The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Newfangled Audio partners with Eventide to announce Elevate mastering limiter plug-in
Old 6 days ago
  #151
Gear Addict
 

Thank you. I always print the mix first and keep both as separate sessions, but it seems from comments I've read especially lately that a lot of people mix and master all in one go, so that's why I wondered about Elevate's position here. Because of this I also wondered if maybe there is a reason for doing it that way (all in one go) other than just being pressed for time.

Hey, I still print the MIDI tracks before doing my mix, from the old days of slower computers but mostly for future compatibility when that VI may not be available anymore. It may be more time consuming but I still prefer to work that way.
Old 6 days ago
  #152
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
Thank you. I always print the mix first and keep both as separate sessions, but it seems from comments I've read especially lately that a lot of people mix and master all in one go, so that's why I wondered about Elevate's position here. Because of this I also wondered if maybe there is a reason for doing it that way (all in one go) other than just being pressed for time.

Hey, I still print the MIDI tracks before doing my mix, from the old days of slower computers but mostly for future compatibility when that VI may not be available anymore. It may be more time consuming but I still prefer to work that way.
I think it's just a matter of convenience for those who do both at once (they have everything there in the session and don't have to be switching projects). I've seen it quite a lot lately and while I'm 100% against that methodology I respect everyone's opinion and their work.
Old 6 days ago
  #153
Gear Maniac
 
DGillespie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I'm using the full 26 bands of MEL on both mixes and masters. This has replaced DMG Limitless in my chain.

A question for Dan: In the Transient section, under ADAPTIVE TRANSIENT the slider says SingleBand on the left and MultiBand on the right, with the slider being the % from 0%-100%. Can you explain what that means in more detail please? I read the manual but it didn't mention those two ends of the spectrum and how that relates to the slider position.
It's kind of a super weird algorithm that was difficult to parameterize. I find the best way to understand what's happening is to play a drum loop through Elevate (on 26 bands), go to the Transient page, and play with the Transient Emphasis and Adaptive Transient parameters while watching the transient emphasis meters. With Adaptive Transient all the way down you will see them all move together (Single Band Transient Emphasis). As you turn them up, you will see broad bands go up when the kick and the snare hit. Then as you turn it up further, you'll see different frequency sections hit for each drum/cymbal, then, all the way at the top, it's kind of a mad house with each band doing it's own thing (It sounds kind of hyper-real, too).

Dan
Old 6 days ago
  #154
Gear Nut
 
BadYodeler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
I also wondered if maybe there is a reason for doing it that way (all in one go) other than just being pressed for time.
One reason for this is to have unrestricted access to everything in the mix. If you are mastering a 2track, then whatever adjustment you make, you are restricted to peform these on that 2track. If you do stem mastering, you are more flexible but still every adjustment can only be made on the stems. Going further, having all tracks of a mix available provides the highest degree of flexibility. So basically I would think of doing it in one go as an extension to stem mastering.
Old 6 days ago
  #155
Gear Maniac
 
DGillespie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Does anyone have any tips for the low end? I've been using Limitless with the weighting ~-80% (to maintain bass). While there are a lot of things I like about Elevate so far, the bass response is currently giving me some issues (distortion, losing energy etc.)

I've been using the EDM Master as a starting point and have turned off the spectral clipping and using the same gain reduction as I was with Limitless.

I might try using Elevate for the transient features and Limitless as the main limiter, or split the gain reduction duties between the two.
The best and fastest way to improve the bass response is to look at the GAIN REDUCTION meter to see which band is taking the hit, and go to the LIMITER/EQ page and turn that band up.

Other things like ADAPTIVE GAIN and ADAPTIVE SPEED affect this, but this is really why that EQ is there (inside the limiter), to steer the adaptive algorithm to the desired solution.

Dan
Old 6 days ago
  #156
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Thanks for those details Dan. Very good to know that.

Perhaps you should include that in the manual for that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
It's kind of a super weird algorithm that was difficult to parameterize. I find the best way to understand what's happening is to play a drum loop through Elevate (on 26 bands), go to the Transient page, and play with the Transient Emphasis and Adaptive Transient parameters while watching the transient emphasis meters. With Adaptive Transient all the way down you will see them all move together (Single Band Transient Emphasis). As you turn them up, you will see broad bands go up when the kick and the snare hit. Then as you turn it up further, you'll see different frequency sections hit for each drum/cymbal, then, all the way at the top, it's kind of a mad house with each band doing it's own thing (It sounds kind of hyper-real, too).

Dan
Old 6 days ago
  #157
Gear Addict
 

Wow this has to be greatest limiter i ever worked with. Music is more loud yet it does retain source. I am getting better results then with IK limiter. Well..thez call it progress.

Highly recommended plugin.
Old 6 days ago
  #158
I'm really sold on the eq model. I like the thinking behind this and certainly am no limiter maven. I have FGX and this seems to be a much more sophisticated approach, with very specific control. The multiband approach like the eq, I think is brilliant, and getting both for $65- is a steal! It to me sounds very open and works seamlessly with the eq, maybe because they both hone in on the same frequencies? Amazing tools!
Old 6 days ago
  #159
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

I believe the EQ was extracted from the Limiter to create a stand alone plugin just based on the EQ section.
Old 6 days ago
  #160
Gear Maniac
 

Update works great now..thanks

The gui is rather large on my 15"laptop, i cant see the bottom...have you considered adding any size options?
Old 6 days ago
  #161
Gear Maniac
 
DGillespie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
Update works great now..thanks

The gui is rather large on my 15"laptop, i cant see the bottom...have you considered adding any size options?
I have. It's getting hard to make plug-ins that support everything from 13" laptops to 36" 4k monitors. I'd put some early work in on it a while ago, and will have to get back to it at some point.

Dan
Old 6 days ago
  #162
Gear Maniac
 
DGillespie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Thanks for those details Dan. Very good to know that.

Perhaps you should include that in the manual for that section.
Thanks, I've found that one of the things that happens when you release a product is people have questions, and I, as the developer, learn a lot about how to talk about it. There's a couple FAQ type things that have come up that I'll have to add.

I'm sure I'll get even more practice at AES next week.

Dan
Old 6 days ago
  #163
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
The best and fastest way to improve the bass response is to look at the GAIN REDUCTION meter to see which band is taking the hit, and go to the LIMITER/EQ page and turn that band up.

Other things like ADAPTIVE GAIN and ADAPTIVE SPEED affect this, but this is really why that EQ is there (inside the limiter), to steer the adaptive algorithm to the desired solution.

Dan
Dan just so I’m clear with this advice.

PitchSlap said he was getting distortion and losing energy with bass.

You are suggesting turning UP the bands that are getting the most gain reduction to deal with the issue reported by PitchSlap yes ??
As in increase the gain for those bands ?

Is it likely those bands will not be bass bands, so by increasing the level of those bands it will mean the bass bands will not get so much gain reduction (distortion, loss of energy), a bit like an internal sidechain Detector ?

Murray

Last edited by Beatworld; 6 days ago at 12:41 AM..
Old 6 days ago
  #164
Gear Maniac
 
DGillespie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Dan just so I’m clear with this advice.

PitchSlap said he was getting distortion and losing energy with bass.

You are suggesting turning UP the bands that are getting the most gain reduction to deal with the issue reported by PitchSlap yes ??
As in increase the gain for those bands ?

Is it likely those bands will not be bass bands, so by increasing the level of those bands it will mean the bass bands will not get so much gain reduction (distortion, loss of energy), a bit like an internal sidechain Detector ?

Murray
Yeah, if you're getting too much gain reduction such that it's making that band quieter, increase gain in that band to compensate. In my experience this is more often the case with bass bands (but maybe I just mix with too much bass).
Old 6 days ago
  #165
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
Yeah, if you're getting too much gain reduction such that it's making that band quieter, increase gain in that band to compensate. In my experience this is more often the case with bass bands (but maybe I just mix with too much bass).
Ok thanks for that, which means turning up the bass bands, not the sidechain concept I was rambling on about

I was confused because it seemed that turning up a bass band may increase the distortion PitchSlap was reporting.
Old 6 days ago
  #166
Gear Maniac
 
DGillespie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Ok thanks for that, which means turning up the bass bands, not the sidechain concept I was rambling on about

I was confused because it seemed that turning up a bass band may increase the distortion PitchSlap was reporting.
Oh, I understand. Distortion in this case is almost certainly coming from fast attack and release times, rather than overdrive. Pushing up the gain in a particular band will just cause the limiter to rebalance its gain reduction across the bands.

If you're still getting distortion try slowing down the Speed.

Dan
Old 6 days ago
  #167
Here for the gear
 

Dan, sorry to contact you here, but I sent a message to Eventide/Newfangled support about issues with undo not working correctly in Equivocate (when I hit undo, it often sets the slider to a different number, but not the previous number, which is strange). I'm noticing the same issues with the demo of Elevate. Haven't heard back from support, do you have any idea when I might?

I've also noticed another issue with Elevate: when I have gain lock on for switching between presets, it often changes the gain settings very subtly, even when switching BACK to a previous preset (which should have the same gain settings, cause it's the same preset!).

I'm using VST 2 on Windows 10.
Old 5 days ago
  #168
Gear Maniac
 
DGillespie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justuseaneq View Post
Dan, sorry to contact you here, but I sent a message to Eventide/Newfangled support about issues with undo not working correctly in Equivocate (when I hit undo, it often sets the slider to a different number, but not the previous number, which is strange). I'm noticing the same issues with the demo of Elevate. Haven't heard back from support, do you have any idea when I might?

I've also noticed another issue with Elevate: when I have gain lock on for switching between presets, it often changes the gain settings very subtly, even when switching BACK to a previous preset (which should have the same gain settings, cause it's the same preset!).

I'm using VST 2 on Windows 10.
Hi Justin,

It can often take a day or two for a support issue like that to get forwarded to me from Eventide (the vast majority of support issues are related to a small number of installer or iLok questions), and I haven't seen yours yet. Can you PM me with some steps do reproduce these issues and what DAW you're using and I'll look in to them?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 5 days ago
  #169
Gear Addict
 
PitchSlap's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
Oh, I understand. Distortion in this case is almost certainly coming from fast attack and release times, rather than overdrive. Pushing up the gain in a particular band will just cause the limiter to rebalance its gain reduction across the bands.

If you're still getting distortion try slowing down the Speed.

Dan
Thanks for the tip. I'll try slowing the speed down (it was set rather high) to help with the distortion.

I'll also use the EQ gain to retain the bass, I was also under the false impression that would just make the distortion problem worse, so thanks for the clarification that it will rebalance the gain reduction rather just raise the already problematic audio.

Related to this, one request I haven't seen yet is an adjustable HPF filter similar to Limitless (some may never use it, I always do).

The lowest band usually covers 0-100hz+ so being able to remove from 0-30Hz (or higher/lower to taste) could improve the bass response while also assuring there's nothing down there we don't want. Sure, there are other ways to do this, but and integrated/optimized solution would be great (and no one is forced to use it).

Last edited by PitchSlap; 5 days ago at 08:47 PM..
Old 5 days ago
  #170
Lives for gear
 

Wow, what a fantastic product (and price)! It isn’t going to replace Limitless for me personally, but it’s so good I can’t resist!
Old 5 days ago
  #171
Hi, Dan.

This one sound truly great. Thanks for this fabulous product.

Can I request a small feature?

It would be good to have the highest peak reduction value hold until resetting it.

Thank you.
Old 5 days ago
  #172
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkman View Post
Why is this not part of the Ensemble Bundle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1thedon View Post
It's not an Eventide product, it's developed by Newfangled Audio.
Well, the marketing campaign is very misleading then, since your plugins are on the Eventide website. Disappointing news to the loyal subscribers of Eventide.
Old 5 days ago
  #173
Gear Addict
 
mastermat's Avatar
 

just baught the plug in through plugindiscounts.com...I have recieved a serial number but no activation key. in ilok manager the elevate is still showing up as demo/trial. how can I activate my purchase? in the manual they say I have to register the product on eventide website before it shoes up in ilok manager. but how can I register if I don´t have an activation key? sorry if this question is dumb!
Old 5 days ago
  #174
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
just baught the plug in through plugindiscounts.com...I have recieved a serial number but no activation key. in ilok manager the elevate is still showing up as demo/trial. how can I activate my purchase? in the manual they say I have to register the product on eventide website before it shoes up in ilok manager. but how can I register if I don´t have an activation key? sorry if this question is dumb!
You should receive a new iLok licence which you need to activate. It will replace the demo/trial licence.
Old 5 days ago
  #175
Gear Addict
 
mastermat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
You should receive a new iLok licence which you need to activate. It will replace the demo/trial licence.
many thanks, so I just have to wait until it shows up in ilok manager? as I said at the moment it still shows up as demo/trial. how long does it usually take? and what do I need the serial for then? in the manual they say I have to register the plug in BEFORE it will show up in ilok manager...I´m confused...
Old 5 days ago
  #176
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
many thanks, so I just have to wait until it shows up in ilok manager? as I said at the moment it still shows up as demo/trial. how long does it usually take? and what do I need the serial for then? in the manual they say I have to register the plug in BEFORE it will show up in ilok manager...I´m confused...
I don’t think the registration requirement applies with iLok plugins.
I purchased it straight from the Eventide site so the iLok licence appeared pretty much immediately in my iLok account.
Sounds like the delay is the third party vendor.
Old 5 days ago
  #177
Gear Addict
 
mastermat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
I don’t think the registration requirement applies with iLok plugins.
I purchased it straight from the Eventide site so the iLok licence appeared pretty much immediately in my iLok account.
Sounds like the delay is the third party vendor.
thanks again, so I will wait!
Old 5 days ago
  #178
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
many thanks, so I just have to wait until it shows up in ilok manager? as I said at the moment it still shows up as demo/trial. how long does it usually take? and what do I need the serial for then? in the manual they say I have to register the plug in BEFORE it will show up in ilok manager...I´m confused...
Your plugindiscounts order has a serial and key. Create a free account at eventide and then use those to register a new product. Then it will show up in your iLok.
Old 5 days ago
  #179
Gear Nut
 
Stuart T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
thanks again, so I will wait!

You might have to register the number in the email on the eventide website to generate the ilok code.

Last edited by Stuart T; 5 days ago at 01:51 AM.. Reason: See above post
Old 5 days ago
  #180
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
just baught the plug in through plugindiscounts.com...I have recieved a serial number but no activation key. in ilok manager the elevate is still showing up as demo/trial. how can I activate my purchase? in the manual they say I have to register the product on eventide website before it shoes up in ilok manager. but how can I register if I don´t have an activation key? sorry if this question is dumb!
I think you have received the Activation Key, and didn't saw it.

On the email with the Serial Number it has the Key too. If you look better, you'll see, it is in the same line as the Serial.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump