The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available

Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available-unnamed-1-.png

Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available

Apogee FX Rack Native Plugins: Now Available To Ensemble and Element Series Customers In Limited Release

Apogee Electronics announces Apogee FX Rack is available today as a limited initial release of four native plugins. EQP-1A, Opto-3A, ModEQ 6 and ModComp will be rolling out as a free download to registered Element Series and Ensemble Thunderbolt customers by email.

About Apogee FX Rack

For over three decades Apogee Electronics has set the standard in professional digital audio recording. With its unique and innovative approach to creating hardware products that deliver ultimate sound quality and an inspirational user experience, Apogee has captured the music of the world’s most iconic performers.

Now, Apogee FX Rack brings the same expertise and approach to the world of software audio plugins. Apogee FX Rack combines a premium selection of modern and vintage plugins with audio hardware DSP and simple yet flexible workflow options.

Professional Modern and Vintage Plugins

Apogee FX Rack features a collection of modern and vintage EQ and dynamics plugins. The Pultec EQP-1A (Officially Licensed by Pulse Techniques), Opto-3A, ModEQ 6 and ModComp are all native and Apogee hardware DSP enabled and compatible with AU, VST and AAX formats on macOS.
Flexible and Powerful Workflow - You Decide How You Want To Work

Native Mode

Native mode lets you use Apogee FX Rack plugins in any DAW on your Mac without Apogee hardware connected just like any other plugin.
The hardware DSP in your Apogee Element Series and Ensemble Thunderbolt interfaces, now activated by the Apogee FX Rack system
Print and DualPath™ monitor modes for Element and Ensemble interfaces offer two additional workflow options when recording,

Print Mode

Apply Apogee FX directly to the Apogee hardware input – open the FX Rack in Apogee Control, apply your desired processing and record – FX processing is printed to your DAW track.

DualPath™ Monitor mode

To preserve the flexibility to tweak your processing as you record and build your mix, DualPath Monitor offers a simple solution. When you open a native Apogee FX Rack in your DAW, then link it to an Apogee hardware input, a parallel FX Rack is automatically opened in the low latency monitoring path. Changes made in either plugin are instantly mirrored to maintain a consistent sound. Since most hardware controls, including mic pre gain, are accessible from your DAW, there’s no need to switch between windows.

Free with Apogee Hardware DSP Enabled Audio Interfaces

Apogee FX Rack’s Print and DualPath Monitoring modes are available exclusively in Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt and Element Series interfaces. When you purchase an Ensemble Thunderbolt, Element 24, 46 or 88 before December 30th, 2018 you will receive Apogee FX Rack with EQP-1A, Opto-3A, ModEQ 6 and ModComp ($449 value) plugins for free.

Availability

Initial limited release October 17, 2018. Full release November 2018

Pricing and Bundles

Standalone – Apogee FX Rack bundle with EQP-1A, Opto-3A, ModEQ 6 and ModComp plugins: $449

Free through December 30th, 2018 when you purchase a new Ensemble Thunderbolt or Element series interface from an authorized Apogee dealer

Free through December 30th, 2018 to registered Ensemble Thunderbolt or Element series interface customers
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available-unnamed-1-.png   Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available-unnamed.png   Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available-unnamed-1-.png   Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available-unnamed.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Add a Reverb for vocal tracking (glaring omission) and Window drivers for the Element and we can talk buisiness.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
A careful read of the announcement reveals that they are only releasing the Native plugins today. The plugins look and sound great but Dual Path is really the thing i am most interested in... hopefully it will be added soon.
^^^^^^^
When Dual Path is fully implemented the Reverb send on the Record channel will work just fine. The RTL of the dry+FX signal will be super low and whatever buffer is selected will be a PreDelay on the Reverb (or other sends) in the DAW.

Last edited by ProPower; 4 weeks ago at 02:27 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I installed this last night. No problems with installation. This initial release includes only the native component of the FX Rack system.

My first impressions: Apogee is going about this the right way. The product feels "young" but you can sense the quality. You know that they're just getting started here. The EQP-1A and the Mod Comp sounded great. I haven't tried the other two. It's gonna be awesome tracking with these.

Good job Apogee.

-------
PT 2018.10, Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt, OSX, Mac Mini, HH 500W, Tannoy SGM 10b
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Where did you find the download...?
Old 3 weeks ago
icw
Here for the gear

It was linked in the email from apogee, assuming you’ve registered the product w apogee.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

link was sent to apogee and element registered users via email... didn't check apogee's website
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm impressed, very good sounding plugins, and i have almost every single UAD plugin.
The Pultec behavior is different than the UAD one, it seems like it distorted easily and you have to reduce the input level and turn up the output level when you boost low frequencies in some situations.. maybe the UAD Pultec has a hidden makeup gain or something..
Great job Apogee!

Last edited by Insider25; 2 weeks ago at 09:49 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

There's a bug with the pultec plugin. If you load it up and run a sweep through it there's a boost at around 4k (see blue plot in image).
If you move some knobs around and put them back to the default zero positions it goes away (see red plot)

(sorry not sure why the image got reversed out of fuzz measure but it's a boost not a cut, see db values on the left).
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available-apogee_pultec_flat.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
Where did you find the download...?
Apogee FX Rack Plugins and DSP DualPath™ Workflow - Apogee Electronics
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider25 View Post
I'm impressed, very good sounding plugins, and i have almost every single UAD plugin.
The Pultec behavior is different than the UAD one, it seems like it distorted easily and you have to reduce the input level and turn up the output level when you boost low frequencies in some situations.. maybe the UAD Pultec has a hidden makeup gain or something..
Great job Apogee!
I was impressed as well -- former UA user and current Acqua user. Used a default preset chain to shape up a DI guitar and it sounded fantastic... only tweaked some of the modern eq settings.

Shows you how much I read though -- I didn't realize these were native-only plugs and the DSP plugins were still forthcoming. I guess we'll have a firmware update to perform? And will we have to use Apogee Control to instantiate the DSP version or can we insert directly into Logic?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I don't know for sure how the implementation will be done either... im curious
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I believe that the promo for the dual path says that you only need instantiate this in the DAW (link it to an input - whatever that turns out to be) and it will automatically configure it on the interface. But count me in for wondering how exactly this will work.

I am also curious if this will work in any other DAWs besides Logic (and it looks like PT too) - of key interest here is Studio One V4.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The Pultec plugin sounds fantastic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
The Pultec plugin sounds fantastic.
I agree with this.
It sounds really good the EQ curves are bang on with the UAD and original hardware, except the phase response is much closer to the original hardware than the UAD.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I never owned an original Pultec, how close do you think this is? Still worth spending 7k on the hardware?
Anyway I am buying the plugin but I deleted the email, did they mention an introductory discount or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
I agree with this.
It sounds really good the EQ curves are bang on with the UAD and original hardware, except the phase response is much closer to the original hardware than the UAD.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
There's a bug with the pultec plugin. If you load it up and run a sweep through it there's a boost at around 4k (see blue plot in image).
If you move some knobs around and put them back to the default zero positions it goes away (see red plot)

(sorry not sure why the image got reversed out of fuzz measure but it's a boost not a cut, see db values on the left).
Hey Hiccup,

What you found might not be a bug, but in fact in our extensive testing of Hardware Pultecs, we found these sort of Circuit Non-Linearites that are unique to the Pultec sound. These sort of odd but true characteristics are actually intentionally put into the Apogee EQP-1A Plugin. You sir, deserve a pass to the Pultec club :-)

Cheers!

Chris Shapiro
Apogee Electronics - Domestic Sales
[email protected]
apogeedigital.com
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeDigital View Post
Hey Hiccup,

What you found might not be a bug, but in fact in our extensive testing of Hardware Pultecs, we found these sort of Circuit Non-Linearites that are unique to the Pultec sound. These sort of odd but true characteristics are actually intentionally put into the Apogee EQP-1A Plugin. You sir, deserve a pass to the Pultec club :-)

Cheers!

Chris Shapiro
[email protected]
apogeedigital.com
Might not be a bug? Or definitely isn’t a bug?
I am familiar with the non-linear characteristics of the original hardware but I’m slightly skeptical about this one because it only happens when you first instantiate the plugin, so unless you’re trying to model something that happens to the EQ curve when you first turn on the hardware, I’m not sure why this would go away once you start changing the knobs and then close and re-Open the plugin.

It would be great if you could check and confirm one way or the other please.

Ignoring this minor detail though I am slightly surprised it hasn’t received greater press because it’s the best pultec plugin available right now.

Whilst I have your ear, have you thought about an EQP1S3 plugin? That pultec variant, that I’m sure Pulse Technologies could also assist you with is a go-to on the Mix Bus, and no-one else has produced a plugin version of it yet so it’d bound to be popular.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Tried the rack in Logic 10.4.2 and the Mod EQ & Comp sound great to me - compared the mod EQ with several other similar eqs including Pro Q2 and Metric Halo Channelstrip and preferred the sound of the Mod EQ, very impressive. I also use a lot of Acqua plugins so am no stranger to good sonics! I’ve had quite a few issues with crashes which is a shame (Logic just quit instantly). Unless I’m missing something, I feel like the eq particularly could benefit from some workflow improvements like modifier keys and mouse wheel for q width adjustments. Looking forward to trying the La3a and pultec emulations owning UAD and Nebula versions.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Chris Shapiro where can we post future request to the Apogee Control, iIfound that using the keyboard to control volume of the headphones and loud speakers is pretty handy and I would like to request if we could link both at the same time to the relative volume that is set and control them simultaneously.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Might not be a bug? Or definitely isn’t a bug?
I am familiar with the non-linear characteristics of the original hardware but I’m slightly skeptical about this one because it only happens when you first instantiate the plugin, so unless you’re trying to model something that happens to the EQ curve when you first turn on the hardware, I’m not sure why this would go away once you start changing the knobs and then close and re-Open the plugin.

It would be great if you could check and confirm one way or the other please.

Ignoring this minor detail though I am slightly surprised it hasn’t received greater press because it’s the best pultec plugin available right now.

Whilst I have your ear, have you thought about an EQP1S3 plugin? That pultec variant, that I’m sure Pulse Technologies could also assist you with is a go-to on the Mix Bus, and no-one else has produced a plugin version of it yet so it’d bound to be popular.
Hey Hiccup,

I'll look into this for you. But I believe if you look into the way the Plugin reacts when your low frequency is set to 20 and when that changes. Thanks for the kind words! We think the plugin sounds pretty good ourselves. There is certainly a lot of great plugins we hope to do, and the EQP1S3 is a great idea. We'll see what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Wende View Post
Chris Shapiro where can we post future request to the Apogee Control, iIfound that using the keyboard to control volume of the headphones and loud speakers is pretty handy and I would like to request if we could link both at the same time to the relative volume that is set and control them simultaneously.
I can take note of this request. Thanks for the feedback! if you have FX Rack Feedback, please leave it at the link below.

Apogee FX Rack Customer Feedback

Thanks!

Chris Shapiro
[email protected]
apogeedigital.com
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeDigital View Post
Hey Hiccup,

I'll look into this for you. But I believe if you look into the way the Plugin reacts when your low frequency is set to 20 and when that changes. Thanks for the kind words! We think the plugin sounds pretty good ourselves. There is certainly a lot of great plugins we hope to do, and the EQP1S3 is a great idea. We'll see what happens!

I can take note of this request. Thanks for the feedback! if you have FX Rack Feedback, please leave it at the link below.

Apogee FX Rack Customer Feedback

Thanks!

Chris Shapiro
[email protected]
apogeedigital.com
Thanks so much for replying! Very much appreciate you taking on board the suggestion about an EQP1S3 plugin. I’ll also check out what you mentioned about the 20hz behaviour and see if I can explain away what I’ve been seeing.

Just wanted to add a little quick feedback RE the opto 3A plugin. Can you comment on the level calibration of this plugin? I’m used to setting both knobs at around 12 o clock and getting around 3-5db of gain reduction on guitars at the level I typically mix at. For me this is pretty consistent so I can swap in the UAD or Waves or original hardware insert and the gain reduction levels are in the same ballpark. With your plugin with the knobs in the same position i get around 10db+ of gain reduction which suggests a different level calibration to what I was expecting.
Any thoughts?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

[ Quoting myself - Copy from announcement thread thank you! -3 weeks ago- ]

Great first set of plugins!

first things that comes to mind...
:

- double click reset parameters / knobs to default position.
- Shift key to fine tune..
- mouse scroll support to toggle Q factor.
- alternative UI sizes ( 125, 150 200% )

Can't wait

Thanks Apogee!

Bonus:

I could see myself using the Rack for tracking and individual Plugins when mixing..

Sending that feedback to the proper link right now
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Nut

quick question.. when is the dual path functionality is going to be available?

Cant wait to put the rack to its paces!!

also...is the FX rack going to be editable via iPad?

can't wait to slam some drums into the vintage comp/pultec combo!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search