The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Antelope IMPRESSER Compressor (includes Distressor comparison) Audio Interfaces
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

New Antelope IMPRESSER Compressor (includes Distressor comparison)

Antelope Audio just posted the FPGA update for Impresser!

Impresser was modeled after one of the most flexible, powerful and edgy compressors known to the audio world. Its signature sound is due to a unique analog design and a very special feature set. Impresser combines the best from classic vintage compression while brining a wider range of control options to the party.

This vintage unit, is now recreated by the powerful Antelope Audio FPGA engine. Impresser can add gentle and warm compression to your tracks or aggressively pump up any source audio. The flexibility of Impresser is aided by the addition of its own harmonic distortion. This can be used for subtle, tube-quality distortion and even emulate the sound of a tape saturator. It works magic with or without the Impresser compressing the signal.

Our own contribution to the effect comes as adjustable frequency settings for the High and Band Pass Sidechain Filters, which were fixed bands on the original hardware unit. This offers you even deeper control when shaping the frequency range where you need the Impresser to do its job. Like all Antelope Audio FPGA compressor models you can use the Impresser either on mono or with two channels stereo linked.

The initial interfaces to receive this update are Zen Tour, Orion Studio and Orion Studio 2017 with Discrete 4 and 8 very soon, as well.

Last edited by Clybourne; 6th December 2017 at 09:59 AM..
Old 4th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Marcel...Will this be added to the Zen Studio+ in a future update?

Thanks!
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvehead View Post
Marcel...Will this be added to the Zen Studio+ in a future update?

Thanks!
Yes it will. It's going to roll out a few units at a time. Will keep you posted.
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the video Fabrice.

Facebook
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

And it's very cool!
Old 5th December 2017
Sounds natural in my opinion.
I find transients somehow silky...
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProGearLover View Post
Sounds natural in my opinion.
I find transients somehow silky...
I guess they can get pretty punchy if you push it harder, as the original unit is not a joke haha and can make your sound pretty loud and nasty.

Big ups for the video comparison, was eager to hear its actual sound. Clearly Impresser still hasn't made it to (my) Zen Studio+ so will be waiting for an update and share feedback right away!
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds really good. In these audio examples it sounds by far the best in my opinion. Not sure how close it would be to the hardware though.. I was expecting a bit more "squeeze". Non the less, sounds superb!
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

I was just forwarded the shootout of UA Distresser vs. Antelope Impresser.

Old 7th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
I was just forwarded the shootout of UA Distresser vs. Antelope Impresser.

I definitely like the overall vibe of the Impressor. The UA Distressor seemed a little too hyped in the high freq's in a way that (to my ears) would potentially result in a buildup of harshness in a mix if lots of tracks were fed through it.

The Impressor seemed to compress in a way that seemed less digital.

Good shootout.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Finally... A distressor that the dev isn't claiming was endorsed by el

Lol

Why a shoot out of this compared to just another emu? This is what we've come to... 10% of us owning actual outboard being told by the new 100% itb kiddos which emu sounds the best
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Finally... A distressor that the dev isn't claiming was endorsed by el

Lol
The only emulation "endorsed" by Empirical Labs is the UAD version. The other versions, Slate and SK Note, are "licensed" by Empirical Labs...big difference.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad View Post
The only emulation "endorsed" by Empirical Labs is the UAD version. The other versions, Slate and SK Note, are "licensed" by Empirical Labs...big difference.
Is it really, though?

I don't think it's a big anything other than uad paid bigger money to el.

And disto? Licensed? Is that what quinto's saying now? As far as it went last time I checked was that Dave Derr "developed" some disto presets in version 2.

Anyhoo... I demo'd the uad and it's really good... Better than slate? I dunno. Not really so different that it's worth uad pricing... But, I have a real pair that I only really dig occasionally when I'm doing some rock stuff.

The antelope universe and dsp is interesting to me.
Old 8th December 2017
Here for the gear

On my Zen Tour it's not appearing... it did update the firmware but no Impressor among the effects...

g
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvehead View Post
I definitely like the overall vibe of the Impressor. The UA Distressor seemed a little too hyped in the high freq's in a way that (to my ears) would potentially result in a buildup of harshness in a mix if lots of tracks were fed through it.

The Impressor seemed to compress in a way that seemed less digital.

Good shootout.
In tests I did myself, the UAD Distressor was incredibly close to the real hardware, close enough to fool me and everybody else in the room, including the owner of the real Distressor. I also found a youtube video where the real Distressor was compared to the UAD and Slate Distressor and he had the same results, again the UAD version was incredibly close to the real deal. So I don’t share the same experience as you that the UAD version sounds “digital”.

But I’m happy for you that you like the Impressor. In the end you should use what you like! It’s good we don’t all have the exact same opinion, that would be boring!
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Is it really, though?

I don't think it's a big anything other than uad paid bigger money to el.

And disto? Licensed? Is that what quinto's saying now? As far as it went last time I checked was that Dave Derr "developed" some disto presets in version 2.

Anyhoo... I demo'd the uad and it's really good... Better than slate? I dunno. Not really so different that it's worth uad pricing... But, I have a real pair that I only really dig occasionally when I'm doing some rock stuff.

The antelope universe and dsp is interesting to me.
Make sure you learn in advance how incredibly cumbersome it is to simply use the Antelope effects inside your DAW. It’s kind of crazy at the moment. When I saw a youtube video explaining how it worked, at first I thought it was a joke. But it was not meant to be funny at all.

YouTube
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
Make sure you learn in advance how incredibly cumbersome it is to simply use the Antelope effects inside your DAW. It’s kind of crazy at the moment. When I saw a youtube video explaining how it worked, at first I thought it was a joke. But it was not meant to be funny at all.

YouTube
It's exactly the same as using ANY hardware effects on a mix. In fact, easier, because you can save stacks and have many more instances. These are NOT plugins, they are hardware powered FX running on an FGPA with component modeling.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's exactly the same as using ANY hardware effects on a mix. In fact, easier, because you can save stacks and have many more instances. These are NOT plugins, they are hardware powered FX running on an FGPA with component modeling.
The Antelope plugins are not plugins... Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh!

They are indeed not easy to plug in, that’s correct. I’m so happy with my hardware powered fx running on a Sharc DSP, which I can also plug in easily in my DAW.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No matter how you twist that around it will sound a bit silly. It's a digital processing unit.. how you interface it is up to you.

The Virus TI is literally hardware.. yet they have a plugin that works just fine. No need to route stuff around.

There are absolutely no reasons why you guys couldn't do the same and make the user experience a lot slicker. So yeah.. take the criticism on the chin and accept it as it is. It's cumbersome, just like hardware. It could be way easier.. please don't come with excuses and deny that.

Heck, there are analogue hardware units that can be digitally controlled by a VST plugin (the Bettermaker brand and a few others). Those are easier to setup than your system, yet they are literally outboard hardware.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Head
I'll agree that the UA sounds a little bit harsh on the high end and that this might sound like some short of "digital noise".

As mauvehead said, the Impressor sounds "less digital".
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniej1206 View Post
I'll agree that the UA sounds a little bit harsh on the high end and that this might sound like some short of "digital noise".

As mauvehead said, the Impressor sounds "less digital".
Yeah keep telling yourself that. The UAD Distressor sounds incredibly close to the real hardware, pretty much indistinguishable. So you are basically saying thay the Impressor sounds less digital than the real hardware, lol.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Yeah keep telling yourself that. The UAD Distressor sounds incredibly close to the real hardware, pretty much indistinguishable. So you are basically saying thay the Impressor sounds less digital than the real hardware, lol.
I believe less digital compared to UA
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Head

This is where the confusion with Antelope's "effects plugins" comes into play. For some crazy reason, a fancy GUI for the convenience of the customers is where the confusion happens. if Antelope were to just do like most digital effects boxes and leave it on the front panel for us to fiddle with this wouldn't be a question as it would be just like any other effects box. Thus why everyone keeps saying these are plugins when in reality they're not. They are akin to how the H3000 or reverb units are set up more then UAD plugins. UAD has a glorified dongle attached to it as a security measure and to offload processing but their plugins will run just fine without it on modern machines, whereas the Antelope software is 100% attached to the hardware unit and literally uses a GUI on screen for both "our" convenience and better functionality like @bmanic said with other software hardware integrations. Somehow people (myself included) seem to forget that sometimes things aren't all surface and that is how "this" company works with "their" hardware/software integration.
A final example, the Bricasti is a digital reverb in a hardware box that has a software integration plugin for that box but all the processing happens in the hardware box right?!...So what's not the same here?!...ijs
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
I believe less digital compared to UA
So you have both an Antelope and an UAD-2/Apollo so you could compare both plugins and you also have the hardware Distressor, so you could compare both plugins with the hardware... or am I missing something?
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
So you have both an Antelope and an UAD-2/Apollo so you could compare both plugins and you also have the hardware Distressor, so you could compare both plugins with the hardware... or am I missing something?
Yep + i have Slate emulation as well
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
This is where the confusion with Antelope's "effects plugins" comes into play. For some crazy reason, a fancy GUI for the convenience of the customers is where the confusion happens. if Antelope were to just do like most digital effects boxes and leave it on the front panel for us to fiddle with this wouldn't be a question as it would be just like any other effects box. Thus why everyone keeps saying these are plugins when in reality they're not. They are akin to how the H3000 or reverb units are set up more then UAD plugins. UAD has a glorified dongle attached to it as a security measure and to offload processing but their plugins will run just fine without it on modern machines, whereas the Antelope software is 100% attached to the hardware unit and literally uses a GUI on screen for both "our" convenience and better functionality like @bmanic said with other software hardware integrations. Somehow people (myself included) seem to forget that sometimes things aren't all surface and that is how "this" company works with "their" hardware/software integration.
A final example, the Bricasti is a digital reverb in a hardware box that has a software integration plugin for that box but all the processing happens in the hardware box right?!...So what's not the same here?!...ijs
I was getting used to the Nebula preachers telling how “their” plugins sound so much better than “normal” plugins. It looks like people with an Antelope are doing the same with their “plugins”.

For some reason, people think that an FPGA suddenly makes those “plugins” become the holy grail. It’s software, like any other plugin. No magic involved.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Yep + i have Slate emulation as well
Aha, that’s convenient!
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I was getting used to the Nebula preachers telling how “their” plugins sound so much better than “normal” plugins. It looks like people with an Antelope are doing the same with their “plugins”.

For some reason, people think that an FPGA suddenly makes those “plugins” become the holy grail. It’s software, like any other plugin. No magic involved.
1. I actually don't own anything from them but I have common sense and watched the videos on "their" units which explain the same thing.
2. Did you not read the example of other "hardware" units that have digital functionality?!

ok man, you got it ...I'm gonna get back to using the rest of my "non-magic" fanboy gear ...
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
1. I actually don't own anything from them but I have common sense and watched the videos on "their" units which explain the same thing.
2. Did you not read the example of other "hardware" units that have digital functionality?!

ok man, you got it ...I'm gonna get back to using the rest of my "non-magic" fanboy gear ...
Relax dude
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

If you put a plugin in a metal case, is it still a plugin?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search