The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
XLN Audio releases XO - A revolutionary new way of exploring sounds and making beats Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th April 2019
News Desk Editor

XLN Audio releases XO - A revolutionary new way of exploring sounds and making beats

XLN Audio releases XO - A revolutionary new way of exploring sounds and making beats-04-playground.jpg

XLN Audio releases XO - A revolutionary new way of exploring sounds and making beats

We've released a new product: XO - A revolutionary new way of exploring sounds and making beats

XO is a beat making tool that collects all your one-shot drum samples and sorts them by similarity. XO also comes with more than 8000 carefully curated samples.

Explore your drum sounds in the XO Space. When you hear something you like, have a look around. You might find something even better nearby.

Create your beat with the playful and intuitive sequencer, using essential effects and creative modifiers. XO is the perfect companion. As standalone, or in your favorite host - it will fit your workflow smoothly and seamlessly.

The best way to experience XO is by trying it out for yourself. You can read more about the product and download your 10-day trial here: XO - XLN Audio
Attached Thumbnails
XLN Audio releases XO - A revolutionary new way of exploring sounds and making beats-04-playground.jpg  
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Nut

Nice plugin...but what a rip-off...Sugarbytes GUI with Algonaut Atlas sample management
No intro price?
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axembler View Post
Nice plugin...but what a rip-off...Sugarbytes GUI with Algonaut Atlas sample management
No intro price?
179.95 Euros per the website..... doesn't say if that's the full price or the discounted price.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

That is the full price, I am sure. I see similarities with the UVI drum thing as well. But this looks like a winner.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

I think XLN has taken a good idea and made it even better, but I don't think you get to call it "revolutionary" after at least a couple other companies have released a shockingly similar product. Some very cool additions here that I'd love to have if I didn't already own the other competing AI instruments. Hard to justify the purchase. Best of luck to XLN on what appears to be a really great product!
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallTone View Post
what an overpriced peace of sh.. sticking to the original, or even GA5SE.
"Piece of sh..." ? Wow...XLN usually makes great softs that are really intuitive and sound great... very good and reliable company IMHO
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

This drum map GUI idea was first seen in a Google drum machine !!!!! not Atlas BTW The Infinite Drum Machine by Manny Tan & Kyle McDonald | Experiments with Google . This plug in is very cool and intuitive BUT way too expensive IMHO
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Nut

any layering possibilities?
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I hate being negative but I feel the same as others. Very high price for what this is. To be honest, I haven't ever purchased a sample pack that wasn't labeled by genre, type, and even description in many cases. Even most free sample packs are labelled. Which honestly renders the primary purpose of this as a slight convenience rather than a revolution.
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

All I have to say is try the demo.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

How do these kind of mapping plugins work?
they scan your complete system and collect what data?
can we control what is done with the data?
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

i asked because they advertise with that they find all drum sounds spread all over your system

Old 10th April 2019
Deleted d691f5a
From the short 15min video I just watched, still not sure about TonStrom's question, but it brought up another one. When exporting samples, loops etc. it showed they will be saved in a new user defined folder, so unless I missed something, are you then saving duplicates and possibly three versions if the DAW program also saves edited files used in the project? That could get messy and use up heaps of space. Hmm..

Otherwise, this looks to be a really dead simple to use program with lots of great features the other guys are missing...
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

This may have some useful new features comparing the Atlas - but are those really worth paying more 135 euros? (Atlas is on the sale $ 49 at the moment).
Old 10th April 2019
Deleted d691f5a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
This may have some useful new features comparing the Atlas - but are those really worth paying more 135 euros? (Atlas is on the sale $ 49 at the moment).
Actually, after finally trying it out, Atlas is sorta lame to be totally honest. It took 19 hours to scan my samples folder Finally, after a few hours with it, it isnt nearly as organized, feature packed or intuitive as I had hoped or as XO appears to be. It's sorta like a simple, but supposedly "smart" random sample player. Its seriously lacking in features, counterintuitive and fiddly to work with. Meh.

As for price.. Atlas was $100 intro price, $149 regular price and not surprisingly $49 on sale today So yeah, all things considered, regular prices of both are comparable. Without the internal sequencer, editing, in/out drag n drop of everything etc.. I'd rather stay with my DAW browser, Battery, Drum racks or Nerve than buy Atlas.

With XO, it looks to have all of the above internally on offer and truly be a game changer. However, and its a big one, they seriously need an offline installer. As I said earlier, my DAW machine never goes online period and I know lots of others are the same. If there is only an online installer that upon download auto scans the entire machine (TonStrom may be right to be concerned about this!), it is definitely a deal breaker for me.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d691f5a View Post
However, and its a big one, they seriously need an offline installer. As I said earlier, my DAW machine never goes online period and I know lots of others are the same. If there is only an online installer that upon download auto scans the entire machine (TonStrom may be right to be concerned about this!), it is definitely a deal breaker for me.
I'm 100% with you! In fact, I made sure there is no internet connection in my working environment, and security is only half of my concerns but that is a whole other discussion.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

As much as I like XO, I prefer Atlas at it suits more for what I need it. They seem like products with different goal.

XO is a nice sampler/drum machine and while being very user friendly it is limiting on the other hand. I have many maps in Atlas for specific types of sounds and it really sped up my workflow. Atlas doesn't do separate maps and you need to import your own samples as it looks. And why only 8 tracks...which means max eight sounds at the same time?

Sequencing part is superb, but as a browsing platform for using the sounds in your other samplers or drum machines, Atlas is a better tool.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
As much as I like XO, I prefer Atlas at it suits more for what I need it. They seem like products with different goal.

XO is a nice sampler/drum machine and while being very user friendly it is limiting on the other hand. I have many maps in Atlas for specific types of sounds and it really sped up my workflow. Atlas doesn't do separate maps and you need to import your own samples as it looks. And why only 8 tracks...which means max eight sounds at the same time?

Sequencing part is superb, but as a browsing platform for using the sounds in your other samplers or drum machines, Atlas is a better tool.
lol now i have to try Atlas as well lol
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by himom View Post
Actually, after finally trying it out, Atlas is sorta lame to be totally honest. It took 19 hours to scan my samples folder Finally, after a few hours with it, it isnt nearly as organized, feature packed or intuitive as I had hoped or as XO appears to be. It's sorta like a simple, but supposedly "smart" random sample player. Its seriously lacking in features, counterintuitive and fiddly to work with. Meh.

As for price.. Atlas was $100 intro price, $149 regular price and not surprisingly $49 on sale today So yeah, all things considered, regular prices of both are comparable. Without the internal sequencer, editing, in/out drag n drop of everything etc.. I'd rather stay with my DAW browser, Battery, Drum racks or Nerve than buy Atlas.

With XO, it looks to have all of the above internally on offer and truly be a game changer. However, and its a big one, they seriously need an offline installer. As I said earlier, my DAW machine never goes online period and I know lots of others are the same. If there is only an online installer that upon download auto scans the entire machine (TonStrom may be right to be concerned about this!), it is definitely a deal breaker for me.
Funny evaluation, all what you say about XO, are ”appears to be” ot ”looks to have”.
If you compare two products, I wish both were based on the same level experience.
In this case, either both only for e.g. video tutorial, or both demoed by installing the product.

What you conclude MAY have sense, but I wouldn’t base my behaviour on that kind of comparision/information.

(This just in all friendship).
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

The XO sequencer is excellent. There are a lot of easy ways to come up with variations in the Beat Combiner. The problem is you only get about included 100 MIDI patterns, and there is currently no way to add new MIDI patterns. Has anyone heard if there are plans to make it possible to add MIDI patterns to XO?
Old 11th April 2019
Deleted d691f5a
Quote:
Funny evaluation, all what you say about XO, are ”appears to be” ot ”looks to have”.
If you compare two products, I wish both were based on the same level experience.
In this case, either both only for e.g. video tutorial, or both demoed by installing the product.

What you conclude MAY have sense, but I wouldn’t base my behaviour on that kind of comparision/information.

(This just in all friendship).
Hi friend!

Funny how? You asked the question, I answered. I was honest. This thing had been out for what.. 12 hours?! Not sure why you feel commenting after watching videos and reading the manual of a brand new less than day old software in action doesnt qualify here... but hey, by all means, demo both and let us know YOUR thoughts!

Without an offline installer there is no way for me to demo XO. However, the videos of XO clearly show it is a far more advanced, all inclusive program than Atlas, which I did demo and found to be more of a hindrance than helper when it comes to "smart" beat making. Unless they are lying in the videos and manual, it has everything Atlas has, plus all of the other, more essential aspects to beat making. The only thing I could find that it doesn't have is more than 8 slots for samples. For me, its no biggie. With drag n drop audio/midi and routing capabilities, its easy enough to quickly add as many slots/layers as wanted. You could always load up 2 or more XO instances on separate tracks, right? Or in the spirit of GS - buy both, work with both at the same time and.. the best of both worlds ffs! hahaha I like to use my analog gear on some of the individual drum tracks anyway making it a non issue.

@ TonStrom I've submitted a ticket with support about an offline installer/installation method. We'll see. I did notice that XO does indeed have a function for offline sample folder handling, but that may only be for after the initial installation.

@ gmon 100+ presets with 15 stock variations of each, 8,000 stock samples, plus randomizing, plus easy DIY midi step sequencer editing, sample "smart" hot swapping, plus internal drag n drop midi for further editing... pretty much unlimited possibilities.

Just need a ****ing offline install!!!!
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

The funny part of the evaluation above is, if you read my comment, the unbalance.
If I got your approach correctly, you draw conclusions by 1) installing and demoing the Atlas, and 2) watching a tutorial video by the XO.

Better use the same level data for all the objects you put in the comparision.
Old 11th April 2019
Deleted d691f5a
Quote:
The funny part of the evaluation above is, if you read my comment, the unbalance.
If I got your approach correctly, you draw conclusions by 1) installing and demoing the Atlas, and 2) watching a tutorial video by the XO.

Better use the same level data for all the objects you put in the comparision.
Well friend, frankly speaking, when you reach a certain level of experience and skill, ya just know these things

This isnt about tones, sounds or processing which is up to the user and obviously subjective, its about features and functionality. Videos and the manual are enough for a seasoned professional to reasonably surmise that XO smokes Atlas in this department.

So anyways. I received word from XLN.. no esta bien guys. No offline installer or installation method for XO. Oh well.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well friend, frankly speaking, when you reach a certain level of experience and skill, ya just know these things

This isnt about tones, sounds or processing which is up to the user and obviously subjective, its about features and functionality. Videos and the manual are enough for a seasoned professional to reasonably surmise that XO smokes Atlas in this department.

So anyways. I received word from XLN.. no esta bien guys. No offline installer or installation method for XO. Oh well.
Even more funny/more strange aporoach: you ”just know”. Doesn’t sound very scientific approach to me.
I have worked with DAWs and plugins since the first Logic audio, after the 5.5.1 moved to the Cubase and Live, tested and installed during these years hundreds of plugins and sample libraries.
Experience of several artists and indie film audiotrack productions.
Still, I don’t ”just know” by watching a software video tutorial.
Old 11th April 2019
Deleted d691f5a
Quote:
Even more funny/more strange aporoach: you ”just know”. Doesn’t sound very scientific approach to me.
I have worked with DAWs and plugins since the first Logic audio, after the 5.5.1 moved to the Cubase and Live, tested and installed during these years hundreds of plugins and sample libraries.
Experience of several artists and indie film audiotrack productions.
Still, I don’t ”just know” by watching a software video tutorial.
Oh god... this isnt exactly rocket science man!

But hey, kudos to you for admitting it. It's always the first step.

I dont have a dog in this fight anymore. I gave both a fair shot and posted my honest feedback. XO is the clear winner and well worth the extra $35 bucks, but sadly doesnt have an offline installer, so it ends there.

Best of luck with Atlas, friend!
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh god... this isnt exactly rocket science man!

But hey, kudos to you for admitting it. It's always the first step.

I dont have a dog in this fight anymore. I gave both a fair shot and posted my honest feedback. XO is the clear winner and well worth the extra $35 bucks, but sadly doesnt have an offline installer, so it ends there.

Best of luck with Atlas, friend!
Rather emotional approach.
I don’t know to what your idea, that I speak for Atlas, is based on. Maybe to some internal fantacy world?
On my behalf I haven’t leant to neither side of these two plugins, yet - but will base my judgement and purchase decision on balanced information, not on feeling, or some sporadic statements.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Firstly I think this plug in is fantastic! So easy to get your head into and develop great fresh sounding ideas with your own samples. It scanned my Splice library in no time. The render function is a little strange, however I created some loops that I can see myself using again in other productions and having them in a standalone folder that I can drag into the files browser in Studio One gives me access to them as a library rather than trying to remember what session I created that interesting loop in! I know thats more hard drive space but they just keep getting bigger and cheaper so thats not a concern. Finally on price I agree its a little strong especially for existing XLN customers but I discovered a nice summer discount on audiodeluxe.com that might be available to most. Especially existing customers.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Head

I like it. Breathes new life in sample libraries I've had laying around for ages.

Great that the main focus is about finding and tweaking samples instead of XLN Audio going down the path of making a sample drum machine with tons of features I already have in Grove Agent, Maschine and Cubase.

The filter function (folder, lenght, frequency, drumminess and text) is very clever. You can really narrow it down if you want to.

When the sample count goes up high the application does gets a bit slow. Right now I've got about 70000 samples added, and that's just a small part of what I got on my sample drive.
Old 11th April 2019
Deleted d691f5a
Quote:
Rather emotional approach.
I don’t know to what your idea, that I speak for Atlas, is based on. Maybe to some internal fantacy world?
On my behalf I haven’t leant to neither side of these two plugins, yet - but will base my judgement and purchase decision on balanced information, not on feeling, or some sporadic statements.

Again with the childish tit for tat jibber jabber? Just stop it Harry. If you dont like others opinions on a product, tough titties. This is a public forum and a thread specifically about XO, not YOU ffs. Grow up and stick to the topic.

That being said, "on your behalf", I've gotta hand it to ya, you're a fast learner Harry! "funny", "strange", "emotional", "fantasy world" and "feeling"? Yep! You nailed it. These are precisely what creativity in music is all about.

PRO tip: make a poster with these words plastered right above your studio monitor as a reminder for yourself!

Done and doner.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

just tried this , kinda dissapointed , basically why including a step sequencer if it's poorly implemented (versus something like geist for exemple), i mean ok this is set to be simple , but if you drope something basically at first to organise your sound , if you add features keep in mind that people that have actually the need to oragnise zillion of sounds might certainly have 2 or 3 beat making solutions , so no need to propose something unless at least as powerfull ....if i need to use maschine instead of this for sequencing , then i ain't gonna pay extra money for extra features that are basically useless ...

Not enougth control other the samples sound wise , step sequenceur useless , no resizable gui ... promising product but not mature imho , coming from an XLN afficionado !!!

Just watched a video on atlas , it' focusing on what it is for and does it well ...organising and simplifying sample usage , it lets the rest for solutions that can handle it right ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search