The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx Dynamics Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Sooo the HW being a stereo unit, where does those 20 channel of TMT come from?

Edit:

**** bmanic just beat me to it :D
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Write to PA support and explain your situation.
I am sure they'll come up with something nice.

thank you, i did and their customer service solved it in the most pleasant way.
respect to PA, that was fantastic service !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A chance that everybody don't appreciate the same stuff !!

A lot of plugins IS a problem when you don't fully master them and know their sonic print and terroitory to the bone !! once you do , you actually have OPTIONS to cover ALL your needs /scenarios

PRoblem start when you already go next purchase before even mastering last one /

For Iron , the chance for me was to beta test it , so decision was easy based on a lot of time with it , so no honey moon or some

In person i fully know what combinaisons make wonders and so i'm very straight when it comes to sessions choosing the A to B road the most optimised , efficient , FUN and great sounding, thanks to HOURS of plugins testing A/Bing fun ect (witch is why i do think that all those new release testing , A/B , reviews , critics are exellent Pedagogicaly speaking)

A good HW / plugin /tool is not only a processor but also an assistant with the designer mentality , so A/B has a limit i clearly know , because in real Pro sessions and work i barely never do dat , and i judge the "road" that the processor suggest to see if my "assistant" is driving me fast and closest or making it even more difficult !

It reminds me SSL Fusion , everything can be done with different processor , but the design and the logic of the unit makes you cross the road real fast in the most beautyfull way

This is the feeling i had with this guy , i didn't spent 30 day abeing with all my comps , but sure i did some , you know me

Arousor , SSL Duende , BX townhouse , Acme , El Rey , Novatron , Alpha comp , Vertigo , Mpressor , Softubes (TLA , CL1 B ect)

First trying to match ,then just fast instnctive real wor style mod aka insert and tweak .... and this is when i smiled a lot and he really made it !!!

Another exemple (perfect opposit ) is the shadow hill witch is a mystery for me , never liked it and the price of the HW is just crazy , it reminds a car where you put all the crazyest features with no soul lie a Maserati or an Aston Martin with no disrespect to the man behind who is brlliant , this is just the way 'm tryng to stupidly explan my mind in a non mother langage !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Thanks I appreciate your help.
But it really doesn't make sense me doing that.

Why it doesn't?
Cause every other project that I do, that doesn't have any PA plugins have zero issues either on mac or pc.
I even made a video for them where I think i had six audio tracks and 4 bx consoles and it glitched like crazy.
I can have projects on this same computer with tens of audio, instrument etc using softube, fuse audio, slate, dmg audio, fab filter, uaudio (yes I know that is dsp), etc all coexisting and exporting and playing fine....once I add a PA, the whole thing glitches whether it is tens of tracks or even one or two.

Dropbox - pa spike apple tv.m4v

(no audio) but you can see when it spikes on the asio meter)
PC Did similar but not as often and of course it is always easier for me to do screen recordings on mac than pc which is why I did it on mac to show them.

Thanks though.
rsp
Are others VST 3 ? PA also ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Another exemple (perfect opposit ) is the shadow hill witch is a mystery for me , never liked it and the price of the HW is just crazy , it reminds a car where you put all the crazyest features with no soul lie a Maserati or an Aston Martin with no disrespect to the man behind who is brlliant , this is just the way 'm tryng to stupidly explan my mind in a non mother langage !
Interestingly I also dislike the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor.. that one is frustratingly weird in it's compression action (the VCA part). I always find myself having to lean very heavily on the opto side before hitting the weird VCA comp or it just all goes strange.

The SHMC does however have an absolutely gorgeous "box tone" with quite flexible choises and amount of drive, which is not at all the case with the SPL Iron. SPL Iron doesn't sound bad per say but it's definitely not sounding "expensive" in the way some other Vari-Mu designs sound and I've heard quite a few truly expensive sounding ones like the Knif and Fairman TMC.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Sooo the HW being a stereo unit, where does those 20 channel of TMT come from?

Edit:

**** bmanic just beat me to it :D
It is possible that they analyzed 10 different SPL Iron hardware units? Though I doubt it. TMT is most likely just randomized slightly varying tolerances for the various component models.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
This is Gearslutz, not GearHobo. How does one expect to be a “slut” if he doesn’t spend some money?
As of today no further price discussions on Gearslutz. For price discussions please head over to our sister site Priceslutz.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Been demoing this for a couple of hours and have for the most part been able to figure it out. Where I'm disappointed, considering all the stuff PA added into this, is there's no way to unlink the channels like you can in the elysia alpha comp. You can unlink the controls but not the compressor sections so each side responds accordingly. Almost a must when using mid/side. My other heartburn is something people mentioned earlier in this thread and that's the 2dB steps on the input & output controls.

The sound is quite good and it's one of two mastering compressors I have that can pull a ton of gain reduction on piano and choir vocals and not sound like ****e - stays musical. That other comp is the Millenia TCL2 in tube mode also from PA.

Will I buy it - not sure as I have until the end of the month for both the HH coupon and $50 voucher. The price isn't the issue but the things I outlined above.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
What's the problem? Stop buying new plugins you don't need.

I'm still very tempted to get this due to the heavy hitter discount and my January voucher. Somebody help me get rid of this gearslutty sickness.
You attempted to help yourself with the very first sentence of your post It's interesting to see a less-than-enthusiastic review of SPL IRON from a respected gearslut.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is possible that they analyzed 10 different SPL Iron hardware units? Though I doubt it. TMT is most likely just randomized slightly varying tolerances for the various component models.
Only one unit gets analyzed. The TMT part comes from taking into account the component tolerances. Say resistors at 1% or 5% tolerance, capacitors at similar tolerances, etc.
Old 1 week ago
My impression of the implementation of TMT here is that it's intended to be an option in a mix context; one instance on the stereo bus set to channels 1-2, and then any other instances used on busses etc. can be set to other channel pairs so as to avoid sending sources through the same exact compressor repeatedly. No idea if that would actually make a difference, but I guess it's easy enough to randomize the channels before tweaking settings.

It seems that you're not really even expected to try channels other than 1-2 in mastering.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
You attempted to help yourself with the very first sentence of your post It's interesting to see a less-than-enthusiastic review of SPL IRON from a respected gearslut.
Well like I said, my preference was already determined by the actual hardware itself. I can't fault the plugin.. it's very well done for sure.

Oh one thing that bugged me a lot. Why on earth couldn't Brainworx add a damn digital output volume control?? It's such an important feature for any plugin and they completely skipped it but added a bunch of other less important (in my opinion) stuff instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Only one unit gets analyzed. The TMT part comes from taking into account the component tolerances. Say resistors at 1% or 5% tolerance, capacitors at similar tolerances, etc.
So exactly as I guessed.. random. That's how their TMT sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
My impression of the implementation of TMT here is that it's intended to be an option in a mix context; one instance on the stereo bus set to channels 1-2, and then any other instances used on busses etc. can be set to other channel pairs so as to avoid sending sources through the same exact compressor repeatedly. No idea if that would actually make a difference, but I guess it's easy enough to randomize the channels before tweaking settings.

It seems that you're not really even expected to try channels other than 1-2 in mastering.
Yeah but that's the thing, even channels 1-2 seem a bit too far apart from what I would expect. I much prefer it set to a single channel only, sounded more coherent and closer to the hardware (which had ridiculously closely matched channels!).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where I'm disappointed, considering all the stuff PA added into this, is there's no way to unlink the channels like you can in the elysia alpha comp. You can unlink the controls but not the compressor sections so each side responds accordingly. Almost a must when using mid/side.
You are wrong about this. There is a little switch beneath the "interval" knob in the center. The switch is called SC Link. That's where you set it to either dual mono/unlinked or linked mode. It's unlinked by default.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I"m not hearing a big difference between the different Rectifiers. Or even much of a subtle difference either.

Plus, I don't like being restricted with the fixed Attack and Release settings for each Rectifier. At first glance, I didn't see many combos of A&R that would suit what I'm doing. All those many choices seem oddly constraining to me, since I doubt I'll use many of them.

The tone is excellent of course.

I didn't compare it extensively but on a few tracks like BGVs I preferred Audified's U73b. I got pretty close with Marquis too.

I'm going to copy the EQ curves to Voxengo Marquis and see how that works.

I can get it for $125, but that's still too much for me, considering all the great comps I already have.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are others VST 3 ? PA also ?
i always use vst3 as default unless the developer says not to.
so those which come in vst3 are, those which aren't, well are vst2.

But only PA's have these issues.
Not sure if all PA's have it, but enough of them to make me stop using them. I know of two other Cubase users (on kvr) with the same issue.
rsp
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are wrong about this. There is a little switch beneath the "interval" knob in the center. The switch is called SC Link. That's where you set it to either dual mono/unlinked or linked mode. It's unlinked by default.
Thanks for that bit of info. I never changed it and made settings using the other controls. If it's unlinked by default the metering sure doesn't show it. Not when compared to what I see on the elysia alpha's metering. I have it on a track along with the alpha; the alpha shows 4 dB gain reduction on the side channel and 1 db GR on the left. The spl shows roughly equal gr figures for both channels. That's leading me to believe the spl doesn't really have unlinked channels. Settings are the same on both channels on the spl.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm still very tempted to get this due to the heavy hitter discount and my January voucher. Somebody help me get rid of this gearslutty sickness.
If you find a cure please post details.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
i always use vst3 as default unless the developer says not to.
so those which come in vst3 are, those which aren't, well are vst2.

But only PA's have these issues.
Not sure if all PA's have it, but enough of them to make me stop using them. I know of two other Cubase users (on kvr) with the same issue.
rsp
'm not saying there's no ssue 'm tryng to isolate the problem , from your exemple , it occurs when an audio region comes , as you might know , vst 3 has a feature (i personnaly not a fan of , we could go deeper in it )that allows to use zero ressources until the plugin is really processing audio ....

so try this :

same project with vst 2 versions
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
'm not saying there's no ssue 'm tryng to isolate the problem , from your exemple , it occurs when an audio region comes , as you might know , vst 3 has a feature (i personnaly not a fan of , we could go deeper in it )that allows to use zero ressources until the plugin is really processing audio ....

so try this :

same project with vst 2 versions

I guess I was too brief.
Short answer already did that. no difference.
Longer answer.

I said I first was promised a fix in November 2017. What was happening up to then indeed was the vst3 would glitch but the vst2 wouldn't....the november 2017 'fixed' it.... but I don't remember if the fix was they made both glitch the same or they fixed the glitching in vst3. I suspect the former, because whatever that fixed did, I still stopped using pa plugins, until last year august or so (2018) when I realised the issue was definitely still there, they said they had identified the issue and promised me a fix November 2018.... which did come but it was no fix.

"- Fixed potential CPU spikes and audio dropouts"

Whether vst3 or vst2..

Both glitch the same.

Also that was one example.
I can have a sine wave, one audio track....playing for 3 mintues.. and a pa insert in that one track and eventually it will glitch whilst playing and often give me a cpu overload when I try to export that mix.

Currently I suspect it may have something to do with Cubase Asio Guard and PA's framework...cause I can't think what else is really common to both my mac and pc. (of course that wouldn't explain the glitches in maschine, but maschine glitches to be honest are rare and more cosmetic (that is the cursor skis) than audio.
rsp
Old 1 week ago
Well I tried it, and...…….I like it, but no better than Elysia Alpha Master, SHMC, or UAD Manley Vari Mu. Its just another flavor and the screen size of the plug is too big and you can't down size it. Glad I tried it however.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interestingly I also dislike the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor.. that one is frustratingly weird in it's compression action (the VCA part). I always find myself having to lean very heavily on the opto side before hitting the weird VCA comp or it just all goes strange.

The SHMC does however have an absolutely gorgeous "box tone" with quite flexible choises and amount of drive, which is not at all the case with the SPL Iron. SPL Iron doesn't sound bad per say but it's definitely not sounding "expensive" in the way some other Vari-Mu designs sound and I've heard quite a few truly expensive sounding ones like the Knif and Fairman TMC.
B i think you nailed the heart of the discussion here : what people are waiting from a processor ....

And by the answers crossed from the El rey thread and this one , the thing is clear ...

Some like me want a compressor for hugily demanding scenarios ... and while trying el rey ,it was exellent on some and not at all on other due to its obvious colors ...

Some want that mojo and color ... witch in person is already done most of the time prior to this with thks to zillions sat stuff i have !!

what i like is that iron has color , you can tweak it , use it or not , and always have one color availlable that doesn t do too much ... if used while some suff have too much color to be used sometime (El rey , Acme ect )

For that exact reason i kept my CL1B V1 and didn't bought the V2

i already have a chain that i call the damager chain with Pro Q / a sat plugin (1073 or some le Blac box , Phylscascade , VSM , Satrun , ect) / SPL iron /tape if needed / PRo L (or Sonnox) : Light in cpu , stable , handle any scenarios any colors , can match any device around and surpasses most of them !!

Oh yeah by the way if you check my video , i m using the tc electronic loudness radar to exactly match the perceived loudness , this way , no tric !!! If everybody would use this method , the "weigth" on some compressor matched in the loudness would create a lot of surpises when level matched !!! it did for me

Last edited by Jeezo; 1 week ago at 12:57 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I put IRON to the test in the mastering chain for one of my tracks. Here is a render of an excerpt. I uploaded the 96/24 masters, so soundcloud is doing the SRC. You can download the 96/24 source with the download links.

There are two demos here "Poltergeist" and "The Late Johnny G" (excerpts). With and without IRON on the output. 96/24 downloads available.

Poltergeist: Input is +4dB for some drive, Germanium 2mF rectifier, HP SC 90Hz, threshold/attack/release set to test, all others neutral. loudness +/-0.1dB LUFS between wet and dry

Johnny G: Input is +4dB for some drive, Ge/Si 300nF rectifier, HP SC 90Hz, headroom +5dB, threshold -12, attack 1st dot, release 2nd dot, AirBass, bias low, all others neutral. loudness +/-0.1dB LUFS between wet and dry

Two new Plugin Alliance products announced: SPL Iron & SPL HawkEye - Page 3 - KVR Audio

Last edited by plexus; 1 week ago at 04:00 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can unlink the controls but not the compressor sections so each side responds accordingly.
yeh, something does not seem right about this behavior...at least not compared to any M/S set up i've ever used.
i also noticed the "saturation" seems to always be linked (?) regardless of compressor settings, so there's a lot of "cross-talk" (IMD) between channels.
don't know how/if that effects things w/ compression, would have to look at the flow chart again...

EDIT: user error on my part...see below post.

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 1 week ago at 12:42 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecass View Post
Ferrari Testarossa style
Speaking of Testarossa... I present the patron saint of that fine automobile...

*fun BTS fact: Tom Selleck was too tall to fit in the Testarossa without looking ridiculous, so they ripped the driver seat and he basically sat on an apple crate during filming
Attached Thumbnails
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-f9ac1ef8-2972-4ee7-8bb1-34f98d3a73fd.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
yeh, something does not seem right about this behavior...at least not compared to any M/S set up i've ever used.
i also noticed the "saturation" seems to always be linked (?) regardless of compressor settings, so there's a lot of "cross-talk" (IMD) between channels.
don't know how/if that effects things w/ compression, would have to look at the flow chart again...
Could the xtalk be because of the brainworx thd (or whatever they call their implementation) modeling?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I remember reading (either brainworx neve or ssl channels) that only one unit/channel was actually modeled and their tmt was just code randomizing different bits so that each sounds a bit different... inimagine it’s the deal with this plugin... but, me thinks it’s a maybe a bit much here as I think I’ve only ever seen two of these units in the wild... how many $6500 compressors would any given studio have?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Could the xtalk be because of the brainworx thd (or whatever they call their implementation) modeling?
EDIT: ok...this was user error on my part...should have RTFM...the "M/S" button needs to be engaged for true un-linked processing...d'oh

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 1 week ago at 12:41 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
B i think you nailed the heart of the discussion here : what people are waiting from a processor ....

And by the answers crossed from the El rey thread and this one , the thing is clear ...

Some like me want a compressor for hugily demanding scenarios ... and while trying el rey ,it was exellent on some and not at all on other due to its obvious colors ...

Some want that mojo and color ... witch in person is already done most of the time prior to this with thks to zillions sat stuff i have !!

what i like is that iron has color , you can tweak it , use it or not , and always have one color availlable that doesn t do too much ... if used while some suff have too much color to be used sometime (El rey , Acme ect )

For that exact reason i kept my CL1B V1 and didn't bought the V2

i already have a chain that i call the damager chain with Pro Q / a sat plugin (1073 or some le Blac box , Phylscascade , VSM , Satrun , ect) / SPL iron /tape if needed / PRo L (or Sonnox) : Light in cpu , stable , handle any scenarios any colors , can match any device around and surpasses most of them !!

Oh yeah by the way if you check my video , i m using the tc electronic loudness radar to exactly match the perceived loudness , this way , no tric !!! If everybody would use this method , the "weigth" on some compressor matched in the loudness would create a lot of surpises when level matched !!! it did for me
Agree, level matching is key. I try to do that as much as I can .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Well I tried it, and...…….I like it, but no better than Elysia Alpha Master, SHMC, or UAD Manley Vari Mu. Its just another flavor and the screen size of the plug is too big and you can't down size it. Glad I tried it however.
I guess we won't get the whiners complaining about a small gui eh?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess we won't get the whiners complaining about a small gui eh?
Still the metering can be another road lol ...

Anyway nice to have all those discussions and i don t see pro s and cons personnally but more different of perception of the wanted sonic print ... some are more sensible to one thing and some to others ....

Yep the Alpha is a beast , i love it and the clipping alone is why i so love it ...the spl is just like the HW another exellent alternative ... one that ,i found in my use, is making stuff sounds like the way i want fast in a classy manner ... and allows stuff i can t do with my other big dogs in certain cases ... notice also that my other stuff do stuff iron can t ... i will say thks God lol still want to play with my other stuff ...

So we ve been served by a lot of exellent stuff this past year compression wise

Overloud ssl and fairchild
Bx townhouse and the spl iron
Softube cl1b and their api comp on their channel strip
Would love to see some new from Fabrice Gabriel !!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search