The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia releases T-RackS Tape Machine Collection for T-RackS 5
Old 4 weeks ago
  #301
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Again, your comments on the reels have been relayed to the developers. Seems like the dino all over again. Well, at least in this case there's also talk about how these actually sound to accompany the two sides of the visual item causing such controversy.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #302
Lives for gear
 
wjmwpg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Again, your comments on the reels have been relayed to the developers. Seems like the dino all over again. Well, at least in this case there's also talk about how these actually sound to accompany the two sides of the visual item causing such controversy.
Thanks Peter - it is appreciated. These do sound fantastic and I think IK deserve to be lauded for this development. If they sucked i would ignore them completely and wouldn’t bother posting my opinions about what I believe could make them even better. From what I’ve seen, heard and read over the years every instance of IK listening to its customer base has made the products better every time. So again, thanks for listening to the din of the gallery.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #303
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I think this might be my favorite top end I've heard in the computer. Pretty crazy.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #304
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Again, your comments on the reels have been relayed to the developers. Seems like the dino all over again. Well, at least in this case there's also talk about how these actually sound to accompany the two sides of the visual item causing such controversy.
So progress!

Personally, I don't mind the reels. I think the bigger GUI issues that have been buried in the discussion are the difficult to read adjustment screws. Unless you were trying to simulate the joy of biasing the hardware before a session.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #305
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
You can install on multiple computers but cannot use them simultaneously (for example, studio PC for work in the studio + laptop for traveling or similar).
What about a scenario when you have two machines one for mixing and one for mastering and you run them side by side? E.g I bounce the mix to a network drive and then load it on another PC to already opened project?
That seems quite limiting.
Closing and opening projects just wastes a lot of time.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #306
Gear Addict
 

The ajustment screws could be detachable from the GUI.Click on the panel and open a larger window with the screws for the sake of a better view.Congrats to IK!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #307
Lives for gear
 
wjmwpg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbridenbaker View Post
Zooming in shows that the zero-crossing points are not contemporaneous.

Note that the initial part of the waveform is synchronized and in polarity:

Could that be because the first part of the waveform falls in a different frequency range that isn’t getting flipped?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #308
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
What about a scenario when you have two machines one for mixing and one for mastering and you run them side by side? E.g I bounce the mix to a network drive and then load it on another PC to already opened project?
That seems quite limiting.
Closing and opening projects just wastes a lot of time.
Well that may appear technically against the IK EULA (and honestly this type of limitation is not unique to IK nor uncommon, people just ignore it most likely with regard to using plugins simultaneously) when you interpret what I said but note I said (and the EULA linked previously says) "used"... But in your scenario are you USING them simultaneously? You are the only one mixing and mastering, unless you are talented and have 4 ears, arms, etc, you probably aren't truly using them simultaneously. Note the EULA states " the program(s) shall NOT be used simultaneously on more than one machine" so used would be the key word here. I think you have a case for the fact that you're using one at a time even if you don't shut down and they're running simultaneously. If that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Thanks Peter - it is appreciated. These do sound fantastic and I think IK deserve to be lauded for this development. If they sucked i would ignore them completely and wouldn’t bother posting my opinions about what I believe could make them even better. From what I’ve seen, heard and read over the years every instance of IK listening to its customer base has made the products better every time. So again, thanks for listening to the din of the gallery.
Sorry I was really just being cheeky about some of that, forgot that not everybody was part of all the dino scandal/controversy and wouldn't know I was mostly being cheeky - except where I certainly have relayed these comments and requests which I surely have.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #309
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
But in your scenario are you USING them simultaneously? You are the only one mixing and mastering, unless you are talented and have 4 ears, arms, etc, you probably aren't truly using them simultaneously. Note the EULA states " the program(s) shall NOT be used simultaneously on more than one machine" so used would be the key word here. I think you have a case for the fact that you're using one at a time even if you don't shut down and they're running simultaneously. If that makes sense.
Technically that would be using them simultaneously when both projects are opened, because the audio would be processed in real-time.

For example Ableton allows having two instances running and many developers provide two or more licenses for a single user.

I am currently not doing this but I am thinking about it as I waste a lot of time switching between sessions and I have a spare PC not doing anything.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #310
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Technically that would be using them simultaneously when both projects are opened, because the audio would be processed in real-time.

For example Ableton allows having two instances running and many developers provide two or more licenses for a single user.

I am currently not doing this but I am thinking about it as I waste a lot of time switching between sessions and I have a spare PC not doing anything.
You said "bounce the mix to a network drive and then load it on another PC to already opened project". I feel I gave you an out in this use case since you aren't truly using the plugins simultaneously from what I understood you were saying.

Also, we do provide 10 authorizations.

Anyway, if you feel like my answer wasn't clear or correct and want official technical assistance with this matter (and I'm pretty sure they'll also be OK with this scenario) you can consult them via this link
Old 4 weeks ago
  #311
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Again, your comments on the reels have been relayed to the developers. Seems like the dino all over again. Well, at least in this case there's also talk about how these actually sound to accompany the two sides of the visual item causing such controversy.
Unlike the Dino, this is actually a question of usability. Removing the unnecessary graphics would give much more room for properly easy to tweak knobs.

The incredibly important bias controls are just silly tiny. It's really puzzling why you guys left them so tiny when they have such a huge impact on the sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #312
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
You said "bounce the mix to a network drive and then load it on another PC to already opened project". I feel I gave you an out in this use case since you aren't truly using the plugins simultaneously from what I understood you were saying.

Also, we do provide 10 authorizations.

Anyway, if you feel like my answer wasn't clear or correct and want official technical assistance with this matter (and I'm pretty sure they'll also be OK with this scenario) you can consult them via this link
Ok I understand now. I don't have four hands
Old 4 weeks ago
  #313
Lives for gear
 
Raddler's Avatar
Any opinions on which of the 4 decks people are liking more and why? I'm really enjoying the 24 for more of an obvious tape effect/ colouration. The 440 seems to work well on the master with a tiny bit more drive.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #314
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Could that be because the first part of the waveform falls in a different frequency range that isn’t getting flipped?
That's exactly why.

Last edited by ericbridenbaker; 4 weeks ago at 08:48 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #315
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Ok I understand now. I don't have four hands
Liar!!! Ha. Just kidding, of course. But you would certainly do well if you did - not likely from audio tasks as you'd also need a very capable and advanced brain to process the simultaneous infomation.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Again, your comments on the reels have been relayed to the developers. Seems like the dino all over again. Well, at least in this case there's also talk about how these actually sound to accompany the two sides of the visual item causing such controversy.
Please can we have the Dino spinning around on the reels?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #317
Here for the gear
 

If you keep the reels, at least add a cutting block on the Revox, like the old days.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #318
Lives for gear
 

All the comments about GUI and reels i mean gimme a break

It's a sound processing plugin. You set it up and you are done. No one is forcing anyone to look and stare at reels whole day. They distract you? Wow. If that distract you then how are you watching anything on the screen at all. How do you work with cursor then which is far more skippy or DAW meters..

Is it so hard to tweak a knob and then "listen" with your ear what is happening?

On top of that this plugins sounds amazing yet people are bitchin about completely useless subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Again, your comments on the reels have been relayed to the developers. Seems like the dino all over again. Well, at least in this case there's also talk about how these actually sound to accompany the two sides of the visual item causing such controversy.
Peter from IK - while you are at relaying to your developers tell them this: No it is not Dino thing at all. Some people like current IK Tape as is and they don't have any problem with spinning reels. If they are about to make reels stopped or removed tell them to make changes optional. So people can leave it as is.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #319
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
All the comments about GUI and reels i mean gimme a break

It's a sound processing plugin. You set it up and you are done. No one is forcing anyone to look and stare at reels whole day. They distract you? Wow. If that distract you then how are you watching anything on the screen at all. How do you work with cursor then which is far more skippy or DAW meters..

Is it so hard to tweak a knob and then "listen" with your ear what is happening?

On top of that this plugins sounds amazing yet people are bitchin about completely useless subject



Peter from IK - while you are at relaying to your developers tell them this: No it is not Dino thing at all. Some people like current IK Tape as is and they don't have any problem with spinning reels. If they are about to make reels stopped or removed tell them to make changes optional. So people can leave it as is.

Saying the comments about gui is uselless , is actually useless ... saying the repetition of comments about this while Peter said it has been relayed , is another thing ..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #320
Lives for gear
Definitely optional! If there is a lot of spare CPU in the session I'd rather have them spinning - only hide them when there is a problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #321
Brb
Gear Addict
 
Brb's Avatar
 

Bring back the Dino. This thing is a t-rex (in a good way)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #322
Lives for gear
Resizing works here, and I didn't pay any extra. Just bought the Tape Collection, nothing else.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #323
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
On top of that this plugins sounds amazing yet people are bitchin about completely useless subject
The plugins do sound great. The GUI doesn't bug me at all, as I posted earlier, this can be switched of in Reaper.

But calling this a "completely useless subject" ignores the personal experience of members here and proven research into visual stimulation influencing auditory perception.

An immensely useful subject as it pertains to audio production.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #324
Lives for gear
 
Kyle Ashley's Avatar
 

Purchased the entire tape machines kit. they sound great. however, I still can't figure out this re-sizing thing. I saw a youtube demo video where the user just dragged the lower right hand corner to size. None of my T-Racks plugs offer that ability. How do you RE-SIZE these things??

**update**

I upgraded to 5 Max - did a restore gear and now all standalone plugs are re-sizable. Really useful on certain plugs and the tape machines look great maxed out to fill my entire 32" monitor! No little bias screws now.

Last edited by Kyle Ashley; 4 weeks ago at 12:06 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #325
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Resizing works here, and I didn't pay any extra. Just bought the Tape Collection, nothing else.
Do you already own T-Racks5? Peter already confirmed in the KVR thread that the resizing is for T-Racks5 owners, which has been true for the other T-Racks singles to date.

Not asking to start an argument or flame war, just really curious if something changed. I just got T-Racks5 last month at a huge discount, solely for the resizing. The Vari-Mu was just a nice bonus.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #326
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Oh what the heck! Just bought the collection

Couldn't resist the vibe of these things
Old 4 weeks ago
  #327
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

There is more than just resizing for those who have T-RackS 5, T-RackS 5 Deluxe, or T-RackS 5 MAX. Please see the T-RackS 5 CS page for more information under "What's New".
Old 4 weeks ago
  #328
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Oh what the heck! Just bought the collection

Couldn't resist the vibe of these things
same

Edit, the different tape formulas are REALLY different. Like the whole feel and extension of the top end. That I have not heard before.

Last edited by thermos; 4 weeks ago at 12:17 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #329
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Note that there isn't a high likelihood of a HUGE decrease in CPU usage due to the reasons above and earlier in the thread.
If I understood correctly, a large part of the CPU usage comes from simulating the distortions and the bias signal with minimal aliasing.

It would be really cool if there was a way to use the plugin with cleaner settings (and less CPU hit) when you're more after the subtle widening and the frequency response.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #330
Gear Maniac
 
Amroth's Avatar
If I was in charge of IK, I would add a giant chrome T-Rex head chasing the jeep from Jurassic Park, but with spinning tape reels instead of wheels.

You can turn the graphics off but then the plugin would downsample the internal processing to 44.1khz. All or nothing, baby
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump