regularly and the email has not ended up there.
Could you send me your email to PM , just asked Jacob and he said all mails was answered and has an empty mailbox ...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I checked your session out. It nulls. Then I deactivated your instances and added 2 new ones. It still nulled. Then I did it again, a second try, so to speak and then it no longer nulls. Thrird try still does not null... So - it seems you have to wake the beast up, or it only works as it should some times. Your original instances still null... Even after waking the beast up... You had your instances grouped so you were able to change them all at once. Perhaps that is the problem? Try to instantiate new ones and see if that helps! Try it twice!!

Wow, thanks for the update. Very interesting. I'll try to repeat and report back. (Incidentally I only grouped them AFTER I tried to null the default ones but, hey, seems like this isn't acting exactly as expected so I'll look at that too)
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Confirmed, version 1.1 allows correct license loading. That wasn't working before. Thanks for the update!
@ carloff your plugin would do well to place a third order or steeper Butterworth style high pass filter at about 20-30 Hz after the processing. There seems to be some very low end noise issue (DC?).

Also, people make fun of the aliasing police but the reality is if you use 44.1 kHz or 48 khz sample rates then there may be some "foldback" frequencies being added into the audible signal. Analog hardware does not alias. Crank up a 20 kHz tone inside of a 44.1 kHz project to see what I mean.

Last edited by doom64; 2 days ago at 07:36 AM..
Old 27 minutes ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Confirmed, version 1.1 allows correct license loading. That wasn't working before. Thanks for the update!
@ carloff your plugin would do well to place a third order or steeper Butterworth style high pass filter at about 20-30 Hz after the processing. There seems to be some very low end noise issue (DC?).

Also, people make fun of the aliasing police but the reality is if you use 44.1 kHz or 48 khz sample rates then there may be some "foldback" frequencies being added into the audible signal. Analog hardware does not alias. Crank up a 20 kHz tone inside of a 44.1 kHz project to see what I mean.
I agree, aliasing is still one of the thing that separates outboard sound from software sound (among a lot of other things). With a "used once or twice" effect it is fine. But when it comes to plugins you "should" use on every tracks or busses, the issue need to be addressed more seriously IMO.
I never understood why here people are getting crazy about someone talking about aliasing...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search