The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TC Electronic releases Finalizer App
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacos View Post
I used to have access to the hardware, and although it doesn't have the same magic, it is a fair good emulation for the price...

Curious about this -Along with some standalone Lucid and Audient Black converters, I still use a couple of TC Studio Konnekt 48's and a TC Digital Konnekt x32 for my main Audio Interface, so I really respect TC A/D and D/A. That's part of what you get in System 6000's as well. But -past that, there's no analog going on I'm aware of?! It's algorithms, ba-by! (and *what* algorithms!!). I have a PoCo X8 with MD3 which up until recently I have used when mastering (I am not a professional mastering engineer); the 'MD5' in Finalizer looks to be replacing it (still testing with lots of different songs, to be sure).

So, anyway, aren't we essentially getting either the same or else 'upgraded' System 6000 algorithms in this Finalizer? Based on my reading of the manual, my experience so far using it, and the comments here on this thread so far, that is my understanding -certainly with the 5-band compressor, since the manual directly states so.

Anyone with System 6000 hardware who can compare / comment on this and other algo's, I would greatly appreciate your perspective.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacos View Post
I used to have access to the hardware, and although it doesn't have the same magic, it is a fair good emulation for the price...
You had access to the 6000? Or the Finalizer hardware?
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Head

Tc Electronic deserve an Award for this great software....
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Tested it yesterday and i was REALLY disappointed by super unintuitive GUI and workflow. I have TC Powercore 6000 and HW System 6000 and i like 6000 algorithms GUI and multipage workflow. It's logical enough in my opinion. I'm professional mixing & mastering engineer with 20 years of experience in audio field. If TC release these algos as a plug-in's i will try it again.
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
Anyone with System 6000 hardware who can compare / comment on this and other algo's, I would greatly appreciate your perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
You had access to the 6000? Or the Finalizer hardware?
I have the System 6000 Powercore and the MD3 and the 6000 Limiter are very similar to Finalizer. You can push them both to extremes without any distortion or pumping. The MD3 has very little phasing issues if any. The 6000 MD3 in addition to compression has simple EQ and M/S which is missing in the Finalizer version. The only time I used the M/S was for problematic mixes that had very little stereo imaging going on which is pretty rare. The Finalizer separate EQ seems right up there with the 6000.

PS - the ability to compare to hit songs visually is pretty useful for some material.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bought it.

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
Running at 96k improves latency and the operation of certain plugins.

If however you remove the 44.1 content from a 96k recording and play it, no matter what the system, only dogs and bats are going to hear anything.
Yep it's the age old reply to the higher freqs roundabout.

1: 96k and higher only benefits processing of plugins/DSP due to higher octave aliasing etc and faster transients.

2: Recording a straight .wav with no digital processing at 96khz adds no benefit over 44khz..... unless of course, you are going to later process them with plugins/DSP

3: With a plugin/DSP heavy arrangement at 96khz then bouncing down to 44khz with a very good downsampler the benefits are not lost in any way.

so just to quantify all this:

Plugin/DSP processing = Yes 96k good
Raw audio recording/playback = 96k pointless as nothing really useful above 18k to most peoples ears (no... if you are above 30 you cannot hear above 18khz... try it on brown noise, use a steep high pass above 18khz)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So as we said, 96K has sonic benefits, with improvements for recording, mixing and playback. I suppose we could wax poetically all day about the between-the-lines and the whys and why-nots and the who-said-whats. In the end, comparing a full 44K production/playback with one fully 96K and most of us here would hear it without much effort. I know because I've been a part of several well-planned tests. No, actually, in the real end, saying no to clients who request high SR is a no-no. Hear hear!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by artech909 View Post
Tested it yesterday and i was REALLY disappointed by super unintuitive GUI and workflow. I have TC Powercore 6000 and HW System 6000 and i like 6000 algorithms GUI and multipage workflow. It's logical enough in my opinion. I'm professional mixing & mastering engineer with 20 years of experience in audio field. If TC release these algos as a plug-in's i will try it again.
Horribly unintuitive. I'm experienced with the hardware and the TDM plugins.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi all,

I already own the TC6000 Powercore. Yes, big fan of the MD3. They touted this like the TC6000 too and so I thought, a chance to taste the MD4 Algo (maybe). Let's buy it. Offer is good USD $99/-

OK, so I just bought it. Loaded it through all the iLok rigmarole and DirectX audio driver issues.... and Finally hit play...

Hmm...

Observation:
The best way to describe it would be subtle. No fire! Like the MD3
The nativeness also comes through. That brown sand-like, mushy apples going bad texture. Something just isn't kicking in like a DSP driven plug. Was expecting much more glamour! in the sound.

Controls basic. (less is more, to the point) But, somehow annoying as hell. The amount of clicks they've added to the mastering journey is silly. The GUI isn't well thought off at all. The colour coding needs very much getting used to.

Final-word:
It's like an expensive restaurant you'd maybe go back to or seldom go to. You know it's wonderful cuisine but atleast for tonight. It don't cut it. Saying that I am sure I'd use it here and there, cause It's definitely all smooth and sublime and even invisible (in a mastering context) when one AB's ... but, I just didn't go... Wow!

I was expecting a UAD or TC Powered plugin dimensional sound.

My initial problem is an imagined over promise.
Will continue playing in the sand-pit.

Ciao'
Kayo

Last edited by Kayo; 3 weeks ago at 05:03 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
Hi all,

I already own the TC6000 Powercore. Yes, big fan of the MD3. They touted this like the TC6000 too and so I thought, a chance to taste the MD4 Algo (maybe)...

The nativeness also comes through. Something just isn't kicking in like a DSP driven plug.
Was expecting much more glamour! in the sound.

Final-word:
It's like an expensive restaurant you'd never go back to or seldom. I am sure I'd use it here and there.
It's all smooth and sublime (in a mastering context) but, I just didn't go... Wow!

My initial problem is an imagined over promise or an under-delivery.
Will continue playing in the sand-pit.
Definitely needs getting used to, agreed. And control is *streamlined* considerably from PoCo / 6000 world, for sure. MD4 is included and sounds great.

But in your mixing, are you usually going for more color and effect? I can see where Finalizer would be a big letdown there, if so. Would think with your TC6000 experience you'd have that all sussed out? For me, all the color, vibe, sizzle goes into the mixing. Finalizer is part of my Mastering stage and I'm looking to it to do the "TC thing" (enhancing, polishing, deepening, not messing with) -which (for me) it does great!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Something just isn't kicking in like a DSP driven plug. Was expecting much more glamour! in the sound.
The code is what makes a difference there, not the hardware platform. It should make no real difference to the sound whether that code is hosted by dedicated DSP or the computer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

TC has a VERY long history developing this type of software.
They remain at the top of the game for it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Anyone with good ears will tell you, this is the best mastering software available on the market now.... We should thank TC....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephderac View Post
Anyone with good ears will tell you, this is the best mastering software available on the market now.... We should thank TC....
Fully agree.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

The ment
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

When I
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

TC Finalizer
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It’s still on sale for $99 when I checked this morning. Don’t know when it will end, probably soon, so I purchased it!

I really like the loudness matched A/B switching between the original and the processed version - a near perfect loudness match.

I purchased it primarily for the brick wall limiter, which I have always thought was one of the best sounding clippers.

What I am most impressed with is the transparency of the signal when processed - it does not have that typical processed by too many plugin artifacts.

Also the MD3 still has that presence and punch it is known and loved for - great when you need to bring out the ambiance buried in the digital signal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoraxis View Post
It’s still on sale for $99 when I checked this morning. Don’t know when it will end, probably soon, so I purchased it!
No kiddin?

Well the proud TC blinked. Well, well maybe there was only a few to buy before the 20th that they claimed was the drop dead date.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Observation:
The nativeness also comes through. That brown sand-like, mushy apples going bad texture. Something just isn't kicking in like a DSP driven plug. Was expecting much more glamour! in the sound.
I am not finding the multi band Finalizer compressor to be less impressive then the Powercore. It's just as punchy and has less artifacts. Here are samples of a beat mastered with Powercore and then with Finalizer. I am finding I can get things louder and clearer with Finalizer and the transients really shine:
Attached Files
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I hear it opposite, PowerCore version is more clear sounding to me. I like Finalizer, by the way.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by temnov View Post
I hear it opposite, PowerCore version is more clear sounding to me. I like Finalizer, by the way.
What's weird is I put the same numbers into both PowerCore and Finalizer MD3 and Brick Wall and the setting react differently. Especially the attack and release on the multi band compressors are different but in the end I could get very similar results by listening. Odd but faster releases and attacks on the Finalizer 3 band compressor seems to match Powercore more closely. For sure they are not exactly the same but can be made to imitate each other closely. The PowerCore MD3 has soft saturation which is one of the best in the business and is not showing on the Finalizer 3 band compressor although seems there on the Brick Wall.

Tc - Wish list to have that awesome MD3 soft clip in Finalizer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search