The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fuse Audio Labs releases the VCL-4 Vintage Opto Leveler Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Software Fuse Audio Labs releases the VCL-4 Vintage Opto Leveler

Fuse Audio Labs proudly presents the VCL-4 Vintage Opto Leveler plugin

Available for Mac OS and Windows in AAX, AU, VST2.4 and VST3 in 32 and 64 bits.

ON SALE FOR $39 UNTIL JANUARY 31ST! (REGULAR $59)

About the VCL-4

The VCL-4 is a faithful emulation of the silver face revision of the op amp based successor of THE classic late 60s opto leveler. It provides you with unintrusive to extreme program dependent and musical opto compression. The switchable ratio option makes for a flexible solution over a wide range of source material.

During the modeling process we rebuilt the entire original circuit on strip board, however replacing the original opto-cells that were made up of an LED and an photoresistor with suitable Vactrols. Every part of the circuit including the receiver stage, the side-chain and Vactrol LED driver circuit, the Vactrol itself as well as the push-pull driver stage and the output transformer has been accurately modeled.

Download your fully functional 14-day trial here

Trials and Plug-in Activation

You can test our plug-ins without any restrictions for 14 days. Simply click the "Activate Trial" button in the plug-in GUI after the installation to start your trial period. To activate your full license you can purchase a product activation key on our website. The activation key will be sent to you by email once the payment process has been completed, successfully. Click "Activate plug-in..." in the plug-in GUI or the drop down menu below, enter your email and product activation key and hit the "Activate" button to proceed.

FAQs and Technical Support

An overview of Frequently Asked Questions can be found on our website under the following link

Fuse Audio Labs | Audio Plugins | Mobile Audio Apps

Our tech support can be reached via the following link

Fuse Audio Labs | Audio Plugins | Mobile Audio Apps

Best,
Ray | Fuse Audio Labs

Last edited by fuseaudiolabs; 4 days ago at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here's a picture of the creature if you're curious

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A LA4. Don't remember seeing this in plugin format. Will give a try.

Looks like Black Rooster... might be because the main guy integrated BRA, according to his site.

Can you tell us why this is not a BRA release?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
A LA4. Don't remember seeing this in plugin format. Will give a try.

Looks like Black Rooster... might be because the main guy integrated BRA, according to his site.

Can you tell us why this is not a BRA release?
No worries, BRA will keep going strong.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Very nice compressor and very light on the CPU
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Man.. Reimund Dratwa is starting to be a true ceil of approval or quality guarantee. As always, if his name is involved with a plugin you can be almost 100% certain it'll be awesome. This plugin is no exception. It's awesome!

No idea how authentic it is as this is one of those compressors that I've somehow managed to avoid and never played with the hardware but the plugin does sound awesome and matches a few descriptions I've heard of "the sound" it should have. Extremely nice attack to it and it does indeed somehow slightly "crunch" or "tuck-in" the high frequencies.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Man.. Reimund Dratwa is starting to be a true ceil of approval or quality guarantee. As always, if his name is involved with a plugin you can be almost 100% certain it'll be awesome. This plugin is no exception. It's awesome!

No idea how authentic it is as this is one of those compressors that I've somehow managed to avoid and never played with the hardware but the plugin does sound awesome and matches a few descriptions I've heard of "the sound" it should have. Extremely nice attack to it and it does indeed somehow slightly "crunch" or "tuck-in" the high frequencies.
I've got not much time this days to real understand this plugin. But what sound it should have? What are the sources that you think it should shine?

This will help me a lot while testing, as I know practically nothing about the hardware.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Reimund is one of those guys you know that's gonna deliver good quality and new ideas to the table. I don't know if you remember one day we had a "wish day" where we all mentioned a plug-in we wanted to have emulated and I said the LA-4 because no one really seemed to care about that lost gem anymore. I've heard so many good things about that compressor and I was always curious to hear at least a emulation.Well, I think Reimund was taking notes that day I'm so glad he did it.

So far I'm loving it on everything (even drums! who would've thought!) but female vocals. It has a sort of hi-fi vibe which doesn't seem to work on a female I'm working on right now (maybe it's just this case, I'll have to try it on another female). What really blows my mind is it does the "hey ma' I'm doing 20dBs of GR" thing so effortlessly that it almost feels like cheating. It's much faster than my LA-2A (it's supposedly an evolution of the 2As and 3As so my first thought was to try it on things that both of those beasts work great) and hate to say it but immediately feels like working with hardware: patch, turn knobs, print
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I really like the attack it has. Seems to work awesomely on anything that needs a bit of a "twack!" to it. It's a bit like a hybrid crossover of a PYE and a dbx 160VU in it's attack.. yet a bit more polite somehow while still being a bit chunky.

Hard to describe but it's definitely interesting.

The only negative I'm finding is that it can indeed start to pump a bit. Works really great as a parallel thing though. You can just send tons of channels to it and it'll work as parallel glue very nicely, especially in 2 to 1 ratio.

Yeah, this is quickly becoming an instant buy for me. Too bad I've just decided to upgrade to Seventh Heaven Pro which eats my monthly plugin budget. I should never have installed that demo.. it was bound to tempt me to upgrade.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really like the attack it has. Seems to work awesomely on anything that needs a bit of a "twack!" to it. It's a bit like a hybrid crossover of a PYE and a dbx 160VU in it's attack.. yet a bit more polite somehow while still being a bit chunky.

Hard to describe but it's definitely interesting.

The only negative I'm finding is that it can indeed start to pump a bit. Works really great as a parallel thing though. You can just send tons of channels to it and it'll work as parallel glue very nicely, especially in 2 to 1 ratio.

Yeah, this is quickly becoming an instant buy for me. Too bad I've just decided to upgrade to Seventh Heaven Pro which eats my monthly plugin budget. I should never have installed that demo.. it was bound to tempt me to upgrade.
Is it really pumping for you? I can pin the needle all the way down and it doesn't pump at all. It's aggressive, no doubt, mostly because of the "special" attack it has but I wouldn't call that pumping.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well I was driving it with quite bass heavy loop stuff.. but yeah, it's release/hold shape seems like it's holding a split second too long, aka "pumping". But it's very minor and highly program dependent. I was running it on almost full program material which it's probably not suitable for. Had no issues on single channel material.
Old 1 week ago
OMU
Lives for gear

It is pumping sometimes, indeed. But overall I really like it. Tempting, for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I was driving it with quite bass heavy loop stuff.. but yeah, it's release/hold shape seems like it's holding a split second too long, aka "pumping". But it's very minor and highly program dependent. I was running it on almost full program material which it's probably not suitable for. Had no issues on single channel material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
It is pumping sometimes, indeed. But overall I really like it. Tempting, for sure.
hmmm didn't try it on a whole mix, etc., just specific tracks like vocals, guitars, basses, pianos and a couple of synths. Maybe it pumps when things get too complex, I'll have to try it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

This guy is very versatile. highly usable even at extreme settings.
I'm amazed how with this few controls it can cover so much ground.
Surprisingly good on the drum bus, that was unexpected for me. Gives that glue we always talk about I like how it tames transients, making levels more steady and even, very handy for the extreme genres I work with.
I wish it to be integrated in the Softube Console 1
I had no issues with pumping on any sources. Even opposite I was like wow, it has no pumping! haha

Oh and it is awesome as a tracking compressor at gentle settings

Congrats, great release and a good start for the company.

cheers!
Old 1 week ago
OMU
Lives for gear

After trying to get as close as possible with many other compressors I have (and there's a lot of them around here) I ended up buying it. Great job, can't wait to see other unique and good sounding plugins from Fuse Audio!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This new gem is a win.

Sounds nice on almost everything you throw it at.

Agreed about the "special attack".

Fuse is starting the year with a great plugin. Can't wait to see/hear what's next !
Old 1 week ago
M2E
Lives for gear

I'm sure, if it's anything to do with BRA, it's going to be good.
Sounds like they inserted the the OP Amp distortion if pushed which is always welcome.
Only thing for me is when moving the Threshold knob and output knob, it's not showing the numbers in real time.
I'm also using it through the BlueCats Patchwork so, that could be the cause.
Trying it in LPX now as I'm writing this...
WOW, I remember using 2 to 4 LA4A's in a studio in Chicago and was just talking about in on another thread and now this.

Well, looks like it works fine as a 64bit plugin.
Maybe it's a 32bit thing.
I'll try testing another way to see if it works.

Hey guys, I beta test for BRA and a few other plugin companies, if you need any more beta testers for your plugins, hit me up...

Thanks as always,

Marc
Old 1 week ago
M2E
Lives for gear

The AU 32bit version GUI works fine with Patchworks.
It's just when you are scrolling the Threshold knob and Output Level knob.

Just the VST 32bit version not working correctly...

Now, let me focus on the sound....

Thanks,

Marc
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
The AU 32bit version GUI works fine with Patchworks.
It's just when you are scrolling the Threshold knob and Output Level knob.

Just the VST 32bit version not working correctly...

Now, let me focus on the sound....

Thanks,

Marc
Thanks for the report, Marc. I'll contact you about the beta testing, asap.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Will try it..... soon
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Wow this sound great! Will buy for sure!
Old 1 week ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseaudiolabs View Post
Thanks for the report, Marc. I'll contact you about the beta testing, asap.
Sounds good. Also VST3 works fine as well.

Marc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Now this is a beautiful surprise to see an LA-4A replica. I have to say congrats to @fuseaudiolabs

I recall way back when I started working in recording studio, I started working on LA-3A and the LA-4A before the 2A.

And I recall that the 4a was always left alone, like the abandoned one and when I was giving the time to tweak stuff night time shift, I would pump the 4A and get rolling. I really enjoyed it sound especially when processing Hard rock vocals/Bass Di or El Gts to get more crunch and so forth. And always noticed that the 4A price hardware wasn't that expensive compare to the 2A & 3 but today forget it hahaha we're talking around 1400$ canadian & up depends on condition of the unit.

Thanks to my Mentor in recording & mixing that i had that chance to use that left on the side 4A. And I can say from what I recall as a sound, being an Opto Comp/Limiter, @fuseaudiolabs did a fine job here.
THe way these guys tweaked it, I'd say you guys kept the sonic signature while fine tune it to be very versatile then how it was way back with the hardware ( I find).

Kudos to @fuseaudiolabs Team , this is a must have in your mixing arsenal mixing plugins period.

What a beautiful way to begin 2018. Best to you ALL
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I really like this.

Tried on lead vocal. It adds a smoothening sheen, definitely hi-fi with a tad more clarity. 5 dbs of musical compression on the highest peaks I found was the sweet spot. I also like how transparent it is during mixdown as well. Could work on a lot of stuff. Excellent first release.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, this is highly appreciated, really!

I can also assure you there's lots of stuff in the pipeline for 2018 at Fuse, BRA and another exciting collaboration I can't reveal yet

Best,
Ray
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Do I understand right that this is no challenge/response ?
With the key I get during purchase I am done no matter If this company still exists in 5 years ?
Thats the reason I don't buy Black rooster stuff...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
With the key I get during purchase I am done no matter If this company still exists in 5 years ?
Black Rooster got rid of C/R long time ago.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
Correct, there's no C/R involved. Let me also state that BRA went from C/R to simple serials a couple of months ago.

Last edited by fuseaudiolabs; 1 week ago at 07:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I checked their homepage the last week and there it clearly describes a c/r procedure on the faq
Or why do I need a licence manager ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
ok thanks.
will test this
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search