The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio introduces the WA-251 Tube Condenser Microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Looks good; Warm have done a great job bringing interesting gear at the price point.
It is on obviously very good gear when you don't (have to) care about brand recognition.I understand though that this company gets a lot of fire.It is to "budget" to be considered high-end and a worthy alternative to all the other high end boutique clone-makers and to expensive to be "cool" for doing DIY capsule upgrades etc..
But it is great gear you can buy at any shop with warranty and of course great after sales support.

This is why I will get their 251 (already have the wa47) too..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddevotion View Post
We need a c800g clone
FYI - STAM just announced one on their site. Same tube as Sony, Heiserman K67 capsule. I doubt anyone outside of the company has heard it yet.

Last edited by sirthought; 4 weeks ago at 12:26 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegean Blue View Post
It is on obviously very good gear when you don't (have to) care about brand recognition.I understand though that this company gets a lot of fire.It is to "budget" to be considered high-end and a worthy alternative to all the other high end boutique clone-makers and to expensive to be "cool" for doing DIY capsule upgrades etc..
But it is great gear you can buy at any shop with warranty and of course great after sales support.

This is why I will get their 251 (already have the wa47) too..
Yes. From a usability point of view it gives the home studio some decent options for music-making...and there are quite a few companies offering gear in this price range now. I have the WA76 compressor and whilst it is definitely good to have it's not in the same league as the Wes Audio _MIMAS which is absolutely stunning at 2 or 3 times the cost.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have seen warm gear in quite a lot very big name studios around the places.Specially the wa47 gets rave review most of all from professional engineers and producers.Here on GS I have seen some guys claiming that they sold their original u47 and kept the wa47..

I mean I am not one of those who would claim all these guys liars or having a "warm audio agenda"..
most likely it is just very good gear with a tremendous value for money thing going on.

Sure it is a little bit more than just a "decent solution for a home studio".
Old 4 weeks ago
Jai guru deva om

We are excited for the WA-251, and just found out that stock is shipping from here on Tuesday this week coming (Jan 22nd). Bob and I will get it added to our Clipalator mic folder quickly for sure!

War
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
First video I've seen of someone using the WA-251...moon

YouTube
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Nice..

Did the pre-order a few days ago.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

[I'm gonna copy-pasta myself from another forum on this topic:]

One thing about this mic, and the DIY thing it's copying, is that gigantic film cap between the tube and the transformer. It's really not the right cap for a 251.

The original used a wet tantalum, and the $10,000 "reissue" use a Sprague TE1501 electrolytic. (TE1501 Vishay / Sprague | Mouser Europe) These caps have the effect of slightly softening the sound, where the big film cap is going to sound a little too sharp and clear.

The wet tantalum cap is going to be about $50 I think.

An immediate mod I would do to the Warm is find a big ass paper in oil cap to stick in that spot, since the space is available. Somewhere beteween 1 uF and 3 uF. I'd be looking around on Google and eBay.

That was a lesson I learned when building my personal 251. In my mic, I use an old stock TE1501.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Maybe we should hear this mic first before we judge it on someone's "theories" although he never heard it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe we should hear this mic first before we judge it on someone's "theories" although he never heard it?
Was that directed at me?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the review and update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just ordered a WA 251. I have a pair of WA 47's and compared them to a particularly good vintage one. Everyone in the control room was shocked at the similarities. Really amazing. Just a hint of a difference in upper mids, but in the ballpark. A different vintage 47 could have had the same differences.

Can't wait for another blind shootout.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Umm..I don't know..saw this quote and ask myself what kind of theory this is.Like to put a "big ass paper in oil cap" into a microphone is a rather weird thing in my book.

I guess you posted this quote for a reason?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Umm..I don't know..saw this quote and ask myself what kind of theory this is.Like to put a "big as paper in oil cap" into a microphone is a rather weird thing in my book.

I guess you posted this quote for a reason?
I'm quoting myself.

My "reason" is 7 years experience in modifying, building, and designing microphones.

the 251 is one that I know "pretty well"

if you don't like my colloquial language, that's fine, but I'm just trying to offer some experience
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Pardon me please...

What you are saying is nothing else that any 251 style mic needs what you are proposing (in this case a "bad ass paper in oil cap") or it does not sound like a 251 mic clone.Please allow me to hear the mic first.The guys who are building microphones((and selling thousands of them btw) maybe (just maybe) surpass your 7 years of experience with 251 type of mics?Let's hear it first.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pardon me please...

What you are saying is nothing else that any 251 style mic needs what you are proposing (in this case a "bad ass paper in oil cap") or it does not sound like a 251 mic clone.Please allow me to hear the mic first.The guys who are building microphones((and selling thousands of them btw) maybe (just maybe) surpass your 7 years of experience with 251 type of mics?Let's hear it first.
Yeah, pardon me as well.

I am offering inside information and you're hitting me with disrespect.

Hear it first, I don't care. I've got no further use in speaking to you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but being a Warm Audio conversation, outboard wise, it would seem that most of these companies are waiting to see what the other will put out next and doing mostly the same, just different prices and faceplates. What none is doing is putting out a decent valve based, transformer coupled, preamplifier. That would certainly be interesting to see.
There’s little to no innovation. Almost all (Hardware n software) are just looking backwards and emulating. The tiny % that look forward and develop new products have been getting my dollar.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Pardon me please...

Warm doesn't have 7 years of experience building microphones. Maybe somebody on their team does, but that's a maybe and not obvious.

The first thing I would try with this microphone is switching out the $15 tube for a NOS 6072a.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Wow..lots of negative energy against warm audio I would say..

I mean I talked about my pre-order and I got this.I did not expect that for sure.Indeed no further reason for this kind of discussion.

PS

Maybe some guys wait untill a product hits the market before talking like this.Hear the mic first..then talk.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is well known that in the manufacture process, using a more expensive, but better part may add too much to the end price for the customer. So, many times, they pick a decent part that costs way less and the product gets cheap in the end. Further, they can not use NOS tubes because they can not find 10 000 that sound exactly the same. But fine old tubes always sound a lot better in my experience. For the end customer to switch out a part makes more sense. Adding 50 dollars for a esoteric PIO condenser at the factory would make the mic a lot more expensive. But if you do it yourself, it is just 50 bucks. :D I don't know if I would recommend just anyone to solder about in a brand new mic, but swapping a tube is so easy a 2 year old could do it. :D
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow..lots of negative energy against warm audio I would say..

I mean I talked about my pre-order and I got this.I did not expect that for sure.Indeed no further reason for this kind of discussion.

PS

Maybe some guys wait untill a product hits the market before talking like this.Hear the mic first..then talk.
This thread probably has less negative energy than any Warm thread ever. Warm listed the components, and some people who know the 251 circuit pointed out a couple of simple mods that could bring it closer to the original design. I didn't see where Warm was bashed, and on the contrary, I said I'm excited to hear this mic. Warm introduced their first microphone just a few years ago. That's not a negative opinion, it's just a fact.

Warm makes budget gear and they cut corners to hit a price point. There's nothing wrong with that, just realize what you are buying. Upton and Bock aren't ripoff artists for charging thousands for their 251s, it's a different product aimed at a different market.

I totally understand why people want to buy budget gear but I don't understand why people get offended that their budget gear could be better.
Old 3 weeks ago
MYN
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I get what Monkey is saying. Considering how close, er, near identical the WA-251's internals are to Dany Bouchard's D-251, it's not too much of a leap to suggest that the sonics of Dany's DIY design and Warm's are fairly close. The D-251 has been around since 2014 on GroupDIY.com and a quick look at the internals gives away a lot.

D-251: Vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com

WA-251: Production Expert | Warm Audio Announce Their New WA-251 Multi-Pattern Valve Condenser Microphone

And of course, Dany's similar D-12 mic originally specs out a Russian PIO cap for more of a creamy, vintage tone as opposed to the more aggressive 251 tone. As someone who has personally built several custom D-12s for producers from NYC to Seoul, I can attest that the difference between a PIO and the kind of metal propylene cap in the WA-251 is quite noticeable with the PIO being, to put it simply, thicker sounding.

D-12: Vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com

So, capsule aside. It would be reasonable to assume that Warm is most likely using the popular edge-terminated K-67 backplate variant of the original CK-12 style capsule (most likely a 3u Audio capsule), which should sound really nice in this circuit. But if Monkey used a more authentic recreation like a Heiserman or a Tim Campbell (both more expensive) than it stands to reason that his mic could sound closer to the "real thing" than Warm's.

I'm sure Warm's mic will sound very good to most people and will leave some wanting more. It represents a fantastic deal and ultimately, it doesn't matter whose name is on it, but how you feel it works within your own world.

But that being said, I'm siding with Monkey on this one. His experience building this circuit and with DIY in general gives him enough authority to comment on the probability of the sonics as well as any possible suggestions that could potentially lean the WA-251 toward a more authentic recreation of a 251.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hello my friends..

I will just say what I said before and then leave this thread untill we have more audio:It is a new mic.Not even delivered.I would suggest we give it first a try before we put it in theoretical pieces?I mean it is a matter of days now..

Thank you and have a nice evening.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello my friends..

I will just say what I said before and then leave this thread untill we have more audio:It is a new mic.Not even delivered.I would suggest we give it first a try before we put it in theoretical pieces?I mean it is a matter of days now..

I'm always of the mindset of "try it before you make comments", but in this case it's a little different. This is one of the most copied mic designs in history, and there's not a whole lot going on in there. The design has been done to death, so I don't really see anything weird about a few members with experience building this type of microphone making comments about how different components are going to change the sound. I think at this point and with this style of microphone, it's not a huge leap to look at the specs and make some guesses and suggestions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello my friends..

Yeah who can argue with a “I’m gonna take my ball and go home” attitude when you suddenly realize you have unintentionally exposed how little you understand. Especially when you can just be dismissive of anyone who may have more experience or knowledge about mics than you. Thank you for continuing to make GS hilarious.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Wow..just wow..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone get to get the mic out today? How did it look/sound?
Old 3 weeks ago
MYN
Gear Maniac

I was at NAMM today and swung by the Warm booth and had a very nice chat with Bryce. He told me that their WA-251 circuit was designed by Dany Bouchard, so it is extremely likely it sounds almost identical to MonkeyXX's D-251. I was glad to hear Dany gets a royalty for each one. That dude deserves it. I have a feeling this mic will be quite popular.

The WA-251 looks very nice. For all intents and purposes, it's an identical body (with a very nice cream finish) to an Apex 460 with an upgraded headbasket, pretty much exactly what you see in the product photos.

I did not try out their mics. Although every mic company has their mics out to demo through headphones, it's impossible to really hear what they sound like on the insane NAMM show floor.
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"We're going to be trying male vocals and acoustic guitars"

Uh Oh.....!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
That was a great little shootout. I definitely like the Flea 47 a bit more than the Warm. It has a little extra presence and sounds just a touch more "alive" to my ears. The Flea 12 and the WA 251 are a toss up here for me. They are all really great sounding mics, and you couldn't go wrong with any of them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search