The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA-67 Tube Condenser Microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 1st December 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Stam Audio SA-67 Tube Condenser Microphone

Hi Guys

Very happy to announce the SA-67, an identical replica of the famous U67 microphone.

YouTube

We have managed to make it sound virtually identical to both our old U67's which was a lengthy process but we can proudly say we brought this amazing microphone back to life and at a price everybody can enjoy it. I will post some comparison videos in the upcoming weeks.

Each of these babies is hand made in Chile with the highest quality components available in the market and put through rigorous testing to make sure they will sound amazing and last many years to come.

We will start shipping these in March (realistically) and they will have a stock price of 1.290 USD. However, we have a special offer just for the month of December for those who pre-order at only 990.00. Pre-orders will run at 1.190 USD after that.

For more info and orders please visit Stam Audio or Stam Audio

Technical specs below:

• Heiserman HK-67 Capsule
• Cinemag output transformer
• EH EF86 tube
• Fully discrete Power Supply and circuit.
• Vishay Capacitors
• Polystyrene capacitors
• Custom microphone holder
• Omnidirectional, cardioid and figure 8
• 20Hz - 20kHz frequency response
• Flight case
• Wooden Box
• Hand made in Chile
• 1 year warranty
• 30 day money back guarantee
8
Share
Old 1st December 2017
  #2
Not available till march?
Old 1st December 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mequaz View Post
Not available till march? ������
Correct!
Old 1st December 2017
  #4
The web site says $1090 for the pre-order price. So if I put $200 deposit down now it will be $790.00 billed when it ships in March timeframe?
Old 1st December 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
The web site says $1090 for the pre-order price. So if I put $200 deposit down now it will be $790.00 billed when it ships in March timeframe?
Yes

It is 990 for the entire month of December!
Old 1st December 2017
  #6
Thanks Joshua! Deposit placed.
"Waiting always fills..." Michael Valentine Smith.
Old 3rd December 2017
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Correct!
Still waiting on my sa-73... ill def order this mic after my pre arrives
1
Share
Old 3rd December 2017
  #8
I've purchased 2 of these as I was so impressed with the SA-2A. I also purchased 2 SA-76 compressors to go with them. I'm excited to see how they sound and compare. Great components - Sowter etc. at a great price. I'm so sick of the originals being such stupid prices.

I'm beginning to sound like I work for the company
1
Share
Old 3rd December 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I've purchased 2 of these as I was so impressed with the SA-2A. I also purchased 2 SA-76 compressors to go with them. I'm excited to see how they sound and compare. Great components - Sowter etc. at a great price. I'm so sick of the originals being such stupid prices.

I'm beginning to sound like I work for the company
+1

A UA LA2A is now £3,500 new in the UK - for my wallet size that's just crazy for a mono tube comp.

I haven't heard an SA-2A in person but I bet sounds just as good as - if not better than a UA LA2A re-issue.
Old 3rd December 2017
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
+1

A UA LA2A is now £3,500 new in the UK - for my wallet size that's just crazy for a mono tube comp.

I haven't heard an SA-2A in person but I bet sounds just as good as - if not better than a UA LA2A re-issue.
Sold my Vintage one the next day after comparing them and deciding the Stam sounded fatter.
3
Share
Old 3rd December 2017
  #11
This is reeeealy exciting... the demo is promising for sure!
Old 3rd December 2017
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Hi Guys

Each of these babies is hand made in Chile with the highest quality components available in the market and put through rigorous testing to make sure they will sound amazing and last many years to come.
Hi Joshua, if we order in pairs are they fairly well matched? The demo sounds very smooth by the way. Great top end.
Also Having ordered 2 different pairs of 2 different products, will I get them at the same time? Not all together but in pairs?

Paul Godfrey
Morcheeba
1
Share
Old 4th December 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Hi Paul

The 76's will be ready before the SA-67, I estimate the 76's to start shipping in 6 weeks while the 67 starts shipping in March

Yes, I can get them fairly close, not identically matched but within 5% or less. With the compressor it is easier than the mic.

My policy has always been to manufacture that sounds 100% identical to the original and this takes a lot of time, research and testing over and over again for years sometimes. A lot of studios have sold other more expensive replicas in favor to ours and the SA-67 is no exemption, I had make dozens of trips to studios to make sure I could get it to sound the same, I will upload a video with an A-B soon!!
1
Share
Old 5th December 2017
  #14
Gear Nut
 

I'm in, just paid the deposit.
Old 5th December 2017
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Hi Paul

The 76's will be ready before the SA-67, I estimate the 76's to start shipping in 6 weeks while the 67 starts shipping in March

Yes, I can get them fairly close, not identically matched but within 5% or less. With the compressor it is easier than the mic.

My policy has always been to manufacture that sounds 100% identical to the original and this takes a lot of time, research and testing over and over again for years sometimes. A lot of studios have sold other more expensive replicas in favor to ours and the SA-67 is no exemption, I had make dozens of trips to studios to make sure I could get it to sound the same, I will upload a video with an A-B soon!!
Thanks so much for the explanation Joshua! I'm pleased we'll miss Xmas post.
I'm very excited about my new purchases and look forward to putting them to work!
I understand that the Microphone is out of your control compared to the compressor. Either way if I get them at the same time it'll be great!
Cheers
Paul

Last edited by Paul_G; 6th December 2017 at 10:42 PM..
Old 6th December 2017
  #16
Gear Addict
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Yes

It is 990 for the entire month of December!
Hello Joshua,
Can you tell us a little bit about your old U67.
Is it a modded one.... and so on.
Thanks
Markus
1
Share
Old 16th December 2017
  #17
Hey Joshua,
I would truly love to hear the a and b comparison with the other vintage u67.
I think a lot of people would agree ;-)
Happy Holidays Joshua!!!!
2
Share
Old 16th December 2017
  #18
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I'm in, just paid the deposit.
Having tested many of these clone U47's U67's microphones it is highly and very dangerous committing to buying a microphone where there is absolutely no feedback Youtube videos or independent testing by the public, the Microphone could easily sound just wrong not good at all not opened enough not warm enough am very closed in trapped sounding.

I personally would never commit to any deposit on any microphone, the thought of packaging it all up making sure it's package exactly how it came making sure there is no dents scratches spit or saliva on the capsule, paying for the delivery cost and the insurance for it to be sent back hoping that it will not be lost in the post is just too much headache and hassle.

If Stam Audio SA-67 sounds like a U67 amen
1
Share
Old 17th December 2017
  #19
Gear Nut
 

I was considering building a DIY U67 and installing a Neumann capsule. However this mic looks very promising. I like that there is a Heiserman capsule inside. The DIY clones have some different transformer options ranging from the AMI BV12, AMI T67 and the ioaudio BV.12. I am curious about the specifications of the Cinemag transformer selected for the SA-67. Some of the DIY clones rely on re-purposing a Chinese built power supply (like an Apex 460) and modding it to provide the correct voltages...while this is clearly possible to me it just looks cheap and amateurish. I went to the Stam website but I did not see any pictures of the power supply - but I hope it is in a similar case like the SA-47's power supply. Looking forward to hearing peoples reviews and more sound clips after they get them in March.
Old 17th December 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Do you have a price for the UK?
Old 17th December 2017
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post
Having tested many of these clone U47's U67's microphones it is highly and very dangerous committing to buying a microphone where there is absolutely no feedback Youtube videos or independent testing by the public, the Microphone could easily sound just wrong not good at all not opened enough not warm enough am very closed in trapped sounding.

I personally would never commit to any deposit on any microphone, the thought of packaging it all up making sure it's package exactly how it came making sure there is no dents scratches spit or saliva on the capsule, paying for the delivery cost and the insurance for it to be sent back hoping that it will not be lost in the post is just too much headache and hassle.

If Stam Audio SA-67 sounds like a U67 amen
Cheerful and trusting soul aren't you Terence? You even accused me of being a Chandler shill. You know nothing of these companies, us as people or the modern culture of boutique companies.
What do you say to that?
4
Share
Old 17th December 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Cheerful and trusting soul aren't you Terence? You even accused me of being a Chandler shill. You know nothing of these companies, us as people or the modern culture of boutique companies.
What do you say to that?
Paul, ignore this troll, he's posting almost identical posts on the Warm Audio WA47 thread........ he earned my ignore button.
1
Share
Old 17th December 2017
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Cheerful and trusting soul aren't you Terence? You even accused me of being a Chandler shill. You know nothing of these companies, us as people or the modern culture of boutique companies.
What do you say to that?
+1 terrysound is a troll for sure. Check the WA47 thread. He literally copied the same post from one thread to the other.
Added to my ignore list so @terrysound please leave me out of your internet ramblings.
1
Share
Old 17th December 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post
Having tested many of these clone U47's U67's microphones it is highly and very dangerous committing to buying a microphone where there is absolutely no feedback Youtube videos or independent testing by the public, the Microphone could easily sound just wrong not good at all not opened enough not warm enough am very closed in trapped sounding.

I personally would never commit to any deposit on any microphone, the thought of packaging it all up making sure it's package exactly how it came making sure there is no dents scratches spit or saliva on the capsule, paying for the delivery cost and the insurance for it to be sent back hoping that it will not be lost in the post is just too much headache and hassle.

If Stam Audio SA-67 sounds like a U67 amen
Jesus, shut up. No one cares what you want or don't want to do.
4
Share
Old 18th December 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 

If it was 2003 I would be all in for a U 67 replica.
With slate VMS and FG 67 Mk 2 I don´t see any valid argument for it anymore.
However good luck
Old 18th December 2017
  #26
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
If it was 2003 I would be all in for a U 67 replica.
With slate VMS and FG 67 Mk 2 I don´t see any valid argument for it anymore.
However good luck
Was this really necessary?

It'd be nice if we didn't have to drag VMS into most microphone threads, if VMS impresses your ears great..

My ears are pleased with real tubes and real transformers (with their own capsule designs, transformer designs, shielding techniques (ala SM7b), tube designs, circuit designs, looks), no amount of marketing or comparisons that are not in MY environment with MY setup is going to change that, unless MY ears dictate otherwise.

It would be a dull and boring world if everyone heard and thought the same way, so instead of imposing opinion hows about we enjoy what Stam is offering us aye?

.............................................................................................................

Anywho, the SA-2A for me is the best sounding re-creation of the LA2A and if the STAM 67 comes anywhere close to my 67 I'll be able to take that long deserved holiday..

Can't wait Joshua, let us hear clips ASAP ..!

Last edited by ShadowAMD; 18th December 2017 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Just to spell it out..!
1
Share
Old 18th December 2017
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
My ears are pleased with real tubes and real transformers, no amount of marketing or comparisons that are not in MY environment with MY setup is going to change that, unless MY ears dictate otherwise.
I don't want to be that guy, but actually there is a real transformer inside the Slate VMS
1
Share
Old 18th December 2017
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
I don't want to be that guy, but actually there is a real transformer inside the Slate VMS
Way to quote out of context, are you going to tell me it has a tube next? That it matches the exact design of a BV8 tranny output from a U47 tube? Or it can automagically morph into having a 6AU6A pentode valve?

Tbh, I don't really care.. It's the design path from end to end without software I'm interested in.
Old 18th December 2017
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Way to quote out of context, are you going to tell me it has a tube next?
No, read again, I'm just saying there is an REAL TRANSFORMER inside the Slate VMS
Old 18th December 2017
  #30
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
No, read again, I'm just saying there is an REAL TRANSFORMER inside the Slate VMS
Thought you didn't want to be 'that guy'.
2
Share
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump