The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nembrini Audio New PSA1000 Analog Saturation Bundle Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
Surprised to see it state "Wet/dry for phase coherent parallel saturation" in the pr video. I'm demoing now and there is very obvious phase cancelation happening when you use the wet dry knob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Sansamp has never worked well in parallel. There are so many filters and crossovers in the hardware that a wet/dry blend always wreaks havoc on the phase.
It would be great to have a 180° phase adjustment knob to tweak the effect, not just a phase flip button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembrini Audio View Post
Would you consider adding such a feature in a future update?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAZERS View Post
It would be great to have a 180° phase adjustment knob to tweak the effect, not just a phase flip button.

Would you consider adding such a feature in a future update?
Hi,
I'm Andy Cappellato and I am involved in the development of the Nembrini Audio PSA1000 and LoFi plugins.
The phase shift is a feature that we decided to keep as in the original unit in order to take advantage of all its potentiality.
Famous mix engineer as Tchad Blake use this feature to create fantastic and unusual sounds.
For this reason we implemented the wet/dry knob and phase inversion button.
You can try my "Deep Kick" preset on a kick drum track to ear what I'm talking about.

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappe307 View Post
Hi,
I'm Andy Cappellato and I am involved in the development of the Nembrini Audio PSA1000 and LoFi plugins.
The phase shift is a feature that we decided to keep as in the original unit in order to take advantage of all its potentiality.
Famous mix engineer as Tchad Blake use this feature to create fantastic and unusual sounds.
You can try my "Deep Kick" preset on a kick drum track to ear what I'm talking about.

------
Andy Cappellato
Being able to invert the polarity in just the low end or mids & highs together would allow more options in parallel.
Sometimes you’ll have good mids, highs in parallel, but the low register has done a near 180 and thins out, or the exact opposite, especially when filters, resonance & distortion are involved with HW or SW.

Don’t see how it could hurt to add some extra polarity & phase options if its possible. Being able to rotate in degrees via a controller fader, would really be handy as Drazers mentioned. These sort of things would help and allow more flexibility.

Don’t worry I won’t bang on about it, it’s just a suggestion is all, as I like it

Cheers,
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie-1 View Post
Being able to invert the polarity in just the low end or mids & highs together would allow more options in parallel.
Sometimes you’ll have good mids, highs in parallel, but the low register has done a near 180 and thins out, or the exact opposite, especially when filters, resonance & distortion are involved with HW or SW.

Don’t see how it could hurt to add some extra polarity & phase options if its possible. Being able to rotate in degrees via a controller fader, would really be handy as Drazers mentioned. These sort of things would help and allow more flexibility.

Don’t worry I won’t bang on about it, it’s just a suggestion is all, as I like it

Cheers,
Thanks for your suggestions Vinnie-1,
we will keep them in mind for future projects.
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi,

------
Andy Cappellato
Hey Andy,

Thanks for chiming in, great job on the plugin, I’m very happy with it and I like that you have kept the phase shift of the original unit.

Phase knob is just a suggestion because I find it much better to use something like Little Labs IBP over just a simple phase flip.

Also, great idea by @Vinnie-1 - splitting the frequencies would add even more control.

Paul
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions Vinnie-1,
we will keep them in mind for future projects.
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato

Hello Andy,

what is your opinion on seperate faders for wet and dry?

With instruments like synths the wet/dry knob is not easy to use
the hotter the signal gets.

thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAZERS View Post
Hey Andy,

Thanks for chiming in, great job on the plugin, I’m very happy with it and I like that you have kept the phase shift of the original unit.

Phase knob is just a suggestion because I find it much better to use something like Little Labs IBP over just a simple phase flip.

Also, great idea by @Vinnie-1 - splitting the frequencies would add even more control.

Paul
Hi Paul,
I am very pleased that you have enjoyed the PSA1000 plugin and that you are using it in combination with other plugins as the Little Labs IBP to expand its potentials.
We have chosen an intuitive and simple design to increase user's creativity as you have done!
Ciao from Milan!

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
Hello Andy,

what is your opinion on seperate faders for wet and dry?

With instruments like synths the wet/dry knob is not easy to use
the hotter the signal gets.

thanks
Hi TonStrom,
thank you for your feedback!
Our intention was to create a clear and easy interface, which would also respect the design of the original unit.
Personally I don't enjoy much faders in plugins and with the addition of 2 faders with the right ergonomic coarse we would ended up with a way too big interface.
It's up to the taste of each user, but I think dry/wet knob and post volume knob both fit well in most situations.
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi TonStrom,
thank you for your feedback!
Our intention was to create a clear and easy interface, which would also respect the design of the original unit.
Personally I don't enjoy much faders in plugins and with the addition of 2 faders with the right ergonomic coarse we would ended up with a way too big interface.
It's up to the taste of each user, but I think dry/wet knob and post volume knob both fit well in most situations.
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato

i will try more again with softsynths ( and bought the PSA1000 )
maybe i have to get more used to it
thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
i will try more again with softsynths ( and bought the PSA1000 )
maybe i have to get more used to it
thanks
Thanks to you too TonSorm,
I'm sure you'll have fun with PSA1000 plugin.
I love its color and saturation in order to add grit and character to virtual synths and electric pianos in particular!
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 1 week ago
Now that we have a dev here:
- really dig your plugin - been missing the sansamp tones since moving from Protools
- I would very much appreciate to get rid of the graphics pretending to be wood, screw and handles - they do nothing for sound or workflow but do waste a lot of valuable screen space

Keep up the good work
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Disagree with those who say to ditch the wood trim. It blends nicely with the rest of the GUI and I happen to like it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Now that we have a dev here:
- really dig your plugin - been missing the sansamp tones since moving from Protools
- I would very much appreciate to get rid of the graphics pretending to be wood, screw and handles - they do nothing for sound or workflow but do waste a lot of valuable screen space

Keep up the good work
Hi thedberg,
I'm very happy that you like the PSA1000 plugin, our intention was to bring these fantastic colors to non-Pro Tools users as well.
Nembrini Audio's graphic team has worked hard on the user interface and I think it reflects the corporate spirit well: natural analog feeling and digital precision.
It's matter of personal taste but I think it works
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealsongs View Post
Disagree with those who say to ditch the wood trim. It blends nicely with the rest of the GUI and I happen to like it.
Hi sealsongs,
happy to hear that you like the PSA1000 plugin GUI!
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hi thedberg,
I'm very happy that you like the PSA1000 plugin, our intention was to bring these fantastic colors to non-Pro Tools users as well.
Nembrini Audio's graphic team has worked hard on the user interface and I think it reflects the corporate spirit well: natural analog feeling and digital precision.
It's matter of personal taste but I think it works
Ciao!

------
Andy Cappellato
Thanks for the response. It seems like a good approach to keep up a corporate spirit .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

From Mister Sans Amp himself, the one and only Tchad Blake:

“Not sure what’s different from the Avid version (which I also really like) but this Nembrini version is tighter, more solid in the mids and lows.

Reminds me of the original SansAmp ‘Classic' guitar pedal.

And a phase switch!

Too cool.”

Last edited by soupiraille; 1 week ago at 10:32 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for adding the bundle offer, grabbed both.

Two great plugins!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Bought it! Amazing plugin - crazy intro offer price!
Just tested it on el. bass!
This is a step ahead from SansAmp AAX and now that I have moved away from ProTools I can use it in my other DAWs without missing SansAmp at all.
Bravo Nembrini Audio!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Thanks for adding the bundle offer, grabbed both.

Two great plugins!
Pray tell what (where) is this bundle offer you speak of?!

R.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Pray tell what (where) is this bundle offer you speak of?!

R.
Along with the current PSA sale price, use this code to get 70% off LoFi: LOFIAPRILDISCOUNT
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Along with the current PSA sale price, use this code to get 70% off LoFi: LOFIAPRILDISCOUNT
Thank you sir! Now... Do I need another clipper? Time to demo.

R.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Thank you sir! Now... Do I need another clipper? Time to demo.

R.
Of course you do
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Of course you do
Might as well just change your handle to “The Enabler!”
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Instant purchase for me. Though I had my endgame saturation VST folder done last night. But you just brought my teenage years back in a plugin. Thanks! Can't wait to check it out when I get home.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yeah guys I love this thing. If you wanna hear some quick clips I made while testing this plug check em out: Nembrini Audio PSA1000 Sound Clips by OVERDRIIIVE | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Really happy with the M/S, really happy with the "Electronic Component-Variable Response" (don't want to step on any marketing toes here...), love the unit this was based on and I really feel like I won't be purchasing another of the classic rackmount versions I used to own since I have this plugin.

Love the double click to reset knobs.

Totally worth the money and more. If I didn't already have a clipper I loved I would purchase yours just to vote with my dollar. Looking forward to your next plugin however.

I would like a phase rotation knob instead of the 180 flip switch. (Or as someone else pointed out - a phase knob for each band - maybe accessible under an advanced panel would be amazing.)
I would like the spread delay to be mixable with the wet/dry knob.
I would like a version with a simplified GUI - without the skeuomorphic elements.
The "Electronic Component-Variable Response" could be a tiny bit less pronounced - maybe reduce the effect by 10-20%? It takes a little longer to find a usable set of channels with your setup compared to other plugin designer's implementation of this type of tech.

Other than that - raise the price up quick, this is a really great plugin and I want you guys to make more good stuff. Make that profit.
Old 5 days ago
Thank you for your excellent work, Igor and Andy. Sounds fantastic.

After mixing with the PSA, I have to echo the other sentiments - the wet/dry situation is unusable as-is. I will offer an example to clarify, as well as an easy solution!

Example:

Insert PSA on a kick track. Kick is already at a good level in the mix. Start dialing in the PSA - sounds great but makes signal way louder (as sans amps do) - so I bring the Trim knob down to bring the kick back to level in the mix. Once the sound is locked in, I flip phase and start blending the dry back in, but by this time the dry signal is minuscule - barely audible - because we’ve brought it down along with the very loud PSA level, so it’s impossible to use the wet/dry knob due to the huge imbalance of levels.

Solution:

Make the Trim knob control wet signal output only - put it pre-wet/dry - and treat it as part of the equipment. Then, make the Output knob control the “master” output, controlling both wet and dry levels. Right now, it seems that the Trim and the Output do roughly the same thing, unless I’m mistaken.

That’s my humble opinion as a mixer who wants to use your awesome plugins in every mix as smoothly as possible Please consider implementing this simple change ASAP and making us all even happier and impressed by your diligent customer service!

Best,
MG
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

After mixing with the PSA, I have to echo the other sentiments - the wet/dry situation is unusable as-is. I will offer an example to clarify, as well as an easy solution!

Example:

Insert PSA on a kick track. Kick is already at a good level in the mix. Start dialing in the PSA - sounds great but makes signal way louder (as sans amps do) - so I bring the Trim knob down to bring the kick back to level in the mix. Once the sound is locked in, I flip phase and start blending the dry back in, but by this time the dry signal is minuscule - barely audible - because we’ve brought it down along with the very loud PSA level, so it’s impossible to use the wet/dry knob due to the huge imbalance of levels.

Solution:

Make the Trim knob control wet signal output only - put it pre-wet/dry - and treat it as part of the equipment. Then, make the Output knob control the “master” output, controlling both wet and dry levels. Right now, it seems that the Trim and the Output do roughly the same thing, unless I’m mistaken.

That’s my humble opinion as a mixer who wants to use your awesome plugins in every mix as smoothly as possible Please consider implementing this simple change ASAP and making us all even happier and impressed by your diligent customer service!

Best,
MG
Agree about the wet/dry. It’s unusable the way it is now. Otherwise a great sounding plugin.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Example:

Solution:

Best,
MG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Agree about the wet/dry. It’s unusable the way it is now. Otherwise a great sounding plugin.
Hi MrG and JB872,
I'm very happy that you like the PSA1000 plugin!
Igor did a wonderful job and I think the plugin sounds great!

We have chosen to place the dry/wet mix knob before the level knob because phase reversal creates cancellation that lower drastically the volume.
Contrariwise when the plugin is in phase the signals add up to each other and the volume increases.
In both cases once I have found the right sound I can bring the volume back to the output level that I want with only one knob.

If the level knob would have been placed before the wet/dry mix knob,
I would have no way of adjusting the output volume of the plugin
without touching the mix knob and potentially changing my sound.

In the PSA1000 (not Jr) we have added an output knob after the channel volume knobs for the same reason:
once I set the left and right channels (or mid and side) the way I like it,
I can control the output of the plugin with just one knob.

I love simple workflows and I think this is a practical way to control the PSA1000 output volume with a one single knob
Thank you for your feedback.

Ciao from Milan!

------
Andy Cappellato
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Hi MrG and JB872,

We have chosen to place the dry/wet mix knob before the level knob because phase reversal creates cancellation that lower drastically the volume.
Contrariwise when the plugin is in phase the signals add up to each other and the volume increases.
In both cases once I have found the right sound I can bring the volume back to the output level that I want with only one knob.

In the PSA1000 (not Jr) we have added an output knob after the channel volume knobs for the same reason:

I love simple workflows and I think this is a practical way to control the PSA1000 output volume with a one single knob

Ciao from Milan!

------
Andy Cappellato
Thanks for your response, Andy. While I appreciate your effort, I do not think you are correct in more ways than one (and beyond subjective opinion). I will describe below.

First of all, I clearly distinguished between the Trim knob and the Output knob, which you did not. These knobs both do the exact same thing at the moment, unless I’m mistaken. The overall level being diminished by a blend of an out of phase wet signal and the dry signal should and is adjustable by the Output knob. The Trim knob is there - redundant in its current signal flow - and could easily be repurposed to allow _far greater control_ of this plugin. I’m a pro mixer - this kind of control is essential in a professional tool.

Please read, analyze, and consider my suggestion. I have read and considered what you’ve repeatedly told everyone about how you use the plugin above, and I am suggesting you may have overlooked an easy improvement.

Thank you,
MG
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Quote:
Hi MrG and JB872,

Ciao from Milan!

------
Andy Cappellato
Thanks for your response, Andy. While I appreciate your effort, I do not think you are correct in more ways than one (and beyond subjective opinion). I will describe below.

First of all, I clearly distinguished between the Trim knob and the Output knob, which you did not. These knobs both do the exact same thing at the moment, unless I’m mistaken. The overall level being diminished by a blend of an out of phase wet signal and the dry signal should and is adjustable by the Output knob. The Trim knob is there - redundant in its current signal flow - and could easily be repurposed to allow _far greater control_ of this plugin. I’m a pro mixer - this kind of control is essential in a professional tool.

Please read, analyze, and consider my suggestion. I have read and considered what you’ve repeatedly told everyone about how you use the plugin above, and I am suggesting you may have overlooked an easy improvement.

Thank you,
MG

the plug works perfect as it is imo, adjust wet/dry mix, then adjust output level, that's the way it should be.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search