The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AudioScape EQPA
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

AudioScape EQPA

Looks like AudioScape will be having an EQP-1A clone out at the end of the month. Posted on their Facebook and instagram pages, no details yet.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Looks like AudioScape will be having an EQP-1A clone out at the end of the month. Posted on their Facebook and instagram pages, no details yet.
Thanks for posting this, man!

We're about a week or two out from announcing the OFFICIAL release date!!!

Detailed info, proper product page and more to come in the next week or so!

This thing is KILLER. After over a year of development, research and exhaustive listening tests / analysis, we've finally reached the final iteration of our EQP-A!

We discovered a few interesting and eye-opening things during this process, one being an error in the schematics available that majorly effects the high-end response of the unit; which is NOT exhibited when using a vintage, OG Pultec.

We're super excited about this one, plus we have a HANDFUL of NEW, unannounced products currently in the developmental and prototyping phase.

Won't spill the beans until we are happy with them from a sonic stand-point, as always.

Thanks again, swafford! <3
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Hey,

first off I have to salute on nice gear. Everyone who has one speaks nothing but great experience about it. I don't own your piece. Yet. ;-) But you said something very intriguing. Mentioning an error all the way from the original schematics. I have KT clone(s). Or are they copies? Or KT take on Pultec style/type of EQ and that approach. For my needs more than adequate at this point. But if all alike devices are following same basic topology and schematic and build principle maybe that error affects behaviour. I have my doubts but still...

Can you share some light here on that error or is it really something of a architect and design detail which can't be shared easily? I am intrigued and would like ti know if it's not causing any issies for you.

Keep up the great builds!

Krešo
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Hey,

first off I have to salute on nice gear. Everyone who has one speaks nothing but great experience about it. I don't own your piece. Yet. ;-) But you said something very intriguing. Mentioning an error all the way from the original schematics. I have KT clone(s). Or are they copies? Or KT take on Pultec style/type of EQ and that approach. For my needs more than adequate at this point. But if all alike devices are following same basic topology and schematic and build principle maybe that error affects behaviour. I have my doubts but still...

Can you share some light here on that error or is it really something of a architect and design detail which can't be shared easily? I am intrigued and would like ti know if it's not causing any issies for you.

Keep up the great builds!

Krešo
Hi Krešo!

Thanks for the amazingly kind words, as always man!

We're very happy, humbled and elated with our current rate of success and most importantly, how much EVERYONE who owns our gear universally LOVES it and is using it everyday on amazing records, music, etc. The way gear should be used! Hahaha..

I can't speak directly for most of the other units out there, but if you're aware of the "bug" as we will call you, you can hear it on the units that ehibit it.

Since most companies (including KT) in our "price-range" are doing "their take" on these designs and in the process, omitting certain things, changing part of the circuit (usually all in an effort to save time or because some of the components or tubes simply aren't available over in China and can only be had on the NOS market here in the USA), etc it's hard to say.

Again, we don't want to speak for any other companies products or even give an opinion on them (GOOD or not so good! haha), but knowing what we know now, it can be heard on some videos I have seen. It is a VERY peculiar thing, TBH and something you'd probably never think to even test.

For obvious reasons, we don't want to get into too much detail on this, but simply state that the common complaint of "I like xyz "Pultec clone" but the high-end doesn't quite sound or react like the original, vintage units" is not an issue with our upcoming EQP-A.

If you've used a vintage Pultec (and mind you, they ALL sound different so it's kind of a moot point, but alas) you'll be RIGHT at home with our EQP-A!

TBH, the biggest difference in our unit is it's sonically period-correct accuracy, in our obviously biased opinions !

We also utilize all of the original tubes, including the NOS 6x4 rectifier tube which many units omit al-together and we use NOS tubes throughout the unit as standard. No up-charge. No use in using new-production tubes in these CLASSIC circuits; they simply don't have the right vibe or soul for what we're going for.

We also are using a proper interstage transformer (this is also omitted in many units), custom, hand-wound Input Transformer made to the original specifications and an AMAZING Carnhill-made recreation of the Peerless S217D Output Transformer!

All the good stuff is there! We're in this for the long-haul! The whole, "tortoise vs. the hare" situation! Low and slow wins the race! Hahaha

We appreciate all of you and thank you, Krešo again, for the GREAT question!

P.S. - the EQP-A will sell for $1099 !
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

These went on sale last night - anyone able to snag one?

I'm hoping for that Black Friday sale - buy a pair of EQPAs and get a free pair of Midrange EQs.

I'm a dreamer!

Last edited by swafford; 10th September 2019 at 09:52 PM..
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Head

Heya... I wanna know if the AudioScape D-COMP can really handle mastering duties well,i want to invest in one Hardware mastering comp.

Thanks.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I got to snag one! Looks like it'll be landing on Thursday!
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
These went on sale last night - anyone able to snag one?

I'm hoping for that Black Friday sale - buy a pair of EQPAs and get a free pair of Midrange EQs.

I'm a dreamer!
That would be QUITE the BLACK FRIDAY STEAL!!! hahahaha, we love it!

@ mattjhuber - you're awesome man!!! So happy you were able to snag one! The OFFICIAL RELEASE went extremely well and again, exceeded our wildest expectations! Sold out within a minute!

Absolutely, without a doubt, extremely humbling. Without question. All of your support means the world to us!

To those who don't know about the EQP-A, check out the product page for more info!
https://www.audio-scape.com/products/eqpa-equalizer

@ Few Knobs - The D-COMP has QUICKLY become a "Swiss-Army Knife" Compressor for many folks. It simply excels at so many sources and in so many capacities.

We have many customers using them in their mastering rigs or on their 2BUSS and honestly, if you're looking for a more colored, dense and "lather of sonic sweetening" added to your masters, the D-COMP will definitely fit the bill!

HOWEVER, and this is simply us being as transparent and as honest as possible, the INPUT, OUTPUT and RELEASE controls are NOT stepped switches (but the remaining controls are), so if you're a stickler for that in your mastering rig than the D-COMP may not be for you.

It does have a LINK switch, which works like an OG rudimentary LINK switch, in that, each channel's amount of compression is simply "LINKED", allowing for equal gain-reduction between both channels (this does not "gang" or match the 1st channels control to the second, so each channel will have to be manually set the same).

I prefer the D-COMP unlinked, as it sounds wider to my ears but as always, YMMV!

But sonically, one of our personal favorite uses for the D-COMP is 2BUSS / Mastering and of course it SHINES on Drum Buss and Parallel Drum Buss if you're into that sort of thing!

There is DEFINITELY a very unique tonality and behavior imparted by the Zener-Diode based compressor topology; it's capable of adding a very unique "point" to any source put through it and the D-COMPs time constants are not only highly interactive but also extremely wide in range.

Allowing for EXTREME punch or absolute transient decimation. Slowing down the Attack will also slow down the release time (without moving the release knob itself!) and vice versa! Couple this with the "MODE" switch (COMP or LIMIT, which will affect the overall speed of Attack/Release as well as the Ratio) and a very powerful, internal SC HPF and you have yourself an EXTREMELY versatile and large "sonic sweet spot" stereo compressor.

Thanks guys, hope this helps!! Any questions, please feel free to ask here or DM us on Instagram (our preferred social platform) and/or Facebook! If socials aren't your thing, you can always email us at: [email protected] or [email protected] with any questions, comments or concerns!

P.S. - We post almost daily "INVENTORY UPDATES" to our Instagram and FB pages letting everyone know what's coming up for sale, what's coming down the pipeline and much, much more. It's definitely the best way to stop on top of what's happening here at AS HQ throughout each week

We appreciate all of you, can't say it enough!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Easily snagged one of these on the first day of them being available. If you've been waiting with a preorder from someone else and you are in the US - for free shipping, a 2 year warranty and more attention to the original schematic, all at the same price of the one you've been waiting over a year for, you could have had one this week.

Wake The Fvck Up Sheeple!

Last edited by swafford; 3 weeks ago at 09:55 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

These are single channel, correct?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
These are single channel, correct?
This is correct, yes sir! Just like the original

@ swafford - thank you yet AGAIN for the amazingly kind words man. Word of mouth is a HUGE part of our success in the grand scheme of things!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Took ownership of one of these babies yesterday. Looks awesome in my rack. It was listed in stock on their site. I paid for it. They shipped it the next day.

The End.

Some initial thoughts based around running the untreated Sweetwater drum samples and level matching tot the Pulse Pultec copy:

First - an addition to the Pultec thread:
Pultec Shootout with Sound Samples

Second - The boxtone is pleasant and doesn't interfere with anything, it is subtle, but it is real. I like boxtone. I like stuff that has character. I like old stuff. I like new stuff. I love my wife. She puts up with me. Dogs rule.

Third - The bottom on this thing is really solid and dimensional. Maybe not quite as focused on the low end as compared to some of the pricier examples in the Sweetwater shoot out, but IMO (buyers bias included) every bit as dimensional. In comparison, the Warm and KT samples sound blah. You definitely get a thump from them, but in my studio, through the Dynaudio sub, kill me, the AudioScape EQPA balls.

Fourth - The high end is every bit as good as it's more expensive competitors - the cymbal decay is lovely and very unphasey (yes, that is a word.) The less expensive units, in comparison (and the chief reason I got rid of my Warm units) sound like a yard rake on slate. Ugly. You're thankful they have an zero decay, because, really, who wants to listen to that?

Can I complain about that glowing thing that says it's on? Holy crap man, we're still burning coal in Ohio! And no way I can eat a fist full of mushrooms and look at that thing for more than 30 seconds. Wooden Ducky says "get the tape out, my brain is melting!"
Attached Thumbnails
AudioScape EQPA-rack.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Took ownership of one of these babies yesterday. Looks awesome in my rack. It was listed in stock on their site. I paid for it. They shipped it the next day.

The End.

Some initial thoughts based around running the untreated Sweetwater drum samples and level matching tot the Pulse Pultec copy:

First - an addition to the Pultec thread:
Pultec Shootout with Sound Samples

Second - The boxtone is pleasant and doesn't interfere with anything, it is subtle, but it is real. I like boxtone. I like stuff that has character. I like old stuff. I like new stuff. I love my wife. She puts up with me. Dogs rule.

Third - The bottom on this thing is really solid and dimensional. Maybe not quite as focused on the low end as compared to some of the pricier examples in the Sweetwater shoot out, but IMO (buyers bias included) every bit as dimensional. In comparison, the Warm and KT samples sound blah. You definitely get a thump from them, but in my studio, through the Dynaudio sub, kill me, the AudioScape EQPA balls.

Fourth - The high end is every bit as good as it's more expensive competitors - the cymbal decay is lovely and very unphasey (yes, that is a word.) The less expensive units, in comparison (and the chief reason I got rid of my Warm units) sound like a yard rake on slate. Ugly. You're thankful they have an zero decay, because, really, who wants to listen to that?

Can I complain about that glowing thing that says it's on? Holy crap man, we're still burning coal in Ohio! And no way I can eat a fist full of mushrooms and look at that thing for more than 30 seconds. Wooden Ducky says "get the tape out, my brain is melting!"

Your review is AWESOME man and falls in line with all of my own thoughts when I discovered that Sweetwater Pultec shootout just a few days ago!!

We're absolutely ELATED you love the EQP-A as much as we are proud of it! The amount of time we spent in the developmental / prototyping phase(s) were definitely worth it, as always. Many challenges to overcome that are NOT documented out there, especially when compared to an original.

@ swafford - you're the BEST, man!! Thanks again for all of this!

ALSO! Product page is here with more info ;-)
https://www.audio-scape.com/products/eqpa-equalizer
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing @ swafford - looking forward to checking these out
Old 2 weeks ago
Of course RIGHT after falling in love with Pultecs, a very reputable company drops one...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Of course RIGHT after falling in love with Pultecs, a very reputable company drops one...
Man... you know that's how the universe works!!!

Appreciate the kind words and support....! Thanks all...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The upright bass player came over yesterday and we did a bunch of preproduction mic placement tests to see how his sh!tty bass will best be captured. This morning I spent a couple hours listening to his bass captures (bottom, top and direct) through a variety of comps followed by the EQPA. With the STA taking about 10db on double with a fast release and 60hz turned up to about 5-1/2, it was booming! A bit much for this project. The eyebrow raiser turned out to be when I put the Grove Hill Liverpool in front of the EQPA, a slightly more HiFi Mu with faster attack times, with just enough attack to the let bass define itself and enough release to let the song breath, the EQPA left me with a bass bloom that belies the piece of plywood the bass player plucks. Just beautiful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The upright bass player came over yesterday and we did a bunch of preproduction mic placement tests to see how his sh!tty bass will best be captured. This morning I spent a couple hours listening to his bass captures (bottom, top and direct) through a variety of comps followed by the EQPA. With the STA taking about 10db on double with a fast release and 60hz turned up to about 5-1/2, it was booming! A bit much for this project. The eyebrow raiser turned out to be when I put the Grove Hill Liverpool in front of the EQPA, a slightly more HiFi Mu with faster attack times, with just enough attack to the let bass define itself and enough release to let the song breath, the EQPA left me with a bass bloom that belies the piece of plywood the bass player plucks. Just beautiful.
^^ THIS! THIS is why we love - and do - what we do.

So happy to hear the EQP-A is bringing you so much joy!!!

MAY THE SONIC BOUNTY CONTINUE!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search