The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overloud introduces Sculptube - Tube Processor Saturation Plugins
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
I did not say they sound better, I did not even try that. Discussion here is pointless as nobody read the posts. The goal is not to discus the facts but to convince others of his truth
OK. As good, then?

If not, then I guess I don't understand what your point was. They're CPU efficient. Ok.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
OK. As good, then?

If not, then I guess I don't understand what your point was. They're CPU efficient. Ok.
That's exactly the point, and I don't see what there is to argue about. Anyone can demo Sculptube (or another Overloud plug) against competitors and see what the relative CPU usage is. It's apparent to me that Overloud plugins generally use less CPU than equivalents, for whatever reason. I think that's a point in their favor.

YMMV -- if anyone finds the opposite, they're welcome to chime in.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

It sounds great and zero cpu

The switches are kinda uncool it's sequencial , you have to click and pass throught each psosition , a way to choose random instead of sequencial would be great or just by cliking the freq value label ....

thks for VU calibration !!!
Old 7th December 2017
I’m really liking there stuff. I just purchased the Sculptube !!!!! And love it. I also am demoing TapeDesk and there Comp76 I don’t know why there is more talk on those 2 products. I am purchasing both of them next week. For me they are working incredible. I found this stuff gave me good results and glued things very nice on the busses !!!! Thanks for listening!!!!
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

I was speaking with a collegue today at school about those , told him to try them , i labeled them "caracter plugins " in the same way as kush sly fi stuff , they reflect the sonic taste of their makers and if you re in phase with that (witch i am) you will be smiling big !!!
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by overloud View Post
Yes, the Sculptube is included in the Gems Bundle.

I take the chance to remind that if you own at least one Gem, you can get new gems at an additional discount using a personal coupon that appears into user area.
I didn't know that! Well, I've bought 4 already without knowing this (and love all of them), but good to know now for future reference! :-)
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

It would be cool to have an update option like waves did with the abbeyroad stuff ...
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Head

Just here to say that I really like their EQ84. Looking forward to demoing this one
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Guyz , can anybody tells me if the original or the uad rolls off the sub low like this also .... gem's stuff tend to do that (the neve does , tapedesk a little and this one obvioulsy)
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Guyz , can anybody tells me if the original or the uad rolls off the sub low like this also .... gem's stuff tend to do that (the neve does , tapedesk a little and this one obvioulsy)
AFAICT the UAD CV doesn't roll off the lows. Looks like Sculptube rolls off below about 90Hz, down about 4dB at 30Hz. I also see a rolloff above 10k. FWIW.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 7th December 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, it does, that is until it's pushed really hard, at which point it has a pretty strong low boost. Highs are also slightly rolled off and what happens there is pretty unpredictable the more you push it (strange shapes).
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Is this actually supposed to emulate a CV? Seems to be more general than that to me.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Yes, it does, that is until it's pushed really hard, at which point it has a pretty strong low boost. Highs are also slightly rolled off and what happens there is pretty unpredictable the more you push it (strange shapes).
Thks Omu , you're talking about the original right ? or the UAD ...
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie TX View Post
AFAICT the UAD CV doesn't roll off the lows. Looks like Sculptube rolls off below about 90Hz, down about 4dB at 30Hz. I also see a rolloff above 10k. FWIW.

Cheers,
Eddie
Thks Eddie , yep around 30 is my probleme , i like to have extra sub fundamentals around 35 when the tempo is low .... on the other hand it can help giving them a natural roll off versus regular filters ...
Old 8th December 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thks Omu , you're talking about the original right ? or the UAD ...
The UAD version, yes.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The UAD version, yes.
Thks so i think the HW should do that also , i had some friend that always praised this one for its hardcore production (HW version) , i understand why , it has cojones , but tighten kciks unless by the expense of rolling off extra lows .....

i'm obsessed with drums but thing must be good on synth to take off their didgitalness ...
Old 8th December 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

TBH I tend to use it on a parallel bus for adding some extra excitement to the mix, so it doesn't bother me at all if it's not linear and all that.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
TBH I tend to use it on a parallel bus for adding some extra excitement to the mix, so it doesn't bother me at all if it's not linear and all that.
Using the filters ? Or just driving it is sufficient in your case ?

Question for overloud , i see most of gem s default metering are -14dfs , does it mean this was your allignement during modelisation ?
Old 8th December 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

Yeah, just driving it mostly. I know this particular plugin doesn't have that many fans, but for me it started to work when I began using it this way.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Yep usually the more caracter , the less you can please everyone ...this not for plugin only
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

I was hevaily testing it today (stress test i Sonar versus over daws .... the results are like always stellar with sonar ....i hate you gibson) and i really think PLEASE OVERLOUD , add some freq to the low pass and high pass or make it continuous .... This and a M/S L/R features (and oversampling option ) would be killer ....

I tested at 96 k Under studio one and it's clean , as well as 44.1 in sonar with the X2 oversampling option engaged and still the cpu hit is cool (like 2 % in studio one) , nothing in sonar ....
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've had two different CV HW units. The first one I had (the old black standard version) really did roll off the subs. That's why I sold it. This was however not the case with my second unit (the red 11th AE Mastering version). I very much preferred the red one.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
I've had two different CV HW units. The first one I had (the old black standard version) really did roll off the subs. That's why I sold it. This was however not the case with my second unit (the red 11th AE Mastering version). I very much preferred the red one.
Thks a lot for those infos , Overloud should maybe propose a switch like in dopamine for the two units .

Do the red unit only has the filter difference or also the type of distortion was different ?

The Gem series argument from overloud was "beyond the original" so i'm kinda of surprised , specailly for now dayz music , they didn't anticipated this ...

@01010110 have you tested the plugin ? close to original ? just to know even if it will not impact what i think about (witch is higly posistiv globally)
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Since i'm offline i get to demo it for 10 minutes at a time..

Anyway in the 10 minutes allotted i tried it on some overheads. Engaged the high pass and set the mix at about 9 o'clock.

I think i need it just for that purpose alone (and probably more). It sounds pretty nice. A little smoother than ST Decap.
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
@01010110 have you tested the plugin ? close to original ? just to know even if it will not impact what i think about (witch is higly posistiv globally)
Sorry, not yet. Got too much other fun stuff to do here in the studio. Only browsing this forum while bouncing masters. But some beautiful day I certainly will take a close look/listen at it
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody knows when the sale is over ?

Edited : purchase done , just want to know for friends ....

This thing is exellent on synths to give them what they miss , definition , presence, contour , edge ...ect ..

Can be used everywhere exept if you want to keep extra lows lows ....

Really hope Overloud will implement M/S L/R and over filter option ...

It's a very strange unit for sure it's not at all consistent in directions , gping one way or another is not going to lead you one way or another at more or less levels but can change radicaly ....can't recall who said it about that in the thread as type , but he's right !!

Last edited by Jeezo; 16th December 2017 at 04:48 AM..
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Ok guyz , 1 bar loop , import it and check

Tempo is 90 , plugin on all drum (bypass on dry file and on on wet file) drive posistion 1to tast for each , plugin bypassed on both files for the 808 , vertigo on bus ....it's evn more rock n roll with one instance of Scultube on master but i bypassed it for you guyz to hear cummulative FX .... don't be too much analytical , just check witch one sounds analog and not

The difference is so impacting to my ear ,high freq gets modified , i find the beat more groovy and slower lol yep frequencies are cycles !!

and all this in studio one !! (yep moving slowly from sonar ) the occasion to master the mixdown selection option ...
Attached Files

Beat Dry.wav (1,000.7 KB, 1240 views)

Beat wet.wav (1,000.7 KB, 1234 views)

Old 16th December 2017
Gear Addict

Amazing plug-in and something that I've anticipated for some time. Initially I've been very in love with the Looptrotter Sa2Rate, but didn't get around buying one, because of the price.

Also made a thread here asking for equivalent plug-ins without really discovering any.

However, Sculptube is definitely in the ballpark of Sa2Rate and good hardware tube distortion boxes. It doesn't sound that much like software tbh.

Can add density and slight crunch without becoming harsh or thinning the sound. Also doesn't seem to compress the sound lifeless, but retains essential dynamics well. It can be used to reduce harshness in treble as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Nice sounding plugin!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok guyz , 1 bar loop , import it and check

Tempo is 90 , plugin on all drum (bypass on dry file and on on wet file) drive posistion 1to tast for each , plugin bypassed on both files for the 808 , vertigo on bus ....it's evn more rock n roll with one instance of Scultube on master but i bypassed it for you guyz to hear cummulative FX .... don't be too much analytical , just check witch one sounds analog and not

The difference is so impacting to my ear ,high freq gets modified , i find the beat more groovy and slower lol yep frequencies are cycles !!

and all this in studio one !! (yep moving slowly from sonar ) the occasion to master the mixdown selection option ...
dry sounds so much better!!! I tried most of their plug ins and none has really done it for me. to be fair the same goes for the likes of slate, kush, IK, izotope, waves, uad, sofubes, PA and allmost all of the other develpers - one that really sounded a bit better than the rest was uhe satin...at least for me (and I´ve grown up using real tape and real analog gear). I compared satin directly to tapedesk and the results were not close in regards to realism of tape sound in that example, satin was the clear winner...

I thought after all the positive words to find out something different with this company, but their stuff just sounds somehow cheap ...like most of the plug ins emulating analog hardware that I tried (and I tried a lot or at least used in other studios). there are very very few examples I came across that actually deliver something much more useful in a mix or master (and only under certain circumstances) than a volume knob or fader and and the simplest use of EQ and compression combined. if you have ever worked on a proper console you will know what I mean.

the same goes not only for algo plugs but also for most acoustica stuff. although in certain cases their stuff is better than algos like this one it also doesn´t stand up the hype and is nothing compared to the use of real analog gear. sometimes I wonder how people can be so easily fooled by fancy GUIs and cheap digital or sampled saturation or processing. I think in the end it´s probably just laziness and the lack of knowledge, experience, time, effort, proper monitoring or money.

sorry no offend, but I´m really tired of all these threads about analog emulating stuff being close to hardware sound...in the end nearly everything sounds just cheap and plastic to me and will more or less make an instrument or a mix sound worse and less original. maybe the soundsources and recordings I can call myself happy to work with are just better than the ones that most people that write here use - but I think the problem is more that many people nowadays don´t know anymore how to use a a simple EQ and compressor correctly because everybody is just applying the latest "magic" analog emulating plug in (or whatever they use on these oversaturated boring and mostly bad mixes that are comon nowadays) and be done with it.

again sorry, each to his own - I am maybe too oldskool, but I just trust my ears and stomach too much - no offend to the developers - their tools maybe don´t sound worse than the average rest, but to compare this thing (and 90% of the rest that does the same) to real anaog tubes or even tape is IMO a joke. you might easily be fooled by positive expectations and other things (like the money or time you can save using the digital equivalent compared to the real thing) when you just compare one plug in to the corresponding hardware - but if you use many of these analog emulating plug ins compared to doing the same in hardware you will realize a massive difference.

Last edited by mastermat; 4 weeks ago at 01:53 AM..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search