The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Audio introduces Orion 32 HD | Gen3 Flagship AD/DA Converter Digital Converters
Old 12th April 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Antelope Audio's Avatar
Antelope Audio introduces Orion 32 HD | Gen3 Flagship AD/DA Converter

Antelope Audio is proud to speedily follow up on last month’s Orion 32+ | Gen 3 availability announcement by introducing its showpiece sibling - Orion 32HD | Gen 3

This third-generation Orion 32 HD, sets new standards in the pro audio industry by virtue of Antelope Audio’s acclaimed AD/DA being boosted to reach an astonishing 136dB of dynamic range! Like its innovative predecessors, Orion 32HD | Gen 3 is also an amazingly versatile audio interface.



Here's a short overview of all features and improvements:
  • Phenomenal 136dB of dynamic range (measured at Monitor Outputs)
  • Proprietary FPGA FX platform for real-time effects processing
  • 64 channels of inputs and outputs on 24-bit, 192 kHz audio via USB 3.0
  • Renowned 64-bit AFC clocking technology and jitter management algorithm
  • 10 MHz input for connecting to Antelope Audio 10M & 10MX atomic clocks
  • Word Clock outputs for use as master clock
  • Networking control from multiple computers
  • Flexible routing, mixing, and effects chaining via macOS and Windows app
  • Freely movable and resizable control panels to facilitate multi-screen setups
  • Full FPGA effects collection included
  • Two mini HDX connectors for direct Pro Tools connection (each offering 32 channels of I/O, totalling 64 channels)

The first generation of Orion 32 HD gave us not a direction, but an answer to what all of us would expect from a Pro Tools HD ready interface, that's why we kept everything that you and us at Antelope loved and improved the conversion that we adore. In truth - we kept everything, we just made it better.

Since it is compatible with any DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) via HDX or USB 3.0, this new Pro Tools HD - and Native-ready audio interface really
represents everything we at Antelope Audio stand for — from industry-finest AD/DA conversion, comprehensive connectivity, zero-latency monitoring, and 64-channel 24-bit/192 kHz audio streaming through to flawless clocking and beyond. Orion 32HD | Gen 3 offers extensive flexibility for excellent productivity, providing a color-coded software routing matrix with four separate mixers, effects chaining, and zero-latency monitoring. All are found within an intuitive desktop application for macOS and Windows. It is even possible to use that intuitive software control panel from multiple computers connected over the same network to amplify an already flexible workflow! Orion 32HD | Gen 3 not only enables users to stream an astounding 64 channels of audio when tracking, but also allows for multiple monitor mixes. Moreover, the sound is detailed, natural, pleasing, and transparent when monitoring.

Meanwhile, stepping out into the wonderful world of analog audio, Orion 32HD | Gen 3 is equally well connected, courtesy of four D-SUB 25 connectors catering to 32 channels of ANALOG IN and four D-SUB 25 connectors catering to 32 channels of ANALOG OUT, plus two MONITOR outputs on 1/4-inch TRS jacks.

Orion 32HD | Gen 3 is now available for purchase — priced at an RRP of $3,995.00 USD — through Antelope Audio’s growing global network of authorised dealers (https://en.antelopeaudio.com/dealers/). For more information, reach out to your dealer or to us directly at Antelope Audio | Digital clarity | Analog warmth

Last edited by Antelope Audio; 12th April 2019 at 03:38 PM..
Old 12th April 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Seriously considering getting this but I am VERY afraid about firmware issues I’ve been seeing. Has that been resolved ?!
Old 12th April 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Would love to see just a two channel version to replace my HEDD
Old 16th April 2019
  #4
Felt cute, might discontinue in a year or so.
Old 18th April 2019
  #5
Gear Head
 
Sam Antelope Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
Seriously considering getting this but I am VERY afraid about firmware issues I’ve been seeing. Has that been resolved ?!
Hi Patrick!

I'll try to be short and transparent in my answer. We've had a few hiccups, but quite a lot of time has passed and we do our best to learn from our mistakes!

The new generation Orion 32 devices are backed by software that is based on the original Orion 32/32+ software framework, which has been in circulation for years. The software matured in the best way possible with the continuous work of our software engineers. All of this is an indirect way to say - we learnt from our mistakes and we worked hard on providing a great sounding, and most importantly - stable interface.

Sam
Old 18th April 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi Patrick!

I'll try to be short and transparent in my answer. We've had a few hiccups, but quite a lot of time has passed and we do our best to learn from our mistakes!

The new generation Orion 32 devices are backed by software that is based on the original Orion 32/32+ software framework, which has been in circulation for years. The software matured in the best way possible with the continuous work of our software engineers. All of this is an indirect way to say - we learnt from our mistakes and we worked hard on providing a great sounding, and most importantly - stable interface.

Sam
I appreciate your sincerity and honesty.
Old 21st April 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Patrick!

I'll try to be short and transparent in my answer. We've had a few hiccups, but quite a lot of time has passed and we do our best to learn from our mistakes!

The new generation Orion 32 devices are backed by software that is based on the original Orion 32/32+ software framework, which has been in circulation for years. The software matured in the best way possible with the continuous work of our software engineers. All of this is an indirect way to say - we learnt from our mistakes and we worked hard on providing a great sounding, and most importantly - stable interface.

Sam
Hi I bought my Orion 32 HD just 6 months ago. It sounds great, but yes there are some strange stability issues. Unit behaves very random.
Will there be any upgrades for us paying $4000 on a unit thats not working as it should? I guess the new version dont have the software issues? Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019
  #8
Gear Head
 
Sam Antelope Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
Hi I bought my Orion 32 HD just 6 months ago. It sounds great, but yes there are some strange stability issues. Unit behaves very random.
Will there be any upgrades for us paying $4000 on a unit thats not working as it should? I guess the new version dont have the software issues? Thanks
Hi!

The previous Orion 32 HD utilises the same software and has been through many updates that improved the interface and fixed any issues.

If you are experiencing any issues with your interface, please get in touch with our technical support team, they are open for 20 hours a day and they will be help you right away.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Bought one, will report in a few days how it is!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Ok. Well I’m about to purchase 2 of them. Here goes.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Addict
 
musicjon's Avatar
 

Antelope drivers are janky as hell. Even now. Stay away if you work commercially.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjon View Post
Antelope drivers are janky as hell. Even now. Stay away if you work commercially.
See, these are the things i fear to hear. Can’t afford to be dealing with any of these issues. Smh.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Here for the gear
 
adamsea's Avatar
 

Orion 32HD GEN 3 stability/features

I've owned the Orion 32+ for about 2+ years now, I switched over from an Apollo 8 MKii because I needed more IO. I'm not going to lie, I was super hesitant at first , especially with all the chatter

All I can say that its super solid and I haven't had any hardware or software issues so far. If the reliability for the software/hardware is on par to my Orion 32+, I'm definitely in.

I will say it is a bummer to see that they are now going to charge for plugins that were previously free to previous Orion owners.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsea View Post
I've owned the Orion 32+ for about 2+ years now, I switched over from an Apollo 8 MKii because I needed more IO. I'm not going to lie, I was super hesitant at first , especially with all the chatter

All I can say that its super solid and I haven't had any hardware or software issues so far. If the reliability for the software/hardware is on par to my Orion 32+, I'm definitely in.

I will say it is a bummer to see that they are now going to charge for plugins that were previously free to previous Orion owners.
And what about the sound between the two ? I have an Apollo 16 silver and I'm about to switch to a 32+
The thing I love about the Apollo is the console software...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Ok just got it in, it sounds amazing! Routing is just top notch, just a big improvement to the symphony I had before. Hi five to Antelope Audio.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Are the MAC drivers OK? I'm interested in investing in this system. This system will be in a pro studio running 80 hours a week. I'm a little concerned about the driver issues with the previous generation. I can't afford downtime.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
Are the MAC drivers OK? I'm interested in investing in this system. This system will be in a pro studio running 80 hours a week. I'm a little concerned about the driver issues with the previous generation. I can't afford downtime.
Have been running it the full day, installation went really smooth. I will be running it pretty much 24/7 so if any hiccups I will report this. But so far im really happy with it and the conversion is soooo smooth sounding. That's what annoyed me about the symphony, the low end bump sound. Bu this is crystal clear and adds that expensive tone to it without colouring too much.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Are these convertors a sonic improvement over the Orion 2017? The lowered noise floor doesn't interest me, I'm just curious about the basic sound.

I'm still anxious to find a better convertor than my Avid HD IO (I'm not suggesting it's the best available, but it's what I have and is solid). The Orion came close to overtaking it but in the end didn't urge me to pull the trigger. Maybe the Orion 32 will change that?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Well I ordered them. It ****ing sucks NOW I don’t have the none of the plugins included I just put. Who do I speak with ?

This is ALOT of money spent. I pray pray pray it doesn’t give me ANY issues.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Contact tech support.

But what do you mean when you state that you don't have the included plugins? Aren't they added to the hardware via a downloadable update? Did you download the latest/greatest drivers/firmware/etc.? Are they not showing up in the software panel, or are they simply not able to be activated?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Contact tech support.

But what do you mean when you state that you don't have the included plugins? Aren't they added to the hardware via a downloadable update? Did you download the latest/greatest drivers/firmware/etc.? Are they not showing up in the software panel, or are they simply not able to be activated?
I was told the 3rd gen doesn’t come with all the AFX plugs.

Also what DSUB cables are you guys using ? Is mogami the top brand ?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I was told the 3rd gen doesn’t come with all the AFX plugs.

Also what DSUB cables are you guys using ? Is mogami the top brand ?
"Best cable brand" will be an argument 60 pages long and without any clear answer, but it's generally believed that Mogami is neutral enough that you don't need to worry about anything else. All of the dsubs in all of ours studios are Mogami, as are most (with the exception of 2 or 3) of the cable runs between equipment.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Gear Head
 
Sam Antelope Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
Well I ordered them. It ****ing sucks NOW I don’t have the none of the plugins included I just put. Who do I speak with ?

This is ALOT of money spent. I pray pray pray it doesn’t give me ANY issues.
Hi!

The Orion 32 HD Gen. 3 includes all of the listed effects in the product page, free of charge. That is almost all of the effects, tape machine is not available for the Orion 32 HD Gen. 3, maybe you are referring to that? But all effects that are available for the unit, come free of charge.

If you bought the Orion 32+ Gen. 3, then indeed most effects are not included with the unit, you have a collection of the most essential effects with the unit and the other ones are paid.

If you have any other questions - please ask, you can message me directly here.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
If you have any other questions - please ask, you can message me directly here.
Someone had asked this basic and important question, which didn't get answered by Antelope:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Are these convertors a sonic improvement over the Orion 2017? The lowered noise floor doesn't interest me, I'm just curious about the basic sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Are these convertors a sonic improvement over the Orion 2017? The lowered noise floor doesn't interest me, I'm just curious about the basic sound.

I'm still anxious to find a better convertor than my Avid HD IO (I'm not suggesting it's the best available, but it's what I have and is solid). The Orion came close to overtaking it but in the end didn't urge me to pull the trigger. Maybe the Orion 32 will change that?
Ive learned over the years that this is a HUGE part of converters that is overlooked.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Ive learned over the years that this is a HUGE part of converters that is overlooked.
I was with that thought for quite a while, but years ago. Prior to the Golden Age of convertors (late 2000's thru the 2010's), it was something to consider, but over the past several years technology has lifted to the point, even with inexpensive consumer-grade convertors, where it's not a feature that needs strong consideration. The Avid, Orion 2017 and Orion 32 *all* have quiet floors. Most current pro models do.

And I'm still hoping to get an answer about the 32 vs. the 2017. Actually, it was the Orion that was released *prior* to the 2017 that I'd auditioned, so my question really is: is the 32HD a sonic improvement (not noisefloor) over the original Orion?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I was with that thought for quite a while, but years ago. Prior to the Golden Age of convertors (late 2000's thru the 2010's), it was something to consider, but over the past several years technology has lifted to the point, even with inexpensive consumer-grade convertors, where it's not a feature that needs strong consideration. The Avid, Orion 2017 and Orion 32 *all* have quiet floors. Most current pro models do.

And I'm still hoping to get an answer about the 32 vs. the 2017. Actually, it was the Orion that was released *prior* to the 2017 that I'd auditioned, so my question really is: is the 32HD a sonic improvement (not noisefloor) over the original Orion?
If I recall correctly, the new 32+ is a slight improvement, but the 32HD is new flagship converter with a redesign of the complete converter.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 

RTL Latency?
Thunderbolt 3?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

The 32+ uses Thunderbolt 2.

The one in this thread, the 32HD, uses USB 3 and 2 x mini HDX connectors for direct Pro Tools connection.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!
Any chance you can post a manual for the 32HD | Gen 3 on your site?

May want to freshen up your specs, too. You list up to 64 channels of ADAT for both in and out. May be other errors, too.

Some roundtrip latency figures like you have for the 32+ | Gen 3 would be great, too.

Thanks
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Antelope Audio / Product Alerts older than 2 months
17
Clybourne / Product Alerts older than 2 months
3085
swaff / Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests
81
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump