The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tokyo Dawn Labs release Nova and Nova GE version II Equalizer Plugins
Old 12th December 2018
We've released a hotfix addressing various issues reported since the 2.0.0 update.

2.0.1 Hotfix update

# Fixed bug in Lookahead compensation
# Fixed AAX version 1 to version 2 automation recall issues
# Fixed Online Registration
# Corrected several little UI bugs
# Fixed filter instability on changing peaking/low-shelving filter type

Nova GE, updated demo installers: TDR Nova – Gentleman's Edition | Tokyo Dawn Records
Nova GE, updated installers: Customer Profile - Login | Tokyo Dawn Records
Nova Standard, updated installers: TDR Nova | Tokyo Dawn Records

Note for AAX only: This should also finally solve the nasty AAX Nova 1 to Nova 2 automation recall problems.
Users experiencing trouble can now recall old Nova 1 projects by opening their Nova.conf or Nova GE.conf files and updating:

<on_load AAX_stepped_force_old_behavior="0"/>
to
<on_load AAX_stepped_force_old_behavior="1"/>

and then reloading the project. In doubt, contact our support!

PS: To find the Tokyo Dawn Labs config files, simply go to Settings > Local Data and press the top right "open config directory" button.
Old 13th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
@AreYouHuman: Our ideal is something we call "Musical flexibility". "Technical flexibility", i.e. "offer it because it's possible" is clearly not an area in which we'd like to compete...
AMEN.
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
We've released a hotfix addressing various issues reported since the 2.0.0 update.

2.0.1 Hotfix update

Hi,
I'm having a few issues with the GE. (latest rev of pro tools 2018 on high sierra)

When I select all bands and alt+click on the gain, the gain goes up or down according to the last selected band instead of resetting all the bands' gain. Same goes for the Q or anything else.
Nova 1.1 (not GE) didn't do that so I'm wondering if it's normal. I liked being able to reset all bands in a couple of gestures instead of having to do it one band at a time....
Another method would be to select the preset "default", but that doesn't do anything either...

Last bug I'm having is with the static match to pink noise.
I do the whole thing and match and get a nice curve but if I try to convert a band to a dynamic one, I can't adjust a thing anymore. Every time I'm going to adjust any parameter, it'll go the the wideband settings and adjust that.

Last edited by Jackie Moon; 13th December 2018 at 04:27 PM..
Old 13th December 2018
Yes, something still isn't right with our updates and PT (reading mails right now). We're at it, sorry.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi Fabian,

This AM while fooling around with nova, while dialing in a positive gain eq using the mouse wheel the band selector kept jumping between group and the other bands. *addressed below
Old 13th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
Hi Fabian,

This AM while fooling around with nova, while dialing in a positive gain eq using the mouse wheel the band selector kept jumping between group and the other bands. I clipped a short video in case my description does not suffice.

This relates to an Ableton/AU exclusive bug. Out of our control. Pls use the VST version!
Old 13th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
Hi,
I'm having a few issues with the GE. (latest rev of pro tools 2018 on high sierra)
Pls redownload and reinstall! (sending out a newsletter right now asking for the same)
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pls redownload and reinstall! (sending out a newsletter right now asking for the same)
The default preset still doesn't reset the plugin and resetting several bands like in V1 still doesn't work either.
The weird wideband behaviour seams better though.
Thanks !
Old 14th December 2018
For a full reset, select default preset and right click > reset to default state.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

2.0.1 Hotfix update

Nova GE, updated demo installers: TDR Nova – Gentleman's Edition | Tokyo Dawn Records

Note for AAX only: This should also finally solve the nasty AAX Nova 1 to Nova 2 automation recall problems.
Users experiencing trouble can now recall old Nova 1 projects by opening their Nova.conf or Nova GE.conf files and updating:

<on_load AAX_stepped_force_old_behavior="0"/>
to
<on_load AAX_stepped_force_old_behavior="1"/>

and then reloading the project. In doubt, contact our support!

PS: To find the Tokyo Dawn Labs config files, simply go to Settings > Local Data and press the top right "open config directory" button.

Thank you and the team so much for this free update. When will y’all add M/S? Hopefully V3
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For a full reset, select default preset and right click > reset to default state.
Thanks !
Old 14th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
Thank you and the team so much for this free update. When will y’all add M/S? Hopefully V3
Already has M/S (listed as Sum & Difference), click the Stereo drop-down box at the top. If you want to affect both, you'll need to run two instances.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Already has M/S (listed as Sum & Difference), click the Stereo drop-down box at the top. If you want to affect both, you'll need to run two instances.
That’s what I’m saying, I’d like to do it in one instance
Old 14th December 2018
This preset on Bass DI causing constant clicks during processing. Win64 VST with latest Reaper.

Quote:
<TDRNovaGE bandSelected_1="Off" bandActive_1="On" bandGain_1="1.7" bandQ_1="0.70" bandFreq_1="84" bandType_1="Low S" bandSCQ_1="0.50" bandSCFreq_1="50" bandSCType_1="Linked" bandDynDirection_1="Above T" bandDynLookahead_1="Off" bandDynActive_1="On" bandDynThreshold_1="-25.0" bandDynRatio_1="2.0" bandDynSplit_1="On" bandDynAttack_1="20" bandDynReleaseType_1="Dynamic" bandDynRelease_1="200" bandSelected_2="Off" bandActive_2="Off" bandGain_2="0.0" bandQ_2="0.60" bandFreq_2="120" bandType_2="Bell" bandSCQ_2="0.60" bandSCFreq_2="120" bandSCType_2="Linked" bandDynDirection_2="Above T" bandDynLookahead_2="Off" bandDynActive_2="Off" bandDynThreshold_2="0.0" bandDynRatio_2="2.0" bandDynSplit_2="On" bandDynAttack_2="10.0" bandDynReleaseType_2="Dynamic" bandDynRelease_2="180" bandSelected_3="Off" bandActive_3="On" bandGain_3="1.1" bandQ_3="1.00" bandFreq_3="206" bandType_3="Bell" bandSCQ_3="0.60" bandSCFreq_3="340" bandSCType_3="Linked" bandDynDirection_3="Above T" bandDynLookahead_3="Off" bandDynActive_3="On" bandDynThreshold_3="-19.1" bandDynRatio_3="3.0" bandDynSplit_3="On" bandDynAttack_3="5.0" bandDynReleaseType_3="Dynamic" bandDynRelease_3="160" bandSelected_4="Off" bandActive_4="On" bandGain_4="0.0" bandQ_4="0.70" bandFreq_4="1200" bandType_4="Bell" bandSCQ_4="0.70" bandSCFreq_4="1200" bandSCType_4="Linked" bandDynDirection_4="Above T" bandDynLookahead_4="Off" bandDynActive_4="Off" bandDynThreshold_4="0.0" bandDynRatio_4="2.0" bandDynSplit_4="On" bandDynAttack_4="4.0" bandDynReleaseType_4="Dynamic" bandDynRelease_4="100" bandSelected_5="Off" bandActive_5="On" bandGain_5="0.0" bandQ_5="0.41" bandFreq_5="3200" bandType_5="Bell" bandSCQ_5="0.41" bandSCFreq_5="3200" bandSCType_5="Linked" bandDynDirection_5="Above T" bandDynLookahead_5="Off" bandDynActive_5="Off" bandDynThreshold_5="0.0" bandDynRatio_5="2.0" bandDynSplit_5="On" bandDynAttack_5="2.0" bandDynReleaseType_5="Dynamic" bandDynRelease_5="50" bandSelected_6="Off" bandActive_6="On" bandGain_6="0.0" bandQ_6="1.07" bandFreq_6="6000" bandType_6="High S" bandSCQ_6="1.07" bandSCFreq_6="6000" bandSCType_6="Linked" bandDynDirection_6="Above T" bandDynLookahead_6="Off" bandDynActive_6="Off" bandDynThreshold_6="0.0" bandDynRatio_6="2.0" bandDynSplit_6="On" bandDynAttack_6="1.00" bandDynReleaseType_6="Dynamic" bandDynRelease_6="25" hpSelected_master="Off" hpActive_master="Off" hpFreq_master="15" hpType_master="24dB/oct" lpSelected_master="Off" lpActive_master="Off" lpFreq_master="30000" lpType_master="24dB/oct" bandGain_wide="0.0" bandDynActive_wide="Off" bandDynThreshold_wide="0.0" bandDynRatio_wide="1.5" bandDynAttack_wide="8.0" bandDynDirection_wide="Above T" bandDynLookahead_wide="Off" bandDynReleaseType_wide="Dynamic" bandDynRelease_wide="200" bypass_master="Off" delta_master="Off" dryMix_master="0.0" gain_master="0.0" eqAutoGainParam="On" qualityParam="Precise-" channelsParam="Stereo" analyzerModeParam="Analyzer: In" displayEqRangeParam="-/+ 12 dB" displayFFTRangeParam="48 dB" sidechainModeParam="Int SC" filterModeParam="Musical"/>
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
The SmartOps state intentionally does not recall. SmartOps is really just meant to set up the regular plugin parameters, i.e. generate a preset. Only the regular plugin parameters recall.

SmartOps imply that the operator presses APPLY at some point.

This clear separation of tasks is a feature, not a bug. SmartOps is a generator for signal aware presets. Not more, not less.
The intended workflow is simply:

1. Run SmartOps, pick an operation, play around with range and press apply.
2. Fine tune manually.
Done!

I'm curious to understand why you'd want to regularly run SmartOps several times during a project's lifespan? I understand the need for it when the input material changes, but then, you'd like to relearn anyway and start from default. What scenario do you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I get that the SmartOps pre-apply doesn't recall, and the rationale behind it. . I was saying that there are times when I've hit apply and tweaked, gone to recall a session after taking a break and closing the DAW, etc, and at least in appearance, the position/depth of the bands has changed when the session reopens, which not great for recalls.

I'll see if I can replicate it/confirm what I thought I was seeing.

Quote:
You mean issues with regular recall?
Hey, here are screen shots of the same instance of Nova, set to dynamic deresonate, right after saving a session in Reaper (Pre-Recall), and after closing and reopening the same session without any changes (Post-Recall). It looks like the thresholds and center frequencies are the same but some of the Q values have randomly altered, most noticeably in Band 6.

However, if I save the results as a global user preset, and then close the session, it recalls correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Dawn Labs release Nova and Nova GE version II-nova-post-recall-crop.png   Tokyo Dawn Labs release Nova and Nova GE version II-nova-pre-recall-crop.png  

Last edited by ziggysane; 4 weeks ago at 10:56 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The new Smart Ops features take this plugin to a new level. Wow! Been using the pink matching reference in SlickEQ M for awhile and always think "wouldn't it be cool if these bands were dynamic" and Nova does that now. Bloody superb piece of genius technology, this is - from some of the deepest thinkers in the game at such a good price. Thank you TDR.

Edit: But I might also add that there are random crashes (takes the whole DAW down) in (my) FL Studio if you close the plugin GUI straight after changing the quality setting. What's happening is when you change the quality setting, there's a CPU spike - you need to wait for the spike to pass/calm down before closing the GUI or else BOOM, FL Studio kicks you out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
The new Smart Ops features take this plugin to a new level. Wow! Been using the pink matching reference in SlickEQ M for awhile and always think "wouldn't it be cool if these bands were dynamic" and Nova does that now. Bloody superb piece of genius technology, this is - from some of the deepest thinkers in the game at such a good price. Thank you TDR.
How do you use the pink noise function?
On mastering or ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
On mastering or ?
it's all in the manual if you can't find
where it is explained in this thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
On mastering or ?
Tokyo Dawn Labs release Nova and Nova GE version II
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
it's all in the manual if you can't find
where it is explained in this thread.
sorry my english is not good ... what I meant on what tracks do you use the pink noise function ... only for mastering or on vocals, guitars .... ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

On mastering, yes--it's unlikely for a single instrument to ever be able to fill up the entire pink noise spectrum. You use it when you want the whole mix to be smoothed out a little.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have a major Bug in 2.0.1 update of Nova. When I select band IV band II links and moves also. Weird.

Protools 2018 and Mojave
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
On mastering or ?
I had the same question. It was very well answered and discussed earlier in this there from here and some posts on: Tokyo Dawn Labs release Nova and Nova GE version II
Old 4 weeks ago
Here's the accumulation of several fixes, in a small update.
Many thanks for all the bug reports! This is highly appreciated.

Please install the update ASAP.

2.0.2 Hotfix update

# Fixed recall problems

(Note that all the recent recall issues have been of "read only" nature, existing session/automation data is intact)

Last edited by FabienTDR; 4 weeks ago at 06:00 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the accumulation of several fixes, in a small update.
Many thanks for all the bug reports! This is highly appreciated.

Please install the update ASAP.

2.0.2 Hotfix update

# Fixed recall problems

(Note that all the recent recall issues have been of "read only" nature, existing session/automation data is intact)

Does it fix that FL Studio GUI minimize/OS bug?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can you unlock LPF 12/24db slope on Eco mode?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Important note: A few PT/AAX users informed us about an automation recall compatibility issue, which sadly turns out to be quite tricky for us to solve. If you are attempting to recall automation heavy PT projects (automating older versions of nova), expect some problems. In doubt, get in touch with support.

VST and AU don't have this problem, though.

found this post on the first page of thread, and did not go through the whole thread to see if it was discussed later - but this is very important for my workflow, so i'll ask my question:

does it mean that:

1. i should not automate the new version but i can automate the old version of NOVA GE

or

2. i can automate the new version of NOVA but i should not load the old sessions where the old version of NOVA was automated

??
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What are the knee values for each ratio?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Did anyone plugin doctor this True Iron? Curious how look like those curves
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Slight feature request. I’d like the Analyzer to be able to visualise the side chain signal and internal signal simultaneously. So you can visualise any frequency masking. I’d also like mode where the eq bands react to the frequencies of the side chain input signal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search