The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio announces the WA-84 Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does this mic have a nickel capsule?
Old 3 weeks ago
MYN
Gear Maniac

Ok, so I got a chance to chat with Bryce at NAMM today. First off, what a super nice guy. We talked about the WA-84 and he told me that the capsule is interchangeable with an actual KM-84 capsule. So you can use the Neumann capsule if you have one or swap out your broken Neumann KM-84 capsule with theirs. I thought that was pretty cool. I know some of you were wondering about that.

Also, we talked a bit about the transformer, which is a Cinemag CM-5722. The way Bryce described how the Cinemag sounds as "a bit more focused" than the Haufe BV-107 in the Neumann KM84 he owns personally. That, of course, is not an uncommon observation when it comes to Cinemags in general. I didn't ask how "exact" the circuit was in comparison to the original, but again, the KM84 circuit is not terribly complicated so overall, it's not a longshot that the WM-84 will be another successful product for Warm.

And, no, I did not listen to the mic. It was set up, as were all their mics, but if you've ever been to NAMM, with the cacophonous background noise everywhere on the show floor, it's impossible to really hear what mics sound like.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Interested how this will compare to the Beesneez Lulu and other 84 inspired mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
You know what’s awesome about a patronizing know it all like you? You put it out there like you’re some kind of expert so when you post here showing off your knowledge, what you actually achieve is demonstrating to the world how little you actually understand.

Hey genius, the vents on a KM84 are there to shape the HF response, not the polar pattern. That is why anyone who actually has experience with these mics would know that the Omni KK83, cardioid KK84, and supercardioid KK85 capsules are all interchangeable with the KMi amplifier body.

So go ahead and bury your face in your hand, but next time make sure you tie your clown shoes first.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Damage View Post
You know what’s awesome about a patronizing know it all like you? You put it out there like you’re some kind of expert so when you post here showing off your knowledge, what you actually achieve is demonstrating to the world how little you actually understand.

Hey genius, the vents on a KM84 are there to shape the HF response, not the polar pattern. That is why anyone who actually has experience with these mics would know that the Omni KK83, cardioid KK84, and supercardioid KK85 capsules are all interchangeable with the KMi amplifier body.

So go ahead and bury your face in your hand, but next time make sure you tie your clown shoes first.
Of course, you are right. What you didn't see in the follow up post with the emoji was the hand smacking myself in the forehead before it came to rest.

Thanks for the second smack down... I probably deserved it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Not likely. KM84 has gold/mylar. You need go back to KM54 to have a nickel membrane.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Not likely. KM84 has gold/mylar. You need go back to KM54 to have a nickel membrane.
Oh of course, sorry I was confusing the models. Loved the KM54!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh of course, sorry I was confusing the models. Loved the KM54!
Still the most detailed mic I've ever used.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Looks pretty good, can't wait to find a used pair someday.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Was there a definite answer to the question about interchangeable capsules?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
Was there a definite answer to the question about interchangeable capsules?
See post #32
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianolando View Post
See post #32
That answers about switching with Neumann capsules, but does that include switching with other pattern capsules?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I think it's several dollars.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That answers about switching with Neumann capsules, but does that include switching with other pattern capsules?
I definitely meant different polar patterns. Could be a really interesting product
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Still the most detailed mic I've ever used.
Absolutely. Loved it on acoustic guitar...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well I’ll say this, last time I bought a stereo pairof KM84’s for Blackdog studio the broker sent me 8 vintage ones to try (all he had at the time), guess what? All 8 sounded different from one another. These things do not age the same. I kept the two that sounded best and closest to my ears and sent the rest back. Do this enough times with microphones and you realize there is no matching to an original one... unless that original one was kept out of circulation it’s whole like. Even then from non use the sound might change.

Close to a decent sounding one is the most anybody can hope for.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These Warm iterations would sound like new 84s, and at that time when they were new they didn't have such varying voices as what you'll hear with vintage specimens. As you said, it'll be tough to compare a new Warm to a new Neumann, but that won't much matter since 84s were great mics from Day One. Assuming Warm pulls it off and gives us "that" sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Well, I received an email a few days ago from Warm Audio, informing me that I won the drawing for a single WA-84 at NAMM!! Pretty stoked!! They said it should ship to me soon. Really looking forward to hearing this mic, specifically on acoustic guitar. I already have the Beesneez Lulu fets, and Octava mk102's modded by Michael Joly, so i'm looking forward to a little shoot out through our Chameleon Labs 7602 xmod pres.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

A few are shipping. My reservation is one of them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Generator View Post
Well, I received an email a few days ago from Warm Audio, informing me that I won the drawing for a single WA-84 at NAMM!! Pretty stoked!! They said it should ship to me soon. Really looking forward to hearing this mic, specifically on acoustic guitar. I already have the Beesneez Lulu fets, and Octava mk102's modded by Michael Joly, so i'm looking forward to a little shoot out through our Chameleon Labs 7602 xmod pres.
Congrats! Please post your results!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Generator View Post
I have a Joly´s oktava too and would like to know your impressions!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have one on the way for evaluation.
Old 1 week ago
Interesting for sure, but if it's really just a 3U Audio Warbler 127 C-Flat with a different body and tranny, I don't think it's gonna be a serious challenge to a well maintained KM-84. I say that as someone who has lived with both for a while, and chose to sell the 3U. Just my two cents.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Interesting for sure, but if it's really just a 3U Audio Warbler 127 C-Flat with a different body and tranny, I don't think it's gonna be a serious challenge to a well maintained KM-84.
That's purely GS speculation. Warm claims (with nomenclature that's under debate) that the circuit is faithful to the KM84, though components will vary, of course, so the best thing to do is wait for it to be released and then make judgments/comparisons. Personally, I'd rather not compare since it will likely be worse, or better, than an 84 for similar applications. The cost will be far less, so we can't expect a $1,500+ vintage 84. Warm's record shows that they make solid products for their market.
Old 1 week ago
But it's called an 84, direct comparisons are invited.

I sold my Warbler 127 C-Flats and CM3s after I got my KM84s. There was really no comparison. Call it precognition, but I'm predicting it will be the same for these.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There is no one KM84 sound anymore... too many years have passed with the microphones in real world use.

If it’s close I’ll be more than happy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
There is no one KM84 sound anymore... too many years have passed with the microphones in real world use.

That echoes the point I was making about comparisons. Of course they'll be made, but ultimately it won't matter how it compares if the mic records well. We know what a KM84 shined on -- if the Warm covers these applications to a similar degree then it's going to be considered a success.
Old 1 week ago
eb7
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
You won't be the only one. A lot of us are looking forward to hearing what you think.
Old 1 week ago
Hoping Warm will make Omni capsules so I can put them on my KM84s, AFAIK the KK83 capsules aren't available from Neumann any more.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Interesting for sure, but if it's really just a 3U Audio Warbler 127 C-Flat with a different body and tranny, I don't think it's gonna be a serious challenge to a well maintained KM-84. I say that as someone who has lived with both for a while, and chose to sell the 3U. Just my two cents.
I hope it won't be like the 3U 127, there was an AB test against a real km84 and the high frequency 'zingg' on the km48 was so obvious, I really preferred that to the 127 myself.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search