The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Releases Classic Tubes 3 for Virtual Microphone System Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd December 2017
Here for the gear

FG-44.

Wow.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Those are on another level. Really digging them.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

I spent the whole night trying the new models.
Wow !

Loving the new 67 on guitar and vocals.
It´s more like the vintage 67s I know than the former model.
However I fully understand Steven´s reasons to release
the `pristine` models first.
It´s such a luxury to have both !

44 is a beast - on everything !
Vocals, guitar, drums - what can I say - a dream comes true.
Deep, warm, wooly, soft....
And takes eq well like nothing else.

The 37 is really special on some voices
though my personal favourite are 47 mk1 and the 12 - depending on the source.

I was surprised how little I liked the 49.
A little too narrow sounding for my taste.

I don´t know how the other guys feel changing 20 thousand dollar mics with a mouseclick but - damn I feel rich

Thanks so much for this Steven !
Can´t wait for ML-2 and all the new sdc models.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Nut

Steven, I might be in LA around that time. I’m a fairly decent singer also, and I play all instruments. Keep us posted. If I’m free that day it would be cool to watch you guys making history.
Old 4th December 2017
Here for the gear

Steven - any plans on modeling a U87?
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madubbs View Post
Steven - any plans on modeling a U87?
If I recall correctly there's an 87 pack in the pipeline. If :¬)
Old 5th December 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Steven,

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this release. The mics sound incredible.

May I offer a product suggestion?

It would be amazing if you could create a live mic with this technology. How awesome it would be to sing live with a ribbon mic without the figure eight pattern...or to sing through a U47 on stage!?!

No computers required please -- but a rack mount processor with a built in pre would be cool. Just think...you could change another industry!

Old 5th December 2017
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Thanks for the suggestion Jason! We have some stuff brewing that I think you’ll like!

Hope everyone is enjoying the new Mics!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 5th December 2017
Here for the gear

I didn't have a lot of tracks with VMS on them so I tried the new models on tracks that were recorded with other mics. It still kicks ass. I used the C37 on a piano that had been recorded with Countryman B3s and it really opened it up. I also used the 44 ribbon model on a sax that was played through a sennheiser G3 wireless mic and it fixed the harshness.

gonna try them on a proper track soon.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Maniac
The new 47 is really something special. It has a heft to it that the first 47 model didn't. This will probably be my new go to for acoustic guitar. In the past I would always pick the old 47 but I'd inevitably swap it out for the 251. I don't think this new one is getting swapped out! Thanks for the upgrade.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Addict

included in the everything bundle pro?
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Jason! We have some stuff brewing that I think you’ll like!

Hope everyone is enjoying the new Mics!

Cheers,
Steven
I second this suggestion. I use your plugins Live all the time (via thunderbolt interfaces). I would love to have the FG-800M live, or the 269... or the 12.. or... or...

I’ve been debating buying a 3rd VMS to put the guts into a large handheld housing I’ve got lying around.

You could also team up with Sennheiser or Shure to build a wireless handheld to VMS specs and make the mic emulations selectable at the receiver. Like the Pearl team up.

Just dreaming...
Old 8th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mihaljevic View Post
Yes, will do that when I'm at my studio tomorrow
Could you add the raw VMS recording? - just curious how much color the emulations add. It your too busy then don't worry about it.
Thanks
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axon Jackson View Post
Could you add the raw VMS recording? - just curious how much color the emulations add. It your too busy then don't worry about it.
Thanks
Yes, sorry, completely forgot about it. I won't be at the studio tomorrow, but I will be on Sunday and I'll upload it then
Old 8th December 2017
Here for the gear

Great - Thanks!
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen View Post
Loving all these new mic models on an acoustic guitar!

Here's the same guitar takes (a Martin D16GT) using all the Classic Tubes 1,2 and 3 emulations, including a file with no emulation.

All the mic models are at 100% intensity, the FG 73 pre-amp plug in is at a 35 'drive' setting and the VMS One pre-amp gain was at 7.5. No further processing, the mic was about a foot away pointing at 12th fret.

All files available to download here in WAV format:

https://app.box.com/s/cmcxlyg8qnjyil4m965mu0l2ws7qby95
Thanks for posting these. The recordings sound great.

I was wondering: What kind of room were you recording in? What are its dimensions? What kind of acoustic treatment do you have?
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
Thanks for posting these. The recordings sound great.

I was wondering: What kind of room were you recording in? What are its dimensions? What kind of acoustic treatment do you have?
Glad you found them useful!

It's a 3m x 3m carpeted bedroom, about 2.3m high with a bed and some acoustic foam on two walls. I've added an image of a mock up of what the recording setup looked like at the time, I was sat on the bed edge, that's the slate in the red shockmount, door was shut of course and the acoustic guitar case wasn't there. The other two walls don't have acoustic foam and the wall to the right has a mirrored sliding door to the BIR.
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Releases Classic Tubes 3 for Virtual Microphone System-img_0184.jpg  
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Glad you found them useful!

It's a 3m x 3m carpeted bedroom, about 2.3m high with a bed and some acoustic foam on two walls. I've added an image of a mock up of what the recording setup looked like at the time, I was sat on the bed edge, that's the slate in the red shockmount, door was shut of course and the acoustic guitar case wasn't there. The other two walls don't have acoustic foam and the wall to the right has a mirrored sliding door to the BIR.
I'm blown away that you are able to get such terrific strummed acoustic guitar recordings in such a small room. My own room is slightly bigger and with a little more acoustic treatment, and I'm struggling to get good strummed acoustic guitar recordings.

When you made these recordings, how old were your guitar strings?
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm blown away that you are able to get such terrific strummed acoustic guitar recordings in such a small room. My own room is slightly bigger and with a little more acoustic treatment, and I'm struggling to get good strummed acoustic guitar recordings.

When you made these recordings, how old were your guitar strings?
They were quite recent strings, maybe 10-12 hours of playing since new. I'd say it's a pretty good testament to the Slate VMS Mic and pre and the capsule the mic has, it's very detailed and linear.

What sort of acoustic guitar do you have and where are you placing your mic? Is it the Slate VMS mic too?
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They were quite recent strings, maybe 10-12 hours of playing since new. I'd say it's a pretty good testament to the Slate VMS Mic and pre and the capsule the mic has, it's very detailed and linear.

What sort of acoustic guitar do you have and where are you placing your mic? Is it the Slate VMS mic too?
I have a Collings acoustic, a very good guitar (but perhaps better for finger-picking than strumming) , and I'm placing it exactly where you are (the mic a foot away aimed at the 12th fret), but I'm not getting the same results you are. My mic is usually a Lawson L47MP.

Some guitars just record better being strummed than others. Martins are like that. I'm generally not a big fan of Martins for fingerpicking, but some of them sound wonderful being strummed. Yours might be one of those.

I think 10 to 12 hours of use on strings might be a sweet spot I should try. I've been recording acoustics with brand new strings and the offending frequencies are largely in the 1500 to 2500 Hz zone -- that might be because the strings are too new and bright. Maybe with a little more use on the strings, those strident frequencies will calm a little.
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have a Collings acoustic, a very good guitar (but perhaps better for finger-picking than strumming) , and I'm placing it exactly where you are (the mic a foot away aimed at the 12th fret), but I'm not getting the same results you are. My mic is usually a Lawson L47MP.

Some guitars just record better being strummed than others. Martins are like that. I'm generally not a big fan of Martins for fingerpicking, but some of them sound wonderful being strummed. Yours might be one of those.

I think 10 to 12 hours of use on strings might be a sweet spot I should try. I've been recording acoustics with brand new strings and the offending frequencies are largely in the 1500 to 2500 Hz zone -- that might be because the strings are too new and bright. Maybe with a little more use on the strings, those strident frequencies will calm a little.
Yeah definitely brand new strings have a bit of extra treble/twang which may or may not be desired on a recording. I generally like the sound of my guitar after they've been stretched/worn in a bit, has a more round kind of tone. Even just leaving brand new strings on a few days seems to dull that extra twang.

I've not used the Lawson mic but from what I just read it has a pretty big bottom end which might mask some of the detail in the upper frequencies, but as long as it's set to cardioid, in that classic 12th fret spot I'd reckon it must be capable of getting a great acoustic sound.
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axon Jackson View Post
Great - Thanks!
Ok, here you go - ct3 - Google Drive
I added the VMS raw file to the folder. It's got 0 processing on it (no mic or pre models, no compression and no reverb). The other files switch between all the mic models, but go through the same preamp emulation (FG-73), compressor (FG-116 black) and reverb.
Sorry for the wait!
Old 10th December 2017
Here for the gear

Nice one - Thanks!
Old 11th December 2017

Quote:
Ok, here you go - ct3 - Google Drive
I added the VMS raw file to the folder. It's got 0 processing on it (no mic or pre models, no compression and no reverb). The other files switch between all the mic models, but go through the same preamp emulation (FG-73), compressor (FG-116 black) and reverb.
Sorry for the wait!
Thank you for posting!

I hope everyone is loving the new pack of Mics!

Curious to see what current VMS users think of the new mk2 47 and 67 compared to the originals!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 12th December 2017
GMR
Lives for gear

Well over here, I prefer both MkII versions of 47 & 67 than the versionMKI versions

the mk1 47, I don't like at all on my voice, way too much mids for my taste

I also enjoy the 49 as I used the have a Soundelux E49 a few years ago

But the 800' s just work for me. Was worth buying VMS just for that
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Head

I also prefer both mkII versions on my voice. Haven't had a chance yet to try the 47 mkII outside a kick drum and in front of a bass amp, but I will the next time I track drums or a bass amp
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Maniac

The new 67 is my favourite in general. The Mk2 67 sounds very close to the real vintage one i have. I still use 800 on rap vocs and the 251 on various pop vocs.
Great job.
This one goes to Santa Claus: i wish there was a compressor (fg-stress) inside the VMS preamp
Cheers
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitzalong Daway View Post
This one goes to Santa Claus: i wish there was a compressor (fg-stress) inside the VMS preamp������
Cheers
To be able to ride the gain whilst tracking?
Old 13th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Well over here, I prefer both MkII versions of 47 & 67 than the versionMKI versions

the mk1 47, I don't like at all on my voice, way too much mids for my taste

I also enjoy the 49 as I used the have a Soundelux E49 a few years ago

But the 800' s just work for me. Was worth buying VMS just for that

Quote:
I also prefer both mkII versions on my voice. Haven't had a chance yet to try the 47 mkII outside a kick drum and in front of a bass amp, but I will the next time I track drums or a bass amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitzalong Daway View Post
The new 67 is my favourite in general. The Mk2 67 sounds very close to the real vintage one i have. I still use 800 on rap vocs and the 251 on various pop vocs.
Great job.
This one goes to Santa Claus: i wish there was a compressor (fg-stress) inside the VMS preamp������
Cheers
Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad you guys like the mk2's!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 13th December 2017

What mics do you guys want modeled in future packs? FET mics too!

Cheers,
Steven
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search