The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mäag Audio Magnum-K compressor by Brainworx Dynamics Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Software Mäag Audio Magnum-K compressor by Brainworx

Fully endorsed and approved by Mäag Audio. Modeled by Brainworx.

The original MAGNUM-K™ hardware is a single-channel Compressor built to complement the audio engineer’s craft. It is comprised of two serial compressor sections (MAGNUM COMP and K COMP), a very musical Parallel EQ (with LMF and Mäag's signature AIR BAND®), plus a Soft Limit (soft limiter).

In cooperation with Brainworx this design was turned into a convincing plugin, whereas the concept was taken to the next level. BX added L/R and M/S Stereo capabilities, injected 20 different, analog channels utilizing their patent-pending TMT (Tolerance Modeling Technology) and several convenient plugin-only features like M/S Stereo Width, Mono-Maker etc.

Whether putting the finishing touches on a 2-mix or making a vocal sound bigger than life without taking your head off; the MAGNUM-K will help elevate your craft.

Welcome to compression nirvana and sonic bliss. Welcome to the Mäag Audio MAGNUM-K Compressor where bigger sound, quicker workflow, and outstanding control were designed help you achieve your audio goals.

BIGGER SOUND

The MAGNUM-K Compressor helps quieter sonic signatures become as big as you want them to be while simultaneously reigning in those louder, more dominant tones.

QUICKER WORKFLOW

Tuning a MAGNUM-K Compressor is quick and easy, reducing your overall workflow time.

OUTSTANDING CONTROL

The MAGNUM-K offers outstanding control from its transparent INPUT ATTN (attenuator) and INPUT GAIN controls, to its SIDECHAIN capabilities and MAKEUP GAIN.

TMT INCLUDED

The Maag MAGNUM-K offers 20 different channels, made possible by TMT.

TMT takes the real-world tolerances of audio components found in audio circuits into account and offers various channels of analog audio which have realistic variances in frequency response, time constants in dynamic sections, etc.

TMT is the same ground-breaking technology that can be found in the console emulations by Brainworx (SSL 4000 E & G, for example).

The result is digital audio that sounds as analog as possible, whereas even the L/R channels of a stereo instance will react slightly different, giving you wide and realistic analog sound in your computer!

FEATURES

2 compressor sections, Magnum Comp and K Comp

Musical-sounding parallel EQ with LMF and Maag's signature Air Band
Soft Limiter

Faithfully modelled, endorsed and approved by Mäag Audio

Stereo version in addition to the original mono version

DRY/WET parameter for parallel mix

20 different, analog TMT channels

M/S mode inclusive Solo M and Solo S

Maag Audio Magnum-K - Plugin Alliance
Old 4 weeks ago
You can never have too many compressors

Sounds nice, I wish the GUI could be enlarged...

Edit: Great on snares and vocals, but I can achieve similar results with other plugins (alongside EQ2 which I already own), I'll save my money this time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just invested money in the Iron and then this one pops up.
I dare not take home the demo...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hehehe, this is soooo nice! As I said many times over. New and exciting times!

I just finished two weeks period time demoing IRON which I bought and now I am happy to try this one.

Anyways, Brainworx and PA have some serious stuff and they do produce really good software so there is a good cahnce I demo and buy this one too.

Go Brainworx! Go PA!

Krešo
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just gave it a first try quickly. My first impressions :

- Really clean aliasing wise. The K-Comp section is a mess tho in that regard. Messes up with the signal quite a lot (I know what the K Comp is suppose to do, don't worry ). The Soft Clip part is quite clean.

- The overall sound is really clean. As an hardware piece I can see how this could be useful. Plugin wise I am less sure. Although the EQ section included is a very cool bonus.

- Love the bx mono/stereo tool. Although the TMT function does imbalance the L/R channel quite a lot, even check with an analyzer and it's kind of "crazy" the way it does. I'd recommend not using it for mixbus/mastering duties (it's not meant for that but still good to notice it).

- It's not a piece meant to do some heavy gain reduction. You have to push quite a lot of volume into to have serious GR (especially in FB mode). High GR could be useful for numerous application (parallel percussive elements, bass etc...). In that regard, you have to push the input trim, which forces you to use another trim plugin after to level match. It's not the end of the world tho, but still something I noticed.

In mixbus situation it is quite cool for clean compression. Although with Kotelnikov, clean compression duties are already covered (and for free or cheaper), so despite the nice features I am not sure about it again ^^.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The key guyz is the high freq compressor !!! love it !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

So Im trying it right now and I was about to buy the Iron today. Decided to get this one instead! Its an all around plugin with that eq and comp. Though I dont like how the Kcomp Breaks up.
Dirk & PA can you put a proper trim/output gain knob here? Come on, for your prices why only put gain knobs that raises volume, The Input Raises the volume and then the Make Up Gain raises it again. Nothing where I could trim down the overall gain of this plugin?

Again finally something I could buy from you! Cant wait for the heavy hitter discount before the month ends!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

More PA hype.

Does this one actually deliver on it though? (They usually don't... much like Waves; both companies seem to make very cold/harsh sounding plugs other than the ones coded by the guy from Black Rooster)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
More PA hype.

Does this one actually deliver on it though? (They usually don't... much like Waves; both companies seem to make very cold/harsh sounding plugs other than the ones coded by the guy from Black Rooster)
PA haves love of plugins coded by Ray. New releases included, like Phil's Cascade.

It's curious that you like so much BRA, Fuse and not PA.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
More PA hype.

I agree about the "PA Hype" here. Don't believe it and try it for yourself.

If you don't have the time to try it : It's one of the most aliasing free compressor I have used for now. If you stick to the compressor section.
K-comp section is, IMHO, gross. It aliases like crazy, the saturation of it is nasty and unpleasant to my ears (a bit like SPL Iron plugins when it saturates).
The soft clip section is relatively clean for software soft clipper and comes handy.

The plugin need a global output knob for gainstaging. as you can only increases the output with it. And you will need quite a lot of volume going on if you want to reach high GR (even when reducing the headroom). Without that IN/OUT knob, it makes it a bit harder to use and properly level match when doing heavy compression which, IMHO, would be a bad thing to sell at an expensive price without (I can see it be in the 200-300 price range full price, and with that price you can maybe ask for a proper output knob, even though I am doubting it will happen as for the 254E which only have 2 dbs increments output knob).

Sound wise the EQ is really cool and handy. It is sounding as expected. For subtle moves, 1 / 2 db boost here and there, the plugins in good enough. If you wanna boost more, the hardware will show his advantages. But for small boost the plugin is hitting the mark brilliantly IMO.

The compressor now is..... clean. That's all I have to say about it for now. Versatile.
Is it better that the competition, in my opinion I haven't found it is yet.
As I said earlier. For versatility, clean compression and aliasing free action you can have TDR Kotelnikov for free or really cheap. And it can do everything this compressor can do, features wise.
In terms of sound, I am going to compare them after the sessions tonight during my spare time.

I never really understood the interest of emulating clean hardware in a plugin. I mean, sometimes "clean" unit aren't and have certain characteristics that make them appealing (like the Millenia compressor sound, the SPL Iron which in my opinion they hadn't well modeled his sonic footprint but nailed its action and behaviour globally).
But in that case, it is really just a super clean and versatile compressor.
Which is amazing to have as an hardware piece.

But worth it as plugin ? I don't know.

The cool addition is the Bx_control included into it. The mono-maker and stereo widener is cool to have with you. But again, it is something you can also have for free with another plugin manufacturer.
Same MS can be done for free to.

The TMT is a good idea but it really imbalances your L/R balance. You can see it on the VU of your DAW or any analyser. I find the idea gimmicky but cool in a way, but here I can't really see how it will be useful to unbalance a stereo track like this. Maybe it can be useful in like 2% of the mixing situations you will encounter and yet...

All in all I feel this one is a good offering as a "bundle" : Maag compressor + Maag EQ piece + K Comp (even if I really don't like it and it is really doing no good to the signal with this plugin IMO) + Bx_control.

But I am still waiting for the comparison with Kotelnikov since I already have free tools to replace Bx_control, I don't like K Comp section and I already get the Maag EQ2 (for free again with an interface some moons ago).

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
K-comp section is, IMHO, gross. It aliases like crazy, the saturation of it is nasty and unpleasant to my ears (a bit like SPL Iron plugins when it saturates).
i checked this out quickly...the K-comp section can have some "issues" similar to Iron's compression...fwiw.
i won't bother posting any details or analysis here, just thought i'd let you know i see some bad stuff going on...
(ie...don't drive that section too hard...)

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 4 weeks ago at 01:43 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Brainworx lost me after their BX_Refinement snake oil plugin...They still sell it for $199...Too much for basically a one band subtractive EQ, IMHO.

Like someone said, they're pretty much like waves. A lot of their stuff can be easily replicated using your DAW's standard tools...They just wrap it all with nice GUIs with glowing tubes and call it "new product".

Of course, there are some good stuff here and there, yes, but most of it is just hype.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok guyz , let's do the things like it's supposed to be done , after reading all that aliasing moaning , i decided to test it on my own , and i've found the falloing

SPL Iron clean

Maag : clean

Why ?

Well aliasing occurs when you get closer to the upper edges of spectrum , one thing YOU GUYZ seems to forget , is that when you do so in a REAL situation , no way your signal hits 0 db at 5K !!!!!

So i got reference tracks , i know that are brights : Trevis scott , and some young thugs , stuff hot in gain and that have some highs , and leveles of high are more around - 30 at 5k (and it's a max)!!!!!!!!!!!

What i'm saying is that when i test at those values , SPL iron was super clean , and the magg was a little less just becuase i went crazy on the high freq compressor ....

So don't trust me and do the test ....i consider aliasing under -96 as a non issue imho !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You must be joking when you said PA is like waves. Nope just Nope. Different league IMHO. Of course not all their products are great, some are from the past. But again Nope. They bring something in the market that others dont. Id rather use something from PA/Brainworx than waves/slate/acustica combined.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Guyz you will be amazed how many blind test i did with friends where the all picked Renaissance comp instead of all the brands around .....i have zero issue with Waves , like all brand they do great stuff and some just ok ....

They back their product , their support is first class , they do stable releases , they cover pretty all areas in a solid manner , and their prices are now hard to beat ....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Ok guyz , let's do the things like it's supposed to be done , after reading all that aliasing moaning , i decided to test it on my own , and i've found the falloing

SPL Iron clean

Maag : clean

Why ?

Well aliasing occurs when you get closer to the upper edges of spectrum , one thing YOU GUYZ seems to forget , is that when you do so in a REAL situation , no way your signal hits 0 db at 5K !!!!!

So i got reference tracks , i know that are brights : Trevis scott , and some young thugs , stuff hot in gain and that have some highs , and leveles of high are more around - 30 at 5k (and it's a max)!!!!!!!!!!!

What i'm saying is that when i test at those values , SPL iron was super clean , and the magg was a little less just becuase i went crazy on the high freq compressor ....

So don't trust me and do the test ....i consider aliasing under -96 as a non issue imho !!

I am not moaning about aliasing haha, I just pointed it out. Also I pointed out that the Maag comp was really clean. Except with that K Comp part of it which is quite dirty.

Also I didn't tested aliasing at 0db at 5khz. I tested way lower than that regarding db. Because yeah, I will verrrry rarely have a track so hot to tweak. And still it can be reduce with a trim of needed.
So yeah ^^. Talking about aliasing is not moaning. We don't have to say that a new release is always good or up to our expectations regarding each own criteria ^^.

And regarding Rcomp, it is maybe my favourite product by Waves. With MV2 which is darn unique and useful.
I'll never snob Waves personally. Some products from them I don't like at all, some others I do really enjoy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not moaning about aliasing haha, I just pointed it out. Also I pointed out that the Maag comp was really clean. Except with that K Comp part of it which is quite dirty.

Also I didn't tested aliasing at 0db at 5khz. I tested way lower than that regarding db. Because yeah, I will verrrry rarely have a track so hot to tweak. And still it can be reduce with a trim of needed.
So yeah ^^. Talking about aliasing is not moaning. We don't have to say that a new release is always good or up to our expectations regarding each own criteria ^^.

And regarding Rcomp, it is maybe my favourite product by Waves. With MV2 which is darn unique and useful.
I'll never snob Waves personally. Some products from them I don't like at all, some others I do really enjoy.
WheelieR , it wasn't directed specifically to you , or anybody in particular , maybe moaning term was not well choosen , should i say focus ?

Brands are very aware of aliasing and different approaches are taking , some oversample , some use filters , some consider it marginal witch in most cases is true , Overloud for exemple are very aware of it and done tests to see the benefits of treating it or not .

Aliasing is really level dependant and treatment dependant , so a lot of scenarios possible .

I really don't mind talking aliasing and THIS is very important , but focusing on aliasing by driving a compressor like it will never be done isn't CORRECT .

brands do test like in real life , because they try to simulate real life HW behavior , driving a plugin that emulate a HW with conditions that the HW and the plugin will barelly never encouter in their normal use isn't showing anything imho !!
Old 4 weeks ago
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Talking about aliasing is not moaning. We don't have to say that a new release is always good or up to our expectations regarding each own criteria ^^.
I agree.

To me it looks like lately bx is lately going for efficiency/AAX DSP. It's a business after all and probably most of the buyers don't even know what aliasing is. Just check the SPL Iron thread where somebody asked if the hardware aliases.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
WheelieR , it wasn't directed specifically to you , or anybody in particular , maybe moaning term was not well choosen , should i say focus ?

Brands are very aware of aliasing and different approaches are taking , some oversample , some use filters , some consider it marginal witch in most cases is true , Overloud for exemple are very aware of it and done tests to see the benefits of treating it or not .

Aliasing is really level dependant and treatment dependant , so a lot of scenarios possible .

I really don't mind talking aliasing and THIS is very important , but focusing on aliasing by driving a compressor like it will never be done isn't CORRECT .

brands do test like in real life , because they try to simulate real life HW behavior , driving a plugin that emulate a HW with conditions that the HW and the plugin will barelly never encouter in their normal use isn't showing anything imho !!
No worries about "moaning", I understand now that you meant "focus". Which is, indeed, true haha !

I totally agree with you on everything you said. And that is well said. It will indeed sound gross when overdrive to death. Plugins will generate aliasing, hardware will generate damn disgusting clipping.

Although I try to take care of that and usually try around -12 / -18db.

Btw I am quite disappointed by the Overloud opinion about aliasing. Their plugins sound very good but aliases like crazy when pushed a little bit. And it's that their oversampling algorithm is quite bad.
But it is not impossible to overcome this. For instance Lindell 254E oversampling algorithm is quite good IMO and solve most of it if not all of it which is amazing (but it induces serious phase issues when used on a parallel aux, which is worrying me but it's another subject).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I agree.

To me it looks like lately bx is lately going for efficiency/AAX DSP. It's a business after all and probably most of the buyers don't even know what aliasing is. Just check the SPL Iron thread where somebody asked if the hardware aliases.
Agree, when talking about plugins, aliasing is an important subject to me as it is one of the thing that still differentiate hardware from software as their sound is getting better and better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

For those of us who are curious, can anyone who has done tests for aliasing post their settings and results? Over in the Ultimate Plugin Analysis thread maybe?

I'm considering buying this if I can get it cheap enough, just for the first compressor stage. So aliasing in the K comp wouldn't necessarily put me off. But I do like the pretty graphs and knowing more about what's happening in plugins.
Old 4 weeks ago
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agree, when talking about plugins, aliasing is an important subject to me as it is one of the thing that still differentiate hardware from software as their sound is getting better and better.
True. This is the sign that the customers are becoming more educated and some developers really seem to get it, while others are slower.

I see some still have a hard time understanding that aliasing happens, and 5db gr at 5k is not at all unrealistic on some sources (add emulated harmonic distortion and the related aliasing of this process to that) and things are getting worse, plus you bring it up with make up gain and it accumulates over many tracks, generating a blur, something that plays a part in what old school guys call 'the digital thing' (another one being the phase response). It's a lot harder to point in isolated examples, but it's something we fight with in dense mixes. That's why I chose to use really clean, cleverly designed plugins and my mixes never sounded better.

I suppose Ray from Fuse/BRA leaving the bx team is showing in the modelling philosophy adopted in their latest releases...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Guyz you will be amazed how many blind test i did with friends where the all picked Renaissance comp instead of all the brands around .....i have zero issue with Waves , like all brand they do great stuff and some just ok ....

They back their product , their support is first class , they do stable releases , they cover pretty all areas in a solid manner , and their prices are now hard to beat ....
Exactly.. and it’s good ole rock solid dependable coding. (People just love to hate something...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But it is not impossible to overcome this. For instance Lindell 254E oversampling algorithm is quite good IMO and solve most of it if not all of it which is amazing (but it induces serious phase issues when used on a parallel aux, which is worrying me but it's another subject).
you're right and you pointed out that oversampling does not resolve everything , i prefer to upsample my project instaed of some plugins oversampling as well ...

Like always the key is to know your tools and to know what to use when to use it or not .

One thing i learned real fast from start back then : the less plugins the better ...

Still true after 25 years !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
True. This is the sign that the customers are becoming more educated and some developers really seem to get it, while others are slower.

I see some still have a hard time understanding that aliasing happens, and 5db gr at 5k is not at all unrealistic on some sources (add emulated harmonic distortion and the related aliasing of this process to that) and things are getting worse, plus you bring it up with make up gain and it accumulates over many tracks, generating a blur, something that plays a part in what old school guys call 'the digital thing' (another one being the phase response). It's a lot harder to point in isolated examples, but it's something we fight with in dense mixes. That's why I chose to use really clean, cleverly designed plugins and my mixes never sounded better.

I suppose Ray from Fuse/BRA leaving the bx team is showing in the modelling philosophy adopted in their latest releases...
I agree about everything here.
Aliasing builds up. That explain why I am a bit disappointed about the Overloud policies regarding aliasing because their plugins have huge potential in my opinion.

I'd be interested about your "clean" plugin you use. I've found a few myself but will be interested about our choice. If don't mind discussing about this in MP to not pollute the thread.

Your point about Fuse/Bra leaving Bx can be logical but it's still highly hypothetical (I am pretty sure Ray could answer to this in private tho).

On the other hand, to stay in the subject, this Maag comp section of the plugin is really clean and seem really well designed in that regards. Now the only thing I need to look at is the sound of it. Is it worth to me spending more than 100 (I guess that's what I'll have to pay, I'd love be wrong haha).
I tried it briefly on mixbus and liked the results. But I liked the results as much I would like the results of well chosen settings with any clean comp.

In contrast with Iron (that I didn't buy), Iron seemed to have something interesting in its way to manage the low-end.
With this one I haven't find anything specific yet (I am talking only about the Comp section).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just to be straight 5db of GR on a 0 db 5K !! IS indeed unrealistic !!

the problem here is not the GR value witch is of cours realistic since i do it myself for exemple on the Lurssen de esser !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just to be straight 5db of GR on a 0 db 5K !! IS indeed unrealistic !!

the problem here is not the GR value witch is of cours realistic since i do it myself for exemple on the Lurssen de esser !!
Of course dude that is true.
Although we/he never mentioned doing it at 0db I think .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
you're right and you pointed out that oversampling does not resolve everything , i prefer to upsample my project instaed of some plugins oversampling as well ...

Like always the key is to know your tools and to know what to use when to use it or not .

One thing i learned real fast from start back then : the less plugins the better ...

Still true after 25 years !!
I, again, agree at 100% here haha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

check out low level signals when soft limit is engaged > https://i.imgur.com/4oY8e44.png

(i know i said i wouldn't post any analysis pics but this is too funny...)

*for those that don't know what that's showing...they are truncating the signal to 24 bit...
**SPL Iron truncates as well

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 3 weeks ago at 05:45 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
check out low level signals when soft limit is engaged > https://i.imgur.com/4oY8e44.png

(i know i said i wouldn't post any analysis pics but this is too funny...)

*for those that don't know what that's showing...they are truncating the signal to 24 bit...
If this is correct. The question is : why doing such a thing ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search