The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide releases Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Eventide releases Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in

Eventide releases Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in-unnamed-24-.jpg

Eventide releases Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in

Eventide is proud to release the Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in — perfectly emulating the iconic sounds of the recording technology trailblazer’s original Instant Flanger hardware released in 1975, and available with added creative features and functionality for use in all of the most popular DAWs.

The original Eventide Clockworks Instant Flanger was among the world’s first pro audio effects boxes, so who better to reintroduce its innovations to today’s DAW-driven production populace than Eventide’s ‘resident fossil’, Tony Agnello. He begins by answering an obvious question: “Why ‘instant’? Well, the original hardware was designed to give artists the ability to ‘instantly’ create the psychedelic sound effect that otherwise required two tape machines, a bunch of cables, and a deft touch. Its introduction in 1975 ushered in the era of electronic studio effects. Tony Visconti used it to magically transform an ordinary piano into an otherworldly harpsichord on David Bowie’s ‘Ashes To Ashes’. Also our innovation of adding a de-correlated output was seized upon by engineers who were seeking to create rich stereo images — case in point being Bill Wittman’s brilliant use of the ‘pseudo stereo’ effect on Cyndi Lauper’s ‘Time After Time’.”

Today, Eventide’s updated Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in is a more authentic recreation of the original Eventide Clockworks Instant Flanger in both appearance and — all-important — sound. Creative mixing and sound design for modern music production, video game, and motion picture scores can easily be achieved by any musician or engineer using Instant Flanger Mk II. As an easy-to-use, expressive plug- in that offers new creative controls and features while retaining the magical sound and functionality of the original hardware, Instant Flanger Mk II delivers stunning results for any mix or desirable flanging track effect.

Creative controls and features:
  • Three distinct flanging flavors — set MODE for SHALLOW, DEEP, or WIDE.
  • MANUAL control allows adjustment of the ‘comb’ effect by turning the big knob.
  • OSCILLATOR drives the flanging at a user-determined rate.
  • ENVELOPE FOLLOWER drives the flanging based on the source signal’s amplitude.
  • REMOTE maps the flanging control to a keyboard controller’s mod wheel for tactile manipulation.
  • DEPTH allows users to set the intensity of the effect — 100% adds the dry signal to the delayed signal, -100% adds the phase-
  • inverted dry signal to the delayed signal.
  • BOUNCE creates the distinctive effect of the tape machine’s capstan motor ‘hunting’ for its proper speed when the engineer
  • removed their thumb from the tape reel flange.
  • SIDE CHAIN allows for triggering the ENVELOPE FOLLOWER from a separate source in the mix for inter-track mingling.
  • Exercise total control of the OSCILLATOR with SYNC and RETRIG controls.
  • Tame the intensity by removing low frequencies from the flanged signal with the LOW CUT knob.

“Decades later, reflecting on the heart and soul of the many songs that were enhanced by the original machine’s sound, creating a plug-in that’s convenient and affordable for modern music makers is something that we’re quite proud of,” concludes Tony Agnello, adding: “An incredible legacy of hits were made with our original hardware in studios the world over, and we anticipate that many more will be made in the future with the Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in.”

Instant Flanger Mk II is available as an AAX/AU/VST plug-in for Mac and PC at an introductory promo price of $37.00 USD until April 30, 2019 — rising thereafter to $129.00 USD — from Eventide dealers (Eventide Dealers | Eventide) or directly from Eventide itself (Eventide Audio).

Instant Flanger Mk II is free to registered owners of Eventide’s Anthology X and Anthology XI software bundles. For more in-depth information, including a free and fully-functional 30-day trial, please visit the dedicated Instant Flanger Mk II webpage here: Instant Flanger Mk II | Eventide

Watch Eventide’s engaging and informative Instant Flanger Mk II video playlist here: YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide releases Instant Flanger Mk II plug-in-unnamed-24-.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Instant Phaser
Instant Flanger
instant purchase

fantastic sound !

Now please EVENTIDE give us an authentic native Schulte Compact Phasing
since UAD does not deliver

thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

SWEET! I've got the perfect track that I just finished this morning that needs this. Immediate download!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Free for Anthology owners!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yup, this thing sounds great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Instant purchase, of course. I now realise that I should just have bought Anthology a long time ago. These plugins are in every single project.

A small heads-up: if you download from your account page, you may get the old MKI (ver 3.3.3), and not the MKII (1.7.2?). They're not the same...

r,
j,
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They're both SO MUCH BETTER than the previous versions.
I always had the originals but never thought that much of them. I just assumed that this is what the analog hardware sounded like.

WRONG! These new ones are so much more vibey, not to mention cheap.
What a time to be into all this stuff!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Only just getting into the anthology and kicking myself for not doing so sooner.

Will be trying this asap. Great stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Am I the only one who wishes there was a mix knob or am I missing something?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I though the old TDM version sounded better myself.
I can't get it to do what that version did. Gentle smooth flange. All the settings sound to over effected.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
Use on an Aux channel.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I took advantage of the intro sale. The most useful, intuitive and inventive flanger I've ever tried. Can't wait for the Phaser to go back on sale...

Quote:
"Depth" is the mix nob. It has some wierd settings... All in the manual
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
From the manual...

Quote:
Depth Is Mix!

Many modulation type effects provide a mix control. In fact, it is impossible to achieve most modulation type effects without a mix control. By definition these effects are cre- ated by combining the dry input signal with some affected signal. This signal is usually phase shifted by means of a phase shift network, or time delayed by a digital delay line or bucket brigade device. The Instant Flanger has a mix knob, but rather than being labeled Mix, it is called Depth. At 0% the output is entirely the delayed signal. At 100% the output is the equal mix of the input and delayed signal. At -100% the inverted input signal is mixed at equal amplitude with the delayed signal.

Why is it called Depth, you ask? As you add more of the dry signal to the delayed signal, nulls appear in the output spectrum. These nulls get deeper as the two signals approach equal amplitude. Hence you are controlling the depth of the nulls!
It's the same with the phaser.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Agree with the positive comments, this sounds great and I prefer it to all of the other gazillion flangers I have. Love it on vocals!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
I though the old TDM version sounded better myself.
I can't get it to do what that version did. Gentle smooth flange. All the settings sound to over effected.
Yeah I have no problem with doing that all but sometimes it’s handy to have a mix knob... I guess people are telling me the depth knob is basically a mix knob so that’s cool.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Agree with the positive comments, this sounds great and I prefer it to all of the other gazillion flangers I have. Love it on vocals!
Yeah this thing sounds so good on vocals. Tested it yesterday and was blown away at how much better it is than all the other flangers. The sync to tempo option is extremely useful and will be used A LOT. So handy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Everything I have from Eventide is first rate and such a great company. I don't have a use for this but I would buy anything from these guys blind, since they are consistently awesome......
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Between the envelope follower, midi trigger, stereo output mode, inverted feedback switch, and crazy "Depth" knob, this is doing things I had no idea I could do with a flanger.

I'm using the envelope follower, tape servo, and stereo output on a drum room... Ah. That old chestnut!

Seriously kicking myself for sleeping on the Phaser sale!
Old 2 weeks ago
F5D
Lives for gear

I bought the Anthology pack a couple of years ago and have upgraded that for a very reasonable amount of money. It definitely feels good to own the pack, as these updated plugins come for free. It is good to see that they have started going through their old plugins and giving them an overhaul as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
trg
Here for the gear

Haven't found a sound yet that I really like with the Flanger. I seem to prefer the Phaser in most cases.
But both sound great and have that "unpredictability/imperfection" vibe...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tested it yesterday and was blown away at how much better it is than all the other flangers.
I had the same experience. I haven't usually gotten on very well with other plugin flangers, but this one does exactly what I want it to. Or surprises me in the kinds of ways I want to be surprised. Wasn't wanting to make a purchase right now but the cost to quality factor is just too strong. Had to get it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared this to Softube Fix Flanger?
Asking for a friend. ;-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Even when the depth knob is at the lowest setting it does sound like the entire signal gets affected. Some sort of wet/dry parallel mix knob would have been nice. Much more needed with instant phaser than instant flanger which is a bit more controlled.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The re-release of this and the phaser with very generous intro pricing is an excellent move. Saw that Blackhole is on sale right now as well. I just wish they would pull a Soundtoys kind of move and do a limited time 75% off sale for their more expensive plugins like the H910. I want that one so badly but not $250 for a plugin badly! Especially since you can get the the very similar Crystalizer plug for $50 right now. I can guarantee the number of sales they would make would more than justify such a huge sale. So if any of you Eventide folks are reading this...
Old 1 week ago
TJ5
Here for the gear
The Blackhole Flash Sale for $29 ends on Sunday night.

I bought the Phaser Mk II and currently thinking about buying this Flanger and Blackhole from Audio Deluxe for the extra discount.

Reverb.com has the Anthology XI bundle for $699 (reg $1,799). I'm tempted to buy it but it's still expensive at that price. I leaning towards buying just the ones I want if/when they go on sale. I might not be able to get every plugin on my wish-list but it's not like I really need them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5 View Post
The Blackhole Flash Sale for $29 ends on Sunday night.

I bought the Phaser Mk II and currently thinking about buying this Flanger and Blackhole from Audio Deluxe for the extra discount.
Don't miss those two !

and the 3 Blackhole banks from synth-presets.com are really good, too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5 View Post
I leaning towards buying just the ones I want if/when they go on sale.
My fingers are crossed that they'll keep the sale train going, and that the H910 is up next, and it'll be 85% off like Blackhole. Fingers firmly, firmly crossed!
Old 1 week ago
TJ5
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
My fingers are crossed that they'll keep the sale train going, and that the H910 is up next, and it'll be 85% off like Blackhole. Fingers firmly, firmly crossed!
Yes, same here!
Old 1 week ago
TJ5
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
Don't miss those two !

and the 3 Blackhole banks from synth-presets.com are really good, too
Are the 3 Extraordinary Spaces really worth buying?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Vol 1to3 are almost 500 well programmed (also listen to their VintageVerb presets) Blackhole presets /variations at hand, either for instant use or as starters..

I personally think they are excellent and 14 USD /Vol a great offer.

Buy Vol1 and check out for yourself if you also want Vol 2/3?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search