The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FG-Stress Distressor Emulation - Now Available
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
If so, this would be a bummer. Even the old UAD Fatso is capable of oversampling / does not show audible signs of aliasing.
1:1 emulation without oversampling in 2017? This is a bit of a downer.
I apologize if i was not clear. Yes there is no oversampling in VMR "BUT" you should not automatically disregard it. Aliasing can be tuned and optimized. Take TuCo for example. Extremely low aliasing even without oversampling. The Glue have oversampling but even without it aliasing is way way below to begin with.

My point is oversampling does help but it's not that if plugin does not have it - it's not good automatically. And some developers really know their magic in tuning such things.

Regards.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
I apologize if i was not clear. Yes there is no oversampling in VMR "BUT" you should not automatically disregard it. Aliasing can be tuned and optimized. Take TuCo for example. Extremely low aliasing even without oversampling. The Glue have oversampling but even without it aliasing is way way below to begin with.

My point is oversampling does help but it's not that if plugin does not have it - it's not good automatically. And some developers really know their magic in tuning such things.

Regards.
I fully understand. But the last time I checked some of the VMR compressors the aliasing was pretty harsh that's why I'm asking. As the price tag isn't that low on the distressor I thought that they did their homework on that one.
Will wait for an oversampling option for the VMR range then.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
FG-Stress + Arousor = dream team for drums heaven
Really? Could you explain please. I would think they were pretty damn close in sound.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Really? Could you explain please. I would think they were pretty damn close in sound.
Interesting! I find Stress to be mid forward and brighter sounding than Novatron.
Stress and Novatron are a fantastic combination imo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just a quick question in FG-Stress. How do I turn both of the distortion buttons on together? Couldn’t figure it out today and love them both engaged on room mic’s

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
The Arousor has a few extra features which make it more versatile than an actual Distressor. You can open up both the attack and AtMod on the Arousor with a medium to fast release and then use the FG-Stress right after to round up those transients. Or you just can use The Arousor on individual drums tracks and then round up everything on the drumbuss with the FG-Stress. It really depends on the sound you're after (mid-forward or chocolate).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Just a quick question in FG-Stress. How do I turn both of the distortion buttons on together? Couldn’t figure it out today and love them both engaged on room mic’s

Cheers
You can't - it's either 2 or 3 (or none).
You can combine dist 2 or 3 with the hpf though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Weeell, you can kind of have both distortions.
Use serial Stresses, one without compression and just Dist.
Old 1 week ago
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
What are you playing now, the Hi*ler card?
No. That's reverse logic from you. See the definition of a Hitler card.

(Edit. Anyway, I see now that the thread seems to be much better on the track today. Sorry for this comment to other users. Not trying to de-rail it again.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Stress sounds awesome on everything I put it on. I have to try to diversify my compressor allocation on a mix so it doesn't have a 100% Distressor vibe.

To that end? How many Distressors do pro studios normally own? If I were to recreate my template with outboard, I'd probably need 8 of them. Even then I'd be having to print often. Just curious.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
Relax, it's OK. A thread can actually go in several directions at the same time, and sometimes it's best when it does just that.

Here's what I've learned so far:

(1) In terms of quality, Stress is probably a breakthrough plugin deserving of its purchase price or, if you prefer, a subscription to the Slate bundle.

(2) Some people like the subscription model for perfectly good reasons, others don't like it for perfectly good reasons.

(3) Some people like VMR, and others don't.

(4) The plugin business is evolving and very dynamic, and the people running the companies now doing the most interesting work are sometimes interesting in and of themselves.

(5) We end users have more access to the "thinking" of the visionaries in the plugin world than we've ever had before through forums like Gearslutz and the participation of people like Messrs Slate, Scott, and Johnson on these forums.

(6) And, finally: The moderators of this thread did the right thing by treating us like adults and leaving the thread alone.
You forgot the gazillion pages of rambling nonsense while waiting for the plug in to actually be released....... Those were good times!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
I fully understand. But the last time I checked some of the VMR compressors the aliasing was pretty harsh that's why I'm asking. As the price tag isn't that low on the distressor I thought that they did their homework on that one.
Will wait for an oversampling option for the VMR range then.
So you haven’t tried it. Maybe you should. It’s all about the SOUND. Not the specs.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Don’t you think that people can decide for themselves if they want subscription or not. Why do you have to go on about
this. People know how renting works. It’s not rocket science. It may not work for you but we don’t give a s**t.

And some guy talking about freedom of speech.....oh dear.
I think freedom of speech is one of this generation big misjudgments.
Freedom of speech doesn’t mean that you have to express your will whenever you have the chance no matter how inappropriate it is.
Of course the subscription is some what valid in this thread but YOU CAN CHOOSE
IF YOU DON’T WANT TO RENT.

And one more note. Emulating classics have always been the way of plugins since the beginning.
So the guy accusing slate for being behringer....there Are Very few developers who makes revolutionary
Plugins. Oeksounds, sound-radix etc.
But that goes to show that some people here just wanna Spread negativity.
They're coming to this thread to be informed remember? Since the thread lives here: "Home/News/New Product Alert!/FG-Stress Distressor Emulation - Now Available" It's only logical to cover the plugin from all angles.

You say renting works, maybe for some that may be true, but not for others, the why is the important part? Every situation is different and there is no harm in researching beyond an impulse buy.

Emulating classic hardware is not the only way to go for modern technology in the year 2017. Do we really need another company's spin or take on something that already exists in many forms? There's a discussion here on both sides, that's what makes a forum work.

Freedom of speech works both ways if you're honestly trying to have a debate or discussion. If it's just trolling or grandstanding that's another story.

And let's be totally honest, most people are using FG-STRESS because of the low priced subscription. So it's totally valid to mention that in the discussion, since people are most likely accessing it that way.

It would also be rational to speak about the need for an iLok, because you wouldn't be using it without one.

Or mentioning comparisons with Empirical Labs Arousor?

I could list several things that go beyond simply talking about presets, and if that's what you want to discuss, it's probably better to pick an appropriate place and title for it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokentenor View Post

Just tryin to help some brethren out
any way, you should try it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
First, whether you like it or not (and I'm ambivalent about it), Steven Slate now sits at the top of the plugin food chain, and he's gonna do what he wants to do. He's got the big ideas, the big talent, and probably by now, the big money. It's not that he doesn't have competition (he ain't Jeff Bezos, at least not yet) -- for now, Kush, UAD, PA, and Fab Filter can still keep him relatively honest. (UAD could probably do more than that if it weren't tied to its financially-savvy but value-killing thousand-dollar-dongle paradigm.) But, as Chris Johnson's brilliant analysis (a few posts above) makes clear: Slate's ambitions are huge, and he wants to dominate. Absent a massive backlash or some future spectacular failure (a Tandy mixer emu?), he probably will. He's a brilliant strategist, and I suspect he's been in a long game from the very beginning. This is not a guy that looks only at the quarterlies. His eyes are always on the ultimate prize.

Second, see Chis Johnson's ("ChrisJ") post (above). This is a very talented and respected developer who has a pretty decent read on Slate. He's probably pulling a few punches (because he's smart and doesn't want to be trampled like a bug under an elephant's foot at some point down the road), but it's basically a pretty astute assessment of Slate.

Third, I find it's almost impossible to dislike Steven Slate, the same way it was almost impossible to dislike, say, Steve Jobs or any of those other driven visionaries who love their own hype and can fairly reliably back it up. (This might be more an American thing than a European thing, this weakness for talented narcissists.) And I'm pretty sure Slate is much less of a jerk than Jobs was. And I don't doubt for a second that he's a risk-taker when it comes to his favorite ideas (like Raven or that mic modeling thing) –- perfectly willing to invest too much money in something that probably shouldn't pan out but probably will anyway -– and likely does more seventy-hour workweeks in a year than you and I have done in our entire lives. So, like I said, hard to dislike.

Finally, Steven Slate regularly comes on this forum and mixes it up with the best and worst of the Gearslutz community (including no-name hobbyists like myself). There is no compelling reason for him to do this. Perhaps it's just another cold and calculating component of his marketing strategy. But I suspect it's actually more than that, something human: He really does believe in his products and in his company, and he wants you to do the same. In the end, he just wants to be liked.
Great post.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Besides "serial Stresses" sounds much better than "serial Arousers" too many of them in the news lately.....

BTW to the above post. On a personal note, Steven has been very supportive when I've dealt with him about music, and I'm amazed he took the time he did, to critique and encourage me, on a project I was working on. I think many people lose sight of the fact that the guy is a pro, and understands music making.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Besides "serial Stresses" sounds much better than "serial Arousers" too many of them in the news lately.....

BTW to the above post. On a personal note, Steven has been very supportive when I've dealt with him about music, and I'm amazed he took the time he did, to critique and encourage me, on a project I was working on. I think many people lose sight of the fact that the guy is a pro, and understands music making.
I assume with that statement that you have used and gotten to know arouser (and for that matter, both plug-ins) pretty well.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hey guys, I totally don't want to interrupt this amazing episode of "Plugin Developer Battlestar Gallatica" but I wanted to suggest a cool trick with FG-Stress:

On full mix, start with mix at 0, then medium attack and release, NUKE, with about 10db of compression... then slowly ease up the mix knob between 2-10%.

I used this after the FG-Red (which I use on the CLA setting), to add some extra bigness and glue and it really works wonders on the right mix!

Carry On...

Steven
Great trick. Would love some more, Mr Slate, as FG-Stress continues to amaze me.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I think my memory is getting worse with age!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post

Last edited by Callison; 6 days ago at 01:12 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
That’s weird!
That's how the hardware functions.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversight View Post
Anybody claiming that Europeans can't be narcissistic have not been to Europe.

That Steve Jobs comment still bothers me because there is not a person on Earth that is flawless; Einstein was not that nice to some people close to him; but without him we would not have satellites floating around in space.

As far as the plug-in market is concerned it's sort of like the Music Industry.

The Majors control and and monetize music (back catalog etc.) but it don't stop kids from bypassing their touring/radio payola monopoly and making a few million dollars touring and releasing un-gentrified content in accordance to their norms and preferences.

So Steve is doing his thing which is great but it does not mean that all of the other players are going to evaporate because of his might.

If the developer mentioned is so great maybe he could start up another venture and eventually give Slate; a run for his money (and his mouth; sorry I could not stop myself after observing your previous Donald Trump distancing comments only to later attempting to encroach on others freedom of speech to enhance your brand and increase your market share).
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. Like none.

Did you mean to quote someone else?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Wow.

To attempt to return to the original topic, I own two Distressors and a Fatso and I have the Slate emulation. As much as any software can duplicate the hardware, the FG-Stress gets the job done. I get the same feel from the Slate (and feel is a huge part of using a Distressor) and can make adjustments to compensate for the differences. While nothing is 100%, it's an impressive piece of work.

Feel free to return to your pointless argument if you wish, but you're not convincing anyone (whichever side of it you're on).
30 pages and maybe - MAYBE - 3 pages of actual discussion of a worthwhile piece of software. Yikes.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I assume with that statement that you have used and gotten to know arouser (and for that matter, both plug-ins) pretty well.
I think he was just making a serial realist joke, not taking a pee pee on Arouser.

This thread is so tribal!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversight View Post
No Narcissistic business men in Europe; really??????

Even if you were a linguistics PhD like Noam Chomsky you could not defend that statement if you had Johnny Cochran defending your thesis.

Slate stomping out competing developers like an elephant??????

Okey-dokey......

As an atheist that assessment is sort of as insane as somebody back in the Roman days questioning the power structures that be; claiming to be able to turn water to wine and walk on water; only to be introduced to the reality of the jurisprudence of that era (I realize that English is not the strong suit of allot of people across the puddle and that everybody don't have the convenience of being around philosophers who actually got Phd's when drinking their wine on weekends......).

In plain English; I don't agree with some of your assumptions, that's all.

First of all, you quoted my post, which in it's entirety reads:

"Great post "

Second of all, since you can't seem to understand who's saying what, I went back and referenced what probably got you going on your little pet rant here.

I'm guessing your hackles are up from this statement, which again, is not mine:

Quote:
..I find it's almost impossible to dislike Steven Slate, the same way it was almost impossible to dislike, say, Steve Jobs or any of those other driven visionaries who love their own hype and can fairly reliably back it up. (This might be more an American thing than a European thing, this weakness for talented narcissists.)
Now, since you keep addressing me, and you seem to be in need of some reading comprehension help, I'll lend a hand. This person @blim, who's post I found cogent and well thought out, isn't saying there are no narcissists in Europe. Or anything like it. All they're saying is that, by their estimation, having a soft spot for "talented narcissists" may be more an American quirk rather than a global common trait.

Ok?

Again, I didn't say that, but I can't stand hubris so I'm helping you sort your thoughts out. If you're going to criticize a point, the least you can do is get the point.

As for the rest of your post, let me give you some advice - in plain English: you're trying too hard to sound academic and it's not working.

Last edited by Ragan; 6 days ago at 03:08 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

This is shaping up to be one of the most ridiculous threads in Gearslutz history. Or at least in the time I've been here.

There's nothing wrong with a slight tangent here and there, but this has veered so wildly off-course that I'm not even sure what's being discussed at this point. What started as a simple product announcement progressed to a heated debate about VMR + software subscriptions (which was fine... at first) and has now devolved into needless mudslinging and people delivering incomprehensible polemics against their philosophical opponents. Totally f*cking wild.

After 900 posts, everything that needs to be said about subscriptions and plugin racks has been said. These concerns have been thoroughly addressed. There's no need to keep pushing either point any further.

Do we REALLY need 30 more pages of pontificating on the socioeconomic implications of a plugin?

Last edited by tkaitkai; 6 days ago at 09:26 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
I've stopped using all the slate plugins, because of

the virtual rack, which is just a storefront masquerading as a convenience

the subscription model, which is a way to get more money out of my pocket masquerading as a convenience

Gobbler--the single biggest POS in software land, something designed to impose a middleman between you, ilok, and slate, offering zero advantages and an extra degree of complexity and "oh just open a support ticket," masquerading as a service.

I guess I could demo FG Stress? I have VMR, bought and paid for. But then let's see: gobbler, ilok, the rack again, come ons for the subscription set...

Oh I just looked I have to download the whole VMR package along with the FG Stress

It's just not worth it: it's just piling up stuff all over a basic task and it's like being constantly cluttered up with ads. Bad signal to noise ratio.

a long time ago Slate promised standalone versions of some things, like VCC. Not holding my breath

I dumped Photoshop when adobe went to subscription, and replaced it wth Acorn and Affinity; dumped microsoft and went to libre office, have dumped slate and any new products from softube or soundtoys because of subscriptions and subscription pimping.

I don't know where the tipping poont is for most customers, but for me it was reached a while ago
why don't you just leave this post and Slate behind and get on with your life?!
Life is short bro!
I'm lucky I guess because i'm living mine just wonderfully with FG-Stress and Co.
Best regards
Peter
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Moderators should clean or close this thread. From now on Gearslutz is Nutsslutz for me!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

In an attempt to get back on topic. I am loving FG-Stress and find myself using it across everything (mostly in moderation, sometimes not).

I had lost a bit of mojo recently trying to record an E.P. but a small studio upgrade and spending time with FG-Stress and the rest of the Slate plugs has got me back on track.

Big Hugs everyone,

TM x
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shire View Post
They're coming to this thread to be informed remember? Since the thread lives here: "Home/News/New Product Alert!/FG-Stress Distressor Emulation - Now Available" It's only logical to cover the plugin from all angles.

You say renting works, maybe for some that may be true, but not for others, the why is the important part? Every situation is different and there is no harm in researching beyond an impulse buy.

Emulating classic hardware is not the only way to go for modern technology in the year 2017. Do we really need another company's spin or take on something that already exists in many forms? There's a discussion here on both sides, that's what makes a forum work.

Freedom of speech works both ways if you're honestly trying to have a debate or discussion. If it's just trolling or grandstanding that's another story.

And let's be totally honest, most people are using FG-STRESS because of the low priced subscription. So it's totally valid to mention that in the discussion, since people are most likely accessing it that way.

It would also be rational to speak about the need for an iLok, because you wouldn't be using it without one.

Or mentioning comparisons with Empirical Labs Arousor?

I could list several things that go beyond simply talking about presets, and if that's what you want to discuss, it's probably better to pick an appropriate place and title for it.
I say that if renting works for you then thats the way to go. If not then do not go with it. I do whats works for me and you do what works for you. right...?
And I think that each and every person can decide for themselves. Again. Nothing hard about understanding renting.

And I never said anything about emulation is the only way to go. Where did you get that from?
I said that emulation has been there from the beginning and will probably be here for a long time. You cant put words in other people mouths.

And you dont know if most people use FG-Stress because its low-priced subscription. And if they do then thats a very good argument for having a suscription.

Comparisons with other plugins... Yes that is very valid.
Talking about iLok. Not so. We have alot of threads about that topic.
If you dont know how iLoks work then google it. Everyone can do that.
Do you know what else we need to use FG-Stress?
Electricity, Computer, Monitor, Headphones etc,etc. Shall we talk about how expensive the electricty market is or do you buy a perpetual electrical licenses because you dont like to pay bills every month?

I dont understand why you feel the urge to inform people about stuff they already know and can decide on their own. Doesnt mean that you are wrong in some of the things you say.But each to their own decision.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search