The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx Dynamics Plugins
Old 1 week ago
unr
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I think to be a heavy hitter you need to have something like 30 plugins from them, im about 10 short of that but oh well, it would be nice to get it at that. I cant complain though they have done me right with the 75 vouchers for a year, it helped make purchases much easier on my wallet.
20 commercially bought plugins. No doubles/freebies counted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se
Has anyone found good uses for the different EQ settings in Iron yet? The intro video said they fit specific instruments and whatnot but I've yet to find further information (bar the graph in the manual). Fixed versions of the (amazing) parametric SC EQ in Arousor.
EQ4 has worked fine on a bass heavy Techno mix I'm doing atm. Compared against Alpha Comp and MJUC it sounded more punchier and altogether more balanced. But I'm no mastering pro.

Btw: The SC EQ curves are printed in the plugin and hardware manual.
https://files.plugin-alliance.com/pr..._manual_en.pdf
https://spl.audio/wp-content/uploads/IRON_BA_EN_Web.pdf
Old 1 week ago
Gee
Lives for gear

not sure its been mentioned but meters are pretty lousy on this thing (pro tools here)

been fun to play with so far though
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
I agree with everything WheelieR has been adding to the discussion.
Thanks dude

Although despite all of this, the lack of weight, and all that jazz I am still hesitating with it.
I'll do the ultimate test : El Rey vs Softube Tape B VLC25A and if El Rey lost, I'll maybe end up not buying any and waiting for Iron to be even cheaper because I am not fully satisfied by it but enjoy its features (especially the sidechained EQ presets and the way it handles low end).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Thanks dude

Although despite all of this, the lack of weight, and all that jazz I am still hesitating with it.
I'll do the ultimate test : El Rey vs Softube Tape B VLC25A and if El Rey lost, I'll maybe end up not buying any and waiting for Iron to be even cheaper because I am not fully satisfied by it but enjoy its features (especially the sidechained EQ presets and the way it handles low end).
I'd send you my original tests on the combo I suggested, but I think my El Rey trial ended.

Give it a whirl, I believe I went 25A into Tape B with a bit (like a TINY bit) of the top rolled off using Tape's filter. Another user did a similar test to me before I reported this but did 25A into VEQ-1 for the bump and preferred over El Rey.

As for Iron, I much preferred it over my recollection of the El Rey. I like a comp I can push around and the Iron is more flexible for that. Having said all that, for my tests last night I was looking for smacking drums and Kotelnikov did a better job. I'm going to shoot them out on a vocal and some synths tonight and expect Iron to be the king there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Comparing Iron vs MJUC on the mixbus again, this time an pop/rock rack, and I prefer the latter again. Both followed townhouse which did the heavy lifting and offered the SSL snap. No Gullfoss this time, I was using StageOne and CenterOne to shape the space (post compression and EQ).

Iron: really easy to dial in and is incredibly musical. The side effect of that is that it's quite hard on transients, and the kick was being pushed down too much and the wide snare claps were dulled. LED was the best rectifier for retaining the kick/snap definition but it still dulled it too much.

MJUC (Mode 3 with density and iStage enabled) added body and glue while retaining transients and kick definition (Drive at zero retains transients). Timber at 0 (center) as to not adjust the tonal balance.

So for now after this first round of early testing I'll keep Iron for busses and anything that isn't transient heavy. It worked incredibly well for pulling the synth and instrument pads and BG vocals together (Iron on each bus).

You have much more experience than I, so as always it's horses for courses! Yeah, I used the SC (@160Hz). If I want the tape effect I'll use a dedicated plugin for that though as I don't think the tape mode in this compares to dedicated options.

Interested to hear what others have compared Iron against, and what their favourite uses for it are so far.

@bgood - you know I respect your music (which this plugin would suit very well), so I say this nicely - your opinion regarding Iron would be far more helpful than the usual rant regarding those discussing pricing and/or alternatives.
Moaning is an expected outcome of anonymity... I just would love to hear more about the actual product!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I definitely miss some of the weight compared to magenta4 C1 (Vari-Mu compressor) and I also prefer magenta for how it brings the mix/master forward but still glued everything. Iron seems to set stuff back in the sound stage which could be cool for a music bus when you want the vocal/drums/bass more upfront (most of hip hop and pop). I think I’m more interested in the meter plugin though.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Very similar to how I had it setup on the first test (bar the timber push into clipping) - I'll give that a pop, cheers.

Has anyone found good uses for the different EQ settings in Iron yet? The intro video said they fit specific instruments and whatnot but I've yet to find further information (bar the graph in the manual). Fixed versions of the (amazing) parametric SC EQ in Arousor.
Hi b0se, a good way to get an idea of the use of SC EQ settings are with the presets. I was very unsure about the EQ too and it is obviously something unique also in the hw, but the presets help understand. The AC Guitar preset for example uses EQ2 with the 12 dB cut at 500 Hz and I really like what I hear on a recently recorded J-45. Brings out the character of the guitar, brings a lot of volume and density, but doesn't sound compressed. Really great. Same is true for vocals with EQ 4 etc. You should have a look.

By the way. I really envy you for the Kii's. Damn how much I would love them in my studio. Instant love after I mixed a song on them once. I started to save for them but haven't gotten far yet. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Comparing Iron vs MJUC on the mixbus again, this time an pop/rock rack, and I prefer the latter again. Both followed townhouse which did the heavy lifting and offered the SSL snap. No Gullfoss this time, I was using StageOne and CenterOne to shape the space (post compression and EQ).

Iron: really easy to dial in and is incredibly musical. The side effect of that is that it's quite hard on transients, and the kick was being pushed down too much and the wide snare claps were dulled. LED was the best rectifier for retaining the kick/snap definition but it still dulled it too much.

MJUC (Mode 3 with density and iStage enabled) added body and glue while retaining transients and kick definition (Drive at zero retains transients). Timber at 0 (center) as to not adjust the tonal balance.

So for now after this first round of early testing I'll keep Iron for busses and anything that isn't transient heavy. It worked incredibly well for pulling the synth and instrument pads and BG vocals together (Iron on each bus).
Interestingly I use MJUC mode 3 on my Mix buss doing house/techno/electronic stuff. I really like MJUC

Just testing Iron and much much prefer it although its a tad unfair as if you Mono out from 240HZ and below and add 10% extra on the sides with hardly any compression (like 1-2DB the whole Mix) with Iron it is so much more focused than MJUC but that's more the focussing of the mix which you could do with the brainworx eq or something like that later on anyway. I like the fact you can set it and mix into it with plugin though.

Really really like Iron though. I wish Plugin Alliance did 5 picks for their pack rather than 10 as id pull the trigger right now as there is def 5 plugins id like.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Moaning is an expected outcome of anonymity... I just would love to hear more about the actual product!
Do you see the irony in that statement? I'd love to hear your own opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
I definitely miss some of the weight compared to magenta4 C1 (Vari-Mu compressor) and I also prefer magenta for how it brings the mix/master forward but still glued everything. Iron seems to set stuff back in the sound stage which could be cool for a music bus when you want the vocal/drums/bass more upfront (most of hip hop and pop). I think I’m more interested in the meter plugin though.
Spot on. Could duck nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Hi b0se, a good way to get an idea of the use of SC EQ settings are with the presets. I was very unsure about the EQ too and it is obviously something unique also in the hw, but the presets help understand. The AC Guitar preset for example uses EQ2 with the 12 dB cut at 500 Hz and I really like what I hear on a recently recorded J-45. Brings out the character of the guitar, brings a lot of volume and density, but doesn't sound compressed. Really great. Same is true for vocals with EQ 4 etc. You should have a look.

By the way. I really envy you for the Kii's. Damn how much I would love them in my studio. Instant love after I mixed a song on them once. I started to save for them but haven't gotten far yet. :-)
Good point, thanks. I hadn't even looked at the presets.

Kii's - the best investment (tech wise) I've ever made. Love them as much as the first day, a delight to use and listen to; the insight they offer is mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Interestingly I use MJUC mode 3 on my Mix buss doing house/techno/electronic stuff. I really like MJUC

Just testing Iron and much much prefer it although its a tad unfair as if you Mono out from 240HZ and below and add 10% extra on the sides with hardly any compression (like 1-2DB the whole Mix) with Iron it is so much more focused than MJUC but that's more the focussing of the mix which you could do with the brainworx eq or something like that later on anyway. I like the fact you can set it and mix into it with plugin though.

Really really like Iron though. I wish Plugin Alliance did 5 picks for their pack rather than 10 as id pull the trigger right now as there is def 5 plugins id like.
I do that i the mix and with other tools, so was just comparing the compression and tone. If you want an all in one tool though, I don't think anything can compete with Iron.
Old 1 week ago
I have not demoed this yet, but what impresses me after reviewing the manual and watching videos, is that each rectifier choice has different attack and release times. So the 6 position attack and release switches behave completely different depending on which rectifier is chosen, so this really is like many compressors in one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I think to be a heavy hitter you need to have something like 30 plugins from them, im about 10 short of that but oh well, it would be nice to get it at that. I cant complain though they have done me right with the 75 vouchers for a year, it helped make purchases much easier on my wallet.
Deuc,

you need 20 plugins (not free and not within PickPack thou!) in your ownership to be Heavy Hitter.

Krešo
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How do people get the $75 vouchers?

I got a $50 voucher and a Heavy hitter offer of $99 for the Iron making it $49+vat for me. I have 24 non-free plugins.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I do that i the mix and with other tools, so was just comparing the compression and tone. If you want an all in one tool though, I don't think anything can compete with Iron.
Totally agree. I’m also really liking what the aibass does with a house/electronic kick and lower elements in the mix, Turn it on and just pull the kick back 0.5-1 dB sounds really nice. Like you say as a 1 stop buss processor it really is great.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Price is always a part of the product you are trying to sell. Otherwise this forum should forbid the sellers to post the price, as this is a "pure audio talking forum".....

Best regards,
Daniel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Price is always a part of the product you are trying to sell. Otherwise this forum should forbid the sellers to post the price, as this is a "pure audio talking forum".....

Best regards,
Daniel.
I’ll give you that if you concur that moaning about s price point before the dev even posts the price is a bit much
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbita View Post
How do people get the $75 vouchers?

I got a $50 voucher and a Heavy hitter offer of $99 for the Iron making it $49+vat for me. I have 24 non-free plugins.
Hi there orbita!

Many things counts. One being loyal (buying frequently), being on e-mailing list, spending certain amount of USD every year... It all counts!

Here are those things (even thou it's been mentioned million times here but this is also how I learned some thing so I am passing it now as well) as snippets from my User Account over on PA web page:

- Our monthly customer loyalty vouchers are automatically generated based on the amount of purchases you make and are subject to change based on your spending habits. This system is completely automated and calculates your voucher based on the purchases you made within the 12 months that preceded the month in which the voucher was sent out in.

For example, the July 2018 vouchers counted all the purchases that were made from July 1, 2017 through June 31st, 2018. For the August 2018 vouchers, the system looks at your purchases from August 1, 2017, until July 31st, 2018. Wherever your spending falls on any given month is what determines the amount of your monthly voucher. Please note that your final spending tier is calculated excluding taxes, returns and vouchers used.

Also, please make sure that you don’t unsubscribe from our mailing list!

- When you purchase plugins on our web site and increase your spend over a 12-month period, you are added to our customer loyalty voucher program. The more you spend in a 12-month period, the more your voucher will increase until reaching the $75 level you will see!

I hope I helped you and others as well!

Krešo
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
I'd send you my original tests on the combo I suggested, but I think my El Rey trial ended.

Give it a whirl, I believe I went 25A into Tape B with a bit (like a TINY bit) of the top rolled off using Tape's filter. Another user did a similar test to me before I reported this but did 25A into VEQ-1 for the bump and preferred over El Rey.

As for Iron, I much preferred it over my recollection of the El Rey. I like a comp I can push around and the Iron is more flexible for that. Having said all that, for my tests last night I was looking for smacking drums and Kotelnikov did a better job. I'm going to shoot them out on a vocal and some synths tonight and expect Iron to be the king there.
My trial of 25A ended but I still have the trial of EL Rey (you can renew trial with Acustica, which is pretty cool I must admit).
If you want, you can send me your test and I'd send back the track processed with El Rey according to your desiderata .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I’ll give you that if you concur that moaning about s price point before the dev even posts the price is a bit much
Hi bgood,

The pricing strategy to not reveal the price from the beginning is part of the price of a product. Also you can do some research of prior new products launches of this company to know about their pricing policies.

Best regards,

Daniel.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

By reading the comments here about it not giving enough weight etc.. it sounds like they did a good job on the emulation! I love using the hardware unit (much more than the also mentioned SHMC which really does not have much in commonk), but never used it for adding weight (well.. yes, some, but only from compression), saturation or that kind of stuff to a master since many other units does that much better. I think the Iron is mostly about really great compression.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Hi bgood,

The pricing strategy to not reveal the price from the beginning is part of the price of a product. Also you can do some research of prior new products launches of this company to know about their pricing policies.

Best regards,

Daniel.
I don’t need to do any research, thank you. PA had used the same roll out for the last several products... most of which share a similar price point. If they release something that I’m interested in I buy it.

Besides, Daniel... the moaning about pricing here on GS is hardly unique to PA. It’s even pops up with devs like Karzog when they have a product with a price point of sub $50.

This is Gearslutz, not GearHobo. How does one expect to be a “slut” if he doesn’t spend some money?

Like Ray Charles once sang... “If you wanna have a ball you gotta spend some cash”
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
By reading the comments here about it not giving enough weight etc.. it sounds like they did a good job on the emulation! I love using the hardware unit (much more than the also mentioned SHMC which really does not have much in commonk), but never used it for adding weight (well.. yes, some, but only from compression), saturation or that kind of stuff to a master since many other units does that much better. I think the Iron is mostly about really great compression.
A trick with the SPL Iron (hardware) is to set the sidechain to external and dial in the input and output to color the signal in the desirable way.
It definitely adds weight that way, for whatever weight means to anyone. It adds harmonics and a little bit of phase rotation (transformers).
If you push the input gain it will "drive" the photocell limiter in the sidechain. Giving you a kind of natural compression (RMS rather than peaks) compression and a noticeable coloration from the unit.
It is a very deep unit, really clever in design and full of tricks. I wish I spent more time with it.
I'll see if the plugins emulated that part of the sound but from my first impressions I don't think they did it as well as I expected. Also the hardware is quite hard to saturate from my memory. Here it is pretty easy to saturate it.
It's a "transparent" compression but with still some kind of subtle coloration that is very enjoyable (I talk for the hardware here).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
A trick with the SPL Iron (hardware) is to set the sidechain to external and dial in the input and output to color the signal in the desirable way.
It definitely adds weight that way, for whatever weight means to anyone. It adds harmonics and a little bit of phase rotation (transformers).
If you push the input gain it will "drive" the photocell limiter in the sidechain. Giving you a kind of natural compression (RMS rather than peaks) compression and a noticeable coloration from the unit.
It is a very deep unit, really clever in design and full of tricks. I wish I spent more time with it.
I'll see if the plugins emulated that part of the sound but from my first impressions I don't think they did it as well as I expected. Also the hardware is quite hard to saturate from my memory. Here it is pretty easy to saturate it.
It's a "transparent" compression but with still some kind of subtle coloration that is very enjoyable (I talk for the hardware here).
Ah, never tried that external sidechain trick. Will do when I’m back in the studio next week!
But yes, it sure can overdrive/saturate and all of that. It’s just that I don’t think it sound that good compared to my other vari mu’s. I think ”weight” is one of the things I miss the most from it’s different types of saturation. Maybe that external sidechain thing will change my mind. Thanks for mentioning it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
Ah, never tried that external sidechain trick. Will do when I’m back in the studio next week!
But yes, it sure can overdrive/saturate and all of that. It’s just that I don’t think it sound that good compared to my other vari mu’s. I think ”weight” is one of the things I miss the most from it’s different types of saturation. Maybe that external sidechain thing will change my mind. Thanks for mentioning it!
Try it ! It's been a little while I hadn't used that SPL but I remember it working that way. It's from memories tho, tell me if it works.
I tried IT on the plugin without that much success. It surely change the sound a bit, but not in a way I liked. Whereas I remember really liking this trick on different tracks with the hardware .
Also on the plugins it can really saturate quickly and badly (depending on the rectifier type).

But it's true that even the hardware hasn't that much "weight" compare to other Vari-Mu device. I like a hot input Culture Vulture Phoenix for that for instance, a nicely handled Pendulum CS-8 or properly calibrated/gain staged signal going into the Manley Vari-Mu (even if with this one, a bad gain staging can really destroy the source).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Deuc,

you need 20 plugins (not free and not within PickPack thou!) in your ownership to be Heavy Hitter.

Krešo
Im gonna go back and count right now lol
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Damn it 16!

I only really get AAX-DSP
Old 1 week ago
I'm just tired of high praise for a new plug in and they then try to pull you in to buy it. 6 months later, they talk about another plug in that is so amazing and the original plug in that was praised originally is now ignored.

This is what happen to the SHMC plug in when it came out. I got it, I liked what it did but I generally found I preferred another plug in for the same task so I don't use it as much.

I also think if I had less plug in's I would learn to use the ones I have much better and would get improved results.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
There’s no oversampling...just like the hardware...
There is indeed quite a bit of aliasing going on. For a mastering tool this price range I‘m actually surprised.
Does the hardware really behaves the same in this regard?

Any aliasing experiences or thoughts about Iron?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
...if I had less plug in's I would learn to use the ones I have much better and would get improved results.
Great quote. We're probably all guilty on this one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

...this is the dirtiest thing I’ve seen since those pics of jlaw’s b’hole...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I'm just tired of high praise for a new plug in and they then try to pull you in to buy it. 6 months later, they talk about another plug in that is so amazing and the original plug in that was praised originally is now ignored.

This is what happen to the SHMC plug in when it came out. I got it, I liked what it did but I generally found I preferred another plug in for the same task so I don't use it as much.

I also think if I had less plug in's I would learn to use the ones I have much better and would get improved results.

What's the problem? Stop buying new plugins you don't need.

Anyways.. I was going to post my opinion on this thing. Well, just like with the real hardware, I'm not sure about this thing. There's somethin "not quite right" with how it compresses most of the time. Something about the attack on almost all the combinations irks me. This is definitely a very "deep" compressor and usually I'm all for it and not the slightest annoyed by complex dynamics compressors but this thing and I just don't seem to gel. I can't get it to do what I want it to do and I don't really seem to like how it sounds most of the time.

I'm also not that impressed with the randomness of Brainworx TMT modeling thing which has become yet another typical brainworx "trademark" sales thing and quite unnecessary and heavily overdone (as it is on the SSL plugin.. some of those channels are just completely off and I don't believe for a second they actually analysed all parts of a full desk, the channel differences feel way too random), especially considering the nature of the real beast which is designed to be super stable in it's stereo image as it was after all made for mastering.

Even with all the setting combinations available I've always felt like the SPL Iron is a bit of a one trick pony.. it does semi-soft and pillowy control stuff quite well but not really much else. Granted, this is a very deep compressor considering how much everything interacts (that input gain knob makes a HUGE difference in how the compression action goes) and I only have about 5 hours worth of experience with the hardware and now about 12 hours with the plugin. One thing is certain, this plugin is really close to the hardware.. I dislike the exact same things about both. The plugin does sound a bit of "plugin(ish)" and 2D in my opinion.. the compression feels a bit more "chunky" than I remember the hardware being but other than that, it's definitely very close.

So yeah, the coding seems to be pretty spot on and thus most of my disliking of this thing is simply because I didn't find the hardware all that impressive either. Sometimes we just dislike things that are clearly thought of as awesome by other people. This is one of those units for me.

I'm still very tempted to get this due to the heavy hitter discount and my January voucher. Somebody help me get rid of this gearslutty sickness.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search