The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JELSTUDIO AutoEQ v2 (dynamic automatic equalizer) Equalizer Plugins
Old 3rd April 2019
Software JELSTUDIO AutoEQ v2 (dynamic automatic equalizer)

AutoEQ v2 is a dynamic automatic tonal equalizer for LIVE and/or mixing/mastering use.

The website where you can get the demo and/or read the manual: JELSTUDIO AutoEQ VSTplugin

It is a VST2 (32 and 64 bit) plugin for Windows.

A short demo-video of the plugin on a master-track and then on some multi-tracks (the video shows the first release-version and not the current updated version) :

EDIT:
AutoEQ is updated to version 20190507, with some additions and improvements.

A few people wanted an option for 'more bass', so I added a 'subwoofer' mode (I think it's mostly useful for electronic music or for when you want more of a 'club sound', but just be aware that the more bass-heavy EQ-color, at least in my opinion, creates a sound that doesn't translate as well between sound-systems as the default EQ-color. But it's there now for those who want it )

A dry/wet mix user-control has also been added, for those who wanted to be able to blend in some of the dry signal.

And some general improvements/adjustments was made to make the sound-engine more stable.

On the webpage you can find the new plugin and demo the updates (the video above shows the first release-version and not the updated version)

I attached an image of the current version's GUI.

And a big thank you to those of you who had the courage to get onboard with the first release. I hope you will find this update has ironed out some of the initial quirks and is an improvement
Attached Thumbnails
JELSTUDIO AutoEQ v2 (dynamic automatic equalizer)-autoeq_v2_20190507.png  

Last edited by JEL; 2 weeks ago at 09:05 AM..
Old 4th April 2019
lbx
Gear Nut

This plugin is fantastic. Fixes a dull mix really nicely. The developer has been incredibly helpful also - I requested an internal wet/dry control (as Reaper's one was too affected by the volume adjustment the plugin can introduce) - and within hours he sent me a version including this feature.

An absolute steal at the price!

It works really nicely also when placed after distortion plugins that affect different frequency bands (like contemporary color) - so you can add distortion without drastically changing the spectrum balance.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

Any chance for a Mac version?
Old 4th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Any chance for a Mac version?
Sorry, compiling for mac is still not possible.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

It got my attention. What are the demo limitations? Also, $52.35 CAD is slightly above the "impulse buy" category, meaning I'd have to evaluate it extensively and convince myself that I cannot breath without this tool.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

The video is great. I don't think I will ever use an auto EQ, BUT this plugin is extremely fast and helpful for unveiling certain EQ bands that may have been neglected. IT pretty much resets your canvas to white, then you get to go back in and choose which colors to reapply.
Old 4th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
It got my attention. What are the demo limitations? Also, $52.35 CAD is slightly above the "impulse buy" category, meaning I'd have to evaluate it extensively and convince myself that I cannot breath without this tool.
I don't want to get into the medical business, so hopefully your breath will remain fine either way

The demo-limit is a sound-level drop for 3 seconds each minute.
That's all.

You can test the demo for as long as you like. No time-limits or expiration-dates.

And yes; do test it thoroughly
I'm pleased with it myself, but obviously it isn't a magic tool for everything and anything

If I may suggest one thing, and this is just a side-note you can ignore if you want, but if you're going to do some deeper testing of this; you could include "AL" in your test (they can demo in sync with regard to the sound-level drop)
AL is an auto-loudness plugin that goes well just before AutoEQ in your sound chain. It keeps everything very smooth.
I mention it because I actually would like to hear some feedback on that combo, and if you're doing some testing anyway then maybe it would be interesting
AL comes in a LIVE version and an experimental latency version (the latency version has a small lookahead which smooths out some transients and attacks.
AL: JELSTUDIO AutoLoudness VSTplugin
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
Sorry, compiling for mac is still not possible.
Ok!

Out of interest, what is it exactly that prevents you from compiling the code for MacOS formats?
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I get really interesting, useful (and nice) results with this eq on mixes. Especially when the "plugin dry/wet knob" in Reaper is on 90%-92%.
But why is the volume difference so big? The mix gets much quieter after using the eq.
Old 4th April 2019
So far not working properly in Studio One 4. Low volume on every track with pumping all tracks calibrated for plugin use.
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Ok!

Out of interest, what is it exactly that prevents you from compiling the code for MacOS formats?
The compiler I use has exports for Windows-VST2 and Linux LV1 LADSPA, but not for mac.
Also; I don't have a mac, so I couldn't even test such exports even if I could create them (which is also why I don't use the Linux option)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broco View Post
I get really interesting, useful (and nice) results with this eq on mixes. Especially when the "plugin dry/wet knob" in Reaper is on 90%-92%.
But why is the volume difference so big? The mix gets much quieter after using the eq.
The level-difference is because of how AutoEQ works internally (I'm simulating some physical electronic methods that cause some power-fluctuations which drive the EQ (which is also why it can potentially explode with some high dB levels)) but I have just uploaded a version with a dry-wet slider built-in that makes it easier to blend dry and wet signals without getting large gain-differences (the option LBX, in the first post here, wanted )

You can find it on the webpage or direct-download it here: https://jelstudio.dk/VSTplugin_AutoE...,Demo,Full.zip

It includes an updated manual that explains how to use the dry/wet slider.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the low volume could also be because you didn't turn up the gain
(the blue vertical slider on the right side of the GUI. It's at -24 dB FS by default)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 View Post
So far not working properly in Studio One 4. Low volume on every track with pumping all tracks calibrated for plugin use.
Is it possible for you to create a video of the issue? (So I can see and hear what happens)
I don't have Studio One 4, so I have no option to test with that host.

If you want you can test your setup with this plugin: JELSTUDIO VST2 plugin Testing and Diagnostics and see if you get 'all green' results or if some come up red.

Since AutoEQ simulates some physical electronic properties, steady timing is unfortunately somewhat critical with it.

Last edited by JEL; 5th April 2019 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: added info to Broco about input-gain
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I did not notice the volume fader...
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by broco View Post
I did not notice the volume fader...
Haha, now you see it
Glad that's all it was

I wasn't sure if I should default it to no gain-cut or, as I went with, its full gain-cut (-24 dB FS)

I just figured it's better to not get surprised/shocked by a huge sound-increase when adding AutoEQ to the plugin-chain (especially if wearing headphones )
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Maniac

whats the theory behind autoeq (nothing into depth) but how does it work ?
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
whats the theory behind autoeq (nothing into depth) but how does it work ?
Well, if I understand your question correctly; in very simple terms I suppose you could say it's a bit like a counter-balance with a dynamic center-of-gravity.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, if I understand your question correctly; in very simple terms I suppose you could say it's a bit like a counter-balance with a dynamic center-of-gravity.
I was reading a book about Gravity. It was so hard to put down!
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

what is the difference between this and the surfer eq please?
thanks
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I found it hard to pick up!
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I had that experience once when I read a book about helium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
what is the difference between this and the surfer eq please?
thanks
I don't know the plugin you refer to, so it wouldn't be fair of me to comment on it (since I could only be guessing about it)

But AutoEQ2 has a demo you can test, so you might be able to compare them yourself
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a question. Where is the Dry/wet slider?
I just can't find the dark red horizontal slider...
Attached Thumbnails
JELSTUDIO AutoEQ v2 (dynamic automatic equalizer)-komento-2019-05-05-033531.png  
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltonsister View Post
I have a question. Where is the Dry/wet slider?
I just can't find the dark red horizontal slider...
It's the experimental version, not the release version.

The download-links to experimental versions (and older release versions) are at the bottom of the plugin-pages, but the direct-link to the one you ask for is this: http://jelstudio.dk/VSTplugin_AutoEQ...,Demo,Full.zip

Experimental versions are versions that differ in some way from the release versions.
In this case it sounds the same, but has the extra user-control
In other cases they may sound different (I'm just posting this as general info for people who may read this thread later)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
It's the experimental version, not the release version.

The download-links to experimental versions (and older release versions) are at the bottom of the plugin-pages, but the direct-link to the one you ask for is this: http://jelstudio.dk/VSTplugin_AutoEQ...,Demo,Full.zip

Experimental versions are versions that differ in some way from the release versions.
In this case it sounds the same, but has the extra user-control
In other cases they may sound different (I'm just posting this as general info for people who may read this thread later)
Sorry it was my lack of confirmation.
Thank you so much. I'll try experimental version.
Old 2 weeks ago
AutoEQ is updated to version 20190507, with some additions and improvements.

(The initial top-post in this thread has been updated to reflect this, but I'm also posting it here so those following this thread gets notified)

A few people wanted an option for 'more bass', so I added a 'subwoofer' mode (I think it's mostly useful for electronic music or for when you want more of a 'club sound', but just be aware that the more bass-heavy EQ-color, at least in my opinion, creates a sound that doesn't translate as well between sound-systems as the default EQ-color. But it's there now for those who want it )

A dry/wet mix user-control has also been added, for those who wanted to be able to blend in some of the dry signal.

And some general improvements/adjustments was made to make the sound-engine more stable.

On the webpage ( this one: https://jelstudio.dk/VSTplugin_AutoEQ/ ) you can find the updated plugin (the demo has the same updates)

I attached an image of the updated version's GUI to the post at the top of this thread.

And I would like to say a big thank you to those of you who had the courage to get onboard with the first release (which in hindsight was probably pushed out the door a little too early )
I hope you will find this update has ironed out some of the initial quirks and is an improvement that takes the plugin to where it was supposed to be from the beginning
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search