The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMGAudio TrackComp Dynamics Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I very much enjoy Trackcomp how it is. An oversampling option would be appreciated, but I purchased it because it serves my needs as it exists now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What I think that this plugin would benefit from is oversampling and I cheer for that option in next update. I personally dont need anything else except that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimieux View Post
BUT, my primary concern is headroom and clarity across a mix. If I'm compressing a mid-range sound, I don't want my compressor plug-in introducing aliasing in higher or lower regions of the frequency spectrum. I want those ranges clear and free for my other sounds. I also don't want to chuck on an EQ/filter after the compressor just to remove aliasing artefacts (e.g. lower-mid/bass/sub-bass artefacts).
Oh man, /please/ don't put a revD 76 across a whole mix, digital OR analogue. Maybe you could get away with a rev F or later, but ewwwwwwww.
Edit: Unless you are making 90s grunge. In the which case, go wild!

Still considering the oversampling thing. I have it lying around. It's really more of a philosophical question. Maybe the big request is the revF output stage. It's basically just replacing the output stage with a clean opamp.

Dave.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
In pieces in the office. In one piece in the office. PCBs on the way. Unit on the way.

Dave.
Now we're talking, a RED 3. I'll take the demo for a ride when that happens

Btw, is there other way to purchase from you besides PayPal and bank transfers?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Now we're talking, a RED 3. I'll take the demo for a ride when that happens

Btw, is there other way to purchase from you besides PayPal and bank transfers?
I have "add support for STRIPE" on my TODO list.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Oh man, /please/ don't put a revD 76 across a whole mix, digital OR analogue. Maybe you could get away with a rev F or later, but ewwwwwwww.

Still considering the oversampling thing. I have it lying around. It's really more of a philosophical question. Maybe the big request is the revF output stage. It's basically just replacing the output stage with a clean opamp.

Dave.
That's taking "break'n the rules" to a whole new level. But hey, ya never know..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

With all these new offers on SSL Buss Compressors; how do you think Trackcomp model performs against Duende or Waves?
The HPF alone does it for me but I haven’t done any tests.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
With all these new offers on SSL Buss Compressors; how do you think Trackcomp model performs against Duende or Waves?
The HPF alone does it for me but I haven’t done any tests.
You must make a decision based on what you hear - please just get in touch if you need more demo time.

However, getting my nerd on for a minute, I want to tell you about how for the G-Bus model, I found a way to prewarp the timing coefficients, so that it's closer to the hardware WITHOUT oversampling. This only matters for fast attacks, but I'm really proud of it. If I can find a way to bring prewarping into the general case spice simulation, that'll be awesome. FWIW, you're unlikely to ever hear it - it might represent a fraction of a pixel in where you set the attack/release times, but +I+ care

Dave.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You must make a decision based on what you hear - please just get in touch if you need more demo time.

However, getting my nerd on for a minute, I want to tell you about how for the G-Bus model, I found a way to prewarp the timing coefficients, so that it's closer to the hardware WITHOUT oversampling. This only matters for fast attacks, but I'm really proud of it. If I can find a way to bring prewarping into the general case spice simulation, that'll be awesome. FWIW, you're unlikely to ever hear it - it might represent a fraction of a pixel in where you set the attack/release times, but +I+ care

Dave.
I bought Trackcomp right away and I’m loving it!
What do you think about Duende and Waves?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dave.
Great, but I would still settle for realtime and bounce oversampling options (2,4,8,16x). Pretty please.....Thx
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maybe the big request is the revF output stage.
Niiiiceee
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I didn't have the time to properly test it. Does a new bugfix version resets the test period or am I out of luck?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have "add support for STRIPE" on my TODO list.
Please, Dave. I've had Limitless in my list for quite a bit of time and now TrackComp sounds like a very interesting set of comps.

Btw, the Red 3 unit you're waiting for... does it have transformers?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please, Dave. I've had Limitless in my list for quite a bit of time and now TrackComp sounds like a very interesting set of comps.

Limitless is absolutely fantastic, David. I don't know if you've demoed it or not, but wow is it good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothermarkwilliams View Post
Limitless is absolutely fantastic, David. I don't know if you've demoed it or not, but wow is it good.
Hey Mark! it's been a while!

No, I haven't tried the demo but I read the manual when it came out and it seemed like a very interesting approach to limiting. If Dave tackles that item out of his TODO list I will try it for sure (as well as TrackComp)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Yea, there are two models of Red 3. Older one with transformers (which everyone love, including myself) and a newer one without... Would be strange if emu would be without tranformers/mojo....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Regarding the Duende G-comp now on sale: I'd surmise that it's on sale in part because of the release of TrackComp which, if true, tells you something.

I used the Duende G-comp at release as part of the beta program. It's excellent and, at the time, better than nearly anything else out there.

Having said that, it's "cleaner" and more "clinical" than TrackComp's version. How you feel about that is basically a religious issue. It's also much older software.

I bought TrackComp.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I'm pretty sure the main reason for that sale was the previous similar waves sale on their G bus compressor ($29).

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
Regarding the Duende G-comp now on sale: I'd surmise that it's on sale in part because of the release of TrackComp which, if true, tells you something.

I used the Duende G-comp at release as part of the beta program. It's excellent and, at the time, better than nearly anything else out there.

Having said that, it's "cleaner" and more "clinical" than TrackComp's version. How you feel about that is basically a religious issue. It's also much older software.

I bought TrackComp.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehalph View Post
I'm pretty sure the main reason for that sale was the previous similar waves sale on their G bus compressor ($29).
Oh, could be. Didn't notice that sale as I've had the Waves SSL bundle since forever. But hasn't like, every individual Waves plug been fluctuating between full price and $29 for a year now?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I always try to avoid waves plugins – mainly because of their "price policy" – how it's even possible to sell something for X price one day and for X/10 for second day and think the buyers from the first day won't be angry (or disappointed at least) ? That's a parody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
Oh, could be. Didn't notice that sale as I've had the Waves SSL bundle since forever. But hasn't like, every individual Waves plug been fluctuating between full price and $29 for a year now?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehalph View Post
Yeah, but Waves is a licensee like UA... unless maybe they're mad about Waves finally splitting up the bundle.

The Duende is at least $10 better than the Waves, though... I've had all the Duende native stuff for years, going back to some of the hardware DSP before that (started with a Mini Musicians' Bundle... for little musos, I guess?).

I couldn't pass on the Waves more recently, either... both channels and the bus comp for less than $70 with discounts, but I could see not getting them or the Duende, either (the Relab developed X-Verb is my secret weapon, though).

I have the UAD and PA SSL, too (and PSP, NI, IK and now apparently defunct Odortone DSP... maybe some I'm forgetting)... oh, and two X-Racks with 9K and E channels, bus comp, summing and an X-Desk.

The UAD channel running Unison on an Apollo makes for a nice digital/DSP 'clone' near-realtime/tracking mini-console... anyway, who knows what's the best? (I will say my X-Logic hardware is hard to beat, especially with Total Recall on the X-Racks)

All that said, I'm still most excited about the DMG/Compact mode in Track Comp... kinda personally cloned out currently, no matter how good they are.

I'll come back around at some point, though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

LOL, hang on a second...

Quote:

Dave.
I wrote nothing about putting "a revD 76 across a whole mix".

I wrote about compressing a mid-range sound (i.e. one track) with a compressor plug-in (e.g. TrackComp). In this scenario, the compressor might introduce aliasing distortion across the entire frequency spectrum. This distortion compromises the clarity of a mix and robs headroom—particularly if I'm also compressing other individual sounds with other instances of TrackComp at the same moment in time. To remove the aliasing distortion from frequency ranges that are reserved for other sounds (e.g. remove aliasing artefacts from 40Hz to 120Hz for the benefit of kick, bass sounds, etc.), I'll need to further process my mid-range sound in some way (e.g. a filter), thereby introducing more artefacts that I don't want (e.g. phase distortion and ringing).

If TrackComp incorporated some kind of offline anti-aliasing feature (e.g. oversampling ... or whatever else is appropriate to tackle aliasing), I could freeze tracks that have instances of TrackComp and find comfort in the knowledge that the offline processing in these plug-ins will attenuate/remove aliasing. This solution still allows me to take advantage of TrackComp's relatively low CPU load when I'm searching for the right settings on a track in the context of a mix, yet it also allows me to remove aliasing altogether by freezing the processed track. I don't have to think about workarounds or additional processing, I can just get on with mixing.

I obviously don't understand the time and effort required to implement anti-aliasing features in TrackComp (whether those features relate to oversampling or some other approach), nor do I understand whether this time and effort would be an economical investment for DMG Audio, but I think it'd be a shame for you to invest 12 months of your life studying and recreating the behaviour of four hardware compressors, only to leave aliasing artefacts in the outputs.

You clearly pour your time, your brainpower and your energy into pushing DSP forward. It's obvious that your products are labours of passion. With all of that in mind, why settle for a compromise? Why not ensure that TrackComp is the best that it can be? It's these values that have fostered my fondness of DMG Audio's products, and Cytomic's products, and 2C Audio's products, etc. Y'all are the real deal of DSP

I can't speak on behalf of all other users, but for me, if the addition of anti-aliasing features in TrackComp increased its unit price, I'm willing to save additional money for an extra few weeks to purchase a product that is A+++, and to purchase a product that is going to serve me well for years to come. I'm all about the long game. I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on a smaller selection of high-quality plug-ins than oodles of cheap and nasty crap.
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

FWIW a lot of plug-ins sound better at 96k without over-sampling than they do at 44 or 48 with over-sampling. My experience with aliasing has been that it masks subtle detail in the mid-range as opposed to sounding like anything obvious has been added.

The track series have clearly been optimised for minimum latency and maximum efficiency so that a great many instances can be run at the same time. Engineering design is always a compromise. You can only improve one aspect by degrading another.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.beneton View Post
Yea, there are two models of Red 3. Older one with transformers (which everyone love, including myself) and a newer one without... Would be strange if emu would be without tranformers/mojo....
Worth pointing out- the transformers on the Red3 didn't change the sound any; just gave you better CMRR on the cabling.
Edit: Many people on the internet disagree with me, after some googling. All I can tell you is that I was sat with an audio precision and made measurements. It's flat.

Dave.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Engineering design is always a compromise. You can only improve one aspect by degrading another.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 1 week ago
Geariophile

Quote:
Worth pointing out- the transformers on the Red3 didn't change the sound any; just gave you better CMRR on the cabling.
Edit: Many people on the internet disagree with me, after some googling. All I can tell you is that I was sat with an audio precision and made measurements. It's flat.

Dave.
What's flat?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Geariophile

Quote:
Red 3 audio path -3dB at 5Hz -> 200kHz.

[ http://www.fullcompass.com/common/fi...d3Brochure.pdf ]

This matches what I measured, although granted we're talking... 15 years back now?

Dave.
Sure. But how does that mean the transformer version sounds identical to the one without trannies?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Sure. But how does that mean the transformer version sounds identical to the one without trannies?
Well he already said the transformer version has better CMRR, which means that in a complex studio environment with a lot of potential for EMI and other noise... it could in fact sound better.

It seems possible to me that it could very well be the cause if that is in fact the only major difference.

But that would also mean it's not worth emulating in software.
Old 1 week ago
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Well he already said the transformer version has better CMRR, which means that in a complex studio environment with a lot of potential for EMI and other noise... it could in fact sound better.

It seems possible to me that it could very well be the cause if that is in fact the only major difference.

But that would also mean it's not worth emulating in software.
My point was that frequency response alone isn't an arbiter of things sounding identical. Nor would I expect the Reds with and without trannies to sound the same, although I haven't compared.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search