The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cupwise Nebula Release- LunchPail Compressor
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Software Cupwise Nebula Release- LunchPail Compressor

So I've finally got myself motivated to release this compressor, which I've had mostly done since January, and actually sampled a few years ago!

JPN did a great skin for it for use with Nebula 4!! So thank you JPN! (and also thanks to Rich for testing!)

'Based on' a compressor design with a revered ancestry, and very strong ties to one of the most popular current compressors out there (typically viewed as a bus comp but equally good in mixes and for mastering), these programs are super versatile. Fully adjustable attack control, from fast, almost instant (can be instant with a tiny bit of look-ahead), to pretty slow 200+ ms attacks (which the hardware can't do), which I personally almost never use but they're there! I put extra effort into getting the attack shape just right, using some really hacky methods with Nebula's programming to achieve attacks that are like what the hardware does.

You have hard knee, soft knee, and a bonus set of programs for 'combo' knee which include both knees and a 'knee' control that allows you to transition between them and effectively get a medium knee, which is very cool and works great, even if it can be subtle. You also get programs for feedback or feedforward detection modes, and even 50/50 programs using a bit of both. The detection modes and knees allow you to get results from 'vintage' to 'modern' and in between.

You can check out the manual for more info, but most importantly you can grab the demo program(s) to check out some of the compression action for yourself! The demos are limited in some ways (explained by the .txt that comes with them), but it should be enough to give you an idea!

LunchPail Compressor | Cupwise FX

-----------------
There's also a limited time bundle offer-
You can buy this and my recent Plates of Legend III (gold plated) release together and save an addition $12 on top of the $5 off introductory price on this library. Also, if you already have PoL III you can email me for a discount off of this library equaling the savings you’d get from buying this bundle (contact me through contact form or by email directly to set that up).
--------------------------------
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Very interested - will check this out when back from hols!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not fixed attack so not the 525

if it's 2500 flavor maybe the 527?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
225L? But that is the source of the 527..

Last edited by Shaolin; 1 week ago at 02:41 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

i think you took my cowbell the wrong way

just check the demo program and see if you think it sounds good
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I did indeed take your cowbell wrongly. I thought that sound we all love and remember from the 80s meant wrong (as it always was...)

Anyway I have tried your 527 and it is superb. No need for pink. Love it. Bought it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just tried the demo and feels good, man. Acts like I would expect. A lot better tone than the compressor on Pink, btw (don't know if it is the same device, but it's API).

The demo doesn't have the JPN skin, but, seeing the images, it is gorgeous. Congrats.

Edit: I set it up pretty aggressive on some kick and snare. Compared to Waves 2500, and they are similar, LunchPail is slightly better to me. The compressor is spot on, which is something I had only seem in Nebula land with TimP releases.

Nice job, Cupwise!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Wow surprised that Waves could be that good!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

have you ever tried any of my other compressors?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Wow surprised that Waves could be that good!
People like to bash Waves, but they get you in the ballpark. Sometimes more, like their SSLs and API, and sometimes less, like their 1176 and LA2A, unusable to me.

UAD and Nebula get you the extra mile. In this case of the API compressor, the UAD 2500 was the best one to me by far. This Lunchpail may be equally good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise View Post
have you ever tried any of my other compressors?
Yes, the 660 and Flucti Mew. I wasn't impressed. But to tell you the truth, when i tried, i wasn't looking for a Fairchild neither a Manley.

With this Lunchpail I may visit the others again.
Old 1 week ago
Jus
Lives for gear

C660 is my go-to for vocals, really hard to beat.

I will give this one a try for other purposes, though!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
C660 is my go-to for vocals, really hard to beat.

I will give this one a try for other purposes, though!
Flucti is a stunner
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Same here, Flucti and C660 are so good that they literally have brought tears in my eyes :D I bought Lunchpail but really have just made a fast check with it.. I think it's going to find its way on my mixes sooner or later.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The slick compressor is probably my favourite neb comp and in my top ITB comps period.Defintely gonna try the demo see what's up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiejaxx View Post
The slick compressor is probably my favourite neb comp and in my top ITB comps period.Defintely gonna try the demo see what's up.
Hard or soft knee? Drums and percussion or more?

Curious. Looking at it myself.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Hard or soft knee? Drums and percussion or more?

Curious. Looking at it myself.
You will not regret it,i used to be into aggressive compression and like to control the crap outta my signal,the slick (9000K) is sooo transparent yet sooo effective you can crazy compress yet no squashing of the signal,still open and clean yet has a sound.

TBH i think i use the hard knee mostly but it's just out of it being a preset rather than comparison.

Long story short ,if i had tried this comp ages ago i most likely would have not bought any more compressors after.

It made me realise what the all the Hardware fuss was about and how much easier it is for the guys that have the real hardware.Use the pass thru with it as well, i think it'll be under pre-amps.

I would recommend this 100% and based on the demo of this lunch pail looks like my API channel strip template is here.

Hint for knoobs or people curious about the sound,power and control difference,grab the CMpink (it's free) and this lunchpail compressor...use it with an instance of the pre first and you have hands down the best Api channel strip for $30 total (don't know if the knee is split) and definitely in the top 3.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

you do get hard and soft knee together. and you get some programs that have both knees and a control to transition between them, allowing 'medium' knees. unfortunately that one (the combo knee programs) takes up a lot more cpu so i have to call it a bonus just in case it doesn't run on anyone's system. i have to run it in lite mode and audition and render in full or shq, and i run an i7 4930k overclocked up to 4.5ghz. but you can probably get better performance if you increase the nebula dspbuffer (or use the 'reverb' instance of nebula 3, which has a higher buffer setting already).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
you do get hard and soft knee together. and you get some programs that have both knees and a control to transition between them, allowing 'medium' knees. unfortunately that one (the combo knee programs) takes up a lot more cpu so i have to call it a bonus just in case it doesn't run on anyone's system. i have to run it in lite mode and audition and render in full or shq, and i run an i7 4930k overclocked up to 4.5ghz. but you can probably get better performance if you increase the nebula dspbuffer (or use the 'reverb' instance of nebula 3, which has a higher buffer setting already).
Gave the demo a quick test last night and i was like FFS ,gonna properly test today and in true Gearslut fashion probably do unnecessary shootouts and comparisons even though i can tell it does the job exceptionally well and sounds great.

BTW and plans of skins for the Slick comp in N4 ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

not really what i would call a plan, but it's maybe possible, but it would be down the road. i requested the ability for buttons in nebula 3 skins several years ago, which could be used to switch programs without resetting the controls, which would allow me to have buttons that would switch between lite, full, and shq modes. that way you could just click 'shq' button before render and it'd switch to that program without you losing your control settings. that got added into nebula 3 after i requested it, and i used that in the flucti-mew skin (by jpn), and also an unreleased 609 skin (that was actually intended for an acqua release but i cant do that now).

acustica decided not to include that feature in n4 skin language so i don't care too much about n4 skins, personally. i know some people like them but, imo the default nebula skin looks just fine. if the skin can't add any additional functionality it seems kind of pointless to me. BUT jpn likes doing them and people still like them, so it may happen that we get N4 skins for some of my older stuff but that's mostly up to him, and when i ask him to do skins i have to prioritize.

in my mind though, there are probably far more users still just on N3, and the N3 skins actually offer additional function... so i think i'd rather have more of those.

Last edited by Cupwise; 1 week ago at 02:34 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
not really what i would call a plan, but it's maybe possible, but it would be down the road. i requested the ability for buttons in nebula 3 skins several years ago, which could be used to switch programs without resetting the controls, which would allow me to have buttons that would switch between lite, full, and shq modes. that way you could just click 'shq' button before render and it'd switch to that program without you losing your control settings. that got added into nebula 3 after i requested it, and i used that in the flucti-mew skin (by jpn), and also an unreleased 609 skin (that was actually intended for an acqua release but i cant do that now).

acustica decided not to include that feature in n4 skin language so i don't care too much about n4 skins, personally. i know some people like them but, imo the default nebula skin looks just fine. if the skin can't add any additional functionality it seems kind of pointless to me. BUT jpn likes doing them and people still like them, so it may happen that we get N4 skins for some of my older stuff but that's mostly up to him, and when i ask him to do skins i have to prioritize.

in my mind though, there are probably far more users still just on N3, and the N3 skins actually offer additional function... so i think i'd rather have more of those.
I think that Acustica should put these features in N4. I think all of us that want N4 to have this ability should let Acustica know. I started a thread on the Acustica forum in which I requested this ability for N4. Feel free to add your voices to that thread or somehow let them know that you want this feature.

To be clear, I'm not directing this @ Cupwise, he requested these abilities way before I ever even knew that this was an issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

as far as i know i was the only one to ever use it in nebula 3, so it's probably not going to be a priority for them to put it in n4.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
I think that Acustica should put these features in N4. I think all of us that want N4 to have this ability should let Acustica know. I started a thread on the Acustica forum in which I requested this ability for N4. Feel free to add your voices to that thread or somehow let them know that you want this feature.

To be clear, I'm not directing this @ Cupwise, he requested these abilities way before I ever even knew that this was an issue.

Quote:
as far as i know i was the only one to ever use it in nebula 3, so it's probably not going to be a priority for them to put it in n4.
Ahhhh ok good to know and thanks for the quick reply..i'll add to the thread but yeah i won't hold my breath on that happening soon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiejaxx View Post
Ahhhh ok good to know and thanks for the quick reply..i'll add to the thread but yeah i won't hold my breath on that happening soon.
In the thread that I made in the Acustica, I requested three different things and gave descriptions to describe what I meant.

1. Global Linking
2. Program Toggles
3. HQ Rendering

giancarlo responded to it a while ago:

Unread post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:18 am :

1) yes in the future
2) already implemented in the new n4 library format, first libraries will be released before the end of the year
The toggle inside the same library is a mess, this is the reason why we are sandboxing libraries (and the new n4 format takes care fo it)
3) we are trying to avoid this mess, we'll drop completely the support of rendering modes; maybe we'll find an other way
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In the thread that I made in the Acustica, I requested three different things and gave descriptions to describe what I meant.

1. Global Linking
2. Program Toggles
3. HQ Rendering
[/B]

2 and 3 seem a bit redundant. also, the 'SHQ' programs are my own creation. as far as i know nobody else was doing anything like that (alternate, higher quality programs for rendering only) before i started making them. i don't know if other devs are at all. not that that makes my releases better than theirs, it's just a different style of presentation. i do it as a bonus, and it's different in each case. there's no standard for it, is what i'm saying. it's whatever i decide to do to make a slightly higher quality version when i'm doing that library.

i think some people have always been skeptical that my shq programs are any better, and fair enough. but there are actual real differences. the obvious thing is that they used TIMED mode. it was said in the past (by acustica themselves) that TIMED mode is 'higher quality'. personally i don't really believe it is, now. BUT it allowed for faster program rates than FREQD allowed, in nebula 3. and *that* was the real benefit, and that's a very real difference. it allows for smoother attacks, for just one example.

now, in my latest comps all versions are using the same program rate, which makes things easier for me to manage when developing/testing (prog rates can affect the attack/release behavior so i would have to test/adjust that separately for shq compared to the other versions in the past). so now the biggest difference is that my SHQ versions use longer impulses. this produces a more accurate frequency response (very subtle but it can be seen in an analyzer) and imo probably gives you more tone from the hardware, but this is all very subtle.

so my point is that there's no standard, it's my own thing, and i really don't see how acustica could make nebula automatically recognize something like that and switch to it for rendering. i like having full control over what i do for my SHQ programs too so i really don't want them getting involved in something like that. besides, if you got that, why would you need the program toggle buttons anymore?

another thing- about the program toggles, his answer to that makes me think he's not talking about the same thing you're requesting. not only myself but JPN who did the skin for lunchpail, we both asked G about buttons to switch programs without losing settings and he said it's not in N4 (and won't be). sounds weird where he says 'first libraries using it will be out soon'. maybe only acustica is allowed to use it? he didn't answer about 3rd party libraries being able to. but it sounds like maybe something different anyway.

in any case if something like that ever does get added to the n4 skin language i will try to get JPN to add it in. while you're at it though, maybe you should request that a predelay control be added in for reverbs. at least in n4 programs, although it should've been in n3 since day one as well. SIR the free convolution reverb plugin had that and more, like 15 years ago.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
2 and 3 seem a bit redundant. also, the 'SHQ' programs are my own creation... there's no standard for it, is what i'm saying. it's whatever i decide to do to make a slightly higher quality version when i'm doing that library.

...i think some people have always been skeptical that my shq programs are any better, and fair enough. but there are actual real differences.

so my point is that there's no standard, it's my own thing, and i really don't see how acustica could make nebula automatically recognize something like that and switch to it for rendering. i like having full control over what i do for my SHQ programs too so i really don't want them getting involved in something like that. besides, if you got that, why would you need the program toggle buttons anymore?
Two and three do seem a little redundant, I guess. But, number three is an automatic, specific thing meant only to happen during offline processing. Of course, I would want developers like you to maintain full control of the functionality & timing of your programs. I don't know how Acustica would implement it, but I was kinda hoping that maybe Acustica could make it so that the devs would be able to create and choose the programs available for automatically rendering something with a given library (LE, HQ, or SHQ in your case). I didn't mean that I want Acustica to decide on what programs get used. And, I didn't want Acustica to change the timings of programs to settings other than what the devs chose to fine-tune their libraries. Again, number three was just to make the rendering process automatic. Maybe this is something that should be built into Nebulaman, Nebula Setups, or some separate app. Either way, if possible, I'd want to automatically render with the exact same settings that I had on the LE program versions.

I'm obviously not a 3rd party devoloper or a programmer, so I don't know whether or not this actually is possible. But, I'm thinking of it like a sort of internal Nebula automation. If 'Program Toggles' existed in N4 and Acustica replaced the current QUALITY setting on the MAST page with a user-selectable a list of up to maybe three to ten programs (each of which would be created by the developers and arranged in a possibly universalised Nebula format - from lightest to heaviest), would it be possible to program N4 to do something like this with a kind of internal program automation?

What if the user simply saw one of these options for the new PROGRAM QUALITY (or PROG QUAL) parameter? (The timings of each individual program would be set by the developer. And, the numeric values of each QUALITY setting are simply representations of developer assigned & created programs.)

PROGRAM QUALITY 1 (LE program)
PROGRAM QUALITY 2(HQ program)
PROGRAM QUALITY 3 (SHQ program)

(I'm using PROGRAM QUALITY 2, to represent your HQ program for my example, BTW. I acknowledge that I am using your language, here. And, fully recognize and appreciate that this is a special, non-standard thing that you do with your programs. It's just that I think you have a great idea and that I hear and have personally experienced the differences between your LE, HQ, and SHQ programs for myself.)

Can't N4 be programmed to do this:

If rendering (assuming N4 can detect realtime conditions), check PROGRAM QUALITY.
Is PROGRAM QUALITY 2 slot listed?
If NO, then process.

If YES:
Is PROGRAM QUALITY 2 selected? If yes, then process.
If no, switch to PROGRAM QUALITY 2, then process.

Again, I'm not a programmer, but would it be possible for Acustica to program N4 to automatically detect rendering mode and switch programs via the 'program toggles' just for rendering? Since I can automate program changes from Cubase, I don't see why N4 can't force a simple temporary internal program change.

If it could be done, 'Program Toggles' would still be necessary because I'd like for third party devs to be able to toggle anything from one skin, which would allow cleaner and more efficient layouts and loading. I think that Lunchpail would be more efficient if I only had to load Lunchpail once in N4. Major program types* (keeping in line with the layout of the Lunchpail skin) could be placed on the outer rotary knob of the dual concentric pot (with detection modes A-C on the inner knob). I guess I don't see why one should restrict 'program toggles' to only PROGRAM QUALITY selection.

*Major program types:

#1 = Hard Knee compressor programs.
#2 = Soft Knee compressor programs
#3 = Knee Select programs
#4 = Pass through program"

Quote:
another thing- about the program toggles, his answer to that makes me think he's not talking about the same thing you're requesting. not only myself but JPN who did the skin for lunchpail, we both asked G about buttons to switch programs without losing settings and he said it's not in N4 (and won't be). sounds weird where he says 'first libraries using it will be out soon'. maybe only acustica is allowed to use it? he didn't answer about 3rd party libraries being able to. but it sounds like maybe something different anyway.
I noticed that, too. I wanted more clarity from him as to how this will work for third party developer's libraries.

Quote:
in any case if something like that ever does get added to the n4 skin language i will try to get JPN to add it in. while you're at it though, maybe you should request that a predelay control be added in for reverbs. at least in n4 programs, although it should've been in n3 since day one as well. SIR the free convolution reverb plugin had that and more, like 15 years ago.
Predelay is a great idea! I've been using a delay plugin in Cubase in front of your chambers. That would help me drop a plugin from the chain, thus freeing up CPU resources.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
another thing- about the program toggles, his answer to that makes me think he's not talking about the same thing you're requesting...maybe only acustica is allowed to use it? he didn't answer about 3rd party libraries being able to. but it sounds like maybe something different anyway.
I suppose it's pointless for me to go on dreaming up things for N4, especially when I don't even know the rules of the game.

Anyway, I asked Giancarlo to clarify things a bit on the N4 'program toggle' situation.

Post by wagz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:09 am

"Sorry to bother you about this again. But, for the sake of clarity, when the new format is here, will the third party developers also be able to use # 2 (program toggles) for their libraries?"

Post by giancarlo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:47 am

"I think I explained it many times - it is a long explanation
I'll create a global post on the forum"

Postby giancarlo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:26 am

"I think this answers to all your questions.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30174

Program toggles are supported in new n4 format"

You should definitely go check out that global post. It has more details about how things will work in the future for third party developers.

Quote:
while you're at it though, maybe you should request that a predelay control be added in for reverbs. at least in n4 programs, although it should've been in n3 since day one as well.
I took your advice and requested pre-delay for N4. Here's Giancarlo's response:

Postby giancarlo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 am

"It was added recently- for ebony
It's part of coreX"

Last edited by wagz; 1 week ago at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

You should definitely go check out that glogbal post. It has more details about how things will work in the future for third party developers.
i'll check it out when i have time but i'm still skeptical that he's added that back into nebula.

Quote:

I took your advice and requested pre-delay for N4. Here's Giancarlo's response:

Postby giancarlo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 am

"It was added recently- for ebony
It's part of coreX"
so is coreX part of nebula 4? is nebula 4 ever going to get predelay? or just their acquas? imo that's kind of crazy if they leave something so basic out of nebula, while updating it to Nebula 4, still not adding that in, even though it easily could've been in 3, and yet they're going to put it in their acquas? again, i understand holding some things back, but pre-delay is a super basic feature for reverbs, and keeping that only in their acquas just really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. why put a new nebula out if it's going to be crippled so it can't compete with acqua?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

so is coreX part of nebula 4? is nebula 4 ever going to get predelay? or just their acquas? imo that's kind of crazy if they leave something so basic out of nebula, while updating it to Nebula 4, still not adding that in, even though it easily could've been in 3, and yet they're going to put it in their acquas? again, i understand holding some things back, but pre-delay is a super basic feature for reverbs, and keeping that only in their acquas just really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. why put a new nebula out if it's going to be crippled so it can't compete with acqua?
I'm guessing that N4 is in a sort of temporary state until the new format is introduced. Also, it looks like N3 third party developers have sign on as N4 third party developers and only N4 will have global linking, 'Program Toggles', and pre-delay. At some point, N3 will be no longer supported, I think.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search