The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Free 1176 Hardware / Streamed Over The Internet Dynamics Plugins
View Poll Results: Have you tried the 1176 online?
Yes it was amazing
12 Votes - 46.15%
Yes it was ok
3 Votes - 11.54%
Yes it sucked
0 Votes - 0%
No I don't care about it
11 Votes - 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st January 2019
Here for the gear

Free 1176 Hardware / Streamed Over The Internet

Hey everyone,

When I was starting out with audio, I didn't have access to a hardware compressor. At my company Distopik Sound we decided to give away remote access to a real hardware 1176 so you can all give it a go and compare it with plugin emulations. It costs nothing. Check out this article for details:

https://blog.mixanalog.com/hardware-1176-blue-stripe-for-free

And here is the system in action as a sort of tutorial, so you can maybe see if this is worth checking out for you even before you reserve your slot:

To be honest, I get something out of this too. I want to smoke out the bugs in our system and get some feedback while you guys get some experience with something new and hopefully take back some great sounding bounces. Sounds like a fair deal to me, but let me know if it's against the rules or something. I do intend to keep the 1176 free for a long time though so this is not a scam.

For those saying we are running plugins behind the scenes, I know this isn't definite proof, but hopefully it helps

And a small tour of our machine room where the gear lives

So to sum up, you can shoot your CLA76 and FG76 plugins against this for free and can easily decide if analog is relevant in your life.

The 1176 we put online is a high quality clone of the blue stripe class A, made by following the original schematics and using a mix of modern and NOS components where it made sense. It does not have the LN "low noise" mod or other modifications except for digital control which is done similarly to how Bettermaker do it.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear
Just tried it and it works. Sounds good as well. I am getting a buzzing noise from the converter portion even with safe levels. Less audible once in actual compression but it is there. Without comparing directly with CLA76 or FG76 it definitely sounds like it passed through hardware and frankly the compression is what I expect. Interesting idea. The audio player could work a little smoother as any delay/pause eats away at booked session time.
Old 21st January 2019
Cloud hardware future
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut

Pretty Cool.
Old 22nd January 2019
LAU
Gear Maniac

Interesting concept....maybe it would be cool if other studio's/gear owners could use your technology as well...So you license the technology and membership of some sort and take a share.

In that way, your technology could become a service for gear owners, to make profit on their gear in dead time, and that would also make the database of available hardware a lot more extensive in a short time span...and the concept more popular etc.
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAU View Post
Interesting concept....maybe it would be cool if other studio's/gear owners could use your technology as well...So you license the technology and membership of some sort and take a share.

In that way, your technology could become a service for gear owners, to make profit on their gear in dead time, and that would also make the database of available hardware a lot more extensive in a short time span...and the concept more popular etc.
Agreed. I’d love to give a small commission to your company to have folks use my rig during off hours.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

A similar idea dropped into my head some years ago except it was done using custom remote robotic technology that was physically turning the knobs and pressing buttons in sync with the end user using a plugin controller over the internet. So the end user at home turns the ratio knob on a plugin to 2 and the remote tech turns the ratio knob on the physical hardware to 2. Someone has to do it it's just a matter of time I reckon. If I had the means, technical know-how and analog gear I would have done it myself.
Old 22nd January 2019
Here for the gear

If I recall correctly RackFX were trying to get such a business model going, the one that you buy some kind of servo automation kits, retrofit them yourself and monetize your own gear in downtime, but I don't see that getting much traction... It's quite an investment I suppose, especially in time, to set all that up yourself, and taking care of streaming and support people when something goes belly-up in the middle of the night but they paid for the processing etc...
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

An awesome and very crazy concept, it can be very good, or very bad.

The price of the entire infrastructure should not be cheap,

How do you process more than one track in parallel? you will need 1176 for each track.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

I like the idea and hope this company takes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I’d love to give a small commission to your company to have folks use my rig during off hours.
For the people who wish to provide their own equipment, if you watch the first video you’ll realize that they are modding the units so people can turn the knowbs remotely but they have to lose the front panel, the actual knobs are disconnected. Not sure I’d like that done to my equipment.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Very cool idea and implementation. I'm curious to try the Fairchild on a mastering session. Guess you can get close to the setting you want on plugins and then replicate with the real deal.
Old 22nd January 2019
Here for the gear

That's what I do most of the time - usually get a rough idea with the plugin on the mix bus and then finish it off on hardware. I use TAN or Slate Gray for the VCA and Slate Mu for the FC, although admittedly, the SSL seems to be modeled better, I've yet to come across a plugin that's at least "related" to the hardware enough that I would use it for a Fairchild "placeholder".

Last edited by Ziga; 22nd January 2019 at 03:07 PM..
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Just tried the 1176 on sn and room mic. It works really well and I found the room smash fast attack fast release sounded better than the UAD 1176A. Only little thing is the audio files seems to be a different lenght after the bounce so you have to manually align. Also the files where Phase reversed.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Addict
I have been contemplating creating such service for a long time. I am glad someone else has actually done it! Can't wait to try it when I get some spare time.

Last edited by elcct; 22nd January 2019 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut

I observed the same thing. The file after render is not the same lenght with the original
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbeat View Post
Just tried the 1176 on sn and room mic. It works really well and I found the room smash fast attack fast release sounded better than the UAD 1176A. Only little thing is the audio files seems to be a different lenght after the bounce so you have to manually align. Also the files where Phase reversed.
I'll have to check for phase but I did have to manually re-align the track as well. Can't imagine having to do that over and over. Listening to file again today, I can say with confidence it sounds better than any 1176 plugin Ive tried. Of course I had to do the obligatory comparison with my printed Aqua comp tracks which sound a bit choked in comparison. I'll have go back and play with the settings to see if I can get closer. Water holds up on the Vocal bus but I think for tracking I may have to get my hands on the real deal. I can see myself using the mastering rig from time to time if the few issues raised can be addressed.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Cool, might try this. Why not?

I'm pretty certain Doctormix did this with an LA2A a while ago. Maybe it wasn't free... I forget.
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
I'll have to check for phase but I did have to manually re-align the track as well. Can't imagine having to do that over and over. Listening to file again today, I can say with confidence it sounds better than any 1176 plugin Ive tried. Of course I had to do the obligatory comparison with my printed Aqua comp tracks which sound a bit choked in comparison. I'll have go back and play with the settings to see if I can get closer. Water holds up on the Vocal bus but I think for tracking I may have to get my hands on the real deal. I can see myself using the mastering rig from time to time if the few issues raised can be addressed.
I’m guessing you haven’t tried it against Tim P U76? I got my files pretty close on 8:1 ratio with vocals - there wasn’t a clear winner. The U76 almost had more weight! Couldn’t match the distortion in All Buttons Mode on Bass though. Interestingly, I tried Softube FET and thought I’d nailed it over the hardware - couldn’t believe what I was hearing, only to discover I also had Viridian Comp 3 enabled in series on the same track!!

This is a great service though - can see myself using it with a few tweaks.
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadc0de View Post
Hey everyone,

When I was starting out with audio, I didn't have access to a hardware compressor. At my company Distopik Sound we decided to give away remote access to a real hardware 1176 so you can all give it a go and compare it with plugin emulations. It costs nothing. Check out this article for details:

https://blog.mixanalog.com/hardware-1176-blue-stripe-for-free

And here is the system in action as a sort of tutorial, so you can maybe see if this is worth checking out for you even before you reserve your slot:

To be honest, I get something out of this too. I want to smoke out the bugs in our system and get some feedback while you guys get some experience with something new and hopefully take back some great sounding bounces. Sounds like a fair deal to me, but let me know if it's against the rules or something. I do intend to keep the 1176 free for a long time though so this is not a scam.

For those saying we are running plugins behind the scenes, I know this isn't definite proof, but hopefully it helps

And a small tour of our machine room where the gear lives

So to sum up, you can shoot your CLA76 and FG76 plugins against this for free and can easily decide if analog is relevant in your life.

The 1176 we put online is a high quality clone of the blue stripe class A, made by following the original schematics and using a mix of modern and NOS components where it made sense. It does not have the LN "low noise" mod or other modifications except for digital control which is done similarly to how Bettermaker do it.
The service is great, thanks. Would it be possible for the file names to show when you’ve uploaded WAVs? At the moment, if you name the song and artist, all of the uploads have the same name and you have no way of knowing which file is which. Obviously, under song name you could enter extra text with the instrument/track name but it would be more sensible to see the name of the files next to the other info.

I also found it hard to get enough gain into the compressor in some cases - this was with audio recorded at sensible levels.
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys!

Because of your feedback here, we moved the file length issue to a high priority task and will try to get it ironed out in a week or two max (it does require a careful revision of the bounce process). After all, we are trying to save you tweaking time by providing great-sounding tools, and if you then waste that time micro-aligning a drum room track to make the parallel mix work as intended, then what's the use?

Also, the 1176 polarity will be fixed on a couple of days, when half of our team returns from Denmark's SoundHub accelerator.

All in all, thank you if you gave it a go and provided feedback! If not yet, you're welcome to, it's free to try (and to use, if you're ok with the 1176 alone) and we would love to hear more feedback from you, to get it even easier to use and a more enjoyable experience.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

So cool. I have a slot later and will vote afterwards. Thank you, guys!
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

HW manufacturers should get a version of this system for demo purposes, making it easier to get a taste of the equipment, using your own material.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

LOVE the mastering rack. The 1176 is a noisy beast though, or am i using it wrong? Only had a quick try.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by man in the house View Post
LOVE the mastering rack. The 1176 is a noisy beast though, or am i using it wrong? Only had a quick try.
You're probably using it just fine... The infamous Bluestripe is pretty noisy

Even my AudioScape 76A (based on the same circuit as what's offered here and about as close as you can get to an original without paying an arm and a leg) can impart a decent amount of noise when you push the input fairly high!

Thanks for the freebie guys; always liked the idea and your system in general is GREAT. Early-Adopter here, been messing around with mix:analog almost since it's first release.

The Telefunken M15 Tape Machine is absolutely MAGICAL!!!!
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Yeah, gonna start using it often I guess.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear
Used the tape earlier today. After hearing it on my material I have a lot more respect for what Taupe was able to pull off. On familiar ground here sonically without a doubt. But darn, I have to say it again, this process although clunky gives me a slight step up in quality. Moving forward, mixing ITB with my favorite plugins then off to the Telefunken Tape interests me once the process has been more streamlined.

The mastering rig is very tempting as well but could get pricey as the bounces do take a considerable amount of time along with finding settings.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

First, thanks for offering this incredible piece of hardware at no cost. It sounds close to my hardware 76 clone. In fact, for mixing I'm not even going to bother hooking the 76 up...at least until this isn't free to use anymore.

So, I see that you can shift and click the ratio buttons for the all in "nuke mode" trick. Is there a way to do all ratio buttons out? Sometimes I like to pass signals through it without any compression.

If you are still taking hardware suggestions, Stam Audio's upcoming SA-23A + would be a great addition to your services. Stam Audio

One last bit of feedback...the blue stripe is missing from MIX:ANALOG - Gear | Real-time Online ANALOG Audio Processing

Peace.
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Wow, this is a tough crowd. A company is letting everyone cloud rent THE hardware compressor and crickets? You all are losing your sluttiness! Is it because it's free?

Perhaps they should have charged a buck per 15 minutes? LOL!

Just 2 1/2 years ago there was a 25 pages long thread for an 1176 blue stripe plugin and you had to spend $25/month minimum ($149 for a permanent license) to use it. Slate Digital Releases the FG-116 BLUE Series FET Compressors

This thread should be 10 pages long at this point. But hey, that's fine. I'll use Mix Analog's blue stripe all by myself! They also have a sweet buss compressor to use too.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Normally I cannot help myself and buy any new plugin compressor that someone is raving about. For a long time I have thought about and wished for a service like this. Now that we have one and more will likely follow, I have already managed to resist buying 3 new plugin compressors which has already saved me $250. Now if you could please add a LTL Silver Bullet, SSL Fusion and Tegeler Creme that would save me about 10k thanks.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Cool, might try this. Why not?

I'm pretty certain Doctormix did this with an LA2A a while ago. Maybe it wasn't free... I forget.
I remember some guy in the computer section here was offering the same service here a while back as well. I remember a Fairchild was one of the hardware units but I don't remember the rest. In any case good to see this as well and I hope it catches on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search