The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Tried it, even though the concept sounded like a gimmick to me. But after trying it, it sounds pretty amazing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Snake oil?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I can get you some. 60 bucks for 10 ml.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall View Post
Snake oil?
I'd call it audio voodoo...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Have you guys tried it?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I've been using Can Opener for a good bit with lots of success. Looking forward for my hardware nx piece to arrive so I can compare the experiences. Will report back.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OK, so if I DONT have one of the headphones they have a curve for .....does that mean I need to buy a pair that's on the list for this to work well? I'm using Ultrasones...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Playing around with the demo now. I happen to have the AT headphones that are one of the options and toggling that source headphone setting on and off makes a big difference. I think it sounds really good and when I A/B the bypass it definitely changes the sound to compensate for the "right in your ear" sound you get from just the headphones. The spatial qualities you hear in the simulated room brought some stuff out I never heard before. The opening vocoder to Taylor Swift's 'Delicate' had me hearing things in the delay I didn't quite notice before. I know the veterans here are ****ting on it any which way they can, but for people that have home studios that have to use headphones more than they'd like to for mixing, I don't see anything wrong with another tool in the arsenal for reference points. If it helps me mix better, which I will soon find out, who cares? Not all of us have well treated rooms and multiple high end monitors. Are all the people calling it snake oil because it uses emulation only using outboard tube gear? No.. they are using plug-ins to emulate all this vintage gear so why not this to help when having to mix with headphones?

For $99 I'm going to spring for it and only time will tell, I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I tried the demo. I was using the Sennheiser 280 Pro headphones and the near setting mostly to compare to my monitors KRK Rokit 4s. I'll admit I took my headphones off because I thought they were coming out my monitors! It does a pretty good emulation of monitors but after awhile I wanted to hear the real deal so I went back to listening on my Rokit 4s. I could imagine people using this for the mastering stage to get a few different perspectives on the sound. For mixing I still think people should stick to their trusted monitors. If people want to buy this and use as the only way they mix and master I guess that is up to them. I can't say how closely this replicates Abbey Road Studio 3 because I haven't been there. This is no doubt a fun product but I won't be buying it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Interesting idea...

I’m honestly waiting for late model cars to be modeled so I don’t have to run out to the garage and car check stuff lol

I LOL, but, seriously, that sh|t would be really cool
I guess that’s sort of what audified mixchecker aspires to do, albeit without the room ambience and head tracking
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
And how is CPU?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnarps View Post
Playing around with the demo now. I happen to have the AT headphones that are one of the options and toggling that source headphone setting on and off makes a big difference. I think it sounds really good and when I A/B the bypass it definitely changes the sound to compensate for the "right in your ear" sound you get from just the headphones. The spatial qualities you hear in the simulated room brought some stuff out I never heard before. The opening vocoder to Taylor Swift's 'Delicate' had me hearing things in the delay I didn't quite notice before. I know the veterans here are ****ting on it any which way they can, but for people that have home studios that have to use headphones more than they'd like to for mixing, I don't see anything wrong with another tool in the arsenal for reference points. If it helps me mix better, which I will soon find out, who cares? Not all of us have well treated rooms and multiple high end monitors. Are all the people calling it snake oil because it uses emulation only using outboard tube gear? No.. they are using plug-ins to emulate all this vintage gear so why not this to help when having to mix with headphones?

I'd recommend just getting a good pair of open back headphones (most German companies do a great job). Then just get really accustomed to their sound. That's really the best route you can go. Get Canopener if you want to emulate the crosstalk you get from monitors.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

OK I wanted to demo it before I shot my mouth off about it any more.

It's nice. It's fine. If you buy into the NX thing (which I do - it solves a problem headphones do have, which is not the lack of "phantom center," but of being forced to encounter the variation in phase and frequency you get naturally from sitting in a room in front of monitors and not being a statue), then it's like buying a leather cover for your steering wheel. It doesn't add any fundamentally new functionality that NX didn't itself have. It adds "classy" and more variation I suppose.

I think the sane, non-hyped way to think about it is as an NX expansion pack, or "NX v.2." Nothing wrong with that for those periods when you're stuck on phones.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Why do people bring up Sonarworks in his thread?

Isn't the point of this plugin to reproduce frequencies (probably not flat) of respectable speakers together with a little bit of room effects?

This plugin : non flat + a tiny bit of 3D reverb?

I won't be able to try for a while but very interested. I also have HD600
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
Why do people bring up Sonarworks in his thread?
Because this product also uses profiles of headphones to 'correct' the curve of your cans in order for their room emulation / IR / whatever to come across consistently regardless of user.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

2 tracks really stand out that I've tested in this virtual emu are 'Bring Me To Life' by Evanescence and 'If I die young' by the Band Perry. 'Everlong' by the Foo Fighters on the other hand makes me think 'close enough for rock and roll!'
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just started to DEMO this [curiosity].

A bit disappointed that the Senn 650 is not in the headphone choice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What a childish idea of a plugin .. Properly this is the most snake oil of 2019.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I did use the original NX for 5.1 emulation, as my studio is 2.0 only.
It helped me to get the volume of the surround monitors in the ballpark.

On a pure listening experience though, it felt irritating and I didn't really feel beeing in a room with speakers around me.

Maybe this is better in stereo and with advanced techniques, but hard to imagine that it'll sound completely different to the original version which already supposed to be a good sounding room. Will give it a fair shot though before commenting.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

NX was not for me. This might not be too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Listening now and I'm fascinated.
Luckily, there is a preset for my humble Sony headphones.
I've been checking out my recent mixes and some faves from the greats.

For me, it changes the whole headphone paradigm.
Instead of the "direct in to my head injection", I get the audio image of listening to speakers.

Is this good, bad or ugly?

Is it a Miracle Potion or the dreaded Snake Oil?

I'd lean towards it being a good thing, but with major caveats.
Certainly not the miracle of mixing in the modeled Abbey Road studio.
In fact, in the mixing realm, it might just add another element of uncertainty.
At this point, I'd never consider just mixing through this plugin on headphones with no other reference.

That said, this thing is pretty cool.
I'm enjoying the concept.
At very least, it provides another way to check mixes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4R10 View Post
My first reaction was "A dynamic room modeling plugin like UAD's Ocean Way Studios with all the vintage mics and everything...?! Yes!!!", cos I thought that they modeled the Abbey Road Studio 2.

I guess my hopes were so high that it affected my reading capabilites and I was seeing things for a second.
I love UAD's Ocean Way plugin - really well made, very flexible/intuitive and sounds really good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anything that helps someone stuck in a headphone-only situation is A Very Good Thing.

Using headphones, earbuds or canal phones is very personal, like speakers. Some people are more discombobulated by forced binary listening than others, so if those people like simulated speaker+room (and/or simulated HRTF), what's not to like? Whether it's a strictly accurate 100% simulation doesn't matter if users get results they like.

Additionally, the difference in sound between various types of headphone can be very dramatic, particularly closed vs open, but also depending upon the matching of headphone to amplifier. Linear EQ wont make a closed headphone sound the same as an open headphone.

Personally I look at the console surface and other reflective surfaces in the Abbey Road room and think "maybe this plugin is not for me". I don't do surround in my work either. But I can see why the plugin exists and the value it offers - if it suited my workflows I'd give it a thorough workout before making any judgement.

Last edited by diggo; 1 week ago at 11:42 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
OK, so if I DONT have one of the headphones they have a curve for .....does that mean I need to buy a pair that's on the list for this to work well? I'm using Ultrasones...
I'd actually say no, on the premise that it's not any particular likeness to Abbey Road (beyond it being a "nice" -i.e., acceptably flat - room) that's the functional thing here; it's the variation in phase, freq & monitor emulations you'll get in your headphones, which would otherwise be stuck in amber. The advantage is dealing with representative averages instead of fixed values. High end Ultrasones will get you good frequency range and you're presumably used to how they sound on good mixes in terms of freq curve; that should be fine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnarps View Post

You lost me at Taylor Swift...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony Sid View Post
You lost me at Taylor Swift...
Open your mind a bit. The sound quality of that record is phenomenal, as are the production techniques.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just gave this a spin. I must say i was pretty skeptical going in. I also was an early biter and quick dumper of NX.

So i will say its not horrible on the CPU, hell i got it to run on a older i3 with only taking about 10% of the cpu (which is good all things considered for that machine on a modern plugin).

I also found it worked really well with the low to low mids of the mix. Really points out the problems that you can't hear in headphones.

It also seems that having a pair of identified headphones is key. I have both the Sonys and a pair of Senn 280 HDs and using calibration really got both of them to the same sonic place. With out calibration it was noticeably different. Anyone considering this plug should use a pair of cans that Waves have created a calibration for.

Still haven't made my mind up on this but i will say its helpful. I can't see any negatives in using this in situations where you only have headphones working on tracks that weren't perfectly recorded. You will hear the issues in the lows and low mids that headphones wont really be noticeable.
Old 1 week ago
I started a demo of this last night. Only got to use it about an hour, but my first impression is it's interesting enough to give it a fair shake. After using it a few days I may decide against or in favor of a purchase. The jury is still out. But it *does* seem interesting enough to give it a chance. If it offers a unique perspective to help mix, I'll be all for it. I prefer the near field and wall mount speaker modes, so far. The floor standing speakers may grow on me, though. I have no idea how much this may or may not sound like the Abbey Road room, but that's not the point, for me at least. I'm just looking for every mixing advantage my extremely-meager wallet can afford.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Studio 3

One of the things I noticed is resonance. Then I realized it was possibly amplifying a frequency in my studio, somewhere around 200 hz, or an incorrect headphone match. Maybe this thing can be used to correct resonances on tracks (to an extent). I mean, if it Does what it says, yeah.

I have 3 sets of cans, and find it unusual that the AKG K240 Studio phones aren't on the list.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I did a quick mix with the new Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin.

https://soundcloud.com/user-blackbac...tudio-3-test-1

It was weird at first but the result was not bad for the first attempt. Plus I forgot to measure my head!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search