The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer New Product Release: RD-8
Old 23rd August 2019
News Desk Editor

Behringer New Product Release: RD-8-rhythm-designer-rd-8_p0dg5_top-front_l.png

Classic Analog Drum Machine with 16 Drum Sounds, 64 Step Sequencer, Wave Designer and Dual-Mode Filter

The RHYTHM DESIGNER RD-8 provides all the tools you need to become a master beat-maker, including: 16 drum sounds; a 64-step sequencer; Wave Designer and dual-mode filter – for a full-fledged drum machine that'll shake the house! Whether you're new to drum programming or a seasoned pro looking to upgrade your setup, the RD-8 has everything you need to step up to the big time.

Masterpiece Rejuvenated
Great care has been taken in designing the RD-8 to achieve new possibilities in beat creation by reviving a timeless analog design from one of the most-classic drum machines of yesteryear. By taking a fresh and modern approach on a classic drum machine, the RD-8 gives you the power to harness the phenomenal sound of the 808 and tap into some new features as well. Colossal bass drums through to sizzling hi-hats can be manipulated to elevate your rhythm performance to the next level. This is an analog beat-making monster!

Live Performance Beat Master
Built to enhance the way you perform, the RD-8 boasts all-new features for live use in each of the sequencer modes including step repeat, note repeat, real-time triggering and live step-overdubbing. This makes it easy to enable recording in pattern launch mode, so you can build song structures on-the-fly and switch back to manual mode at the touch of a button. Then you are free to add some excitement with the autofill feature and to introduce more variations. You can even cue up another song from memory without interrupting playback, allowing you to perform entire sets from start to finish – just using your RD-8!

Powerful & Feature-Rich Sequencer
The RD-8 features one of the most powerful step sequencers ever created, which provides much-improved workflows over the original. The 64-step sequencer also includes storage for up to 256 patterns and 16 songs, allowing the creation of song arrangements ranging from ultra-simple to incredibly complex.

Wave Designer & Dual-Mode Filter
The integrated Wave Designer has individual attack and sustain controls that can be applied to individual voices to bring another dimension to your drum beats. This provides yet another way to control sounds to build virtually unlimited – and awesome new tones. Additionally, RD-8’s highly-flexible dual-mode 12 dB filter button toggles between LPF and HPF, allowing you to experiment with the cutoff frequency and resonance controls to create out of this world beats. And those fluid sweeps can be recorded straight into the sequencer and further tweaked using the step editor.

Parameter Chaining
RD-8’s robust encoder lets you set separate chain preferences for each of your parameters, allowing them to function globally or to switch on when a song or pattern changes. Parameters include tempo, swing, flam, probability, independent track mutes/solos, FX bus assignments, filter modes and sweeps for enhanced real-time control. Patterns can be changed on-the-fly for further creative control when using the RD-8 as the heart of your live setup.

USB Control
To bring the RD-8 into the modern age, USB connectivity has been added for sync and MIDI triggering. This enables the RD-8 to be controlled by your DAW if desired, allowing songs and patterns to be swapped or individual sounds to be triggered.

The Numbers
The RD-8 has 29 knobs, 5 switches and 59 buttons, all laid out in a highly-intuitive format that puts the fun back into your beat creation. Input and output connections include: Phones; Mono audio; MIDI In, Out and Thru over USB and 5 pin MIDI ports; and 11 independent analog outputs for external processing or recording your rhythms as multitrack audio. With its 3 trigger outs, the RD-8 lets you control external synths and hardware sequencers to create songs without a digital audio workstation (DAW) in sight. The RD-8 can also send and receive clock information with highly-accurate timing to sync it to the outside world.

Features:
  • Amazing drum machine with authentic analog sound engine to create the classic sound performance
  • 16 original drum sounds with additional parameters and global Accent capability
  • Modern and versatile workflow provides enhanced playability, enabling you to create captivating live performances
  • Powerful 64-step drum sequencer supports poly-meter, step-repeat, note-repeat, real-time triggering, track-mute and track-solo
  • Integrated FX bus features Wave Designer and dual-mode Analog Filter with per voice assignment
  • Live recording, editing and playback of Analog Filter cutoff via automation
  • Storage of up to 16 songs and 256 patterns, all of which can be imported/exported during playback for unlimited songs and patterns
  • Pattern Mode allows arrangement of patterns into full songs and setting number of repeats per song part
  • Song Mode allows chaining songs together for live sets and expanded compositions
  • Unique Auto Scroll feature enables improvisation in all modes
  • Comprehensive MIDI In/Out/Thru and USB implementation for synchronization and connection to external devices
  • Sync options include USB, MIDI, Clock and Internal for maximum versatility
  • 11 independent analog outputs for external processing or recording your rhythms as multi-track audio
  • Powerful headphone and main outputs on 1/4" connectors
  • High-visibility LED display makes it easy to verify program parameters
  • Robust encoder for editing parameters such as Tempo, Swing, Probability, Flam and Random
  • 16 vintage-style step buttons with bold LED indicators for easy pattern creation
  • 3-Year Warranty Program*
  • Designed and engineered in the U.K.
For more information and to order, visit: https://www.behringer.com/Categories...oogtrans(en|en)
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer New Product Release: RD-8-rhythm-designer-rd-8_p0dg5_top-front_l.png  
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Maniac

Wow... they are doing a lot...
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Addict

Looks fantastic.
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Head

Angry

Looks great, except, what about warranty?
In Europe Behringer tries to avoid warranty completely. I've got a mixing desk that broke within 4 months. They flat out refuse to repair it (or even return the broken unit).
Old 23rd August 2019
Mho
Lives for gear

Great!
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhamster View Post
Looks great, except, what about warranty?
In Europe Behringer tries to avoid warranty completely. I've got a mixing desk that broke within 4 months. They flat out refuse to repair it (or even return the broken unit).
Surely your issue is with the shop or re-seller who sold you the unit?

Presumably your communications have been with them and not directly with Behringer?

You're aware that the re-seller is legally obliged to fix or replace the unit while still under warranty?
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Addict

I never thought in my life that one day I would use the term "very impressive" in conjunction with Behringer. But now it's the right time! Very impressive, Mr Behringer!
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

$350

How can you not, really?
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
$350

How can you not, really?
AUD 659 here in Australia = USD 445

I get excited when Behringer announce these great new products and prices and then my heart sinks when I see the price here and how we get shafted by our local distributor and retail system. Anyway still a lot cheaper than the Roland TR-8S.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

350 usd is 520 aud .

Then add on about another 50 usd for delivery via fedex you would still save about 50aud.

Sweetwater price saves you about 175 usd off there msrp of 525 usd.

Then by the time aussie retail stores actually get one it will be 2020 for sure.

I have owned both the tr 8 and the S and I cant wait to get a RD 808.

Roland missed out big time with their recent offerings.

Ill be ordering one from Sweetwater for sure.

Cheers
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Can't believe this is getting so little attention although I'm glad to be the sixth thumb up.

Major respect go out to Behringer; for democratizing hardware in an affordable way.

Old 25th August 2019
Gear Head
i have been waiting for this since it first got announced last year and the 13th September cant come soon enough
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post

I get excited when Behringer announce these great new products and prices and then my heart sinks when I see the price here and how we get shafted by our local distributor and retail system. Anyway still a lot cheaper than the Roland TR-8S.
$659 is the RRP - Most stores are starting to advertise them at $599 now that stock is coming. I just placed a pre-order at my local store for $575.

Which converted with GST is $350USD. Which is MAP from what I can gather? Never pay retail Due October or late September if I am lucky.
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Or back ordered until 2020.

Cheers
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

I know, my wife is from NZ and lived in Brisbane for 7 years, when we first married I looked at moving to Australia with her as I loved the place so much.

Then I went into a music store in Brisbane and discovered gear costs 40% more in Australia. I figured it was protective government import duty, nothing to do with the shops themselves, at least that's what I was told?

Are Rode mics still sensible prices as it's a home rolled product?

Back OT - I love the look of this new drum machine - I wonder if it's sound matches it's looks?
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

The whole time I had one of these in the 80s I never appreciated it enough and was lusting after a Linn Drum.
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The whole time I had one of these in the 80s I never appreciated it enough and was lusting after a Linn Drum.
LOL!

You are giving away your age there buddy.

Be cool if Behringer releases a Linn drum though......
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg View Post
Can't believe this is getting so little attention although I'm glad to be the sixth thumb up.

Major respect go out to Behringer; for democratizing hardware in an affordable way.

Little attention hahahaha, there is a multipage thread from when they actually announced it, this is a rehash because Roland kciked them in the face over their numbering, so they cant use 808, which this was originally called, they have had to change the name of the 101 too, so expect no more Roland numberings from any company ever again.
Roland, bunch of tossbags, gone from the greatest music tech company on teh planet to a company that only cares about numbers (Literally)
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Roland, bunch of tossbags, gone from the greatest music tech company on teh planet to a company that only cares about numbers (Literally)
Lol because they won't let the company who's stealing their design, steal the actual name, too.

Give us a call once you get some real world experience.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Roland blew it by not making this product themselves. Hopefully it will be a rude awakening when they see the absurd amount of sales they're missing out on.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol because they won't let the company who's stealing their design, steal the actual name, too.

Give us a call once you get some real world experience.
Erm no, because they are claiming ownership over a number, just because you aren't clever enough to understand how ridiculous that is, then please, keep quiet until you have actually visited the real world.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
Roland blew it by not making this product themselves. Hopefully it will be a rude awakening when they see the absurd amount of sales they're missing out on.
Even if Roland had released a 1000 € analog, full sized version 2, they would have sold MANY of it!
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
Even if Roland had released a 1000 € analog, full sized version 2, they would have sold MANY of it!
Exactly! It's just silly. Hopefully this will be the kind of reality check that they need. It's not enough to just threaten/sue people for your IP on products that are long out of production. They have such an excellent portfolio of products that people would be willing to pay to purchase (as is evidenced by how successful the preorders have been for this and other Behringer products). Competition is always a good thing for us, the consumer.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Maniac
when they say "authentic analogue sound engine" what do they mean, exactly.
do they mean an actual analogue circuit, or do they mean an "authentic emulation" by an onboard computer running a piece of software; i honestly can't tell from the wording.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepCircle View Post
when they say "authentic analogue sound engine" what do they mean, exactly.
do they mean an actual analogue circuit, or do they mean an "authentic emulation" by an onboard computer running a piece of software; i honestly can't tell from the wording.
This bad boy is all analogue except for a few of the onboard digital effects, but those are just gravy. Even the filters are analogue but digitally controlled.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Maniac
good gravy i want one
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Hhahahahah! ( through tears, I should add..)

I hear you brother! This is EXXXACTLY how I feel. Oh, wooow, funk yeah!! Oh, hang on... Aah. Oh well...
??????
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Nut

Awesome! I always wanted a 808.

Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Erm no, because they are claiming ownership over a number, just because you aren't clever enough to understand how ridiculous that is, then please, keep quiet until you have actually visited the real world.
In the "real world" you're allowed to protect your inventions. Without this protection, companies will not invest in R&D, and the products become stagnant. If you develop a product called "B-202" and it becomes a major hit, would you be ok with Behringer releasing what is essentially the same product and calling it "B-202?" Of course you would not. This is taught on the very first day of Business 101. So, following your rude response to someone else, please keep quiet until you have actually thought about it.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

is this based on anything or an original design?

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search