The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overloud introduces Sculptube - Tube Processor Saturation Plugins
Old 5th December 2017
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Overloud introduces Sculptube - Tube Processor


Overloud introduces Sculptube - Tube Processor

The SCULPTUBE processor is dedicated to adding valve-produced harmonics to your sound. It creates authentic tube coloration that ranges from slightly warmed-up tones to heavy distortions.
Here are some of the amazing features SCULPTUBE has to offer:
  • Hyper-realistic simulation of tube warming/distortion, thanks to Overloud's 4th generation DSP technology
  • Triode and Pentode simulation
  • Tube biasing control
  • Built-in EQ and parallel processing to sculpt the tone
  • Low CPU usage: More than 1,500 instances on a Macbook Pro Retina
  • Multilevel Undo-Redo
  • A/B Comparison
  • Scribble Strips: Take notes anywhere on the plugin panel
  • Meter Calibration: Calibrate the VU meters at 4 different sensitivities

Overloud's SCULPTUBE is an incredibly versatile tool and will let you build a wide variety of analog tones. You can warm up tracks with analog coloration, create tube distortion, and excite your sound by adding natural tube harmonics. By adjusting the drive and bias of the tubes, SCULPTUBE recreates amazing analog tones so you can control the amount of distortion to fit your sound. And with three different tube configurations, SCULPTUBE allows you to get the warm, rich analog sound your tracks need.

Formats: AU, VST, AAX64, Standalone (Mac/Win)

Price: $89 for a limited time (reg. $139)

For more information and 14-day trial please visit: Sculptube | Overloud
Attached Thumbnails
Overloud introduces Sculptube - Tube Processor-screenshot1.jpg  
Old 5th December 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

Sculptube by OVERLOUD

New Overloud Gems series new processor:




Sculptube is a processor dedicated to adding valve-produced harmonics to sounds. It creates an authentic tube coloration which goes from slightly warmed-up tones to heavy distortions.
Hyper-realistic simulation of tube warming/distortion, thanks to the 4th generation DSP technology
Triode and Pentode simulation
Tube biasing control
Built-in EQ and parallel processing to sculpt the tone
Low CPU usage: more than 1500 instances on a Macbook Pro Retina
Multilevel undo-redo
A/B Comparison
Scribble Strips: take notes anywhere on the plugin panel
Meter Calibration: calibrate the VU meters at 4 different sensibilities


3 tube configurations at your fingertips
There are 3 settings for the type of distortion:
Program 0 (Triode) creates the typical musical effect found with triode valves, with very rich 2nd harmonic distortion, good for warming up a sound.
Program 1 (Pentode) creates a Pentode distortion, with prevailing odd harmonics, which makes the sound more aggressive while retaining that valve character.
Program 2 (Special) is obtained with a pretty unusual way of configuring the valve, which gives an extra octave at higher bias settings

Price: € 89.00 Incl. VAT (€ 139.00)

For more info: Sculptube | Overloud
Old 5th December 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 

interesting how this compares to UAD's emulation which I LOVE but is a resource hog. thankfully its one that Im quite happy to print, but a native alternative that's in at least the same league would be great!
Old 5th December 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
Interesting release. The UAD is indeed a resource hog. Hmm might it give it a spin in a week or two.
Old 5th December 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
kj.metissage's Avatar
Don't get me wrong, but when I read things like "more than 1500 instances" when we talk about a plugin modeling tubes, I'm worried.

I'll have to try it of course. Looking forward to reading your opinions guys, as I'm away from my DAW for 1 more week. Damn that's long !
Old 5th December 2017
  #6
Gear Addict
 
johnnynash's Avatar
Very interesting plug. Being the tubeslut that I am, I guess I'll have to get it!
Old 5th December 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Not included in the gem bundle ? Just bought the bundle ..

Looks like a PA blackbox contender
Old 5th December 2017
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 

So.... A native Culture Vulture .

Looking forward to trying this but I can’t spend ANY more money on plugins
Old 5th December 2017
  #9
Gear Addict
I've been playing with the Sculptube demo and comparing it to the UAD Culture Vulture plugin, since it's apparent they're based on the same kind of hardware.

To my ears they sound very different, the UAD being much more aggressive -- it can get really nasty, but maybe sometimes that's what you need.

There were cases where I preferred the Overloud's more subtle character. The handy HPF, in addition to the LPF, makes it easy to blend in just the high harmonics for a brightening effect.

Which one is closest sonically to the hardware will have to be decided by someone who has access to the real thing.

The other major difference is with resource usage. The UAD CV is a big DSP hog, but Sculptube barely makes a dent in my CPU. Amazing optimization work by the Overloud DSP gurus.

Overall, another nice addition to the excellent GEM series.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 5th December 2017
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Did you flick on Overdrive on the left (for more distortion)?


I havent used a real one, nor UAD, but I tried Olonga's nebula-samplings of the hardware, but cant remember exactly how they sounded. Anyone with experience know how well this is emulated?

Default settings sound amazing. A slight depth and width...very natural and beautiful...
Old 5th December 2017
  #11
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
Did you flick on Overdrive on the left (for more distortion)?
Yes, it does make a good noise with the Overdrive. But doing the same with the UAD makes it go even further than what Sculptube does, at least to my ears.

Which one you'd prefer is probably a matter of taste. Both are very cool plugins.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 5th December 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
i diditt think it was a culture vulture attemp , maybe i'm wrong but since i never tried the origiginal , anyway the beauty in this is really with the filters , to then exite a particular part of a sound , low pass + drive ..mix wet and voila a warmess to a 808 beat smooth and rounded ...

Still testing it ....this was my first minutes test .... gonna test also aliasing at 44.1

Last edited by Jeezo; 6th December 2017 at 01:23 AM..
Old 5th December 2017
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
i don't think it was a culture vulture attemp , maybe i'm wrong , anyway the beauty in this is really with the filters , to then exite a particular part of a sound , low pass + drive ..mix wet and voila a warmess to a 808 beat smooth and rounded ...

Still testing it ....this was my first minutes test .... gonna test also aliasing at 44.1
Did Overloud add it your Gem Bundle??
Old 5th December 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Did Overloud add it your Gem Bundle??
nope ..apparently it's not in the gem

GEMS BUNDLE | Overloud

i didn't asked i'm in demo mod
Old 6th December 2017
  #15
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
nope ..apparently it's not in the gem

GEMS BUNDLE | Overloud

i didn't asked i'm in demo mod
I'm guessing it will added shortly. It can't hurt to ask Overloud.
Old 6th December 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Me like the P2 disto

check meters be Under zero , = density ,clarity , derumbling
Attached Thumbnails
Overloud introduces Sculptube - Tube Processor-ccc.jpg  
Old 6th December 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
I'm guessing it will added shortly. It can't hurt to ask Overloud.
I don't think so , but we never know
Old 6th December 2017
  #18
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Did Overloud add it your Gem Bundle??
Yes, the Sculptube is included in the Gems Bundle.

I take the chance to remind that if you own at least one Gem, you can get new gems at an additional discount using a personal coupon that appears into user area.
Old 6th December 2017
  #19
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Don't get me wrong, but when I read things like "more than 1500 instances" when we talk about a plugin modeling tubes, I'm worried.

I'll have to try it of course. Looking forward to reading your opinions guys, as I'm away from my DAW for 1 more week. Damn that's long !
From what I remember, Overloud does not use classic hi level code like C++ with faster workflow but limited optimisation capabilities. They use assembler which means low level code where you have to write everything manually from the ground however application written in assembler runs much faster
Old 6th December 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated View Post
interesting how this compares to UAD's emulation which I LOVE but is a resource hog. thankfully its one that Im quite happy to print, but a native alternative that's in at least the same league would be great!
Slight correction: the UAD version isn't a resource hog per say.. it's just that the UAD dsp chips are so ridiculously underpowered.

For instance, some of the brainworx plugins that null with the UAD versions, allow only like 32 instances on a top of the line octo card, yet you can run literally hundreds of instances on any basic i7 Intel MacBook Pro or PC.
Old 6th December 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
From what I remember, Overloud does not use classic hi level code like C++ with faster workflow but limited optimisation capabilities. They use assembler which means low level code where you have to write everything manually from the ground however application written in assembler runs much faster
I thought this was pretty much a myth nowadays? Compilers in 2017 are supposedly pretty damn good at optimizing stuff.

This used to be the way you marketed stuff that was "hand assembler coded" but AFAIK the marketing hasn't been true since forever.

Also, just because you use C++ doesn't mean you can't code a few select parts extremely efficiently and at low level.

Then again I'm no programmer so it's very possible that I'm completely wrong about this.

Anyhow, I'll definitely give the plugin a go and see how I like it.
Old 6th December 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
I thought this was pretty much a myth nowadays? Compilers in 2017 are supposedly pretty damn good at optimizing stuff.

This used to be the way you marketed stuff that was "hand assembler coded" but AFAIK the marketing hasn't been true since forever.

Also, just because you use C++ doesn't mean you can't code a few select parts extremely efficiently and at low level.

Then again I'm no programmer so it's very possible that I'm completely wrong about this.

Anyhow, I'll definitely give the plugin a go and see how I like it.
There are things in your comment that I simply did not write but they are presented as mine.

I have breverb and even it is not the best reverb out there, it is still very solid and eats 0.3% of one core of my i7 Skylake CPU. The same TH3, great sound and GUI but far less CPU load than competition. When we agree that these plugins are top notch in terms of sound and GUI the difference must be in coding.
Old 6th December 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by overloud View Post
Yes, the Sculptube is included in the Gems Bundle.

I take the chance to remind that if you own at least one Gem, you can get new gems at an additional discount using a personal coupon that appears into user area.
Thks ...if we bought the gem s bundle like a week ago ... ? During sales

Do you think a m/s feature like on comp 76 could be implemented in the futur ?
Old 6th December 2017
  #24
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Thks ...if we bought the gem s bundle like a week ago ... ? During sales

Do you think a m/s feature like on comp 76 could be implemented in the futur ?
Are you thinking on a m/s feature on the Sculptube or a re you referring to other gems?
Old 6th December 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
On this one ...but others could be a killer especially the eq s ...
Old 6th December 2017
  #26
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
I have breverb and even it is not the best reverb out there, it is still very solid and eats 0.3% of one core of my i7 Skylake CPU. The same TH3, great sound and GUI but far less CPU load than competition. When we agree that these plugins are top notch in terms of sound and GUI the difference must be in coding.
FWIW, even when Breverb came out I didn't think it was among the best reverbs out there. Supremely nice ergonomically, which maybe explained the popularity of it, but soundwise, I didn't hear it at all. Nothing there requiring some invocation of masterful optimization, IMO.
Old 6th December 2017
  #27
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
FWIW, even when Breverb came out I didn't think it was among the best reverbs out there. Supremely nice ergonomically, which maybe explained the popularity of it, but soundwise, I didn't hear it at all. Nothing there requiring some invocation of masterful optimization, IMO.
But TH3 sounds great and eats 1/3 of its competition. We can discus all day what sounds better but to me overloud plugins eats far less CPU cycles than competition period
Old 6th December 2017
  #28
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
We can discus all day what sounds better but to me overloud plugins eats far less CPU cycles than competition period
Well I mean sure, but your point is premised on the idea that they sound better. I'm not sure they do. But that's a famously slippery discussion, acknowledged.
Old 6th December 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
Well I mean sure, but your point is premised on the idea that they sound better. I'm not sure they do. But that's a famously slippery discussion, acknowledged.
I did not say they sound better, I did not even try that. Discussion here is pointless as nobody read the posts. The goal is not to discus the facts but to convince others of his truth
Old 6th December 2017
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by overloud View Post
Yes, the Sculptube is included in the Gems Bundle.

I take the chance to remind that if you own at least one Gem, you can get new gems at an additional discount using a personal coupon that appears into user area.
Yes thks but that price is like what we can have on 3rd party shops

Have you guyz really emulated a culture vvvv or just got inspired by this one ?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump