The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slick 9k Mk2 - Cupwise Nebula compressor
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Software Slick 9k Mk2 - Cupwise Nebula compressor

In a sense this is an updated version of my 7yr old Slick 9k compressor, but it's actually a new product and was rebuilt from the ground up. The programming side of it is all new, and the impulses were rebuilt from the original tone sweeps, and re-edited (so the vectors are new too).

Max has made some really nice skins for both N3 and N4. Thanks max!!

Here's a link to the page (where you can glimpse the new skin, as well as see info about the compressor).

If you bought part A or B, or both, of the old library, you should be getting an email with an offer for an upgrade path. If you didn't get it, contact me through my contact form or directly by email.
Here are all of the major improvements in this product, over the old one:

*skins were graciously provided by Max, for both N3 and N4!!!

*everything (programs AND vectors) was re-built from the ground up. i went back to the original recorded tone sweeps (to re-render the impulses), and attack/release samples, and started over from there.

*this allowed me to hand edit every impulse, for maximum quality control, including throwing out impulses that were ‘below the noise floor’ (such as low input drive impulses for the upper harmonic orders). this brings down the total sample count without sacrificing anything. editing the impulses prevents lots of glitchy behavior.

*programs use the same basic setup as my other more recent compressors, which provides a more accurate attack (with fast settings), and removes the artifacts you could get with bassy inputs in the old programs.

*combined hard and soft knee into one release. originally they were split and sold separately. now it’s all one compressor release.

*hard knee uses peak mode while soft knee uses RMS. in the old versions, both used peak.

*added a ‘knee select’ program that allows you to transition between hard and soft knees and get settings in between. this also transitions between the peak and RMS modes, not just hard and soft knee, so it can be pretty interesting to blend between the two extremes.

*harmonics have been hugely improved, with their levels being much more accurate to the hardware (this took a lot of work).

*attack and release have been completely redone. both are far more accurate. the improved attack is probably most instantly noticeable, but the release now has some program dependence. the release timing actually adjusts depending on how much compression you’re getting. the old versions were made before i had figured out how to do this and did not have that behavior programmed in.

*got rid of all the extra versions of the programs that were in the old version. i’m talking about the ones that used various combinations of detector types and feedback amounts. those probably really just added clutter and weren’t used by most people very often. also i couldn’t test each of those programs and some of them probably behaved in strange ways. also got rid of the external sidechain programs since nebula quit allowing that at some point.

*replaced 1k, 5k, and 10k options with my lite, standard, full harmonic, and SHQ options. check out the manual to see what the differences are.

*the crappy ‘dry’ control was replaced with a ‘wet’ control. the dry control just added some dry signal in, which wasn’t very good because it would also increase the output level. the wet control actually transitions between fully dry and fully wet.

*look-ahead max setting lowered to 1.5 ms which is more than enough for instant peak limiting now that the programs are using the updated setups.

*these compressors are just so much better now, in probably every possible way. there may be other smaller changes that i’ve just forgotten to mention. everything is completely new
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

A classic just got better? Excited to try it out!
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

This is amazing update i am fan of your compressor libraries. Can't wait to hear them.

Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

I didn’t get an email.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I didn’t get an email.
ok. a bunch of the emails bounced, possibly because of sales being several years old, maybe people aren't using those same emails anymore, so maybe that's why? can you contact me through the form at my site so i can get you sorted?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

anyone interested in the library should check out max's video here! he put a lot of work into it! thanks for the video, and the skins max!

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Great work Tim, excellent compressor, great action. I think it's greatly improved compared to V1 (I had just the soft knee version of the V1).

Sorry for the noob question, I'm sure you have been asked this many times, but is there a way to use it in dual mono on a daw (Reaper, Cubase) ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

well, you obviously mean can you do that with one instance, and the answer to that is no. but of course you could use two instances and some routing to do it, but i'm sure you already knew that. but yeah, not possible within one instance. and actually i've never been asked that! would be cool though, for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I kept my word and just purchased.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I kept my word and just purchased.
i just hope you're happy with it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Interested to see how this compares to Sand 2 comp
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Purchased, great stuff!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Brilliant video - comp sounds great too. Now just need to decide whether to get the 9k or 4k. I know I'll end up with both at some point
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Brilliant video - comp sounds great too. Now just need to decide whether to get the 9k or 4k. I know I'll end up with both at some point
Thanks! I'm happy it fulfills the mission to showcase them properly in full potential.
And yes, both essential! )))
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
Interested to see how this compares to Sand 2 comp
Inappropriate comparison. Sand is 4K, this is 9K (retro characterful vs clean modern).
Moreover IMO they are from different leagues, especially when it comes to heavy compression.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Thanks! I'm happy it fulfills the mission to showcase them properly in full potential.
And yes, both essential! )))
Well, I've just 'secretly' bought the 9k - just off to give it a go now! Thanks for twisting my arm
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Loving this compressor on channels for just about everything so far, especially on percussive elements. I’ve tried or own every algorithmic alternative and this blows them away....

One question - I’d love to know which attack settings relate to the hardware in terms of fast and normal attack?
I’ll probably resort to those as defaults and tweak from there if necessary. I have a feeling the default programs are set at the ‘fast’ attack setting?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've just got this and have to say it sounds very nice indeed. Was lacking an SSL style comp and I think this is a very nice example.

Also thanks for the detailed instruction on how to use the skins, my first time trying that and it was pretty easy to set up. The GUI looks good, the knobs are a little hard to control, but I use reaper and just switch the UI off and do fine tuning that way.

SHQ render read an hour estimated time! I wonder if it's worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
I've just got this and have to say it sounds very nice indeed. Was lacking an SSL style comp and I think this is a very nice example.

Also thanks for the detailed instruction on how to use the skins, my first time trying that and it was pretty easy to set up. The GUI looks good, the knobs are a little hard to control, but I use reaper and just switch the UI off and do fine tuning that way.

SHQ render read an hour estimated time! I wonder if it's worth it.
Keep the normal version while you work and activate SHQ when you export
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Keep the normal version while you work and activate SHQ when you export
Yeah sure, but are you getting one hour estimated export times? It's like 0.1X realtime. Got an oldish 2013 Macbook Pro which explains it no doubt.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
the knobs are a little hard to control
Just use <KNOBCONTROL> 2 </KNOBCONTROL> in Nebula XML, hope it helps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
I'm suprise how much crack/knock the 9k has. I'm in the same boat as u. Figured 4k was the character comp.
On a side note. Good to see my boy Tim get some attention on here. He really deserves it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Very interesting compressor.
Windows only ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Music View Post
Very interesting compressor.
Windows only ?
Acustica Audio Nebula 3 or 4 (full) only..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I noticed something peculiar today but using the hard-soft 44k Nebula 3 skin and makeup gain adds more compression the more you gain compensate!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I noticed something peculiar today but using the hard-soft 44k Nebula 3 skin and makeup gain adds more compression the more you gain compensate!
ah very observant! this is because this compressor (and 4k crush) is using feedback in the detection path. it can be hard to find info about the target compressors when i'm 'programming' these, but in my 'research' somewhere i found that the hardware compressors were apparently using feedback detectors.

so the output level is what is being compared against the threshold setting. so if you boost the output, you're increasing the level before threshold, and it can lead to more compression.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise View Post
ah very observant! this is because this compressor (and 4k crush) is using feedback in the detection path...
Oh good, I'm not going mad then

That seems a rather counter intuitive feature of design, but then I just twist the knobs till I like what I hear or not. Fortunately with this beast more compression isn't a bad thing most times.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh good, I'm not going mad then

That seems a rather counter intuitive feature of design, but then I just twist the knobs till I like what I hear or not. Fortunately with this beast more compression isn't a bad thing most times.
it may be, but it's not an issue with my design. that's how nebula is hard-wired. i can't do anything about it. any feedback based compressor in nebula will work that way. the output control is in the feedback path of the detector.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search