The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Announces UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Announces UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor

Universal Audio Announces UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor-liverack.jpg

Universal Audio Announces UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor

UAD-2 Live Rack delivers 16 channels of Realtime UAD Processing, Antares Auto-Tune Realtime, and more for MADI-enabled digital consoles

Universal Audio, a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is pleased to announce UAD-2 Live Rack for live sound engineers.

UAD-2 Live Rack is a 16-channel MADI effects processor, allowing users to apply Realtime UAD Processing with MADI-enabled digital consoles. UAD-2 Live Rack provides a hardware and software system for integrating the entire library of UAD Powered Plug-Ins into a live sound environment — all at near-zero latency.

Users can combine up to four Live Rack units to process up to 64 MADI channels. Each UAD-2 Live Rack hardware unit features four UAD-2 DSP SHARC processors for running UAD plug-ins at sub-2 milliseconds latency.

With the included Live Rack application, front-of-house engineers can take advantage of intuitive features such as drag and drop, copy and paste, keyboard navigation, plug-in zoom, and the ability to store and recall channel strip presets and/or complete setup configuration snapshots.

Live sound engineers can choose between Core and Ultimate plug-in bundles for their UAD-2 Live Rack, both of which include the UAD Antares Auto-Tune Realtime plug-in, enabling low latency pitch correction during live performance.

UAD-2 Live Rack Core includes a generous suite of UAD plug-ins right out of the box, including the Teletronix LA-2A and 1176LN compressors, Pultec EQs, among others. UAD-2 Live Rack Ultimate includes over 90 UAD plug-ins, with exclusive titles from SSL,® Studer,® Neve,® Manley,® Lexicon,® API,® Fender,® Moog,® and many more.

UAD-2 Live Rack is scheduled to ship in June 2018 with an estimated street price of $2,999 USD for the UAD-2 Live Rack Core bundle, and $5,999 for the UAD-2 Live Rack Ultimate bundle.

UAD-2 Live Rack — Key Features:
  • 16-channel MADI effects processor with Realtime UAD Processing
  • UAD-2 QUAD DSP processor allows access to full library of UAD Powered Plug-Ins at near-zero latency
  • Combine up to four UAD-2 Live Rack units to process 64 MADI channels
  • Includes purpose-built UAD-2 Live Rack application for fast operation of Realtime UAD Processing and session snapshot management
  • Includes studio compressors, EQs, channel strips, pitch correction emulations, and more as part of either the Core or Ultimate plug-in bundles
  • Dual-redundant internal power supplies ensure audio processing will continue if one power supply fails

Learn more about UAD-2 Live Rack:
http://www.uaudio.com/uad-accelerato...live-rack.html
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Announces UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor-liverack.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Does it come with a Core Audio driver so I can get 32 I/O thunderbolt to madi? (mac)(studio use)
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Does it come with a Core Audio driver so I can get 32 I/O thunderbolt to madi? (mac)(studio use)
No, it's specifically designed to work along side live digital consoles that use MADI.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I own an Apollo SF Quad and a BF Duo. I was also interested in using Live Rack in my studio so I read the manual.

I read nothing about audio over Thunderbolt. The Live Rack is not an audio interface. It is simply a DSP host for UAD plugins that connects via MADI to either a MADI equipped mixer or a MADI equipped audio interface. Think of Live Rack as an Apollo TB satellite quad with MADI connecting to out board audio in and out. A/D, D/A is going to be on an out board device.

Each Live Rack hardware unit has the ability to handle 16 channels of MADI streams in/out. So for 32 channels you'd need 2 Live Racks.

The TB connection is used to connect to the Mac running the Live Rack application. The app is where you load plugins. Live Rack's app is somewhat like the UA Console app (used with Apollo hardware). The Live Rack app has been written to better match the requirements of a live sound reinforcement application.

It might help if I gave a simple example.

Let's say you had a MOTU M64 and an 828ES interface. The Live Rack would connect via MADI to the M64. The M64 and the 828ES would connect to a Mac (via TB and/or USB) to run MOTU's AVB software. The Live Rack would also connect to the Mac via TB to run the Live Rack app.

So say you plug a Townsend Sphere L22 mic into the 828ES. You could load the Ocean Way mic collection into a slot on the Live Rack. In the next slot on Live Track you might put an API Vision channel strip. And maybe you add Autotune in the next slot because the vocalist tends to drift a bit.

But how does the mic connected to the 828ES get to use the UAD plugins hosted on Live Rack?

That's the job of the MOTU AVB routing grid. You will see the M64 as 16 channels of MADI in/out in the grid. The 828ES will also show up as analog and digital audio in/out. You simply send the audio from the 828ES track into the M64. It passes through the plugins loaded on the Live Track and then you can route it to any output you want. Say you want to record the audio in your DAW. You will see the 828ES in your DAW just like any other interface.

So now you have UAD plugin tracking at ultra low latency without an Apollo.

As of now, the only way I can see of integrating my Apollos with a Live Rack would be through an M64 and a second MOTU AVB interface with enough ADAT ports to connect my two Apollos. Live Rack makes some sense to me for its intended use. But it is more expensive and does less than an Apollo 8 Quad in the studio.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch17 View Post

So say you plug a Townsend Sphere L22 mic into the 828ES. You could load the Ocean Way mic collection into a slot on the Live Rack. In the next slot on Live Track you might put an API Vision channel strip. And maybe you add Autotune in the next slot because the vocalist tends to drift a bit.
Well at that point with a quad you are nearly out of DSP..

sorry couldn’t resist.
Some examples of implementation would help indeed
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Old 1 week ago
KMC
Gear Head

given it looks exactly like the realtime rack, will those of us who have invested heavily in realtime rack (we have 4 fully loaded units!) be able to crossgrade to the new software that'll finally receive updates?
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC View Post
given it looks exactly like the realtime rack, will those of us who have invested heavily in realtime rack (we have 4 fully loaded units!) be able to crossgrade to the new software that'll finally receive updates?
The new software will work with Realtime Rack units and they can be mixed and matched. Note that the bundled plugs are different and Autotune will not come for free like with the new units.
Old 1 week ago
Gear interested

Are you going to make a noise reduction plugin (cedar dns 1500) so we can use it in broadcast?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Its too bad this is limited to MADI. There should have been some DB25 i/o so you could set this up as inserts as well. That way, any studio or live console could implement a UAD system as well.
Old 6 days ago
Shame there is no automation. That rules it out for post production work.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Very cool.
I agree about the noise reduction remark.
Waves has options in their soundgrid server that are certainly not at the level of Cedar, but quite usable for live broadcast nonetheless.

Anyway, I think this will be a hit in live and broadcast.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search