The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
United Plugins presents: Front DAW by Soundevice Digital - Free for a limited time
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Too late for free :(
Old 4 weeks ago
I registered and downloaded Front DAW days ago, but still dont have a license in my account??? Any ideas???
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

i miss it too... I can't believe i see this 2 days after..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I love this thing! Congratulations on a great product and thanks for the free offering. I've already put it to good use, without putting on my white lab coat.

Now I eagerly want to check out the rest of your plugins...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
I registered and downloaded Front DAW days ago, but still dont have a license in my account??? Any ideas???
Please write us on our FB page, Jacob will put your license on your account
cheers

Last edited by carloff; 4 weeks ago at 06:59 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

@ carloff any updates on the non-functioning VARM?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
it is problem of some DAWs, we are working on it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
my opinion of the sound of VARM is it's one of the most hilarious gear acronyms I have ever heard

also would make a good name for a tall single dude about 50 years old.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Please write us on our FB page, Jacob will put your license on your acount
cheers
Will do, thanks Carloff
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

This VARM thing is not working in Studio One, and the vst3 gui is broken.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if VARM works with Reaper (OSX)?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Brilliant plugin Boris
I look forward to whatever you have for us next!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
my opinion of the sound of VARM is it's one of the most hilarious gear acronyms I have ever heard

also would make a good name for a tall single dude about 50 years old.
Or here in Sweden Varm Varmasson
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Does anyone know if VARM works with Reaper (OSX)?
It definitely works on Reaper 64 Win7
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Confirmed, VARM not working in Studio1
Old 4 weeks ago
VARM works fine on my studio one setup.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Guy View Post
Or here in Sweden Varm Varmasson
google translated that to me as "Hot Meat Massage" in english LOLLLL

I'm still trying to figure out if I like this plugin or not
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
google translated that to me as "Hot Meat Massage" in english LOLLLL

I'm still trying to figure out if I like this plugin or not
It needs about 8 more pages of hype, then you'll love it.

It's got a big bottom bump that makes it sound beefy and lot's of harmonics and IMD other hash mixed in.

Can't quite figure it out myself.
Sometimes it brings something good and sometimes it's too much.

Curious to see what the final product brings.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
VARM works fine on my studio one setup.
You sure? Did you try null test?
There should be some variations with same settings but no, it nulls perfectly...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau777 View Post
It needs about 8 more pages of hype, then you'll love it.

It's got a big bottom bump that makes it sound beefy and lot's of harmonics and IMD other hash mixed in.

Can't quite figure it out myself.
Sometimes it brings something good and sometimes it's too much.

Curious to see what the final product brings.
I hear that too.

Fat bottom bump, sucks out some highs, big softening happens.

I think I'll end up using it on specific tracks rather than constantly over every track in the mix, it's a bit heavy handed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Just to amplify the signal already out there: thank you again for putting this out there for free for as long as you did. My favorite so far is the GE. I swapped it in for where I would usually place ST Radiator in a vocal chain and I like how it adds grit/mojo without being too over-the-top or harsh. It also pairs well with Acustica plugs when the AA preamp isn't flattering the sound for whatever reason.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
You sure? Did you try null test?
There should be some variations with same settings but no, it nulls perfectly...
Yep, did a null test a few weeks ago on S1 4.5.2, after the initial reports of issues with VARM started appearing here in the thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks United
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I finally gave it a try. I've been late to the party due to too much work and travel to spend hours trying new stuff.

I tried it on a stem mastering/mixing (I very very rarely do that). Kind of 2000sish soft electro track.

For the output level matching, I just reduced the input and adjusted the mojo to taste. And save presets called "Unity Gain Mojo 5, Mojo 3 etc...".

I tried it with Mojo at noon. I really liked the Neve (British) and the Telefunken (Ge) was nice also on bass material. I only liked the API (?) (US) on less important busses (FXs, overdub synth etc...). I did not really like the kind of "artificial" high-end excitement it was adding.
I used the plugin last in the insert chain by the way.

I tried to add it on the mixbus but wasn't really fond of it so I ended up not using it on mixbus.

All in all it added a little bit of low-mid saturation to the side, making the whole song a bit more cohesive. Enjoyable but not sure it is always what I would want. As sometimes you need to have a mix that sounds clear as day, well separated etc... Here it really gave less separation in a way.

I did not feel the burning need of an output knob, of course it will be cool to have it, but the workaround to avoid it and still have level matched results is pretty easy and took me 30 seconds to understand and setup.

All in all, I am never sure if I like those type of plugins or not. It gave me the same feel with NLS and VCC. When I A/B on and off, I am thinking : "Is this better or just different ?". In the end I think it is just different. Although this plugin seem to make the sound less smeary than VCC and seem to kill less transients than NLS. I did not compared it to Satson yet, but I do like the soft sound of Satson that I use on individual track when it's needed.
I mix very regularly on large analog desk so I know which sound to expect. Those plugins never gave me the same feel and sound, which is logical in a way.

It is useful to have and give you that extra cohesive muddiness if you need it sometimes.

I won't talk about aliasing to not be digitally burned alive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Man I like reviews like the above....that's the way to talk about a product.
Old 4 weeks ago
I just finished up a couple really complex pop mixes, with multiple competing (er, coexisting/complimentary ) bass lines, live drums plus 808s and other programmed drums, etc. The Front DAW proved indispensable at helping to create some separation between all these similar elements, and ESPECIALLY helpful as a light saturator for sub bass and 808s, controlling transients, allowing them to stand out on smaller playback systems, and not totally eat at the headroom of what needed to be some pretty loud mixes.

It was also great on ITB keyboards, particularly on a tune where a lot of high-gain rhythm guitars were layered against various synth pads and leads. It helped put everything in a sonic space similar enough to feel cohesive, but without creating a lack of separation or clarity.

Plus, the built-in HPF is like the most useful bell 'n whistle ever. I'd personally love a LPF too...i'd take that over the output trim any day (since, as noted, the mojo knob is quite effective at keeping things roughly at unity gain for ease of a/b-ing)

ETA - my by-far favorite setting has become the German mode. It was flippin' GREAT on those 808s and sub basses, and has been rocking on heavy guitars too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yep, did a null test a few weeks ago on S1 4.5.2, after the initial reports of issues with VARM started appearing here in the thread.
that's strange .. it nulls completely here on s1 pro 4.5.4 (windows 10)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

VARM working in Reaper (OSX).

To those getting perfect nulls - are you duplicating the track (and hence plugin)? That seems to also copy the VARM; duplicating in Reaper causes a null. A fresh instance of FD works as intended.

As @ bgrotto says - if you've yet to test GE on an 808/subs, prepare to smile :¬) GE is also my favourite mode. Works nicely with True Iron.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just finished up a couple really complex pop mixes, with multiple competing (er, coexisting/complimentary ) bass lines, live drums plus 808s and other programmed drums, etc. The Front DAW proved indispensable at helping to create some separation between all these similar elements, and ESPECIALLY helpful as a light saturator for sub bass and 808s, controlling transients, allowing them to stand out on smaller playback systems, and not totally eat at the headroom of what needed to be some pretty loud mixes.

It was also great on ITB keyboards, particularly on a tune where a lot of high-gain rhythm guitars were layered against various synth pads and leads. It helped put everything in a sonic space similar enough to feel cohesive, but without creating a lack of separation or clarity.

Plus, the built-in HPF is like the most useful bell 'n whistle ever. I'd personally love a LPF too...i'd take that over the output trim any day (since, as noted, the mojo knob is quite effective at keeping things roughly at unity gain for ease of a/b-ing)

ETA - my by-far favorite setting has become the German mode. It was flippin' GREAT on those 808s and sub basses, and has been rocking on heavy guitars too.
Yup, GE does hug a bass in a lush, bloated, beautiful way. Hums.

Thanks for the free plugin, from one Boris Karloff to another Boris Carloff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
VARM working in Reaper (OSX).

To those getting perfect nulls - are you duplicating the track (and hence plugin)? That seems to also copy the VARM; duplicating in Reaper causes a null. A fresh instance of FD works as intended.

As @ bgrotto says - if you've yet to test GE on an 808/subs, prepare to smile :¬) GE is also my favourite mode. Works nicely with True Iron.
I swear we're the same person lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search