The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fuse Audio Labs releases the VQA-154 American Vintage EQ DAW Software
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Great... Bought
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Possible bug...

When using the mousewheel to adjust gain values... the freq selector is also changing.
Set it to the smallest value > turn the mousewheel in the + direction > at a given point the freq selector will change to next value.

This is the same for all bands... and in either gain value direction.

Will you please look into it?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
This plugin sounds more 70s to me than all the Neve and API emulations out there. Like something Kush audio would have made.

The top end has my favourite texture, greasy and smooth with an acidic aftertaste. I want to lick it. I want to put it on my tongue. I want to get swallowed by a giant fractal that woke to it's senses because the absurdity of it's own inexistence. For i've seen my birth many times, and you are not just a backdrop, but part of an entity that went insane of loneliness, and tore itself to a billion pieces to cure that. Now we are colliding waves in space not unlike sound that... wait what?
anyway cool plugin, cool plugin.
Please write more plugin reviews, and invite me to your test parties
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
This plugin sounds more 70s to me than all the Neve and API emulations out there. Like something Kush audio would have made.

The top end has my favourite texture, greasy and smooth with an acidic aftertaste. I want to lick it. I want to put it on my tongue. I want to get swallowed by a giant fractal that woke to it's senses because the absurdity of it's own inexistence. For i've seen my birth many times, and you are not just a backdrop, but part of an entity that went insane of loneliness, and tore itself to a billion pieces to cure that. Now we are colliding waves in space not unlike sound that... wait what?
anyway cool plugin, cool plugin.
Did Ray unlock the Dopamine code ? is it hidden inside the high freq knobs ?

This guy is Milkshake's Peer !
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

. Fast, reactive GUI = Check!
. Low system demands = Check!
. Sounds great = Check!
. Fairly priced = Check!
. Doesn't use hype or famous producer names to market it = Check!

Looks like I've found another great Plug-in from Fuse Audio, and probably one of a small set of goto eqs (other than surgical Pro Q). I like Axis EQ by Slyfi (Kush), this has a similar but different vibe and is a bit nicer to work with too. I love proportional Q, fixed band free gain eqs like these.

This eq, a good blend between precision and character.

It looks pretty nice too, big fan of the black/yellow look. And nice clear GUI (doesn't need realistic photoreal 3D rendering to help fool the ears )

hp/lp filters would have been nice but not a deal breaker.
Small gain adjustments with mouse (and Ctrl) are a bit iffy

Keep the great products coming.

I'm off to see what hyped up non algorithmic EQ I can better with this eq.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
I didn't want to drop this in the El Rey thread because it's not cool to do, but I wanted to let you know that I A/Bd 25A and El Rey blind one night and prefer the 25A every time. Additionally, throwing Softube Tape on the B setting and rolling off a bit of the highs within it coupled with the 25A gets extremely close to the El Rey while sounding better to my ears. It doesn't have that weird silkiness that ER has. I know some people dig that, but to me it's a little smeary.
That sounds like a plan...

Except I think it 'is cool' to do, why not? Barely any thread on here about a new plug gets to the end without a nebula fan saying "nothing touches nebula", so why not actually point out where you can get close and/or surpass if you can? Information is power, for everyone, and I can clearly see the bias people give towards acqua because of the so called 'closest thing to hardware' badge they've stuck themselves with, it makes people ignore flaws, it makes people 'prefer' the nebula because they assume 'well the hardware probably does this so I just want that' (when in fact it probably sounds no closer to the hardware than a good algo and often has some serious sonic bugs that just don't exist in good algos!).

Because it's different tech, unique (for a reason - nobody else is arrogant enough to put that much stress on users systems for very little gain but it's G's pet project so he's in for the long run now even after modern computers have made top algos much closer to hardware anyway), expensive, slow, hungry and photo-realistic, people want to believe. I ain't buying it G .

I listen to my own ears, not marketing hype, not Greg Wells (who must be getting at least 50% for each plug sold @ $300 full price that'll add up if he can speak of things in 'magic never before done in the box' tone ), not Dave Pensado (who seems to love everything that is sent to him) or anyone. Test for yourselves without any hype or bias and the results are clear. Great algo at 88/96 in modern times is as good if not better than nebula with NONE of the downsides.

FWIW I have real hardware, I know the limitations of plug-ins, ALL plugs inc Acqua, but the algo plugs work great, sound great, react great and do what I need once ITB and don't ruin anything. I wouldn't personally use Nebula as any 'hardware replacement' only as a plug in, if it's worthy, based on how it performs sounds reacts and the company behind it, their attitude, the pricing etc. I've never seen the issues present in pretty much all Acqua plugs (until the next best core since sliced bread) in any hardware I've owned, and I've not seen it in any algos either. It's a unique pattern of sometimes quite severe issues that belongs to nebula alone. Leave it to the hoop jumpers I say, I've got music to mix not pretty plug-ins to collect to feel like I own the 'real thing' (then can't even use them either cos CPU is on its knees or it's ringing, echoing, crapping out, not saturating properly, not compressing properly or w/e the next bug in Acquas will be when it's found). So many plug-ins released by them, so long to fix issues on older ones. It's backstreet seller logistics at UAD prices!

Yeah, Acquas for me always had a fake sheen the more you let them build up over a mix. I think it has something to do with the sampling process (like extra round trips in/out for hardware through converters but multiple times over and over) mixed with a similar, undesirable, vibe I often got from convolution reverbs vs algo (Slate's verbsuite lex vs the stunning/my goto Relab LX480 for example). I know it's not pure convolution but more advanced but still gives me that 'fake' vibe I don't get from running great algos at 88.2/96k (or lower if it's really good and handles it well).
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
That sounds like a plan...

Except I think it 'is cool' to do, why not? Barely any thread on here about a new plug gets to the end without a nebula fan saying "nothing touches nebula", so why not actually point out where you can get close and/or surpass if you can? Information is power, for everyone, and I can clearly see the bias people give towards acqua because of the so called 'closest thing to hardware' badge they've stuck themselves with, it makes people ignore flaws, it makes people 'prefer' the nebula because they assume 'well the hardware probably does this so I just want that' (when in fact it probably sounds no closer to the hardware than a good algo and often has some serious sonic bugs that just don't exist in good algos!).

Because it's different tech, unique (for a reason - nobody else is arrogant enough to put that much stress on users systems for very little gain but it's G's pet project so he's in for the long run now even after modern computers have made top algos much closer to hardware anyway), expensive, slow, hungry and photo-realistic, people want to believe. I aunt buying it G. I listen to my own ears, not marketing hype, not Greg Wells (who must be getting at least 50% for each plug sold @ $300 full price that'll add up if he can speak of things in 'magic never before done in the box' tone ), not Dave Pensado (who seems to love everything that is sent to him) or anyone. Test for yourselves without any hype or bias and the results are clear. Great algo at 88/96 in modern times is as good if not better than nebula with NONE of the downsides.

FWIW I have real hardware, I know the limitations of plug-ins, ALL plugs inc Acqua, but the algo plugs work great, sound great, react great and do what I need once ITB and don't ruin anything. I wouldn't personally use Nebula as any 'hardware replacement' only as a plug in, if it's worthy, based on how it performs sounds reacts and the company behind it, their attitude, the pricing etc. I've never seen the issues present in pretty much all Acqua plugs (until the next best core since sliced bread) in any hardware I've owned, and I've not seen it in any algos either. It's a unique pattern of sometimes quite severe issues that belongs to nebula alone. Leave it to the hoop jumpers I say, I've got music to mix not pretty plug-ins to collect to feel like I own the 'real thing' (then can't even use them either cos CPU is on its knees or it's ringing, echoing, crapping out, not saturating properly, not compressing properly or w/e the next bug in Acquas will be when it's found). So many plug-ins released by them, so long to fix issues on older ones. It's backstreet seller logistics at UAD prices!

Yeah, Acquas for me always had a fake sheen the more you let them build up over a mix. I think it has something to do with the sampling process (like extra round trips in/out for hardware through converters but multiple times over and over) mixed with a similar, undesirable, vibe I often got from convolution reverbs vs algo (Slate's verbsuit lex vs the stunning/,my goto Relab LX480 for example). I know it's not pure convolution but more advanced but still gives me that 'fake' vibe I don't get from running great algos at 88.2/96k (or lower if it's really good and handles it well).
I just don't want to become that guy and then get in to an argument with the AA fans. I also respect Greg and like what he does. El Rey was the first AA plugin I tried, and it is great, but it's not $200+ great AND I ended up preferring 25A + Tape anyway. I know 25A is a different animal and sounds different on its own, but the addition of Tape (model B) adds that big bass bump and glossy top that comes with El Rey. So for anyone chasing that sound exactly, this is how to get it for a lot less.

Now this new EQ is wild and Ray can really seem to do no wrong. I'm using MOSTLY Fuse and BRA plugins now for EQs and compression, and alternate flavours of tape with Magnetite. I don't have the VCL-4 yet, but will grab it the next time it's on sale. Regret missing that one.

I don't think I'll be going back and trying anymore AA plugins. I'm a big mix as I produce guy and if I can't have things sounding great as I go while running a low CPU tax I don't want the plug in my chain. Whatever perceived quality increase the AA plugins running convolution have or don't are completely negated by the fact that they won't fit my workflow. Whatever BRA, Fuse, Boz, and in some cases SKNote, are doing with their algo modelling just *feels* different and the way the stuff reacts is just way above mostly everything else out there.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just don't want to become that guy and then get in to an argument with the AA fans..

Don't worry, I'll be that guy. (In case you didn't realise.. I said yesterday in the El Rey thread that I had pretty much nailed el rey for my needs by doing similar to what you describe except I used BRA's Pultec EQ to dial in the flavour and fuses's 25al-rey, 25a to get the RCA Vari-mu thing happening.

And I wasn't lying either, while it's not EXACT, it's close enough to not quibble over, and like you over repeated tests (inc more today where I tweaked my 2-plug combo further to match el-rey and surpass it again) I preferred the algo combo every time, on every bus/source/mix. The ability to adjust the low end thickness and high end cut (and even a touch of boost) gives me far better control over using el-rey and again, none of the downsides like slow loading, slow gui, slow bypassing for A/B and without that slight glossy sheen that I don't like when used on many sources.

Hopefully it put more eyes on Ray's plugs anyway as he deserves it I think, and doesn't need Greg Wells (yes he has my respect too as a producer/mixer but not as the be-all-end-all knowledge on what a good plug in is or isn't esp as he mostly relies on hardware anyway) to vouch for their quality. It was one of his 'magical tone never before done itb' comments that moved me to write in that thread in the first place. I was thinking of just keeping it to myself until I read so much hype, I couldn't take it anymore!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
And I wasn't lying either, while it's not EXACT, it's close enough to not quibble over, and like you over repeated tests (inc more today where I tweaked my 2-plug combo further to match el-rey and surpass it again) I preferred the algo combo every time, on every bus/source/mix. The ability to adjust the low end thickness and high end cut (and even a touch of boost) gives me far better control over using el-rey and again, none of the downsides like slow loading, slow gui, slow bypassing for A/B and without that slight glossy sheen that I don't like when used on many sources.
YES. That's what I'm talking about!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I'm loving these fuse plugins also.

-perfect ballistics on the knobs
-great sound quality (I work at 96k)
-clear guis
-awesome price
-for me 100% bug free on release day (map pro cheese grater with protools 2018)

I like the tcs-68 well enough, and I own magnetite, tape, vtm and satin, but I can't help but wish that Fuse wouldn't do a full featured multi-track tape machine. Id love to see them do an MCi jh24 with GP9. I think they could nail it. Peace.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Going to demo this right now! Im so excited like a child. Thank you Fuse!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Possible bug...

When using the mousewheel to adjust gain values... the freq selector is also changing.
Set it to the smallest value > turn the mousewheel in the + direction > at a given point the freq selector will change to next value.

This is the same for all bands... and in either gain value direction.

Will you please look into it?
Hi BM Grabber,

This one is already listed und known issues and affects all Fuse plugins in some Windows environments when the UI size is set to anything but 100%.

Well try to resolve that asap, in the meantime here are two workarounds when that happens:
1. Set the UI size to 100% (Normal).
2. Click and drag on one of the “stuck” controls once.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Ray
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotabateno View Post
Thanks Ray for putting stunning stuff like this out. To me this EQ has a tonal quality that is second to none, like most of your recent stuff. No doubt this will be all over my mixes for a long time to come.

I also want to thank you for something else though. Born and raised in Düsseldorf I work and live in foreign countries for many years now, currently Iraq. As a retired engineer I record and mix for my pleasure only these days, and having access to top notch tools like yours, crafted in my hometown, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. So, just know that enjoying your plugins helps keeping me balanced and healthy in sometimes rough environements.

Cheers mate, keep it up
Hi Cotabateno,

Thanks for your kind words!

It's moving to learn that one's work makes somebody on the other end of the world, a fellow Rheinländer at that, feel at home.

I have found your portfolio and I have to say your photos are incredible - on many levels. Thanks for sharing your photo reports with the world.

And as sd pointed out already, stay safe.

Best,
Ray
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Still demoing and will probably buy at some point before demo expires Still not 100% sure though, mainly because the EQ bands are quiet sharp (narrow Q), especially noticable in upper mids and in my few minutes with it I wasn't sure if I need this sound. It can quickly sound very EQ'd (maybe great for snares and percussion). Love the tightness on bass though. Going to the studio and will test it more properly today!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
El Rey was the first AA plugin I tried, and it is great, but it's not $200+ great
Exactly my sentiment.

While I value Greg's humbleness and genuine enthusiasm, I THINK that in the digital realm we live in - it's just a mix-and-match game. pick one comp, marry it with some other processor and BAM ! you have a new combo. this new combo might be good ENOUGH for 99% of users.

Quote:
AND I ended up preferring 25A + Tape anyway. I know 25A is a different animal and sounds different on its own, but the addition of Tape (model B) adds that big bass bump and glossy top that comes with El Rey. So for anyone chasing that sound exactly, this is how to get it for a lot less.
Thanks for that
Old 4 days ago
Ray is putting an excellent pressure on many plug-in creators with that quality, detail of emulation and that price-philosophy on top. Amazing, keep it up!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just don't want to become that guy and then get in to an argument with the AA fans. I also respect Greg and like what he does. El Rey was the first AA plugin I tried, and it is great, but it's not $200+ great AND I ended up preferring 25A + Tape anyway. I know 25A is a different animal and sounds different on its own, but the addition of Tape (model B) adds that big bass bump and glossy top that comes with El Rey. So for anyone chasing that sound exactly, this is how to get it for a lot less.

Now this new EQ is wild and Ray can really seem to do no wrong. I'm using MOSTLY Fuse and BRA plugins now for EQs and compression, and alternate flavours of tape with Magnetite. I don't have the VCL-4 yet, but will grab it the next time it's on sale. Regret missing that one.

I don't think I'll be going back and trying anymore AA plugins. I'm a big mix as I produce guy and if I can't have things sounding great as I go while running a low CPU tax I don't want the plug in my chain. Whatever perceived quality increase the AA plugins running convolution have or don't are completely negated by the fact that they won't fit my workflow. Whatever BRA, Fuse, Boz, and in some cases SKNote, are doing with their algo modelling just *feels* different and the way the stuff reacts is just way above mostly everything else out there.

Well said !

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

EQ from Ray! Can't wait to try this!

@highvoltage - amazing post
Old 4 days ago
Geariophile

Quote:

Yeah, Acquas for me always had a fake sheen the more you let them build up over a mix. I think it has something to do with the sampling process (like extra round trips in/out for hardware through converters but multiple times over and over) mixed with a similar, undesirable, vibe I often got from convolution reverbs vs algo (Slate's verbsuite lex vs the stunning/my goto Relab LX480 for example). I know it's not pure convolution but more advanced but still gives me that 'fake' vibe I don't get from running great algos at 88.2/96k (or lower if it's really good and handles it well).
Acustica stuff to me too has a 'sound of the sampler' sonic element on all of it added to whatever the actual thing they sampled sounds like. But I'd call it hazy and soft instead of sheen. It takes some clean muscle and somehow makes it a little weaker and foggier. It also DOES sound the most 'organic' of plugs, and sometimes the tone is just ace, but for me best used on electronics, as real mic sources tend to lose something I don't want to give away. The best use I think is very simple Nebula programs for tone after algo plugs, for the events when that tone is a good thing. Least amount of interaction and computer suffering too.

Sorry for the detour folks.....
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

All I know is that now I want to buy Fuse 25A.

Lost the Black Friday sale... Maybe on Christmas we'll have a good deal, Ray?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
All I know is that now I want to buy Fuse 25A.

Lost the Black Friday sale... Maybe on Christmas we'll have a good deal, Ray?
You definitely need it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

A few request:
Is it possible if the frequencies could be clickable?
A gentle HPF/LPF?

This is indeed very smooth and natural.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
A few request:
Is it possible if the frequencies could be clickable?
A gentle HPF/LPF?

This is indeed very smooth and natural.
They are clickable, use right click for that.

Regarding HPF/LPF I doubt it because this is a hardware emulation, let's see what Ray will say.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Let's see what Ray will say.
Track record (lol) says he won't be adding HPF/LPF. He tends to stick pretty close to the hardware. But you never know
Old 4 days ago
Geariophile

What would be lovely instead would be a set of separate hi/lo filters from something well sounding. As their own plug. IMO Sorry, off topic again....lol
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
What would be lovely instead would be a set of separate hi/lo filters from something well sounding. As their own plug. IMO Sorry, off topic again....lol
Exactly what I had in mind
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseaudiolabs View Post
Exactly what I had in mind
Perhaps the best way, yes (to keep it separated). But still, it takes up one more plug-in slot for just a couple of buttons <cough vhl-3c cough)

Last edited by Henrik Hjortnaes; 4 days ago at 07:44 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Is that a 32C filter I can smell? Will be looking forward to whatever filters Fuse/BRA puts out, either way.

Does this guy even sleep? The Fuse release schedule in 2018 has been truly remarkable. I'd be really interested in some synths with this level of modeling.

Thanks Mr Dratwa for all that you do
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
This is fantastic. Has anyone put it through an analyser yet to check for cramping?
Old 3 days ago
Geariophile

Whatever filter you're doing, pleeeeease add a bump button a la 832c to the hipass!!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search