The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Airwindows Mojo: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

Software Airwindows Mojo: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

TL;DW: Mojo is a biggenator that also works as a loudenator.

Mojo.zip(342k)

Happy accidents! What I was trying to do was add a blend control to Spiral, so I could make a Channel that let you go between the original, 'fatter' sound and the cleaner, more transparent but less fat Spiral sound.

Instead, I got this (and another, complementary plugin to be revealed later). I coded up a refinement to the algorithm, where the 'curve factor' of Spiral got modified by powers of itself, or powers of powers of itself… up to the fourth power, which turned out to sort of have MAGICAL powers, or at least that's how it seemed when I worked out what was happening to my test sine waves.

Mojo's the result. It's a neat little algorithm that doesn't sound anything like Density, or Spiral. Instead, it sounds like concentrated HUGE. Even at no added boost, it makes the sound a lot fatter (much like what was asked: a more refined algorithm that still gets the fatness of Density). But then there's more… when you start slamming it.

Turns out this simple little algorithm, one single transfer function without extra parts or switches or added tricks, soaks up input gain like nothing I've seen.

Understand, it's not 'clean'. It thickens and fattens the sound without any real EQ change, by where it puts the energy and how it rounds off peaks. It's got a weirdly effective way of being able to round stuff off and then turn it into a mostly flat-topped output, like full-on digital clipping style loudness, but with neatly sculpted little curves going in and out of the flat stuff. It's also such a nonintuitive algorithm that I wasn't able to find an ideal spot to just straight clip it… so, like original Spiral, if you push beyond its limits it'll start wavefolding on you (which can be an indication of too much slam). But the sweet spot is unusually wide and forgiving, and it sounds really loud while you explore that maximum limit.

Mojo is an accident, but it's also an obvious 'popular' plugin. Check to see if you're okay with the extreme fattening effect it has, since it does really have a sound and isn't what you'd call clean, even in the absence of extra boost. But if you were already looking for some 'mojo' to be added, this Mojo might be just the type… and, like the original Density algorithm, this one is likely to show up in other plugins as an added saturation element, because it's got a distinct flavor that will help certain plugins do their thing.

If you'd buy Mojo for $50 (perpetual license, lifetime support, plus install it on as many computers as you want and get the source code) you can go and pledge $50 a year at my Patreon. Or, use it anyway. Subscriptions are a big topic of discussion these days, so by acting like you need to stay on MY subscription it helps show that open source is the way of the future, and better than renting DRMed software that can be taken away from you. Airwindows is more future proof than many things because of this choice. Is it worth doing in this way, or do you have to take stuff away from people to force them to pay? We shall see, but I can't help but notice I'm still here and haven't run out of ideas.

Now, I AM running out of ways to make sense of the massive huge open source freely available yours-to-own library. So come hang out on my Monday Q&A livestream and we can talk about possible ways I can assemble 'Airwindows kits' to give people only a small set of the plugins at a time so it's more approachable. You can always go and add anything else out of the library, but it's time to get this juggernaut more approachable for newcomers
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Reminds me of clipping a cassette tape. Very nice
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Chris this is incredible. I'm getting killer sounds on bass percussion and drums. I'm talking sounds I've never heard before, distortion timbres that I am surprised haven't been covered by another plugin in my arsenal.

I'm actually doing a rough mix on a song idea right now. I just have Mojo on every track, no other processing. Was able to give each track it's own unique character and vibe, get the dynamic range under control, increase loudness, you name it. Not sure how you built such a swiss army knife with a single knob (or slider) but this is excellent.

Of course, and this may go without saying now, this unit sounds best with input and output gain controls and a wet dry. Add an EQ, and you could use this as a sort of chainsaw channel strip that handles saturation, limiting, tone and compression in it's own unique ways. Really good stuff Chris.

I'm sitting here still grooving to this test song. Man the percussion has what I would describe as a harsh and aggressive overdrive and saturation, but the sound is not harsh at all to my ears. Very smooth! Unbelievable too...

Last edited by overdriiive; 3 weeks ago at 02:38 AM.. Reason: I can't spell
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

what an incomparably interesting sound. "mojo" is right.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Understand, it's not 'clean'.
Is there a processor whos clean AND "big/loud/phat" ?

All these traits come from some kind of distortion, isnt it like that ?

Im waiting to get back home and try it !
[I wonder how would it pair with BlockParty... Me thinks, as they say : "It might get loud"]

AW enables one to assemble mighty chains without needing to resort to magic words [abbey-road, beatles, pink-floyd, sought-after, old, coveted, etc. etc. ]

Quote:
Mojo is an accident
An alternative name for this plug could be "Hapcci" [Happy accident]
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLov3r View Post
Im waiting to get back home and try it !
[I wonder how would it pair with BlockParty... Me thinks, as they say : "It might get loud"
Just as I thought... Pairing the two yields extreme [on the verge of absurd] GR values [should one want or need it]
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

I have a bugfix coming, the VST is supposed to be in dB
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

and y'all can watch the live bugfixing here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9-h9ElZEU
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

Software

And here is the bugfix Mojo.zip Bugfix!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Chris
Putting two 3dB Mojos is the same as one with 6dB ?
To me, it FEELS like its more substential [the two 3 dBs vs one 6dB]
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Awesome, thank you! My new fav AW plugin.

Last edited by man in the house; 3 weeks ago at 08:54 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLov3r View Post
Chris
Putting two 3dB Mojos is the same as one with 6dB ?
To me, it FEELS like its more substential [the two 3 dBs vs one 6dB]
Oh no no, definitely not! Several in series is not at all the same as just one with equivalent gain. Put them in series if you want, the algorithm is pretty much as clean as Spiral and it shouldn't hurt to go through several instances. I wouldn't, but you totally can if you like
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I wouldn't, but you totally can if you like
Care to explain why wouldn't you use multiple Mojos ?
Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Very cool sounding one !
I'm hardly missing gain compensation knob though, to stage saturation and dim output correspondingly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Very cool sounding one !
I'm hardly missing gain compensation knob though, to stage saturation and dim output correspondingly.
Its just proof of a concept. There will be othet tools coming, with everything we need [inc. Coffee maker and weed generator - for enhanced creativity] :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Oh what a treat, I'm just getting back from vacation in California & I can't wait to check this Mojo out! I've been reading all the posts about Mojo- I can't frickin wait to try this bad baby out!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Jeez man Mojo rocks! I tried it out on a bunch of things and it sounds good on everything. I messed around with it enough to know that this is easily gonna be one of my fav plugs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Oh whoops, I accidentally bumped this thread up- please excuse me ...mojo though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

The nice thing is that this can serve as a building block for other plugins, much like the original Density found a place in plugins like Iron Oxide and ToTape
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The nice thing is that this can serve as a building block for other plugins, much like the original Density found a place in plugins like Iron Oxide and ToTape
Wasnt that ALWAYS the case ? [ ie. you discover a new way of doing stuff, then apply it to all appropriate plugs]

BTW im still waiting to hear what are the caveats in multi-instanciating Mojo.

Trying to stay in the free realm, I instanciated 3 Mojos [in series], each with 0.5dB of gain, and slammed them against LoudMax [needed the GR meter...]
The result is creamy indeed [with my type of material].

What amazes me is how the spatial intergity is kept with AW proceesors. One cant say that with a LOT of processors [even high-end ones].
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

MusicLov3r- "What amazes me is how the spatial intergity is kept with AW proceesors. One cant say that with a LOT of processors [even high-end ones]." Yeah and each Airwindows plug sounds totally original which is sweet cause usually plugin companies r trying to emulate the sound of a piece of analog gear that was from a certain era, but Airwindows is constantly reinventing...on a weekly basis. Straight up- in the last 2 months Chris from Airwindows just released a ton of plugins that enhanced my sound & creativity. It's weird to think about but there r big plugin companies who have a ton of brainiacs working hard to put out the next Neve preamp emulation but in my opinion they're leagues behind 1 man- Chris from Airwindows.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam A View Post
Yeah and each Airwindows plug sounds totally original which is sweet cause usually plugin companies r trying to emulate the sound of a piece of analog gear that was from a certain era, but Airwindows is constantly reinventing...on a weekly basis. Straight up- in the last 2 months Chris from Airwindows just released a ton of plugins that enhanced my sound & creativity. It's weird to think about but there r big plugin companies who have a ton of brainiacs working hard to put out the next Neve preamp emulation but in my opinion they're leagues behind 1 man- Chris from Airwindows.
Just to be fair:
There are TONS of freakingly good plugs out there.

To continue Chris' theme [no one sees your mix] I can't understand the emulation thingy... Ah mean, who the hell knows how this-and-that equipment from this-and-that studio sounded like ??
I mean come on... To me my only criterion is aural aesthetics. Most of Chris' plug are but some are not [for my type of music. Mind you, one of Kush Audio plugs also didn't fit my needs].

I just wish Chris to reach the 2000 mark, then he'll go back to his average monthly income Kagi days...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The actual gear used becomes less and less significant as you get further and further down the chain, away from the person playing the instrument.

Changing guitar, Amp, mic, or any combo of those will go so much further than whichever "preamp" you use for colour.

Also, arranging IS mixing.

That said, I absolutely agree that the beauty of Airwindows is that you get the effect, while honoring the source fidelity, always.

In fact many AW plugins can go some ways to Increase perceived fidelity
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
In fact many AW plugins can go some ways to Increase perceived fidelity
Do tell!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I absolutely agree that the beauty of Airwindows is that you get the effect, while honoring the source fidelity, always.
And spatial integrity. Ive came to REALLY appreciate AW' mathematical summing mechanism [or whatever it is called] whilst NOT resorting to OS.

Quote:
in fact many AW plugins can go some ways to Increase perceived fidelity
Fidelity, like DR, is an artistic choice. Not just a simple property. Not anymore [imo]. One can flip the frequency range on its head, should he wish. The question is not wether it is technically viable, but does it fit the aesthetic bounderies of your chosen production ganre.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony Sid View Post
Do tell!
Righteous, Ditherbox, StudioTan/NJAD, Purest Console, uLaw, the gain plugins, the whole Dither-to-float concept... Acceleration!

Also agreed with @ MusicLov3r that fidelity is an artistic choice. Plenty of Airwindows processors cover the grungier end of things...
Old 3 weeks ago
This thing sounds impressively great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
and y'all can watch the live bugfixing here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9-h9ElZEU
He starts fixing it around 1:36.

Chris:

You should add a screen capture to your live streams. There is a way to send the screen of one computer to the other (live streaming computer), as well... but I forget what it was. I can ask #SpaceyBlurr , if you like.
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
You should add a screen capture to your live streams. There is a way to send the screen of one computer to the other (live streaming computer), as well... but I forget what it was. I can ask #SpaceyBlurr , if you like.
Yes, please: it would have to be able to send a Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 screen. I'm thinking of trying to run a second camera. Another concern is that my computers aren't really capable of streaming anything complicated, not yet. If I'm able to get better computers you'll see more interesting streaming stuff
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
OMG, this plugin sounds great! I’m not even sure how to describe what it does. It’s like a clean dirty saturation. Or something.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search