The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer Equalizer Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer

Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series

StonEQ 4k is inspired by the idea of mixing the best of the 4000 EQ’s two units: The Brown version (which in our opinion is the most musical) and the best attributes of the Black version.

Differing from the hundreds of analog EQ emulations in the plugin market, StonEQ 4k has its own personality, color and behavior. It is not, nor does it try to be, a faithful emulation of the original EQ.

Let us demonstrate with an example: When using the "Width" control, you will notice that from 0% to 49% the equalizer is rather surgical -- mostly used to "repair" audio as well as to eliminate unwanted resonances or frequencies. In this sense, the band behaves more like the Black unit. However, when employing a width from 50% to 100%, the band will become much more musical.

In addition, StonEQ 4k features its own unique form of saturation, ranging from subtle to aggressive.

Key Features
  • Refined analog style. Four bands and two filters.
  • Highs: Featuring selectable high shelf or bell filter.
  • High Mids: Ranging from 300 Hz to 7000 Hz.
  • Low Mids: Ranging from 100 Hz to 3000 Hz.
  • Lows: Featuring selectable low shelf or bell filter.
  • Filters: Featuring low pass and high pass filters.
  • Saturation Ranges from very subtle, passing through "warm" levels, all the way to levels approaching overdriven.
  • Output to level the output volume.
  • A/B switch for A/B comparison.
  • Presets system to create and edit both user and factory presets.
  • Support for HQ screen resolution (Retina)
  • Optimized for real time usage
  • Internal 64-bit floating point double precision.
StonEQ 4k Specs

Supported platforms
Audio Unit, VST 2.4, VST 3, AAX. All platforms support both 32 and 64 bit operation.

Supported Operating systems:
Mac OSX 10.8 or newer
Windows 7 or newer

Technical specifications:
Sample Rate Support: up to 192 khz.
Bit Depth: 64 bits (floating point).
Channels: Mono and Stereo.
Latency: Zero.

Regular Price: $59 - Introductory price: $49

For further information and to purchase, please visit: Sonimus - StonEQ 4k

Old 4 weeks ago
Sonimus StonEQ 4k Equalizer

<Press release posted above>
Attached Thumbnails
Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer-23439611_1634287903260147_1416793346_n.png   Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer-23514826_1634287899926814_1000059860_o.jpg   Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer-23469259_1634289759926628_355854061_o.jpg  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 4 weeks ago at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Thanks Joe!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

that GUI is gorgeous. not sure if I need another eq though... would love to have the Channel Strip from Sonimus,
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
They should bundle this with Satson
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry to be "that chap" who complains but.. Sonimus, what the heck is up with the weird twisted, nausea inducing Graphical User Interface? The faux 3D weird perspective is horrible. I can literally not look at the plugin without feeling dizzy.

Look, I can usually forgive user interfaces but this is just plain bad. Mind-twisting bad.

I'm sure many people will not suffer from this but I do.. I literally get nauseous and have to scroll down the page quickly so as to avoid looking at the image.

The SonEQ Pro suffers from the same issue so let me take a guess: Whoever the graphics artist on these projects is, he/she does NOT suffer from this kind of syndrome (which is thoroughly known and investigated) and is completely ignorant about how these faux 3D effects can affect some people. Please put a word out to the designer of these GUIs that he/she should read up on these things and get educated. Ever wondered why none of the established "large" companies make these rookie mistakes when it comes to 3D GUI? It's either because they have a large enough pool of people that test the plugins or then they are aware of the pitfalls of faux 3D that can cause nausea.

Needless to say, I wont be demoing nor purchasing this as I can _literally_ not look at it without feeling ill.

EDIT: I get slightly nauseous from Sweetone too, which I unfortunately still bought. Rarely do I open the plugin though. Not sure what it is with specifically Sonimus GUI's but they are just "wrong" somehow and literally twist my mind and make me nauseous. There have been a few other companies who had some trouble with this but most of them either fixed the problems or are so obscure or irrelevant that they don't care nor does it matter (Admiral Quality Poly-Ana synth being perhaps an exception.. still a GUI that makes me nauseous with a horrible faux 3D perspective).
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
They should bundle this with Satson
Yeah this looks and sounds awesome (already installed the demo) but I'm wondering how this is supposed to work alongside Satson. Satson already has drive and HP/LP Filters so there's huge feature overlap. If they would have put a VU meter on this thing it would have essentially been a Satson channel strip.

I'm hoping that Satson MK II is redesigned to work well with StonEQ with NO feature overlap.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Sorry to be "that chap" who complains but.. Sonimus, what the heck is up with the weird twisted, nausea inducing Graphical User Interface? The faux 3D weird perspective is horrible. I can literally not look at the plugin without feeling dizzy.

Look, I can usually forgive user interfaces but this is just plain bad. Mind-twisting bad.

I'm sure many people will not suffer from this but I do.. I literally get nauseous and have to scroll down the page quickly so as to avoid looking at the image.

The SonEQ Pro suffers from the same issue so let me take a guess: Whoever the graphics artist on these projects is, he/she does NOT suffer from this kind of syndrome (which is thoroughly known and investigated) and is completely ignorant about how these faux 3D effects can affect some people. Please put a word out to the designer of these GUIs that he/she should read up on these things and get educated. Ever wondered why none of the established "large" companies make these rookie mistakes when it comes to 3D GUI? It's either because they have a large enough pool of people that test the plugins or then they are aware of the pitfalls of faux 3D that can cause nausea.

Needless to say, I wont be demoing nor purchasing this as I can _literally_ not look at it without feeling ill.

EDIT: I get slightly nauseous from Sweetone too, which I unfortunately still bought. Rarely do I open the plugin though. Not sure what it is with specifically Sonimus GUI's but they are just "wrong" somehow and literally twist my mind and make me nauseous. There have been a few other companies who had some trouble with this but most of them either fixed the problems or are so obscure or irrelevant that they don't care nor does it matter (Admiral Quality Poly-Ana synth being perhaps an exception.. still a GUI that makes me nauseous with a horrible faux 3D perspective).
Don't wanna be making fun of any condition you might have -cause it doesn't sound normal!- but yes admittedly the GUI looks a little funky, but ppl who get motion sickness don't complain about cars existing either, so yeah... I dunno.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Bought it!
I m supersatisfied with Tuco and sweetone!
Good job Sonimus
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
Don't wanna be making fun of any condition you might have -cause it doesn't sound normal!- but yes admittedly the GUI looks a little funky, but ppl who get motion sickness don't complain about cars existing either, so yeah... I dunno.
I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority who actually starts feeling nauseous (the GUI of StonEQ 4k is so bad that I actually feel dizzy several minutes after looking at the image).

This is how it feels to me:

It's like this image combined with this "bad" 3D perspective (too high FOV).

I can not explain it any better.. the image of StonEQ (and SonEQ Pro too) makes it feel like I'm falling and spinning and that things are just weirdly squashed towards the middle of the screen. It's very hard to put into words but the effect is _instant_ nausea and dizzyness. I'm 99.99% sure this is a field where there are lots of studies, especially now that VR is taking off. Some people are just very sensitive to images that are distorted beyond reality. Here the developers have tried to make some kind of camera lens effect (which is NOT AT ALL how the human eye sees things) that is highly exaggerated and just way out of proportion. This is then combined with unfortunate color and highlight vs shadow choices which further make the image even more nauseous and confusing for the brain (that is, further from reality as perceived by me, the viewer).

In short: This is bad UI design at the core. Sure, the person creating this may not be suffering from the effects but that doesn't mean he/she should be ignorant of it. There are plenty of wannabe UI designers who are color blind and produce all kinds of hideous color combinations that look pleasing to them but make the rest of us non-color blind people go "wtf??". In this case the color blind person just needs to adapt and learn what can and can not be combined. Here it's the reverse.. I'm a potential customer but as the UI makes me literally feel sick I can not even for a second consider purchasing let alone demo this product. It's the job of the designer to not diminish the customer base by potentially bad UI design choices.

It's like creating an album of music with a massive super-loud sine-wave spike at 20kHz, not caring at all about the harm and pain it will cause people who still hear that frequency loud and clear (I don't.. mine is way down in level at that level).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Bought it! Gonna be a fun weekend playing with this new toy :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I like interface a lot. This is going to be awesome weekend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyguitar View Post
Yeah this looks and sounds awesome (already installed the demo) but I'm wondering how this is supposed to work alongside Satson. Satson already has drive and HP/LP Filters so there's huge feature overlap. If they would have put a VU meter on this thing it would have essentially been a Satson channel strip.

I'm hoping that Satson MK II is redesigned to work well with StonEQ with NO feature overlap.
So if you don't already have Satson and purchase StonEQ then there's no need to purchase Satson??

Also wasn't there supposedly a v2 update coming for all their other plugs??
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
So if you don't already have Satson and purchase StonEQ then there's no need to purchase Satson??

Also wasn't there supposedly a v2 update coming for all their other plugs??
No, satson is primarily for gainstaging, the filters are just bonus.
The gainstaging needs an input adjust.
Old 4 weeks ago
OMU
Lives for gear

I'm with bmanic on this, and I don't even suffer from any syndrome. Some very photorealistic GUIs from Acustica (Lime) are also hard to read/use. No idea why someone would want that. Make the perspective less photorealistic and keep the same angle for all knobs like PA, UA etc. It doesn't have to look like the user is somewhere above it, but rather exactly in front of it, without the perspective thing which makes no sense to some of us. Anyway, I hope it sounds good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

GUI is fine the way it is, I just wish it was resizable!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority who actually starts feeling nauseous (the GUI of StonEQ 4k is so bad that I actually feel dizzy several minutes after looking at the image).

This is how it feels to me:

It's like this image combined with this "bad" 3D perspective (too high FOV).

I can not explain it any better.. the image of StonEQ (and SonEQ Pro too) makes it feel like I'm falling and spinning and that things are just weirdly squashed towards the middle of the screen. It's very hard to put into words but the effect is _instant_ nausea and dizzyness. I'm 99.99% sure this is a field where there are lots of studies, especially now that VR is taking off. Some people are just very sensitive to images that are distorted beyond reality. Here the developers have tried to make some kind of camera lens effect (which is NOT AT ALL how the human eye sees things) that is highly exaggerated and just way out of proportion. This is then combined with unfortunate color and highlight vs shadow choices which further make the image even more nauseous and confusing for the brain (that is, further from reality as perceived by me, the viewer).

In short: This is bad UI design at the core. Sure, the person creating this may not be suffering from the effects but that doesn't mean he/she should be ignorant of it. There are plenty of wannabe UI designers who are color blind and produce all kinds of hideous color combinations that look pleasing to them but make the rest of us non-color blind people go "wtf??". In this case the color blind person just needs to adapt and learn what can and can not be combined. Here it's the reverse.. I'm a potential customer but as the UI makes me literally feel sick I can not even for a second consider purchasing let alone demo this product. It's the job of the designer to not diminish the customer base by potentially bad UI design choices.

It's like creating an album of music with a massive super-loud sine-wave spike at 20kHz, not caring at all about the harm and pain it will cause people who still hear that frequency loud and clear (I don't.. mine is way down in level at that level).
If it really does the same thing for you as your first image does for me, that's horrofic!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hi all for me the gui is awesome couse i work with controllers and move this knobs with real knobs is fantastic....i love the switches too!
Greetings
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

I totally agree. Difficult for me to look at. I own several Sonimus plugins, GUI has never really affected me like this one does.... perhaps, it's the vertically long GUI that makes faux 3d perspective more difficult to view.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds great, like the gui, no complaints here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I have Sweetone.
You literally (almost) copied things I had said long long time ago.
Unfortunately he spawned the same interface type over to other plugs.

Luckily I have a version of burnley that I can actually look at.

ToCu passes my visual cortex but I guess subconsciously I still can't stand it.
Donno what's so hard to supply us with 2D interface (even as an option) but it's his choice.

These are plugs that for the first time EVER (and that's a LONG time) I can NOT look at.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have never had any issues with these GUIs, but I have to say, the 3D on the knobs is a tad much now that it's mentioned.

This looks like a good channel strip to use on all channels of a mix. I am kinda curious about it. I am not sure if I would spend $50 on it, even though it's a good price, I have too many EQs. Maybe Black Friday sale?

And, no metering?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I don't know, when I adjusting knobs on my hardware units I'm not standing right in front of it and I always see it with some perspective from different angles.
So this recreation in software is fine to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I'm with bmanic on this, and I don't even suffer from any syndrome. Some very photorealistic GUIs from Acustica (Lime) are also hard to read/use. No idea why someone would want that. Make the perspective less photorealistic and keep the same angle for all knobs like PA, UA etc. It doesn't have to look like the user is somewhere above it, but rather exactly in front of it, without the perspective thing which makes no sense to some of us. Anyway, I hope it sounds good.
Not interested in derailing the thread, but we have an alternative skin for lime completely without lens distortion
Carry on!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Tried it. Very sweet. I need more demo time but it seems great.

I adore gui even more now.

I dont know for me it is just fine and very nice. To each their own.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think the GUI works — You just have imagine it’s sitting lower in your rack, and that your viewing it from slightly above.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am loving this so far. Great workflow and built-in sonimus distortion is very handy. This could become my go-to EQ. Without drive, it's an extremely clean and smooth sound. Drive knob sounds about right to me too.

I don't have a problem at all with the look of the UI, but I can sympathise with those that do. A flatter UI where all knobs have the same perspective as the very top one would look slightly cleaner IMO.

One slightly confusing element of the UI is the top (hi freq) bell switch. The bottom (low freq) bell switch is fine. But the top bell switch has the word "BELL" above the switch, but the bell (and the light) switches on when the switch is pointing DOWN. (You can test bell-vs-shelf by setting the high shelf/bell freq to 1.5kHz). The word "BELL" needs to be moved to BELOW the switch, as with the bottom switch, to make this slightly less confusing in the heat of the moment.

This could easily become my go-to analyser EQ I think. SonEQ Pro is also great, but it was always a little bit too quirky for general use (HP limited to max of 250Hz, lack of detailed Q options, slightly confusing hi freq boost / cut modes). But this has all the great Sonimus sound, but is more "standard" and intuitive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, I cannot look at it without feeling it in my stomic. Strange but true. (And after looking the feeling does not end until 15-30 seconds or so. It makes me feel seasick.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh, this sounds good. Sounds rounder than Bx_console E in my initial tests.

Loved the unique touch of Sonimus, making it change from the Brown to the Black knob depending on the Q.

The GUI is fine.

I would actually purchase this if I didn't have bx_console E. Having the compressor and gate makes it much more easier on the workflow. If anyone is not interested in that features, this EQ might be a no brainer.
Old 4 weeks ago
we need a satson ver 2
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
we need a satson ver 2
Whats needed in version 2?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search