The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx Dynamics Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
OMU
Lives for gear

The hardware is analog so there's no aliasing to be 'emulated' here. No digital section, presets or anything like that.

I noticed some higher than usual (compared to older PA stuff) aliasing in the new Elysia plugin too. Maybe they changed the coders, no idea what's happening there lately.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't mind a long video; sometimes the short ones don't cover enough of a plugin and leave features out.

What would I want you to cover?
How about how you put together your 2-bus. Things like plugins, etc.
Creative uses for side-chaining other than what's been covered.
Notes taking !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Aliasing on Brainworx plugin? Man thats bad. Always buy from them cause I know they know their stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Notes taking !!
You mentioned you haven't tried klanghelm dc8c, only the freeware dc1a. The dc8c is a beast compared to the dc1a, it's one of the most tunable compressors I have seen. It is actually four comps in one (smooth/punch/snap/crush modes). For €25 I recommend you get it and do a video on it. Think you will like it. I have had it since v1 and now it's v3 but I'm still on v2 - I need to check what's up with the latest one!

edit: sorry for the OT post
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I was thinking Stinky was goofing a bit.....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
You mentioned you haven't tried klanghelm dc8c, only the freeware dc1a. The dc8c is a beast compared to the dc1a, it's one of the most tunable compressors I have seen. It is actually four comps in one (smooth/punch/snap/crush modes). For €25 I recommend you get it and do a video on it. Think you will like it. I have had it since v1 and now it's v3 but I'm still on v2 - I need to check what's up with the latest one!

I tried it if i reccall'well and liked it a lot , i m testing another beast as i write ...
All we can agree on is thatbwe reached a level of qualitty finnally in all sections from reverb to comp , eq s to distortion , we have serious heat ITB finally ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
All we can agree on is that we reached a level of quality finally in all sections from reverb to comp , eqs to distortion , we have serious heat ITB finally ...
Truth that.
I'm certain I don't need another plugin.

Wants are different to needs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Finally got to try it, definitely a nice compressor. Probably don't need it right now but it's pretty nice and also versatile.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

With current sales/vouchers I have option of bx_refinement for $0 vs SPL Iron for $58.

I mostly make techno - which of the 2 is likely to more useful/interesting/unique? I already have masterdesk, vsm3, hg2, vitalizer, opto.

Is refinement mostly just a corrective tool or is it creative too? I see various comments that EQ does just as good a job. Unfortunately I cant demo because I used my trial license previously when comparing a bunch of plugins.

Initial impression of Iron is it sounds good and improves overall dynamics and space in similar way to masterdesk but controls/choices are a bit overwhelming.
Old 4 weeks ago
I'm pretty impressed with IRON (running at 96 kHz) - I'm able to add weight and color with very little perceived compression.

While A/Bing with Softube's Weiss DS1-MK3 I inadvertently activated both at the same time: IRON > DS1. The result was spectacular: increased weight, depth, richness and impact - quite a combination!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post
I'm pretty impressed with IRON (running at 96 kHz) - I'm able to add weight and color with very little perceived compression.

While A/Bing with Softube's Weiss DS1-MK3 I inadvertently activated both at the same time: IRON > DS1. The result was spectacular: increased weight, depth, richness and impact - quite a combination!
Hahaha happened to me last time when shooting out some compressors for parallel drum crush (kick+snare+room). Just inadvertently switched one 2 compressors and felt like : "Wow amazing haha !" (even when level matching).
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbita View Post
With current sales/vouchers I have option of bx_refinement for $0 vs SPL Iron for $58.

I mostly make techno - which of the 2 is likely to more useful/interesting/unique? I already have masterdesk, vsm3, hg2, vitalizer, opto.

Is refinement mostly just a corrective tool or is it creative too? I see various comments that EQ does just as good a job. Unfortunately I cant demo because I used my trial license previously when comparing a bunch of plugins.

Initial impression of Iron is it sounds good and improves overall dynamics and space in similar way to masterdesk but controls/choices are a bit overwhelming.
I don't own bx refinement, but I've demoed it and it could be useful for de-harshing hats and such. I do own vsm3, hg2, vitalizer and bx opto and they don't do what iron does, imo. In your case I'd say iron all the way. ALLL the way! What it does to the low end is fabulous. Personally I mostly do drum & bass, but I do 4x4 stuff from time to time as well. Have been getting more into techno lately.

Like you say, the controls are overwhelming at first, but you quickly figure them out. Besides, it's so hard to make it sound bad (except if you turn down the headroom control too much) that you don't need to worry. It's so cpu efficient that you can put it on lots of things if you want. Like in this track I'm currently doing, I've put iron on my mixbuss, drum buss, bass buss, electric piano and guitar and it sounds so good. This is on a 7 year old macbook pro running other heavy plugins like sga1566 and the ozone 8 maximiser.

Having the various rectifier models and sidechain EQ presets makes it easy to tailor the compression to the particular instrument. The TMT channels help avoid the issue of accumulation of specific "plugin sound" that you can get if you use a plugin that has exactly the same harmonic fingerprint, on multiple elements of your mix. For $58 it's a steal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I was thinking Stinky was goofing a bit.....
Always...

From my experience, I’ve seen there is an extremely fine line between accurate circuit modeling and broken code...and I have no idea which one this is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I don't own bx refinement, but I've demoed it and it could be useful for de-harshing hats and such. I do own vsm3, hg2, vitalizer and bx opto and they don't do what iron does, imo. In your case I'd say iron all the way. ALLL the way! What it does to the low end is fabulous. Personally I mostly do drum & bass, but I do 4x4 stuff from time to time as well. Have been getting more into techno lately.

Like you say, the controls are overwhelming at first, but you quickly figure them out. Besides, it's so hard to make it sound bad (except if you turn down the headroom control too much) that you don't need to worry. It's so cpu efficient that you can put it on lots of things if you want. Like in this track I'm currently doing, I've put iron on my mixbuss, drum buss, bass buss, electric piano and guitar and it sounds so good. This is on a 7 year old macbook pro running other heavy plugins like sga1566 and the ozone 8 maximiser.

Having the various rectifier models and sidechain EQ presets makes it easy to tailor the compression to the particular instrument. The TMT channels help avoid the issue of accumulation of specific "plugin sound" that you can get if you use a plugin that has exactly the same harmonic fingerprint, on multiple elements of your mix. For $58 it's a steal.
Thanks - for giving a detailed opinion and sharing your experiences! Very encouraging and I think i'll get Iron.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Truth that.
I'm certain I don't need another plugin.

Wants are different to needs.
Definitly

Also the numbers of options needed to cover any scenraios depends on the level of the job the guy is doing , Pensado needs isn't the same as a regular guy
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was going to pass on Iron given the issues I cited (and a couple of which PA tech support has verified) but given that the HH voucher is only good until the end of this month I'm seriously considering it. It's a thing of do I place faith in PA to fix the problems and get it now at the reduced price or blow it off until they do get it fixed? They're not fatal issues but damned annoying and on the case of the chirp embarassing when a client is in the studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I was going to pass on Iron given the issues I cited (and a couple of which PA tech support has verified) but given that the HH voucher is only good until the end of this month I'm seriously considering it. It's a thing of do I place faith in PA to fix the problems and get it now at the reduced price or blow it off until they do get it fixed? They're not fatal issues but damned annoying and on the case of the chirp embarassing when a client is in the studio.
If you realy like the plugin go for it , switching from M/S to L/R several times don't make a lot of sens since you will not have at all the same settings !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
I think it's fair in a sense that both, SPL Iron and Weiss, are being marketed as mastering compressors.
fixed
Nope. "Fair in the sense that" was the correct syntax here. That's what he meant and what he wrote.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I just got response from Plugin Alliance. As mentioned by others, there is no aliasing on the hardware. They decided against oversampling because when driven so hot the hardware just doesn't sound nice and because of the DSP load for AAX (when oversampling 4x). So far they recommend to run higher sample rates when aliasing seems to be an issue.

I call upon you to contact Plugin Alliance and request an oversampling function.

Nevertheless IRON sounds fantastic. Oversampling would just be the cream of the crop.
Old 4 weeks ago
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyomega View Post
because of the DSP load for AAX
Bingo!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
I just got response from Plugin Alliance. As mentioned by others, there is no aliasing on the hardware. They decided against oversampling because when driven so hot the hardware just doesn't sound nice and because of the DSP load for AAX (when oversampling 4x). So far they recommend to run higher sample rates when aliasing seems to be an issue.

I call upon you to contact Plugin Alliance and request an oversampling function.

Nevertheless IRON sounds fantastic. Oversampling would just be the cream of the crop.
FWIW oversampling can create it's own artifacts, and aliasing sometimes is basically inaudible. No expert here, but there are plug ins that alias (Decapitator springs to mind), that are used with some success.

There is a ginormous thread on here that goes into the subject with measurements on specific plug ins. Fabien from TDR is very good about speaking to this, so maybe search for his quotes, as is Andy from Cytomic......
Analogue units DO NOT alias. It is a digital artifact. FWIW......
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW oversampling can create it's own artifacts, and aliasing sometimes is basically inaudible. No expert here, but there are plug ins that alias (Decapitator springs to mind), that are used with some success.

There is a ginormous thread on here that goes into the subject with measurements on specific plug ins. Fabien from TDR is very good about speaking to this, so maybe search for his quotes, as is Andy from Cytomic......
Analogue units DO NOT alias. It is a digital artifact. FWIW......
It is a mastering device (firstly).
So the question that comes to my mind is : Does it alias when using it in a mastering situation :
A classic scenario like 1 - 3db GR max. Even with quick release (the quickest the attack and release are, the more it introduces compression artefacts and so possibility of aliasing).
I can't try it right now so I can't tell.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
It is a mastering device (firstly).
So the question that comes to my mind is : Does it alias when using it in a mastering situation :
A classic scenario like 1 - 3db GR max. Even with quick release (the quickest the attack and release are, the more it introduces compression artefacts and so possibility of aliasing).
I can't try it right now so I can't tell.
I don't know but others have said it aliases, and all plug ins do to some degree. That's why mastering guys tend to use analogue (among other reasons). Again there are plug ins (like "The Glue"), that aliasing isn't a factor, since it's very very low.......
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know but others have said it aliases, and all plug ins do to some degree. That's why mastering guys tend to use analogue (among other reasons). Again there are plug ins (like "The Glue"), that aliasing isn't a factor, since it's very very low.......
Yep I know that indeed.

But to me if a "mastering" plugin is aliasing, quite a lot, it's a no-no.
Especially with low GR which normally don't produce a lot of aliasing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Yep I know that indeed.

But to me if a "mastering" plugin is aliasing, quite a lot, it's a no-no.
Especially with low GR which normally don't produce a lot of aliasing.
Mastering situation : plenty of dsp power availlable : higher sample rate : liasing no more an issue

Mixing situation : one processor onnthe master : aliasing or not , no big deal
Mixing situation : a lot of plugin instation : danger of cumulation : higher sample rate needed

For those on windows , cakewalk sonar is free , and you have an option to choose a per plugin X2 upsampling .... so you can work at 48 and choose to be at 96 for some plugins at read or export ...

So a good option as a secondary daw option imho ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Hi, still OT - DC8C3 has vastly improved. Better metering even, new Saturation mode, new preset system, better GUI, so it's definitely a must to install the newest version.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(when oversampling 4x)
you should ask them about this...it's a sine wave test @ 192 kHz.
https://i.imgur.com/xEeMVYH.gif

i think the reason they didn't oversample is because it doesn't really help any...

(...the only other time i see stuff this cool is when analyzing Acustica stuff)

*would love to see this test on the hardware...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried it if i reccall'well and liked it a lot , i m testing another beast as i write ...
All we can agree on is thatbwe reached a level of qualitty finnally in all sections from reverb to comp , eq s to distortion , we have serious heat ITB finally ...
Btw always use Klanhelm on 8x oversampling setting it really imparts nice clarity both Mjuc and the Dc..Mjuc Mk3 with high density its rocket. .

What settings do u use on Iron for in the face sound?I seem to struggle a bit to make sounds in the face.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

**** aax haha we need 16x setting I use pro l 2 on 16 x always love it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I did look at it for aliasing and, maybe I am wrong, but it seems to alias even without any GR or very soft GR. Even with the LED mode which I guessed should be the cleanest.
If this is true, it is a bit so-so for a "mastering" device.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search