The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audiothing releases Reels - LoFi Reel-to-Reel + Echo + Tape Stop FX Saturation Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Audiothing releases Reels - LoFi Reel-to-Reel + Echo + Tape Stop FX

Reels is a tape emulation plugin with built-in echo section and tape-stop effect.

Based on an old Japanese portable tape recorder with a very distinct Lo-Fi analog sound, Reels emulates all the imperfections of consumer reel-to-reel recorders.

We have modeled three different 1/4” tape frequency responses and saturations, along with all the analog imperfections of tape recording/playback.

Reels will add a very rough retro analog sound to your mixes. If you are looking for a Hi-Fi mastering tape emulation, this is not the plugin for you!

Details
  • Intro Price: $39.95 / €39.95 (full $59 / €59)
  • Vintage Tape Emulation
  • Tape Stop Effect
  • Echo Section
  • 3 Tape types
  • Hiss and Motor noise with Envelope
  • 50 Presets
  • Preset randomizer
  • Formats: VST, VST3, AU, and AAX (64bit only!)
  • Minimum Requirements: OS X 10.7, Windows 7

SoundCloud Demo: Reels by AudioThing | Audio Thing | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Video Overview: YouTube

Product Page: Reels - Reel-to-Reel + Echo + Tape Stop Emulation Plugin (VST, AU, AAX)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Sounds very promising.
Let's see if it replaces Reelbus.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by broco View Post
Sounds very promising.
Let's see if it replaces Reelbus.
Thanks! Let me know what do you think
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Awwww man. I don’t NEED another tape sim but you guys do everything so well I’m going to try it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

As far as 'lo-fi' applications go...NAILED IT!

I collect 'found tapes' and such, and also have my own collection of personal, homemade recordings going back 50 years from a variety (and great number) of consumer reel-to-reels my father had around the house. Within minutes of demo'ing 'Reels' I was totally 'in that vibe'. The combination of parameters and built-in instabilities combine perfectly to create a VERY convincing simulation of old tapes/machines ;-)

As far as more traditional tape-sim/'hi-fi' applications, may well be it's just as good for that also...I just can't get past playing everything in my iTunes library through the 'retro' presets long enough to find out lol!

Anyway, extremely well done...and thank you for the 'envelope', makes for easy 'hijacking without having to trim noise caused by false threshold record-start settings). Now I just have to resist the temptation of making everything sound like Zoviet France vs. William Basinski
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Just when I thought I was done with Lo-Fi...

Why did I watch this video, now I can't wait to try it

Just a little disappointment, how come there is a tape stop effect and no tape start ?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post

Just a little disappointment, how come there is a tape stop effect and no tape start ?
Absolutely, a tape start with speed dial wouldve made this product a perfect lofi product.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

This looks fantastic, the Envelope option in the Noise section is a brilliant idea, separates this from the pack of plugins offering noise. So often you end up with noise where you don’t really want it, but this Envelope idea is great.

UPDATE: Got it.
It doesn't disappoint.
Another Audio Thing winner.

Last edited by Beatworld; 6 days ago at 05:31 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

It's absurd.
I absolutely don't need this kind of thing, but it sounds so good...
rr
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
This looks fantastic, the Envelope option in the Noise section is a brilliant idea, separates this from the pack of plugins offering noise. So often you end up with noise where you don’t really want it, but this Envelope idea is great.
Yeah an envelope follower for the noise is essential IMO as otherwise it's too much.

There's a couple of plugins I use that do it. XLN RC-20 Retro Colour. It's got an envelope follower and a ducker. Also, BeatSkillz ThatThing's noise module does it, and has the option to load your own noise samples which is pretty unique.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
There's a couple of plugins I use that do it. XLN RC-20 Retro Colour. It's got an envelope follower and a ducker.
Of course, I've got RC-20, had forgotten about those controls.
Thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

If AudioThing wants to develop this low-fi direction a bit further, the video below could be a helpful pointer.

Ideas might include putting the tape degradation inside the feedback loop, longer delay times, multitrack facility (recording and playback within the plugin).

Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

You get tape start by clicking on REC
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verus Rc 20 , what s the verdict ? This my go to for that kind of stuff ...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C View Post
As far as 'lo-fi' applications go...NAILED IT!

I collect 'found tapes' and such, and also have my own collection of personal, homemade recordings going back 50 years from a variety (and great number) of consumer reel-to-reels my father had around the house. Within minutes of demo'ing 'Reels' I was totally 'in that vibe'. The combination of parameters and built-in instabilities combine perfectly to create a VERY convincing simulation of old tapes/machines ;-)

As far as more traditional tape-sim/'hi-fi' applications, may well be it's just as good for that also...I just can't get past playing everything in my iTunes library through the 'retro' presets long enough to find out lol!

Anyway, extremely well done...and thank you for the 'envelope', makes for easy 'hijacking without having to trim noise caused by false threshold record-start settings). Now I just have to resist the temptation of making everything sound like Zoviet France vs. William Basinski
Thank you! I'm glad that you like it I have a small collection of tapes as well (mostly cassettes from my childhood) and I still love that lofi vibe!

The envelope was also added on our Outer Space, I think it was suggested by some of our customers, can't really remember. It's very important to have as the noise running all the time is definitely not ideal
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Awwww man. I don’t NEED another tape sim but you guys do everything so well I’m going to try it.
Thank you! Let me know what you think

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
Absolutely, a tape start with speed dial wouldve made this product a perfect lofi product.
Regarding the tape start, I may add it in the future, but I'm not sure yet. It will probably require some kind of latency to work, and that's not something I really want to have. I'll see what I can do but I can't guarantee it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post

UPDATE: Got it.
It doesn't disappoint.
Another Audio Thing winner.
Cool, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
It's absurd.
I absolutely don't need this kind of thing, but it sounds so good...
rr
I know, after "the year of tape emulations" I wasn't sure if I wanted to start this project or not. I'm glad I did it as there aren't many options for lofi tape emulations
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerob View Post
If AudioThing wants to develop this low-fi direction a bit further, the video below could be a helpful pointer.

Ideas might include putting the tape degradation inside the feedback loop, longer delay times, multitrack facility (recording and playback within the plugin).

Sound on Sound is a very cool technique! It would require some kind of tape loop "length" to be specified. Very interesting, I'll do some experiments
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing View Post
Sound on Sound is a very cool technique! It would require some kind of tape loop "length" to be specified. Very interesting, I'll do some experiments
Happy looping
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

when does the intro price end?
thanks
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
when does the intro price end?
thanks
The intro price ends October 31st.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

What I like the most is that the same magic of the Type A is here, for being instantly musical without feeling too much processed, it feels natural.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalmsc View Post
What I like the most is that the same magic of the Type A is here, for being instantly musical without feeling too much processed, it feels natural.
Thank you! Actually using Type A after Reels can be a very good combo
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Finally got around to trying this. Love it! Broco posited earlier in the thread if it could replace Reelbus... I guess that depends on what you're using Reelbus for, but this is a completely different sort of thing, I think. I've recently fallen in love with what Reelbus can do for electric guitars at a very low IPS and cranking up the hysteresis. I also love what Reels can do on an electric guitar, but it's very different... it really "flattens" the sound, instantly giving you something that sounds like it's straight off The White Album or Electric Warrior. It's not for every channel, every track, but it's a really cool tool for the arsenal.
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Nut

Zachaction, I could not have expressed it better!!!
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Maniac

It's like what crystalmsc said about it feeling natural. Even AS I'M PLAYING the guitar and listening to the sound coming through the monitors in real-time, I'm thinking "This sounds like it's been recorded." And while I said it's not an every channel sort of plug, I suppose one could use the mix knob judiciously to turn it into a real utility plug.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search