The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMGAudio Multiplicity Dynamics Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Also, the UI for Multiplicity is so, so good. They really nailed the ranges and weighting of the controls.

It’s so much easier to use than Compassion or even TrackComp. Which is quite an achievement given how deep it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
Im not offended, the only one who is offended is you! DMG Plug Ins are very very cheap for what you get. If you can't afford even such a low price for a professional tool, it is your problem. So do not whine here in the forum. 20 years ago you had to spend 20k to use one instance of a tool like the Multiplicy.
Well done you. Thumbs up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomaker View Post
No, but you can target L and R separately so you've got two channels.
Does anything available have this feature at the moment?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sounds great! Requesting a 3 knob version.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axb312 View Post
Does anything available have this feature at the moment?
Not that I'm aware of, I don't know what use anyone would have for multiple sidechains. What are you trying to achieve?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Curious about this plugin. I have recently started using Waves F6 in mixes. Can Dmg Multiplicity have something like Waves F6 split sidechain mode?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Curious about this plugin. I have recently started using Waves F6 in mixes. Can Dmg Multiplicity have something like Waves F6 split sidechain mode?
Yeah; that's the factory default. But you can go as deep as you like with sidechain triggering; if you multiband split you can have other bands driving each other's dynamic behaviour. Or you can use the 3band sidechain EQ on the wideband/external signals to pick out whatever you like.

Dave.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
Yeah; that's the factory default. But you can go as deep as you like with sidechain triggering; if you multiband split you can have other bands driving each other's dynamic behaviour. Or you can use the 3band sidechain EQ on the wideband/external signals to pick out whatever you like.

Dave.
Hey, Dave, a real in-depth video of Multiplicity would be killer. This is a tool I really want to know everything it can do.

Not to say that the manual is not great, nor the plugin itself is not intuitive. But anyway...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Hey, Dave, a real in-depth video of Multiplicity would be killer. This is a tool I really want to know everything it can do.

Not to say that the manual is not great, nor the plugin itself is not intuitive. But anyway...
I second that...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Get Dan W on the case :¬)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Feature Request: Multiple external sidechains.

The freedom/flexibility of adding bands with separate external sidechain sources would be off the charts; controlling trim (especially useful), M/S and link etc.

At the moment I'm sending the necessary channels to a sidechain bus and feeding that into Multiplicity. The SC EQ is helpful, but unless I'm doing something stupid (possible) I've found the kick band will still be triggered even if I'm using a HP of 3K on the SC EQ.

The idea of triggering a band directly from a kick, and another band directly from the vocals (setup precisely per band) is almost of a sexual nature in terms of workflow
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Glad to see some folks as excited as i am about this plugin. I got whinged at for raving about the new flavour of the month...but i genuinely think the is the best thing to come out for a long time.
as mentioned, the below ratio is absolute magic. Allows you to compress, whilst maintaining a (variable with ratio) amount of the input dynamics.
Or you can go the other way and expand. Absolutely incredible.
Add the dual release and flexible sidechain / channel linkage and this is a real powerhouse.

I have been testing it a lot this week in my template and against other compressors. What has surprised me is how its actually not as CPU hungry as i first thought.
I am actually using it as a wideband processor most of the time, but i have quite a large number of instances along with a bunch of Roland cloud VSTS, 909 on drums and a bunch of my usual processors on group busses. I actually wasn't expecting that. It means i can use it across quite a number of things.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi. External Sidechains. The state of the union is such that this has to be implemented per-host, and it's not all necessarily possible: VST3 might work out ok. AU I suspect is a no-go. AAX is a no-go. VST2 is random and host-dependent. How many additional sidechains do people want, and which hosts (and versions) are we talking about here?

Furthermore, to motivate me into doing it: Given that you can pan L+R on the stereo sidechain input (which gets you the vocal and bass fully separated), and you can then set the SC inputs to monitor them exclusively, and you also have the main input... what's missing from the picture? If your SCEQ isn't being sufficiently selective, please increase the LPF/HPF filter slopes! Or set the mid band to BPF.

If there's a demonstrable case where you could achieve greatness by having this feature, then we'll definitely pursue it, but as yet I'm not clear on what's missing.

Dave.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What's a sidechain?

I'm just kidding, btw. Please don't answer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi. External Sidechains. The state of the union is such that this has to be implemented per-host, and it's not all necessarily possible: VST3 might work out ok. AU I suspect is a no-go. AAX is a no-go. VST2 is random and host-dependent. How many additional sidechains do people want, and which hosts (and versions) are we talking about here?

Furthermore, to motivate me into doing it: Given that you can pan L+R on the stereo sidechain input (which gets you the vocal and bass fully separated), and you can then set the SC inputs to monitor them exclusively, and you also have the main input... what's missing from the picture? If your SCEQ isn't being sufficiently selective, please increase the LPF/HPF filter slopes! Or set the mid band to BPF.

If there's a demonstrable case where you could achieve greatness by having this feature, then we'll definitely pursue it, but as yet I'm not clear on what's missing.

Dave.
Thanks for the insight Dave.

It's more for a super quick and easy workflow. Rather than splitting channels or creating specific busses/routings, you could ping multiple sources directly to Multiplicity and use them individually within the plugin, without even needing to play with the internal SC EQ etc (or using multiple instances). There's a lot of steps saved there.

Vocals and kick were two random examples, sources are often stereo.

I'll give BPF a pop, thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Dave.
Agreed. I can access extra inputs on Melda's MXXX in Tracktion Waveform, but until then, i had no idea it was even possible (due to other DAWs working so differently) so i can imagine that would be a nightmare.

What about the ability to blend Ext and Band? That can be useful sometimes. I use it in the Ableton compressor (i.e use external kick signal mixed with bass signal to compress bass)
I suppose the argument against that is 'use another band'
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
What's a sidechain?

Which DAW has the better sounding sidechain?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
Which DAW has the better sounding sidechain?
The sidechain in Harrison Mixbus has a distinct analog feel/warmth, but the Reaper sidechain is much more CPU efficient. Dangerous Music makes a sidechain box, but at $2,500 US it makes more sense to use the PA plug which gets you 93% of the way there. Personally I don't sidechain because The Beatles didn't sidechain.
Old 4 weeks ago
What really has me freaking out about this thing is the transient shaping, it really brings out some pop in many sources without getting strident, and using the gain reduction limiter on transient expansion is like a dream come true!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
The sidechain in Harrison Mixbus has a distinct analog feel/warmth, but the Reaper sidechain is much more CPU efficient. Dangerous Music makes a sidechain box, but at $2,500 US it makes more sense to use the PA plug which gets you 93% of the way there. Personally I don't sidechain because The Beatles didn't sidechain.
Makes sense, maybe open a thread about it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Dave.
I think the problem here is the difference in points of view. Dave looks at this plugin as at "technical solutions maker", those who want multiexternal sch look at the thing as at a creative tool. And I'm with the second group. This plugin could be so much more with the feature. At least it'll be a "groove monster". Just try to think in this direction: you could use any element of your drums as a trigger for different dynamic processors(compressor+gate+transient shaper+expander+frequency dependence+...) with different values of all of those parameters. And you know what? You can add to this already existed sch ways. Oh, almost forgot - every parameter could be automated. This will become a main "go-to" for 1000s producers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dave.
Thats a really cool idea the use of sending 2 totally different things (whether they be a stereo source or not, this should not matter for SC) to a (mono) L side of a stereo Buss and another to the R side and combine and split them back out by selecting L or R of the SC input in the plugin. Yeah doing it that way could effectively give you two sidechain inputs instead of one. I never thought about doing something so fancy. I would usually just open separate plugin instances to do something like that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I think the problem here is the difference in points of view. Dave looks at this plugin as at "technical solutions maker", those who want multiexternal sch look at the thing as at a creative tool. And I'm with the second group. This plugin could be so much more with the feature. At least it'll be a "groove monster". Just try to think in this direction: you could use any element of your drums as a trigger for different dynamic processors(compressor+gate+transient shaper+expander+frequency dependence+...) with different values of all of those parameters. And you know what? You can add to this already existed sch ways. Oh, almost forgot - every parameter could be automated. This will become a main "go-to" for 1000s producers.
I´ve heard the resulting music in last night´s nightmare
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is there a specific reason one sidechain source is considered the norm in the digital world, or is it just habit from HW days? Multiple sources feels intuitive; 1:1 relationship between band and SC.

One plugin (instance!) to rule them all
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
I´ve heard the resulting music in last night´s nightmare
I bet it was a sweet nightmare ;D
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I bet it was a sweet nightmare ;D
Of course!

I was at Abbey Road in April 1967 and all of a sudden...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hofa IqEq offers multi side chain iirc. But the interface needs modernising
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Slaughter View Post
Hofa IqEq offers multi side chain iirc.
I just read the manual, there's nothing in there that suggests it does (granted, it could have been added without being in the manual). Anyone with any more info on this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think the problem here is the difference in points of view. Dave looks at this plugin as at "technical solutions maker", those who want multiexternal sch look at the thing as at a creative tool.
This isn't the case, the problem is so far nobody has come up with a demonstration of a plausible use for multiple sidechains. Since, as Dave explained prior, implementation will be problematic (because most DAWs don't support multiple inputs), we need to understand how it might be used prior to getting too far down this path.

It could be that nothing does this because it's practically not a thing worth doing, or it might be that we're just not yet aware of techniques that can leverage multiple external sidechains. You could accomplish this with multiple instances, it would be great if someone could show us something that demonstrates that having two or more external sidechains acting upon a stereo track achieving something that can't be achieved with the current system.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

EDIT: deleting my overly verbose rambling stream of consciousness containing a bunch of apparently mostly useless questions I can answer on my own.

Last edited by uarte; 3 weeks ago at 06:14 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search