The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica Audio releases TAUPE: "The king of sample-based analog tape plugins" Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I also have the lasers on all tapes. It seems like it doesn't like anything with snappy transients or am I missing something?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
Dear colleague,
would you mind just letting those of us who really enjoy what AA do alongside of their shortcomings, enjoy ourselves on this thread and not have to weed through your TRASH. With all due respect, I know you have had it with AA. All good. But then please have the courtesy to leave and go to the million other threads waiting for you on GS unless you have something valuable for the betterment of this plugin to contribute.

Kind Regards
Peter
Did you hear the zaaaaaaaap in the posted recordings?
Did you read the reports about the other bugs?

Why are you mad at me for mentioning the obvious problems
rather than at the problems and those who create it?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Now that I see you in this thread, I'm sure taupe will be an huge seller
Thank you!!!
A perfectly rational response to the problems at hand.
Old 1 week ago
Man this (B9) and magenta for Urban music is the truth! Just wow to this (sticks money back in pocket for zulu), I'm set on tape now. I thought i would miss the uad ATR-102...naw, I'm good and any tape fanatic will be too!
1 day down and 29 more to fully test out! Lucky artist this month!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Just hit an electronic mixbus with C3 (Rocky) paired with Viridian (PYE comp, Helios EQ). Magic.
gotta try that thanks bro!
either way this is the shortest trial of AAs stuff. I am so getting this tomorrow
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just composed a quick little oldschool Infected Mushroom type loop to demonstrate Taupe for those that can't get the download working or are on the fence.

This is 15 tracks of simple drums and synths. Every single track except the master bus has an instance of TAUPE on it. That's it, nothing fancy.. just various models from TAUPE chosen to suite the track in question, driven to various degrees of tape compression and harmonic goodness.

I think the plugin speaks for itself quite well.

TAUPE OFF <-- Google Drive link. 16bit 44.1kHz.

TAUPE ON <-- Google Drive link. 16bit 44.1kHz.

Volume matched quickly by ear watching the master limiter so as to get similar amounts of peak limiting. It's probably off by about +/- 0.5dB or so.. load into your daw and tweak if necessary. I made this simple so you can easily loop it.
Old 1 week ago
I'm also getting the laser on some sources, in the midrange on some of the tapes.

But this thing is magic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
A perfectly rational response to the problems at hand.
Dear colleague, since you do not support or own AA anymore, the problems at hand you allude to are certainly not yours. Please be so considerate and go elsewhere, we will manage just fine here without your support.
Thank you in advance for the mutual respect on your behalf.
Best Regards
Peter
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Really frustrating the past hour the lovely aquarius can't connect to server

Hate for their poor client/server setup is really starting to grow deep. patience running thin...

this always happens on a new release- is it just the traffic? let's get the load balancing in check.

reboot your servers!!!!!! not paying for 24 hour uptime? lol

well atleast a major update is finally coming I can't wait for that.

...but maybe it wont connect to server
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I suspect the servers are getting hammered. It's a pretty big download and most likely several hundred people are trying to get to the demo.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I know its all about tape and its indeed fantastic, but please try A low shelf eq combine with c high shelf eq they

Clean but not without coloration and punchy as hell.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Just composed a quick little oldschool Infected Mushroom type loop to demonstrate Taupe for those that can't get the download working or are on the fence.

This is 15 tracks of simple drums and synths. Every single track except the master bus has an instance of TAUPE on it. That's it, nothing fancy.. just various models from TAUPE chosen to suite the track in question, driven to various degrees of tape compression and harmonic goodness.

I think the plugin speaks for itself quite well.

TAUPE OFF <-- Google Drive link. 16bit 44.1kHz.

TAUPE ON <-- Google Drive link. 16bit 44.1kHz.

Volume matched quickly by ear watching the master limiter so as to get similar amounts of peak limiting. It's probably off by about +/- 0.5dB or so.. load into your daw and tweak if necessary. I made this simple so you can easily loop it.
Thanks.
Given the talk about laser effects, which tape model did you use on the kick bmanic ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Getting the zipper noise here on transient heavy stuff with the trial on 96k. Has to be a bug surely.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Rigout View Post
I know its all about tape and its indeed fantastic, but please try A low shelf eq combine with c high shelf eq they

Clean but not without coloration and punchy as hell.
Fabuloso! They desperately need more punchy eqs and compressors!! Please AA more punchy eqs and compressors.

The first thing they should do is just increase the gain range! they need to stop emulating things so closely as it actually limits the usage. More gain = punchier boosts.

How is the compression. ohhhhh the anticipation. Im gettin so giddy
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If it's anything like the echo, it'll likely be waved off as limitations of the tech.

Until it's fixed.

Then it'll be marketed as Asymmetric Anti-Laser Technology©

P.S. Yet to hear it myself when testing.

Edit - Yes I'm just jesting. Love this plugin.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Thanks.
Given the talk about laser effects, which tape model did you use on the kick bmanic ?
I have the D4 model (I think this is the Nagra) on both kicks, driven quite a bit (kick peaks at around -1dBFS and I hit it an additional +12dB with the input trim.

This is using TAUPE at 44.1kHz. There seems to be more lazer problems at any other sample rate.. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. Will have a longer testing session tomorrow and report my findings to AA once I've thoroughly examined the problem.

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the D4 model (I think this is the Nagra) on both kicks, driven quite a bit (kick peaks at around -1dBFS and I hit it an additional +12dB with the input trim.

This is using TAUPE at 44.1kHz. There seems to be more lazer problems at any other sample rate.. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. Will have a longer testing session tomorrow and report my findings to AA once I've thoroughly examined the problem.

Cheers!
Thanks. I’m mainly working at 44.1 so that is encouraging !
And out of interest, why did you decide not to use Taupe on the stereo bus, just tracks ?
Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Was working at 44.1 when I bounced those Lazer Kickz earlier in the thread too btw.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Interesting, I was testing at 44.1 also.

@PANilsson @Tod Slaughter @mustgroove

What sample rate are you running at?

Edit: Ah.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Damn, just tried on electro beat and lasers are everywhere, with all presets. Pre-releases are about bug fixing with AA so think this should get sorted but worrying that I hear G is saying it's part of sound of tape and if you don't like, move on?

I was about to buy this no question but now having to pause
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
it's part of sound of tape
Nobody could seriously argue this is true.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

FYI Lemon tapes don't have the zippering at all
Old 1 week ago
So everyone here with the issue is hitting the tape at levels you would never hit tape at or what?!
Above me the poster said -1dbfs...that's crazy to me! Did you lower the plugin input?!?! I mean almost all the tape machines are calibrated to -18dbfs so you guys are just killing it from what it sounds like. Please if I'm wrong explain as this seems to be the only thing I'm seeing that's a constant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Thanks. I’m mainly working at 44.1 so that is encouraging !
And out of interest, why did you decide not to use Taupe on the stereo bus, just tracks ?
Cheers
Just to highlight how it works on individual tracks. No real reason really.. just thought it'd demonstrate the differences with on/off more clearly having instances on the individual tracks only. Of course if I had an instance on the master the difference would have been even bigger (not necessarily better though).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
It seems like this D4 indeed has no or very little of lasers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Just to highlight how it works on individual tracks. No real reason really.. just thought it'd demonstrate the differences with on/off more clearly having instances on the individual tracks only. Of course if I had an instance on the master the difference would have been even bigger (not necessarily better though).
Thanks for your time bmanic. will definitely have a listen, although i’m way sold on this already anyways, current laser bugs or not. The piano sound i got out of this tonight
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
So everyone here with the issue is hitting the tape at levels you would never hit tape at or what?!
Above me the poster said -1dbfs...that's crazy to me! Did you lower the plugin input?!?! I mean almost all the tape machines are calibrated to -18dbfs so you guys are just killing it from what it sounds like. Please if I'm wrong explain as this seems to be the only thing I'm seeing that's a constant.
Nope
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
Dear colleague, since you do not support or own AA anymore, the problems at hand you allude to are certainly not yours. Please be so considerate and go elsewhere, we will manage just fine here without your support.
Thank you in advance for the mutual respect on your behalf.
Best Regards
Peter
Peter,

I see that you are eager to see me vacate the thread
discussion because I mentioned the bugs. Your first
reply was delivered with extreme aggression,
this one with dripping sarcasm.

Both approaches obviously intended to offend and intimidate me
(yawn).

How about if you just let others have different viewpoints?
Is this something you can bring yourself to tolerating in a public
forum that obviously is not meant strictly for your own personal gratification?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Slaughter View Post
FYI Lemon tapes don't have the zippering at all
Not advanced enough. This is special Core 13 stuf.
Lemon was just core 11.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
A7, D0, A6, A5, B8, C2, C3, C8, D2 seem to be the worst. The lasers happen regardless of the level the sound comes into Taupe.
Laser disappears if I remove the transient from the sound (increase attack time for example)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search