The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Releases Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Plug-In Collection Channel Strip Plugins
Old 1 week ago
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Releases Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Plug-In Collection

Universal Audio Releases Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Plug-In Collection Exclusively for UA Audio Interfaces and UAD-2 Hardware

Whether it was housed at Olympic in London, Musicland in Munich, or in the famed Rolling Stones mobile studio, the Helios Type 69 console was at the center of hundreds of iconic albums from rock’s “Golden Age.” From must-own albums by Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Pink Floyd, to Bob Marley and the Wailers, David Bowie, Black Sabbath and AC/DC, the Type 69 delivered fat, unmistakable attitude, with a punchy midrange and an assertive growl.

Universal Audio is now proud to announce the all-new Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Collection for UAD-2 hardware and UA Audio Interfaces — including an exacting end-to-end circuit emulation that improves upon UA’s original standard-defining Helios Type 69 “EQ-only” Legacy plug-in.

In developing the new Helios Type 69 plug-in, UA’s team of engineers dug deep into two original Type 69 Olympic-era “golden units,” faithfully modeling their custom-made, feedback-style, 70 dB input section — along with a complete emulation of the coveted Lustraphone mic input transformer. This end-to-end circuit capture is the only "triple-amp" preamp on the UAD plug-in platform, and offers the same complex flavors as the original hardware.

The new Helios Type 69 also offers a ground-up redesign of the original hardware’s famously bold passive three-band EQ. For the first time, the Helios Type 69 plug-in perfectly emulates the rich-sounding inductor saturation behaviors that keep radical EQ moves sounding ultra-musical, even at extreme settings.

Finally, owners of UA Audio Interfaces can track in real time with Helios’ vintage analog channel, like having the original hardware. The Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ plug-in also supports Universal Audio’s Unison™ technology, giving UA Audio Interface users the Type 69’s all-important impedance, gain staging, and circuit behaviors that have contributed to making it an iconic hit-making console.

Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Plug-In Key Features:
  • An authentic end-to-end circuit emulation of Helios’ iconic Type 69 analog channel, exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces
  • Includes the full character of the original hardware’s Lustraphone transformer-based mic preamp,
  • Exacting emulation of the iconic, colorful inductor-based three-band EQ
  • Unison technology for UA audio interfaces offers authentic tone, touch, and feel of the Helios Type 69 preamp, including precise impedance matching
  • DSP-lite Type 69 Legacy EQ plug-in included
  • Artist presets from J.J. Blair (Johnny Cash, George Benson), Chris Coady (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV on the Radio), Jacquire King (Kings of Leon, Tom Waits), and more
Learn more about the Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ plug-in here:
Helios(R) Type 69 Preamp and EQ Collection | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio

Learn more about the UAD Software v9.5 here: UAD Downloads | UAD v95 Software

Learn more about class-leading UA Audio Interfaces:
UA Audio Interfaces | Thunderbolt & USB Audio Interfaces | Universal Audio

Learn more about award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins:
UAD DSP Accelerators | Universal Audio

Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Plug-In Collection-helios.jpg   Universal Audio Releases Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Plug-In Collection-helios_type_69_preamp_and_eq_carousel.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

now all we need is UA to do the AMS delay and the marshall time modulator and they can sell a Hannett bundle
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

(Would very much love it if they did a Marshall Time Modulator!)

- c
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

$150 (after coupon) for an upgrade? Paying that kind of money for a single plugin is so 2010. Thankfully the now "legacy" Helios 69 EQ is so good that I'll just keep using it. UAD continues to do a fine job of making sure none of my plugin money goes to them, even though I like their products.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think UA has the best product videos / musical demos in the industry
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Hoping it's the year of the Helios!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
$150 (after coupon) for an upgrade? Paying that kind of money for a single plugin is so 2010. Thankfully the now "legacy" Helios 69 EQ is so good that I'll just keep using it. UAD continues to do a fine job of making sure none of my plugin money goes to them, even though I like their products.
I'm in the same boat as you! 150$ for the upgrade seems really steep and I don't know if I read it right but I think we only have till the 28th(so 2 weeks to purchase as of today's email) and after that we don't even get the 50$ off and will have to pay 199$ just like everyone else. As an owner of 2 octo cards and almost all of their plugins, I must say it's getting harder and harder to support this platform!!
Old 1 week ago
OMU
Lives for gear

One instance per chip, same as the 1073. They went for the most accurate modelling they can afford in terms of processing power, obviously, but even with two octos I find myself not using the most demanding plugins, I don't remember the last time I actually used the 1073...

I like the mids and the saturation I'm hearing in the video, though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The original Helios plugin isn't one I've ever cared for because of the automatic bass boost without doing anything so I never ever use it. I liked the plugin besides the automatic bass boost. They said it was in the EQ they emulated which may be the case but I don't think I would have emulated that one then. I'm excited to hear this one
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
I'm in the same boat as you! 150$ for the upgrade seems really steep and I don't know if I read it right but I think we only have till the 28th(so 2 weeks to purchase as of today's email) and after that we don't even get the 50$ off and will have to pay 199$ just like everyone else. As an owner of 2 octo cards and almost all of their plugins, I must say it's getting harder and harder to support this platform!!
I'll be the first person to tout UA's amazing plugs (and I cannot live without a number of them), but I'm in the same boat as you guys - plug purchases from UA are mostly rare treats. While the quality is exceptional, so many other companies are doing great work for a fraction of the cost.

Also, given that I'm running on a Twin Duo MKI, a fair few of the recent releases are way out of my processing power league.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

This may be a horrible thing to say, but ...

I used to buy/test drive a lot of native plugs and compare them to my UAD plugs - in the end I found I didn't end up using
plugs by Slate, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance, AirEQ, etc. Since then I decided to stop wasting my time (and money) endlessly demoing and shooting out plugs, and I am content with the UAD plugs I have, and the occasional UAD pugs I purchase. It may well be that I am spending more money than needed, but I am definitely spending far less time comparing plugins and far more time making music.

Last edited by Screwup; 1 week ago at 07:15 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
One instance per chip, same as the 1073. They went for the most accurate modelling they can afford in terms of processing power, obviously, but even with two octos I find myself not using the most demanding plugins, I don't remember the last time I actually used the 1073...

I like the mids and the saturation I'm hearing in the video, though.
One STEREO instance per chip - two mono. So you can record both a mic and a HIZ at the same time with an UAD arrow.

But yeah,the mk II version of the helios uses ten times as much DSP as the mk I.. They’d better sound miles apart!

I have to say I am not fond of the ”upgrade within 14 days to save 50” type of passive aggressive deal. It almost comes off as ”we’re not sure we nailed this mk II so you need to buy it in the honeymoon phase lest you come to your senses and skip it altogether”.. I think I will wait until I can get this for way cheaper than 149 - perhaps in a black friday sale two years from now? I can wait thx

Interested in checking out the unison inputs though.. But right now the new friedman amp by bx that was also released in this update interests me more.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I am with you all folks; UA is starting to act like the Avid guys; charging too much for software in an era that it just doesn’t feel right. $50 for an upgrade, I can do, 150 for a limited time upgrade?? no thanks. I can get a premium plugin from other brands for that price and keep my DSP power for what I already have.
Old 1 week ago
Warren Huart discussing original Helios modules with JJ Blair; wonder if those include the modelled unit?

Old 1 week ago
I have no need for unison, so I see no need to upgrade, legacy sounds pretty close (90% close to my ears)

I noticed the immediate bass boost on the legacy is not present on the new.

A very nice plugin though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
UAD continues to do a fine job of making sure none of my plugin money goes to them, even though I like their products
I'm on the same boat and contemplated their interfaces many times, but the plugin prices vs. processing power of their "entry level" interfaces is just mind blowing bad joke/scam, insulting really.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
I have no need for unison, so I see no need to upgrade, legacy sounds pretty close (90% close to my ears)

I noticed the immediate bass boost on the legacy is not present on the new.

A very nice plugin though.
I peeked at the action over at UA forums, seems like the mk II Helios is modeled on an entirely different flavor of helios 69. Apparently the mk I helios was not of the ”Olympic” variety, therefore these will not sound much like each other.

Another thing, seems like the 14 day upgrade deal has two price points - 149 and 99, depending on whether you bought the mk I helios or if you got it for free.. Which is cool, but 199 is too much IMO
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well as much as I love my UAD plugins, $99.xx was tempting but then MB 32c v4 is on sale for $99.xx
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I really hope we are near some new DSP solution from UAD, because every new plugin is taking easily more than 50% of each shark on their stereo instance.

If UAD-3 doesn't come out, we will soon have a plugin that just can't be opened in Solo interfaces. Or they will cut the emulation to avoid this problem.

Until then, I feel very little enthusiasm in investing more on the UAD platform.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post

Another thing, seems like the 14 day upgrade deal has two price points - 149 and 99, depending on whether you bought the mk I helios or if you got it for free.. Which is cool, but 199 is too much IMO
I got my MK1 free, but my upgrade price is $199.
I'll probably wait for a sale that includes the Helios.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
They sent me a $100 coupon so my upgrade price is $99.

Still gonna pass sorry!

If I have a session where tracking through the Helios (via Unison) sounds like a good time, I'll run the demo.

I rarely use the mk2 eqs in a mix, too DSP hungry. But for tracking they are nice. Sometimes on busses.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I got my MK1 free, but my upgrade price is $199.
I'll probably wait for a sale that includes the Helios.
The UA rep at the forums told people to contact support if the upgrade coupon doesn’t show up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I really hope we are near some new DSP solution from UAD, because every new plugin is taking easily more than 50% of each shark on their stereo instance.

If UAD-3 doesn't come out, we will soon have a plugin that just can't be opened in Solo interfaces. Or they will cut the emulation to avoid this problem.

Until then, I feel very little enthusiasm in investing more on the UAD platform.
Yes. The DSP solution is fairly obvious - go native. This new Helios plug-in would be essentially unusable for me on my Octo, so I'm done unless they go native.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I like what i hear from Helios...

LOL

And i dont have a Octo.....

Yamaz to the Power-hungry-self-help-group
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Yes. The DSP solution is fairly obvious - go native. This new Helios plug-in would be essentially unusable for me on my Octo, so I'm done unless they go native.
Yeah, but unfortunately I don't think that will happen any time soon.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So is anyone gonna talk about how this bad boy sounds? or are just gonna spend all our time belly ach'ing over the price lol ... Lets get some user reviews / feedback!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
So is anyone gonna talk about how this bad boy sounds? or are just gonna spend all our time belly aching over the price
I have complained about the prices of things sometimes so I’m not innocent, but I wish GS had some feature to mute all posts about UA’s (successful) business model so you could just read discussions of the actual plugins.

- c
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Just tried it. Yeah, it sounds good, but I'll stick to Waves HLS. I also have UAD Helios 69 "Legacy" (got it for free), but I never use it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah they either have a new DSP platform coming coming, or they will start allowing native processing whilst still being able to use your DSPs for on the way in, or just some CPU offloading.
I think/hope it will be the latter. The first option is technically possible, but I just don't immediately see how it could be worth the hassle.
Looking forward to hear this one though.
Old 1 week ago
I've been waiting for this for a while, so I bought it without demoing it. They had me at Unison! I also wish we could mix with these MKII beasts natively, but for tracking it's a no brainer. I'd much rather buy these Unison emulations than spend big money on hardware clones (or the real thing). Even if I can only use one per chip, that's still far cheaper than buying hardware. I'll continue to use the Helios and Neve 1073 MKI EQs for mixing. Bring on the Trident MKII!!

I doubt they'll change their platform any time soon. They keep releasing new interfaces with UAD 2 chips. Personally, I like being limited in the number of these plugins I can use, just like I would be with hardware. It forces me to be more creative, and get it sounding right on the way in.

Last edited by Bill Hambone; 3 days ago at 05:58 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search